If you could, when would you...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: If you could, when would you...
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #0
go back in time to? I'm listening to some good old 60's music, and I felt the urge to ask people this.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 27 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=KRwcKKCmizsD"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=KRwcKKCmizsD"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #1
I'd rather go forwards. I have a suspicion that I was born a little bit too soon for the immortality technology.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #2
70's. Then I could go see AC/DC's first concert. Then I could also invest in some stocks, to make myself rich.

</leetness>

[ Friday, November 18, 2005 14:42: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
I'd like to go back to a time just before the library of Alexandria was destroyed. :)

Too bad I probably couldn't read any of it though... I'd need to brush up on those dead languages first.

Edit: What kind of dumb poll is this? If you just want to go back a few decades, you can read a bloody book or watch a movie. :rolleyes:

[ Friday, November 18, 2005 14:42: Message edited by: NaNoWriMo ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
1917. So I could buy some Coke shares and come back forward and sell them: A single Coke share bought back then and sold today is worth about $90,000.

[ Friday, November 18, 2005 14:50: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by NaNoWriMo:

I'd like to go back to a time just before the library of Alexandria was destroyed. :)

Too bad I probably couldn't read any of it though... I'd need to brush up on those dead languages first.

Edit: What kind of dumb poll is this? If you just want to go back a few decades, you can read a bloody book or watch a movie. :rolleyes:

I was just wondering. No need to be rude.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

1917. So I could buy some Coke shares and come back forward and sell them: A single Coke share bought back then and sold today is worth about $90,000.
With what money? Where are you going to find cash that would have been legal tender back in 1917? Obviously, your bank account details aren't going to be travelling back in time with you, after all.

I suppose you could buy gold bullion or something today and take it into the past, or even get a job and earn some money whilst in the past, but there still remains the issue of proving that the stock you bought in 1917 and have not touched since is actually yours without letting anyone on to the fact that you've travelled in time. Seems to me that it'd be easier to buy something tangible that you can take back into the present with you, and that you know is going to be much more valuable now than then.

[ Friday, November 18, 2005 15:45: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
While the language barrier is an obvious problem with this, I'd go back waaaaaaaaay far in time and try to meet Jesus in person. It'd be interesting, if nothing else.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Toenail Returns:

quote:

I was just wondering. No need to be rude.

Sarcasm untempered by the politeness filters that often fail in times of extreme exhaustion risks being perceived as rudeness.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #9
I'd go back in time to the last big lottery draw that nobody won. I would take with me a piece of paper with the lottery numbers on it. You people and your Coke stock, pshaw.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

With what money? Where are you going to find cash that would have been legal tender back in 1917? Obviously, your bank account details aren't going to be travelling back in time with you, after all.

I suppose you could buy gold bullion or something today and take it into the past, or even get a job and earn some money whilst in the past, but there still remains the issue of proving that the stock you bought in 1917 and have not touched since is actually yours without letting anyone on to the fact that you've travelled in time. Seems to me that it'd be easier to buy something tangible that you can take back into the present with you, and that you know is going to be much more valuable now than then.

And all of this is ignoring the fact that by investing in Coca-Cola in 1917, you could drastically alter the course of history. I don't think I even need to go over what the global economy collapsing much earlier would make the world look like today.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
I would like to go back in time a few minutes in order to delete this topic before I read it, thus preventing myself from deleting it and causing an infinite loop.

—Alorael, who suspects time travel is impossible (or at least very difficult) because God is, among other things, a very careful programmer.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #12
I'd go back in time to the 13th century so I could see Baghdad being properly destroyed.

Or Kiev. I'd settle for Kiev if the time machine flight to Baghdad is filled up. I'd just like to see the Mongols in action and getting really riled up.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
I'd go back to 2000 so I could relive the entire Bush presidency. :P

No, just kidding. I find myself content in this time scale.

--------------------
-ben4808
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #14
Man! And I thought [i]I[/i] was sick!
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #15
I would merely make personal alterations, going back within my own lifespan. While the idea of screwing with the timeline in a major way is appealing, I don't want to take the chance that I really mess things up.

I just don't want the reponsibility.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
10,000 years ago. Crimean peninsula. It would be useful to invent stuff. And it wouldn't be altering history at all, since that is what actually happened. Because I was there and invented stuff. And that is how it happened. I was there. Stuff happened. Then.

*this message sponsored by the acme sharp stick company*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
Can I go one time, of two times? If two, I'd first like to go forward, and profit of the new technology to make me know everything, then I would go back in time (about 50000 years or so) to the "third millenium," or in other words, the first and oldest millenium of the reign of the Sumerian kings.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by ben ben:

I'm not feeling especially masochistic.

Here's a thought, though. I'd like to go back to 1945-1946 and try to persuade his mother to have an abortion. :P

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
I'd go back to 1453, so I could witness the fall of Constantinople.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #20
Actually, I have just had a brainwave. I would go back to 1851 and find gold. And sell it. Then I would be rich, and wouldn't have to worry about any different currencys.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
quote:

I would go back to 1851 and find gold.
Trying to find gold in the middle of a gold rush has some problems, notably the other people also trying to find gold. It might be a better idea to go back to, say, 1845 and look for gold then. At that point you have the advantage of knowing about the gold before everyone else.

[Edit: It's not the this, it's not the that, it's the the!]

—Alorael, who has taken a bit of inspiration from Guns of the South and considered taking modern arms to Americans in 1490 or so. Spanish steel is less intimidating when it's matched against Kalashnikovs.

[ Sunday, November 20, 2005 14:11: Message edited by: The Society of Association ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #22
I voted 1990s. I'd rather go forward in time first, get a bunch of personal improvements (get the cure for asthma, better reflexes, some mental work like improving my sanity, focus and learning ability, learn a bunch of languages and such), and then (1) go waaaaaaaaaay back and try out being a god, then (2) go forward from there to the Roman Republic about 500 BC, then the same area about 100 BC, then the Empire during the rule of Claudius and meet the man, then (3) go to the 1500s, then (4) go to the U.S. Civil War, each of the World Wars and Russia during the Cold War. Then I'd come back here and make myself rich and not famous.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #23
quote:

quote:
Originally written by ben ben:

I'm not feeling especially masochistic.

Here's a thought, though. I'd like to go back to 1945-1946 and try to persuade his mother to have an abortion. :P

Unfortunately, her age was still seeing negative numbers at that time.

--------------------
-ben4808
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
Pretty sure he meant Bush's mother, not yours.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages