Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: 2016
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #0
To celebrate my 2016th post, I want to raise a topic:

Where do you see the world 10 years from now culturally, politically, or technologically?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6601
Profile #1
crime rate up,gas price's up,there'd be more people with no job no home no food no water no family no nothing unless something's done now,but i'm just thinking out loud again.....

--------------------
whats mine is mine whats yours is mine,
.(\_/).
.( '.' ).
(')()(')
.(")(").
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #2
Don't.

Personally, I think that culturally, we will be much the same. Politically, a bit different. Technologically is where the biggest change will be, IMHO. Things will get smaller, more advanced, and most of all, smarter. The toy robots are already showing signs of the next 10 or so years.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
The oldest baby boomers will be 70 (those that are still alive, anyway.) George W. Bush will not be President of the United States. There will still be a large segment of society that is completely clueless. Some of the people on these boards will move on to become productive members of society. Some of the people on these boards will move on to be detrative members of society. And some people on these boards will, well, they'll probably still be on these boards.

That is all the things Dikiyoba is sure about. There will be many other changes, but Dikiyoba isn't sure what they are.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #4
2016 will be a lot like today, only more so.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
I will be 26. Maybe still here. Posting at 10Gbps on my 7GHz laptop. :P

EDIT: Actually, according to Moore's Law, about 260GHz. :eek:

[ Sunday, January 08, 2006 19:50: Message edited by: Uhh... ben? ]

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Ischii:

2016 will be a lot like today, only more so.

Yes, I bet that 2016 will be the first year ever to be offered in HD.

Now that I've said that, I'd better be wrong...

[ Sunday, January 08, 2006 19:52: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #7
The US will most likely be embroiled in all kinds of undeclared wars, including non-violent ones (per se) with our allies. The only real help we'll be receiving, I suspect, will be from Israel, and that'll be in self-defense. Technology will be much more intelligent to compensate for mankind being much less so. Not that education will worsen, exactly; by "stupid" I mean unwillingly (and unable, in some cases,) to ackowledge the truth. Asia (especially CHina) will grow more an more powerful but won't use that power for the good of the world, or, for the most part, of the people; they'll use it, basically, to gain more. I wish I could say I see a kind of cultural revival down the road, but I really don't; for all our *****ing and whining, modern art will continue to take over and music will become less and less musical. The western world will become increasingly less united, more so below the surface than above.

On the plus side, I see more improvements of the lives of the obscenely poor, mainly in Africa and Asia. Space technology will improve, thanks to private funding, and while I don't think we'll be on Mars, we should be well on our way to getting there. I don't know about a cure for cancer, but I think the medical world will have made great strides forward by then. Democracy will have more of a foothold in the Middle East (as will its opponents, but when is that not the case?). Abortion will diminish while preventative measures become more widespread throughout the world (but not, I suspect, in the western part of it). The internet will be ubiquitous, and will facilitate personal freedom like nothing ever before in existance.

Of course, it's equally likely that Google will take over the world and none of this will be relevant.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
You really think these boards will still be here in 10 years? I dunno... it's entirely possible, but 10 years is a long time on the web. Servers die. Interests change. Projects diminish. Stuff disappears for no good reason. You never know.

Edit: Well, I suppose once Google takes over the world we will always have the Google archive. (Did you guys hear about their proposal to provide free wireless internet access to all of San Francisco? Crazy...)

[ Sunday, January 08, 2006 20:13: Message edited by: Slartucker ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
It's also likely that no one will actually be here in 2016. ;)

*shuts up*

--------------------
-ben4808
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

The US will most likely be embroiled in all kinds of undeclared wars, including non-violent ones (per se) with our allies. The only real help we'll be receiving, I suspect, will be from Israel, and that'll be in self-defense. Technology will be much more intelligent to compensate for mankind being much less so. Not that education will worsen, exactly; by "stupid" I mean unwillingly (and unable, in some cases,) to ackowledge the truth. Asia (especially CHina) will grow more an more powerful but won't use that power for the good of the world, or, for the most part, of the people; they'll use it, basically, to gain more. I wish I could say I see a kind of cultural revival down the road, but I really don't; for all our *****ing and whining, modern art will continue to take over and music will become less and less musical. The western world will become increasingly less united, more so below the surface than above.

