Holy Mac Windows Batman!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Holy Mac Windows Batman!
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #0
I have just heard from a friend that new macs are coming out that ca support windows, meaning you can have windows programs without the crappy OS. Can anybody confirm this? If it were true, I would be so happy.

--------------------
Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?
A: The sound of someone getting smacked upside the head.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a good side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Don't worry Alorael, custom titles are overrated.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
You can have Windows programs without the crappy OS without buying a Mac. Get Linux. :P

Edit: (And an emulator, but those are easy to acquire and, most importantly, free.)

[ Wednesday, January 11, 2006 06:08: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

You can have Windows programs without the crappy OS without buying a Mac. Get Linux. :P

Edit: (And an emulator, but those are easy to acquire and, most importantly, free.)

Hear! Hear! Out of curiosity, what distribution of Linux do you use, Aran?

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
*mumbles*

XP. Busted :o

--

I've used Fedora Core 4 though, and I'll switch to that as soon as I actually have some free time again.

[ Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:31: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #4
I haven't used it, but a friend of mine tells me Fedora's crap. Have you tried Debian?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
Never Debian, but my father installed a SUSE machine to work as a fileserver at one point, and I've briefly used it.

But now that you mention it, I've used a "Knoppix" OS (bootable from disk) for almost a month when my computer, formerly running NT, crapped itself. And I just found out that Knoppix is based on Debian, so it would appear I've actually used that distribution (or something based on it) most.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #6
I prefer Fedora to Debian myself. I'm still running FC2 with a dual-boot to XP Pro. I should probably update to 4 though.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
meaning you can have windows programs without the crappy OS
Are you trying to start yet another war?

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
There is no risk of a war unless anyone wishes to step forward to say, with all sincerity, that Windows is NOT a crappy OS. I use Windows, and I won't.

Anyone?

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #9
I use Windows, but I'm having to reformat my hard-drive and re-install windows because of various problems. Apparently it's reccommended that Windows is re-installed every six months or so.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

I use Windows, but I'm having to reformat my hard-drive and re-install windows because of various problems. Apparently it's reccommended that Windows is re-installed every six months or so.
I rest my case. :P

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Apparently it's reccommended that Windows is re-installed every six months or so.
Wow, I'm 2 1/2 years late reformatting and re-installing, and my PC still works fine.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #12
Seriously I don't see why so many of you dislike Windows.Try using DOS for 5 years and Windows xp will seem something out of the far future.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Back to the original post, having the same Intel chips doesn't mean Windows programs will run on Macs. That will still take some work, and possibly some booting of Windows on the same machine, which defeats the purpose. On the other hand, not having to emulate all the hardware will make Virtual PC a thing of the past. Just running Windows is better.

—Alorael, who doesn't really have high hopes there. Sure, it seems eminently possible and sure, running some Windows programs would be nice. On the other hand, he has a Mac because he doesn't want to be dealing with Windows. At all.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Try using DOS for 5 years and Windows xp will seem something out of the far future.
Definitely. Be happy with what you've got, unless it's Windows ME, then you need to downgrade (read: upgrade) to Windows 98, or install Linux.

[ Wednesday, January 11, 2006 14:46: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
[SARCASTIC RANT]
The thing that upsets me most about computers is the inability to control them. If I tell stupid icons to get out of the taskbar, why can't they go away and never come back? And if I hit the cancel button on a message box, it has no right to pop back up, change the Internet page, and resize the window. The human sitting at the computer should control it, not some idiot programmer who coded that in. The computer should obey me!

And why are the only things that act like viruses, spyware, and pop-ups advertisements for protection against said issues? It's either evil, ingenious, or both.
[/SARCASTIC RANT]

Dikiyoba's shaping skills are clearly not high enough...
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
Computers are like politicians. They really do know what you want, even when you don't know you want it.

*this message sponsored by a large subset of humanity that, although unnamed, fulfills a similar role*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #17
There's two things I've always wanted to see on a PC.

1. An anti-virus virus. Like a virus that spreads itself, murders any malware it can find, and displays a friendly message afterwards.

2. Counter-Spyware. Have a program take a piece of spyware, trace it back to where it sends it's info (or where it came from originally), and then assault that machine.

quote:
Dikiyoba's shaping skills are clearly not high enough...
Perhaps you should put some stat points into your 1337 |-|@><><0|2 skill. Get it to at least level 5.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
"Better" is comparative and says little about absolute quality or even quality on a scale of more than the two compared items.

For example, I prefer System 7 to DOS. I would not choose to work with either if given a choice that included operating systems from the last decade.

—Alorael, who can actually see a kind of twisted logic in thinking of computers like politicians. That might have to go into the required reading for everyone who wants to understand technology.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #19
I'd rahter run Mac System 6 if i had a choice, but theres no software for it and colour is limited.

But, theordically, you can compile WINE for OSX or get the FreeBSD Binary of WINE and be all set. Transgaming already makes Cedegea for OSX PPC, so you can game for a price. But, i have yet to get Spidweb games working in a free version of WINE in Linux, bu thten again, if oyu have a Mac, you can run the Mac Native ones. And, that brings me to a very good point about a few x86's: 2+2=4.000000000001

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

And if I hit the cancel button on a message box, it has no right to pop back up, change the Internet page, and resize the window. The human sitting at the computer should control it, not some idiot programmer who coded that in.
IMAGE(http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Banners/468x60/trust.png)

That was asking for it. :P

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

[QUOTE] Be happy with what you've got, unless it's Windows ME, then you need to downgrade (read: upgrade) to Windows 98, or install Linux.
You should always install Linux, no matter what OS is on there now.

[ Wednesday, January 11, 2006 19:34: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #22
Dual-platform programs > Windows-only programs > Mac only programs.

That said, if you want PC programs, get a PC. Or else leave your unworthy hands off them. :P Oh, wait, n/m. :P

Seeing as I don't have much experience with a Mac, I should keep my mouth shut.

--------------------
-ben4808
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

There's two things I've always wanted to see on a PC.

1. An anti-virus virus. Like a virus that spreads itself, murders any malware it can find, and displays a friendly message afterwards.

2. Counter-Spyware. Have a program take a piece of spyware, trace it back to where it sends it's info (or where it came from originally), and then assault that machine.

The first is a bad idea. If your antivirus has a serious bug in it, then it's just another piece of malware (and even if it doesn't have bugs, a program that automatically distributes itself has the potential to bring down networks). Programs that install themselves without the informed consent of the computer's owner are bad news.

And the second idea is just plain illegal.

[ Wednesday, January 11, 2006 19:57: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #24
Originally by Thuryl:

quote:
And the second idea is just plain illegal.
But its still funny and oddly satisfying to contemplate, given all the problems spywhere gives us...

Dikiyoba has heard of sites that give out prolific spammers' email so that annoyed recipients of spam can sign the spammers up for every junk email available. You're on your own to find them, though.

Pages