No New Topics For A Day (Monday the 13th)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: No New Topics For A Day (Monday the 13th)
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #0
I could be overracting to the situation, but it seems like whenever I look at the boards now, there are about a dozen new topics every day, from hoards of equally pre-discussed polls to bunches of game ratings. Not to slight the authors of these worthy topics, but it seems like General is just getting darn cluttered. Individual topics are losing the thought, creativity and originality that once went in to them, and are being taken merely for granted now. So, just to give everyone some breathing time, I propose that starting at 12:01 AM (EST, because it seems like the time zone most members live in), on Monday, March 13th, 2006, nobody posts a new topic for 24 hours. It's kind of like giving new topics up for Lent, but in this case, Lent is one day long.

Even if no-one else participates, the day will at least be free of topics authored by Robin. So, who will join me in this one day demonstration?

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
I will gladly join in the demonstration, even though I don't start many topics anyway.

Now, if we can just get arghhhhhhhhh in on this...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #2
I'll join in. I don't make any topics anyway. It'll be hard convincing arghhhhhhhhh, though.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #3
I agree with you and I will join the demonstration. I mean it not like we can't post on the boards at all.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #4
Easy for me to join you... the only topic I've ever made was a tongue-in-cheek protest against all the polls being put on the forums.

What we need is some way to stop other members from posting... we need a mod to join the cause.

--------------------
There are some who call me... Tim.
- Tim (The Quest for the Holy Grail)
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #5
Hmmm. A thought just occured to me. What if we made this an annual thing? Likely not going to happen, but maybe worth it.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
No creating topics? Why, this will be as easy and as natural for Dikiyoba as "National Change Your Name Day" (Feb. 13) was for Alorael.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Pizzaking:

Hmmm. A thought just occured to me. What if we made this an annual thing? Likely not going to happen, but maybe worth it.
It'd be more helpful if it were a monthly event, honestly.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Pizzaking:

It'd be more helpful if it were a monthly event, honestly.

That's even better! The second monday of each month! Anyone else agree?

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
Heck, why not have them weekly. Make a Spiderweb Sabbath day, and make some kind of deuteroCoCical law about it. :P

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #10
Weekly might be pushing it. Monthly is what I vote for, but eh could be worth it.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #11
I agree with Slarty.

[ Saturday, March 11, 2006 14:13: Message edited by: Shuan Wuan ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
Well, not to throw in a monkey wrench to your glorious uprising (all hail the uprising), but what if someone actually had a valid and timely topic? Do we propose that it is valid to put off a discussion on the imminent invasion of Iran just because it happens to be Monday?

I'm not trying to queer this because I begin a lot of junk topics, freely admitted, but because I see serious problems with a blanket denial of self specific to a preordained day of the week or month.

Maybe instead, new topics in General should be restricted to certain classes of members that have proven themselves (through hook or crook) to be reliable sources of "thought, creativity and originality." All other forums would of course remain open to all members.

(Again, all hail the gloriousness that is organized uprising.)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Or it could be personal and constant. Never post a new topic if you have nothing of substance to post about.

—Alorael, who is sure that would work wondersomely.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #14
By Salmon:
quote:
Maybe instead, new topics in General should be restricted to certain classes of members that have proven themselves (through hook or crook) to be reliable sources of "thought, creativity and originality." All other forums would of course remain open to all members.
This would probably lead to the atrophy of General over time. Also, we would have much more off-topic clutter. It's easier to lock a topic than to read each one, censoring individual posts.

Besides, we have far too many people now trying to "prove themselves" without an incentive.

--------------------
All hail their Modjesties!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Trailing Clouds of Glory:

Or it could be personal and constant. Never post a new topic if you have nothing of substance to post about.

—Alorael, who is sure that would work wondersomely.

I agree with Alorael. It should be personal and constant. If we could just minimize the stupid topics, like the "rate" topics; where all of them could be summarized into on poll as Ash kindly showed, or if we can get certain members to stop posting ridiculous questions and do some research, then there would be no need to have a “No new topics day”. I don’t believe it should be a specific day since times vary. I’ve seen weeks were there is hardly a new topic in general, and weeks like this one where there are about 10 new topics per day.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #16
We need personal limits, not weekly abstinence.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #17
I'll do it. Unless, of course, something drastic happens, I think everyone can do it.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #18
I suggest Spiderweb make a new forum for somewhat random and pointless discussion. In this forum, the topics would all be the "pointless" stuff of General, while leaving the more serious matters to General.

Wait, didn't we have a forum like that once?
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #19
The days of Misc.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #20
Just for the record, I would never say something like that. "Manhood." Pffft :P

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
Now I'm going to have to think of a new topic to start, just to spite all of you.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Now I'm going to have to think of a new topic to start, just to spite all of you.
I've got hundreds of nice tame topics if you end up needing an idea. Just let me know what you need and I'll provide it. The first one is free...

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #23
Considering that I've not posted a topic in years, the feat wouldn't be much trouble. Considering that I barely look at this forum and post, at all, due to college, socials, not to mention slightly more important people/fora to engage, I'd say that the day would probably pass me by, completely.

Though you honestly don't know how tempted I am to make a new topic at 11.59pm EST, that day, asking why no-one's posting any new topics then.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
The last topic I started was about a week ago, and the next topic I'll start is probably the March stats topic (assuming, of course, that the topics aren't starting to get on people's nerves by now).

Anyway, all this gives me the following mental image.

quote:
There were some men in the village who liked to kill kittens. Every day, the community would be shocked to find the mangled bodies of the cute animals that had falled victim to this wanton bloodlust. All pleading and threats fell on deaf ears; the killers were shunned from the community, but their slaying continued. So finally, the elders called a meeting that all of the community (except the kitten-killers) attended, and they came to a unanimous decision: Henceforth, none of them would ever kill a cat on Monday.
Apologies for comparing the posting of pointless topics with the killing of kittens. I get far too attached to the forum, and every crappy topic I see is a stab in my heart.

[ Saturday, March 11, 2006 17:46: Message edited by: When in the course of Nathan Ashby ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Pages