The End is near...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The End is near...
Apprentice
Member # 6585
Profile #0
Hi to anyone who didn´t notice me yet. (Exception: Goldenking, Slith Lord) ;)

I´m a new guy here like so many others before and so I´d like to greet everyone here! Hello! Bonjour! etc. :) :) :)

At this point I´d like to know something from you, I didn´t want to start with a poll but:
When do YOU think the world will be destroyed, burned by the sun, hit by something from another galaxy, or anyhow made unusable??? :confused:

A picture about that >>>>> Armageddon

[ Thursday, December 22, 2005 03:16: Message edited by: Ragnarok ]

--------------------
Ragnarok is coming soon...

At first Chaos comes, then Apocalypse kills, after that Armageddon destroys the world, at the end Ragnarok will rise and annihilate everything left!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #1
My sources say, 2021. Although I hear that some prophet from Italy thinks it's in... 3097.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #2
Hi, welcome to spiderweb, leave your sanity at the door.

As for the question? Uhmm...I'm a christian and as such I believe that the end of this world as we know it will come when no one expects it. So the logical answer to your question would be any date not mentioned in this thread.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #3
The Second Coming could happen any day, but no one knows for sure when, so we'll go to scientific understanding.

In about 5 billion years, the sun will have exhausted its hydrogen supplies and will swell to a red giant and burn up Earth before shedding it's outer layers, creating a planetary nebula, and then becoming a white dwarf. Hopefully that's enough time to develop interstellar travel.

And you never know when a big asteroid or comet will loom up and hit the Earth and cause global damage. I doubt your life will be endangered today. Probably not tomorrow. Or anytime next week.

Hi, I'm ben.

Oh, and by the way, could you please try to restore psuedo-sanity where there is none and make the picture a link?

[ Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:38: Message edited by: Uhh... ben? ]

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #4
You're all wrong. The world won't end by the sun or a comet. Humans will be the downfall for earth. I really don't care when or how the world ends.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #5
What kind of end you after?

Destruction of the Earth? Not likely to happen until the expansion of the sun into red giant, and even then bits of it will be left.

Destruction of human life? The last real shot we had at that was during the Cold War. Sure, we could have a superplague or Yellowstone could blow up or we could be hit by a massive space rock. But with the human species having as much damn biomass spread over as much damn territory as it does, it's astoundingly difficult to kill off, even without taking the advantage of tool use into account.

Destruction of civilization? A tall order, that one. Sure, it seems as if everyday events could lead to this, but let's be honest, the chances are slim. In the 20th century alone, civilization weathered a financial crisis and a campaign of genocide bracketed by two massive wars, each without precedent in the history of mankind - and sure, maybe we have a greater tendency to think life is meaningless, but we're the same human beings and we still have the same collective neurotic tics as we were before all of that mess went down. And here's a mind-blower: this has been true of every century in history; some earth-shattering event without any historical precedent every once in a while has been a constant factor as far back as the record exists, and yet the basic idea of civilization, such as it is - try not to hurt other people or it will come back to you - has remained remarkably intact. 'Civilization' has survived Columbus and Hitler. What in God's name do you suppose is going to finish the job?

Destruction of your nation as it stands now? Inevitable enough. Happened to Rome, happened to England, will happen to you, and will happen to whoever makes it happen to you. Some day the American barking about a global war against extremism, the German muttering darkly about the perfidious Turk, and the Chinese growling at western imperialists at the door - it'll all be a figment of nostalgia.

You want a date? Anyone who can give a date for global events that have yet to happen is a charlatan. I can't state with any certainty whether #4 will happen to anyone within our lifetimes, whether #3 will happen by the time the period of human history has doubled, whether #2 will happen before the heat death of the universe, and whether #1 will happen at all. What use is an arbitrary day for any of these hypothetical apocalypses?

The End only matters if now matters. Make now matter, for God's sake, then maybe we'll talk asteroids.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #6
10 minutes and 23 seconds. :cool:

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #7
Nickothodes, you're wrong :D

[ Wednesday, December 21, 2005 14:14: Message edited by: Goldenking ]

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Uhh... ben?:

The Second Coming
Lol. :P

That said, chances are that the planet is going to outlive us by a long shot, and our demise will be political in nature. That means we're going to nuke ourselves into oblivion. All it takes is someone convinced God is talking to him in control of the greatest stash of apocalyptic weapons in the world. Check.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
It happened in 1952.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
I like this Dylanesque vision of the future. Very simple, and it could happen.

*this message sponsored by your god of choice*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
The end of the world as we know it will be nukes. We've been sitting on Armageddon for for half a century now, and statistically speaking it will have to blow up eventually.

