Harry Potter 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Harry Potter 4
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Agreed... just a quick montage of the other champions fighting their dragons would've been awesome. It just felt like a letdown when they skipped straight to Harry. (at least they avoided that with the other challenges)

I seem to remember it being that way in the book though. Harry was in the tent and had no idea what was going on. Ron and Hermione just gave him a very brief overview later. I think the dragon fighting thing was bad though. they definitely didn't fight on the roof of the castle in the book.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #26
Unfortunately, it is difficult to take a 700 page story and fit it into a nice 2.5 hour film. Also, movies are stronger in certain areas where books are weak and vice versa. Action scenes are generally stronger in movies because of the visual components. Detail is generally better in books where berevity is not as important. I do not blame the producers for exploiting their strong points and diminishing the weak points.

Thankfully, no SPEW!

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #27
Well, yes, but it is a shame that they cut it out. I mean, had they put in every minor detail, it would go for about 5 hours, and I would still wacth it. And I'm sure many people would.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #28
Yeah, I probably would too...but there are so many MTV generation little kiddies with attention spans of 7.6 seconds. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to believe they could sit through a 5 hour movie.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6160
Profile #29
I agree with most of the other people, It should have had more detail's from the book. S.P.E.W. Should have had some mention, As well as Winky I believe... not that i'm big on house elves and that, but it is part of the books and should have some form of mention. Sorta Disappointed about the Fleur and the Veela, Should have had some sort of mention I believe. Harry passing out and not going into the woods sorta ticked me off..

I mean, I can see -why- they've cut so many things out... but the way there doing things, alot of the intresting sub-plots are just being dumped on. And they should have, at least, Mentioned Weasly's Wizard Wheezes... But I have some feeling that, if it's mentioned, it'll be in the 5th movie near the beginning.

Speaking of Which... The 5th movie might very well suck considering the length of the book and them cutting out everything as they do...

But as long as they have the entirty of the Minstry Battle and a Decent amount of the D.A. I'll be happy. Mostly.

And Umbridge having a hard time with the Weasley's swamps would be good...

--------------------
Wife: Honey, what's that stuff on the showerhead?

Husband: Woah... Now that's range.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #30
Just saw it. It highlighted one of the things that bothered me about the book - aside from the dragon thing, the tasks didn't really seem like spectator events. And the movies never seem to get normal human interaction right. And it seemed like Hermione was always aggro. But pretty good overall. I appreciate the tight cutting and sticking to the main storyline.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #31
Oh come on, Ash - surely you remember what it was like being a 14 year old? Hormones and craziness everywhere! Can't blame Hermione for that - after all, there's Harry in the next book to consider... ;)
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #32
Well, I decided to go see this movie a second time in the theater. I got into the very last showing of Harry Potter at my theater, and I found it even more enjoyable than last time.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #33
Originally by Spring:

quote:
The mermaids were ugly. They were portrayed as pretty in the book.
Actually, the merpeople were ugly in the book. The mermaid Harry sees in a picture is pretty, but the actual merpeople were ugly.

From Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire:
quote:
The merpeople had grayish skin and long, wild, dark green hair. Their eyes were yellow, as were their broken teeth...
Dikiyoba hasn't seen HP4 yet; suspects it will be good but nowhere near as good as the book. HP5 stands a really good chance of being about the same in the book and movie. HP5 was just a filler between 4 and 7, so any changes in the movie to make it more exciting is fine by Dikiyoba, who gives the book's plot a rating as high as others have been giving to A4's plot. HP6 isn't as good as HP4, arguably the best one out there, but at least it has a worthwhile plot. Dikiyoba is really hoping HP7 is worthwhile...
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #34
Does Dikiyoba have a good reason for speaking in the third person? Sir David certainly hopes so.

Also, coming between a Spiderwebber and something he or she is haughtily criticizing is comparable to standing between a mother bear and her cub, in a strange, antonymic sort of way.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

Does Dikiyoba have a good reason for speaking in the third person?
Perhaps he doesn't have the good sense to see that his imitation of Alorael's distinctive and entertaining trademark goes beyond flattery and into slightly bad taste. Alo was clever enough to do something creative and unique, and shouldn't have it demeaned by imitators, as fun a gimmick as it is.

-Synergy, who thinks he shouldn't have to suggest that others defer to Alo of the ten thousand posts and let him continue his unique tradition unmolested by imitators.

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
It's a dash, not a hyphen.

