Best musician or composer

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Best musician or composer
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Infernal666hate:

Favorite Bands: Dream Theater

I like Dream Theater too, although my experience is limited to the album "Octovarium" and the song "The Spirit Carries On" from the album "Scenes from a Memory".

From what I've heard of them, they are excellent, although not nearly as "progressive" as some people make out.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #51
Anybody here actually listen to some of the older bands, like Abba and the like? the may be old, abba, but their music is great! *Ahem*, that's my opinion. yes.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #52
quote:
Originally written by no chicken for sale here:

And mostly new band which oviasly make metal, can't be put in one specific box. That's why they made a giant heap for all those bands, and called it Nu Metal. But it's a shame, cause there are bands in that catagory you can hardly compare... It's a bit stupid, the term Nu Metal, but i can't think of an alternative.

Nu Metal does not necessarily mean that the band cannot be put into one specific box, take the bands Sentenced or To/Die/For, they can't be put into one specific box (except with each other), and are often mistakenly refered to as gothic metal, which anyone who has listened to The Sins Of Thy Beloved would know they are not, they however are metal.
Often genres that differ slightly from Nu, such as New Wave Metal (Deftones), or Metalcore (Killswitch Engage), are labled as Nu, this is the only form of mistaking genres with Nu that I know of. :confused:
Also, about the Metallica good or not good after Metallica all they've done is differ slightly in genre, they used to be Bay Area Thrash, after Metallica they went more of a thrash/hard-rock mix, it was only St. Anger that was the real downfall, and I hope they can recover with a good CD this time. :rolleyes:

quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

From what I've heard of them, they are excellent, although not nearly as "progressive" as some people make out.

!!!!!!BLASPHEME!!!!!!
Although I would have to agree with you if the only album of theirs I heard was Octavarius, If you could get either When Dream And Day Unite or Images And Words you would hear real musical genius and perfection.

[ Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:35: Message edited by: Infernal666hate ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #53
quote:

...things from pop-metal *gags*, things like Bon Jovi, to Death Metal, like Morbid Angel.
Bon Jovi isn't pop-metal. It is pop/rock.

Some friends of mine really like Metal, like Slipknot, Pantera, Ministry, The Dead Kennedys, etc. I sometimes listen to it, but don't really like it.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #54
Some bands I like: Green Day, TMBG, Barenaked Ladies, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Bowling for Soup, Finger Eleven, Oasis, Yellowcard, Garbage, Badly Drawn Boy, Jimmy Eat World, Less Than Jake, Letters to Cleo, Modest Mouse, Reel Big Fish, Simple Plan, Weezer, Switchfoot...Yeah...Just noticed how many bands I've put down so far. I'm going to lay off.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

Anybody here actually listen to some of the older bands, like Abba and the like? the may be old, abba, but their music is great! *Ahem*, that's my opinion. yes.
I sometimes listen to the first ATeens CD, which is all Abba songs. So, er, sort of...

Dikiyoba mostly listens to the Lord of the Rings soundtracks and shocked some of Dikiyoba's friends the only day by listening to music with lyrics. Besides the obvious "That song has words!" they were speechless.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #56
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Dikiyoba mostly listens to the Lord of the Rings soundtracks and shocked some of Dikiyoba's friends the only day by listening to music with lyrics. Besides the obvious "That song has words!" they were speechless.[/QB]
I just got the cello sheet music for LotR. My friend and I blew off study hall today to play it. :P

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #57
Best composer: Stravinsky. No point in arguing over this one guys, sorry.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #58
宇多田ヒカル

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #59
I think the common feature of most Nu Metal bands is a slower tempo (than most types of metal, mind you), drop-tuned guitars, not usually double bass drums, and frequent recourse to growling-type vocals, like Slipknot or Korn. They also often have DJs, for some reason. I'm not a big fan.

Personally, I'm an alt-rock man through and through, but my tastes vary pretty widely within the genre.

I like Death Cap for Cutie and Interpol in terms of the softer stuff, and I like AFI for a bit more melodious hard rock.

Rage Against the Machine brings the fury and the funk better than anyone, stupid politics or no.

Metallica (pre-St. Anger) and Avenged Sevenfold are good straight-up power metal, and the Mars Volta can put a good song together in between acid binges.

Arena-rock wise, I really like Weezer, and, unlike everyone else nowadays, don't much care for Greenday. I like the new stuff, but it's basically just Weezer songs with slapdash anti-Bush lyrics for the Rebellious Teen demographic, and the old stuff just never really did it for me.

My pet genre, though, is grunge. Pearl Jam is basically just Arena Blues-Rock, but Gossard and Ament work great together, Irons laid a beat, and Vedder's got soul. Alice in Chains, well, Layne Stayley. I always thought Nirvana to be a bit overrated, Cobain's overused misunderstood-me act was inferior to the fun he had with folky kitsch in songs lake Like of Fire, but, you know, what sells sells. My favorite band, Soundgarden, gets called Grunge because they came from Seattle, but their sound was really more Black Sabbath heavy metal. Cameron was a beast on the drums and Cornell, well, he's my favorite musician/composer (singing is musicianship, right?), although I won't say he's the best or anything like that.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

[quote=Dikiyoba]

Dikiyoba mostly listens to the Lord of the Rings soundtracks and shocked some of Dikiyoba's friends the only day by listening to music with lyrics. Besides the obvious "That song has words!" they were speechless.

I just got the cello sheet music for LotR. My friend and I blew off study hall today to play it. :P [/QB][/quote]WOOOHOOOO! people like me!

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #61
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

quote:

...things from pop-metal *gags*, things like Bon Jovi, to Death Metal, like Morbid Angel.
Bon Jovi isn't pop-metal. It is pop/rock.

Well, i read this article about metal, and that's what it said, so... i thought let's see what other people think about it. I don't really think Bon Jovi earned the title of making metal ;) But that's my opinion... :rolleyes:

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

When in doubt. . . mumble.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #62
quote:

!!!!!!BLASPHEME!!!!!!
Although I would have to agree with you if the only album of theirs I heard was Octavarius, If you could get either When Dream And Day Unite or Images And Words you would hear real musical genius and perfection.

Hmmm... I'd rather stick with The Smiths and Meat is Murder by The Smiths for my musical genius and perfection.

Still, thanks for the heads up. I'll look at Amazon now.

Oh....and who was Christian Rock/Pop singer The Creator/Ash got to meet on the radio that time. Yes, that is vague... erm, she was hot. And talented. He made a thread about her, but I did a quick search and it turned up nothing. She's good, although not the best musician ever.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #63
quote:

...Also, about the Metallica good or not good after Metallica all they've done is differ slightly in genre, they used to be Bay Area Thrash, after Metallica they went more of a thrash/hard-rock mix, it was only St. Anger that was the real downfall, and I hope they can recover with a good CD this time. :rolleyes: ...

I just heard that Metallica will bring out one more album and then they'll do one more tour, and then they'll quit! :eek: The Metallica site and their label don't report this, but a friend of mine is a member of the fanclub, and via the fanclub fans were informed with this information. This will mean a surtain end of Metallica, the first and (one of) the best metal band in the world, in less then 10 years...

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

When in doubt. . . mumble.

Pages