Either that or we'll somehow survive long enough to reach a Dying Earth existence in five billion years, give or take a billion. Won't Jack Vance be laughing then!

—Alorael, who is reminded of an entertaining flash animation about this very subject.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #12
Well i don't have any idea about when the world gonna end.
I remember when the world ended in the year 2000...
Why to worry about the end of the world if we will be less that ashes by then?
When i was little I was really afraid when I readed a book that said all the way for the world to end, but know I don't fear about that. I prefer to care about my life instead...
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #13
As a Christian, I agree with the second coming idea, but it's more fun to theorize other things. Personally, I thinkthat if TM ever builds his time machine, he'll screw things up and cause the world to end.

[ Wednesday, December 21, 2005 18:59: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #14
This site pretty well sums it up. But personally, I believe the Maya, who say the world will end on December 21, 2012.

In other words, pretty much exactly 6 years from now.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:

Nickothodes, you're wrong :D
You posted 5 minutes after him, so you had no way of knowing.

Anyway, welcome to Spiderweb!

As for the question, I don't think it will be anytime in our lifetimes, so really, I don't care.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Apprentice
Member # 6585
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Robert the Fourth:

But personally, I believe the Maya, who say the world will end on December 21, 2012.
I saw a documentation about that too, wasn´t that somewhere in 2015? :confused:

Edit: Done, ben, the picture is a link now. Thanks to Alo for the interesting animation! :cool:

[ Thursday, December 22, 2005 03:19: Message edited by: Ragnarok ]

--------------------
Ragnarok is coming soon...

At first Chaos comes, then Apocalypse kills, after that Armageddon destroys the world, at the end Ragnarok will rise and annihilate everything left!
Warrior
Member # 6485
Profile #17
quote:

As for the question? Uhmm...I'm a christian and as such I believe that the end of this world as we know it will come when no one expects it. So the logical answer to your question would be any date not mentioned in this thread.

yes it's true but all religons are good as long as they don't kill other people right?

--------------------
I love Spiderweb Software!!
Who doesn't?
My hints on making a new party.
USE CHARECTER EDITER!!
----------------------------------
10 million Cave giant chiefs +
1 million drake lords ageinst me =

easy
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
How is your reply remotely relevant to the post you were quoting?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by An array cat:

quote:
Originally written by Uhh... ben?:

The Second Coming
Lol. :P

Take it as you like. :rolleyes:

--------------------
-ben4808
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #20
quote:
Yeah, yeah, that's the logical answer.
Warrior
Member # 6368
Profile Homepage #21
im a Chirstian same as uh..ben?.

i think it may happen in the next 20-40 years maybe.
maybe the world will be burned by fire or the sun will move toward us faster then light speed, slam into the earth and the sun will collapse in on itself and become a black hole, and suck the galaxy into its hungry mouth

--------------------
MMORPG developed by jagex ltd. Join RuneScape.com today!

hawk kings editor edited by me for geneforge 2
http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000906#00 0000
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by green kid:

im a Chirstian same as uh..ben?.
Chirstianity on the rise lately, seems like.
quote:

i think it may happen in the next 20-40 years maybe.
How indulgent. You get to be part of the last generation, like every other eschatologist.
quote:

maybe the world will be burned by fire
Neither the Earth nor the interstellar medium are flammable.
quote:

or the sun will move toward us faster then light speed,
The Sun is subject to the laws of physics.
quote:

slam into the earth
It's already going to do that when it starts dying, and describing any such event in those terms is like talking about a freight train 'slamming into' a coke can.
quote:

and the sun will collapse in on itself and become a black hole,
More force than exists in the universe would be required to accomplish that...
quote:

and suck the galaxy into its hungry mouth
...and the resulting change in gravity wouldn't be enough to disturb the orbit of Jupiter.

Back to school, kiddo.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
If you want the sun to be responsible for Earth's death, you're looking at billions of years, not decades. A more plausible disaster would involve asteroids.

—Alorael, who isn't sure how the Second Coming and astronomy match. Does Jesus appear a few days before impact?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Morgan:

quote:
Yeah, yeah, that's the logical answer.

I meant the logical answer considering my belief, not the absolute answer to the question. :rolleyes:

As for the asteroid thing, I heard Apophis has good chances of hiting us...

Scientists are monitoring the progress of a 390-metre wide asteroid discovered last year that is potentially on a collision course with the planet, and are imploring governments to decide on a strategy for dealing with it.
Nasa has estimated that an impact from Apophis, which has an outside chance of hitting the Earth in 2036, would release more than 100,000 times the energy released in the nuclear blast over Hiroshima. Thousands of square kilometres would be directly affected by the blast but the whole of the Earth would see the effects of the dust released into the atmosphere.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."

Pages