On the plus side, I see more improvements of the lives of the obscenely poor, mainly in Africa and Asia. Space technology will improve, thanks to private funding, and while I don't think we'll be on Mars, we should be well on our way to getting there. I don't know about a cure for cancer, but I think the medical world will have made great strides forward by then. Democracy will have more of a foothold in the Middle East (as will its opponents, but when is that not the case?). Abortion will diminish while preventative measures become more widespread throughout the world (but not, I suspect, in the western part of it). The internet will be ubiquitous, and will facilitate personal freedom like nothing ever before in existance.

Of course, it's equally likely that Google will take over the world and none of this will be relevant.

Quoted for outright stupidity

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
:rolleyes:

Is this the part where we say what we think is going to happen, or what we would like to happen?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #12
Chances are I'll be dead by then.
Also, rap will reach a new low, and manage to sound even less like music. This is going to happen, I mean, a while back - Mc Hammer - Hammer Time = Good, Run DMC - Tricky = good. Now 50 cent = retarded, Eminem = Trying to be black purely to make crappy music. It doesn't seem like it can get much worse but I'm sure it has to. When people choose to listen to rubbish (like that accursid frog) then I can't see them realising what music sucks at any point.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #13
The day Crazy Frog was realeased was a sad day for the world, I reckon.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #14
The future is a time of secret shameful excitement for the elite few of the world. For the rest it's the drudgery interspersed with horror it's been since the beginning of time.

A man on Mars, a billion children on a thousand calories a day. Same as it ever was.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #15
The sky will change color.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #16
Switzerland will beat the U.S. at Basketball. :cool:

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #17
There will be no 2016, because the world ends with the year 2012.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Also, rap will reach a new low, and manage to sound even less like music.
That's kinda like a bum giving away his money.

Anyway, it's like Frozen Feet said, the world ends in 2012.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Spiderweb survived its first decade nicely and is going strong. I don't really see why it wouldn't still be around in ten years, although a lot can happen in a decade. Obviously.

—Alorael, who predicts flying cars, space colonies, and alien visitors bringing a message of galactic peace and really delicious coffee.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #20
There are two possibilities for 2016.

1) We're all dead, dying or depressed. Yes, not a positive look, but it's an oppertunity. Explains: The world has failed to make enough electricity out of natural sources, like solarpower. The oil is gone, it's all burned, and everybody won't be able to drive or cook, because of that. Extreme chaos will hit the world, and extremists will try to take over the world, and are often to succeed, because people are desperate. This will lead to war, and all sources left will be used to fight this war. Nuce-bombs will be used to kill enemies. This will last for a couple of years, until one alliance wins. Most of the world population is dead, the rest starts to think what they've done, and see that they've been extremely stupid.

2) The world will be about the same as today, but only cleaner and better. Men has succeeded to find good energysources, and uses them. Technology will be much more efficient, smaller, faster and smarter. People will be richer and Africa will finally be a normal continant without poverty and AIDS (that's one thing I really hope that will happen). Live will be good.

Choose your favourite :P

(EDIT: this is the post that made me Journeyman :) )

[ Monday, January 09, 2006 07:10: Message edited by: no chicken for sale here ]

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

When in doubt. . . mumble.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #21
In 2016 people have nicer ways to slaughter the remaining chickens.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #22
2016?

Culturally/technologically: Avernum 9 will be ported to Windows AI, and Geneforge 9 will be released for Mac OS Kappa

Politically: The opposite parties will be in power to the ones who are currently governing. Everything else will be the same.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

Quoted for outright stupidity
Quoted for arrogance and egotismism.

In 2016, the world will be ruled by an organization known as Galactica, which will be headed by me. Poverty, sadness, and dissent will no longer exist because anyone below the rank of "Premium Member" will be forced to undergo a frontal lobatomy. Everyone of that rank or above, save the Graet Laeder Plah himself will be addicted to LSD.

EDIT:
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

Culturally/technologically: Avernum 9 will be ported to Windows AI, and Geneforge 9 will be released for Mac OS Kappa
I think this is the best answer yet.

[ Monday, January 09, 2006 11:45: Message edited by: Desert Pl@h ]

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #24
In 2016, global warming will have increased so much that the north and south poles will melt, though this won't create much difference in the global water level. It will be too hot in many places to do sport and stuff. As other people have said, fossil fuels will have either run out, or become so expensive only millionaires can afford them.
I don't think theres going to be a World War III, though...

Pages