Web Hosts

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Web Hosts
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #0
I'm thinking about making my own web page, but I have no idea what web host would be best. I've seen people on these boards using a variety of different hosts for their own sites, so I figured where better to ask for advice.

I want it to be free, reliable, not many popups or banners, and relatively easily used. If anyone has suggestions, please include a link to the company's site.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
BANNED
Member # 6074
Profile #1
You could use freewebs, it's easy to use, and there aren't that many ads. You could also try geocities from Yahoo.

Edit: Oh yeah, here are the links to them:

http://members.freewebs.com/

http://geocities.yahoo.com/

[ Saturday, April 15, 2006 09:35: Message edited by: Chaotic Wisdom ]

--------------------
---------------------------------
Live long and prosper.
Viva mucho tiempo y prospere.
Habiter long et prospérer.
Leben Sie lang und prosperieren Sie.
Lever lang og prosper.
Longos vivos e prosper.
Lunghi in tensione e prosperano.
???????????
?????????
???? ? ????.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
I recommend piggybacking on Arancaytar's service. His ISP is remarkably good about hosting all sorts of legal and contralegal entities.

:)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #3
Well, I use freewebs and it works fine. But Aran, can you host a site for me with PHP and MySQL enabled?

--------------------
-ben4808
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #4
If you're looking for a .com webpage service, GoDaddy Has proved very useful for me.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #5
I use SPHosting. Of course, I've got a paid subscription and a domain name, but their free service is pretty decent.

[ Saturday, April 15, 2006 15:36: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #6
Thank you for all the advice, I decided to use geocities because I already had a yahoo account.

I'll link the page to my sig when I'm finished with it, which won't be for a while.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
I have my web site at aran's, who was very kind to offer me the space. I can also recommend, above all, www.50megs.com. If you ever would like to remove the ads and have a paid site, than 50megs is the cheapest alternative I found. Angelfire and geocities ash about $5, while 50megs will already remove the ads at about $1,50.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #8
I use my Universities web space, so I can't be much help here.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #9
Speaking of UCF(you do go there right?) I'll be passing through this week.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #10
Cool, are you considering going here?

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #11
I've had experience with following hosts:

Geocities: http://geocities.yahoo.com/
Pros:
- My site has been up for almost 5 years, including about a year during which all visitors were redirected to another site.
Cons:
- Intrusive ads, including pop-ups. (Although everybody has a pop-up blocker nowadays.)
- Hourly transfer limit. This is the real killer if your site is intended to have heavy spikes in traffic. (For example, posting "look at my new graphics" will produce a spike as people see your thread for the first time, making your site unavailable to all but first few viewers.)

Hosting by an online friend:
Pros:
- No ads, high transfer limit.
Cons:
- Tend to disapper without warning if the friend loses interest, forgets to pay his ISP, etc. Or disappear with warning if friend leaves the community. (I've seen this in every online community I've been in, sometimes with important sites people got used to relying on.)

In conclusion, I'd recommend against hosting by a friend, unless you know that person well in real life.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
For the record, I've been here nearly 3 years and don't have immediate plans for leaving soon. Unless I die or something. Which can happen anytime, of course, so I wouldn't rely too much on my hosting. ;)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #13
Are you hosting anyone else, Aran? If so, check your email, I'm somewhat intrested.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #14
Solution: rely on Aran AND back up your files. If he spontaneously combusts, you can always go to Geocities or Freewebs.

Aran: would I be able to use Ermarian? It's going to be a while yet before I finish my scenario, but it'd be nice to have something lined up. Thanks.

EDIT: Wow. I write about Aran spontaneously combusting, and someone with that PDN posts just before me asking him for hosting. It's a wild, wild world.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
If I'm eating dinner with the hero, put poison in his goblet, then have to leave the table for any reason, I will order new drinks for both of us instead of trying to decide whether or not to switch with him.

[ Monday, April 17, 2006 12:11: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Kuranes-:

For the record, I've been here nearly 3 years and don't have immediate plans for leaving soon. Unless I die or something. Which can happen anytime, of course, so I wouldn't rely too much on my hosting. ;)
I wasn't implying that you are particularly unreliable. Sorry if it sounded that way. (Many of the examples I am thinking of aren't from this community anyway and some involved very respected people.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Smugglers' Alliance, Chief of the:

Cool, are you considering going here?
It's on my very exclusive list, which means its one of a few colleges I would be interested in even if they didn't offer me a full ride.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

quote:
Originally written by Kuranes-:

I wasn't implying that you are particularly unreliable. Sorry if it sounded that way. (Many of the examples I am thinking of aren't from this community anyway and some involved very respected people.)

No, I wasn't implying I was offended or anything. I just realized that I'd been setting myself up for a lot of important stuff in this place, and that it'd be hell if I suddenly vanished without warning. So I wanted to reassure.
:P

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #18
Dikiyoba thinks that Freewebs will delete any account that hasn't been accessed for 60 days and whose site hasn't had any hits for 60 days as well.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #19
Are you going to host sites for us or not?

I'm seeing an implies yes, barring spontaneous death, but you didn't actually say.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Solution: rely on Aran AND back up your files. If he spontaneously combusts, you can always go to Geocities or Freewebs.

Aran: would I be able to use Ermarian? It's going to be a while yet before I finish my scenario, but it'd be nice to have something lined up. Thanks.

EDIT: Wow. I write about Aran spontaneously combusting, and someone with that PDN posts just before me asking him for hosting. It's a wild, wild world.

--------------------
If I'm eating dinner with the hero, put poison in his goblet, then have to leave the table for any reason, I will order new drinks for both of us instead of trying to decide whether or not to switch with him.

If it's a scenario you want to have hosted, I'm working on this dynamic, database-driven website for scenarios, scenario reviews and custom graphics that users can upload on their own. Tentatively titled "The Blades Forge". On one hand, it's not quite done yet, but on the other, neither is your scenario, so that equals out. :) I might have some screenshots here.

[ Tuesday, April 18, 2006 12:15: Message edited by: Kuranes- ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #21
Looks nice. 'Eye of the Storm' by Alcritas for BoA? Yet another BoA scenario not on SpidWeb?

I suppose a ScenarioForge will be sufficient. I'll cross the bridge of hosting when/if I have anything else useful to contribute to the community.

--------------------
If a group of henchmen fail miserably at a task, I will not berate them for incompetence then send the same group out to try the task again.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #22
Bravo for using the Thunderbird icon for email

[ Tuesday, April 18, 2006 13:38: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Looks nice. 'Eye of the Storm' by Alcritas for BoA? Yet another BoA scenario not on SpidWeb?
It's nonsense data used as filler. :P

Tyran: If I were going to be even more biased, I'd use the Gmail icon. I wondered about what icon would be most neutral, but there was no way I would use Outlook, so I took Thunderbird.

--

I just noticed you included the IRC channel on SorceryNet in your sig. Note that I also installed a web-based cgi client on http://irc.ermarian.net that can also connect to the channel for those people who have no IRC client or have a firewall. :)

[ Wednesday, April 19, 2006 04:30: Message edited by: Kuranes- ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #24
I'd like to vouch for SiteMouse. Both me and Drakey use it, so it does work.

It has no adverts, no pop-ups, but does have a 3mb filesize limit, so it's pretty useless if you want to host scenarios or whatever. It's pretty easy to use though... your call.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...

Pages