—Kelandon, who is demonstrating how it is done. :cool: And for that matter, he may as well mention that Alorael has sanctioned Dikiyoba switching into the third-person in his final paragraph, as it seems to be just being weird, rather than duplicating a custom sig.

[ Thursday, December 29, 2005 23:18: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #37
The grammar police are on their toes tonight. That's what I get for carelessly failing to employ the proper and preferable option-shift-dash em-dash, and I'm not sure why I did—maybe a moment of haste or distraction whilst typing.

I must have missed where Alorael mentioned it, but even so, if I were him, I'd be at least a little annoyed or disappointed someone had hijacked something I had made my own. I'd guess he's got too much class to bother getting possessive or petulant about it. I do think it's better to come up with your own creative something special apart from occasions of imitation inspired by homage or parody.

—Synergy, who here properly emloys an em-dash, and thinks this will be the last time he pokes a little fun at Alorael's telltale ™.

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

I'd guess he's got too much class to bother getting possessive or petulant about it.
:P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #39
I think it's quite classy to get petulant or possessive on behalf of a friend, however. ;)

I do have a comment on the Goblet of Fire movie. I enjoyed it overall, knowing it was going to be savagely pared down from the book by necessity. One thing that did catch my attention was the way several sequences were edited, it was confusing to figure out just what was supposed to have happened. I had read the book, but not recently. One scene that I recall of this sort was where Fleur is attacked underwater by a merperson who rushes at her. It cuts to a split-second scene of her recoiling in some fashion, and suddenly you hear the announcer up above saying she is out of the competition. I could not tell for sure what was supposed to have actually happened to her—she was hurt, she lost her air bubble, or what? I don't remember from the book, nor should I have to.

The editing seemed a bit abrupt and hurried in this fashion in a few places, as if they were trying to cut every last second possible out of the final edit. It's a minor complaint, but there is no excuse for bad editing that results in scenes that fail to communicate the information the movie is supposed to be giving the viewer.

[ Friday, December 30, 2005 03:21: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #40
Originally by Synergy:

quote:
I think it's quite classy to get petulant or possessive on behalf of a friend, however.

Hmm. I believe Alorael described people who do that for him as "minions." In the best sense of the word, of course.

I want a minion.
All I have are Uruk-haiku.
And they are worthless.

Where Dikiyoba is from, it is highly regarded to refer to oneself in third person. Or even in second-person. But second-person is too difficult to manage in a forum, so Dikiyoba uses third person.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #41
Well then, why don't you use third person all the time in your posts? (Not a suggestion, just a question)

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #42
Because that would be really, really confusing, as opposed to confusing.

Seriously, Dikiyoba is getting tired of this "why third-person?" discussion. And Dikiyoba still can't understand why talking in third person is so odd. Do you have to be a moderator to do odd things without comment?

Edit: Grammer.

[ Friday, December 30, 2005 17:57: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Uruk-haiku
Does it strike anyone else that this word combines two concepts that just ought not be combined? The Uruk-Hai of LotR and the haiku genre of Japanese poetry? :eek:

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #44
How many types of Japanese poetry are there?

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #45
Isn't that... sort of the point?

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Shuan Wuan:

How many types of Japanese poetry are there?
Several, apparently.

--------------------

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #47
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Because that would be really, really confusing, as opposed to confusing.

Seriously, Dikiyoba is getting tired of this "why third-person?" discussion. And Dikiyoba still can't understand why talking in third person is so odd. Do you have to be a moderator to do odd things without comment?

Edit: Grammer.

No, you just have to be the first one here to do it or it looks tacky. Come up with something more original.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #48
Tolkien himself is the father of the Uruk-Haiku genre.

quote:

The Two Towers:

What of the dawn? For
We are the great Uruk-hai
We don't stop the fight.

Come night or day, we
Come to kill by sun or moon.
So what of the dawn?
Edit: This was before coffee and breakfast restored my ability to count till five. Fixed. :rolleyes:

[ Saturday, December 31, 2005 05:25: Message edited by: harf'er'melora ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #49
I finally saw the movie about a week ago. It was in my opinion the best movie so far in the series. I knew that much of the sideplot in the book had to be removed in order to constrain the movie to a reasonable length, so I was not too disappointed about the omitted material. I just reminded myself that a movie is different from a book.

I was annoyed by many of the voices of the side characters, though. The voices were just annoying. Harry and Hermione have grown nicely and look better than before, though Ron seems to have become hideous.

Concerning speaking in the third-person, I think that constantly using it is excessively annoying. It is novel when used in moderation, though.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.

Pages