The End is near...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The End is near...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
Keep in mind that when scientists talk about a high probability of an asteroid hitting Earth, they still usually mean a probability of one in a thousand or less.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #26
It would take a really, really big asteroid to kill off all of the human population. Even the theorized enormous astroid that supposedly killed the dinosaurs and relatives couldn't wipe out crocodiles, turtles, conifer trees, sharks, cockroaches, those really strange animals known as mammals (they're just freaky, don't you think?)and a bunch of other animals I can't think of off the top of my head. Somewhere, somehow, bands of humans would survive and repopulate all the Earth. It just might not be anyone we know.

Random Quote:
The current theory of evolution is a theory, not a fact, and that's why its called a theory. Duh.

Please do not be offended by the previous statement. Thank you.

-Dikiyoba
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #27
The current theory of gravity is a theory, not a fact, and that is why it is called a theory. Duh.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Technically, gravity is a law, not a theory. There's no good theory to explain gravity yet. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #29
Allah pulls it all down with invisible fingers! :P

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
We now have two consecutive links to Apophis. It must be twice as likely to kill us all! Well, maybe not kill us all, but I think I disaster of that magnitude could count as the end of the world. Let's not get too picky. Most events aren't likely to sterilize the entire surface of the Earth.

—Alorael, who doesn't believe in the theory of intelligent falling. It's much more interesting as a philosophical point. Are all forces mediated by God?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #31
Hmm, let me do this as well. Insteresting post, BtW.

quote:
Originally written by green kid:

im a Chirstian same as uh..ben?.
Good for you. Oh, and hi, I'm ben.
quote:

i think it may happen in the next 20-40 years maybe.
It could. My dad seems to keep thinking it will happen next year. And the years keep rolling. Maybe next year.
quote:

maybe the world will be burned by fire
Maybe. There is enough oxygen in the air to burn up what we see as the Earth. (eg. flammable substances on the surface)
quote:

or the sun will move toward us faster then light speed,
The surface of the Sun will move toward us in 5 billion years as it expands to a red giant, but it won't be faster than the speed of light.
quote:

slam into the earth
It's possible the Sun could get so big in that phase that it ingulfs the Earth, but current evidence suggests it will just miss it. Either way, you may want to turn on your air conditioning.
quote:

and the sun will collapse in on itself and become a black hole,
If the sun was 10 times it's current mass, it could do just that. However, a star of 1 solar mass will just expel it's outer layers and leave its core as a white dwarf, which is really dense but no black hole.
quote:

and suck the galaxy into its hungry mouth
There could be a supermassive black hole in the center of every galaxy. However, matter in space is so sparce and so far apart that the black hole really doesn't have a death grip on much.

--------------------
-ben4808
Warrior
Member # 6368
Profile Homepage #32
aliens could come and shoot lasers at the houses and build ect. and shoot lasers the size of foot ball stadiums and drop 10 nukes a second and blow the world to dust

[ Friday, December 23, 2005 19:54: Message edited by: green kid ]

--------------------
MMORPG developed by jagex ltd. Join RuneScape.com today!

hawk kings editor edited by me for geneforge 2
http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000906#00 0000
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #33
For a loving couple, the world probably ends when one of them dies. Just a thought :\

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Apprentice
Member # 6601
Profile #34
i hope the world ends with zombies...deaths little helpers...not too soon i hope

--------------------
whats mine is mine whats yours is mine,
.(\_/).
.( '.' ).
(')()(')
.(")(").
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #35
Why zombies?

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by green kid:

aliens could come and shoot lasers at the houses and build ect. and shoot lasers the size of foot ball stadiums and drop 10 nukes a second and blow the world to dust
Either this topic is beginning to act as a magnet for noobs (and I use the most flattering term), or it's the first thread I've read today and they're all like that lately (please no!), or I'm just feeling more irritable because of the exhausting day.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #37
Just a blip, I think.

There's a pretty decent theory of gravity, actually, and it has been around for nearly a century: general relativity. It doesn't seem to play well with quantum mechanics, but it does do a nice job of explaining gravity in terms of spacetime geometry.

Why not zombies with giant lasers, and make everyone happy?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #38
Ah yes. And then we could go into M Theory...

--------------------
-ben4808
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #39
Zombie Gundam? Hmm...

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #40
Not the end of the world, but it seemed fitting.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/taters2.gif)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Apprentice
Member # 6606
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by The_Nazgul:

Hi, welcome to spiderweb, leave your sanity at the door.

As for the question? Uhmm...I'm a christian and as such I believe that the end of this world as we know it will come when no one expects it. So the logical answer to your question would be any date not mentioned in this thread.

Hooray for the recipriversexclusion!

(Guide reference)
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #42
Lets take a look at a catastrophic event that will happen:
Remember the devastating tsunami last year? An event a thousand times worse will, no not maybe, will happen in the next thousand years. La Palma, an island in the Canaries, houses an active volcano which erupted in 1949 and formed an enormous crack down the center, which almost resulted in a massive landslide. Rather than fall into the ocean, the land mass stopped after falling just a few meters. Unfortunately this means that future eruptions will eventually send all 500 thousand million tonnes of earth crashing into the sea, causing a mega-tsunami, a wave about a kilometer high moving at supersonic speeds. The wave will wipe out all the coastal cities along the east coast of the US and South America, and by coastal I mean up to 20 miles inland or so. The backlash waves will devastate countries on the other side of the world as well.

If you dont believe waves can reach these heights read about what happened in Lituya Bay, Alaska, July 8th, 1958.

Needless to say, after looking into this topic I can now safely say that I am a hydrophobe.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #43
Don't you just long for the days when you could send some hobbits out to throw a little ring into a volcano and then the world would be saved? *Sigh.* Life has gotten so complicated.

Maybe Alien zombies with laserguns will destroy the world when their asteroid-shaped spaceship crashes into the Pacific Ocean and the resulting tidal wave wipes out the entire western coastline of North America? Spiderweb Software will be completely wiped out, along with all the Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders. And we all know that the GIFTS are secretly in charge of the world.
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #44
Recipriversexclusion: "A number whose existence can only be defined as being anything other than itself."

Brilliant, that word should be aded to the english language...is it? Or is it just part of Hitchhiker's Guide?

As for the GIFTS, I think they will be fine, in fact, they will probably survive and rule the world once all humans perish, then again, so will nasty roaches. I predict a fierce battle for Earth will take place, between roaches and GIFTS, who would win? Roaches have the nasty diseases(sp?) but then GIFTS have the annoying high pitched voice...tough call.

[ Monday, December 26, 2005 05:59: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #45
Actually the GIFTS and the GIFTR get along quite well, as shown in E/A 3. It's everybody else that needs to worry.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by A Hexagram Cel:

Actually the GIFTS and the GIFTR get along quite well, as shown in E/A 3. It's everybody else that needs to worry.
We should be ok as long as they continue to think that we're cute.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 6606
Profile #47
Recipriversexclusion is just part of the Guide, as far as I can tell
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #48
Forgive me for being immodest enough to tootle my own eschatological horn, but you folks really do need to get a grip on things and come to terms with the facts:

http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000162

Pages