Civilization IV

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Civilization IV
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #0
I believe it was released today (10/25). Anyone got it yet? Impressions?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #1
Oh, man, now for all you folks out there grumbling about how we Mac users get to beta test first and get the SW games first, here is a much more typical situation for me—the game I'm most in love with of course goes to the Windoze folks first. Here's my secret: I'm a Civ fan above all other games. Nothing gives me the same satisfaction....or addiction. I'll have to scoot on over to the Civ IV site and start watching the feedback rolling in. It would be great to hear opinions from anyone here who might get it.

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #2
Civ is way too time consuming once you get a life... :P

I loved playing Civ II about 5 years ago, and I got Civ III last Christmas, but I haven't found time to even install it yet, let alone play it.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
Civ III had some problems, including a very tedious late game phase. That didn't stop me from playing it way too much, but I didn't have much a life at that point either. So, you got a point, and I think it is: GAMES ARE EVIL!

I hate anything that takes human beings away from actual contact and interaction with each other, and so many things, including games do that. So it is perhaps God's happy little joke on me that I love games so much.

AFTERTHOUGHT #1: Just as well I can't get my mitts on this one right now anyway. I'm still whittling away at this massive Avernum 4 beta. It's huge!

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 14:55: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #4
Hmm.. I've gotten all the other Civ games, and played most of them quite a bit, but none of them could really beat Civ 2. It had the magic, and the others only could attempt to improve on it, but seemed to just complicate it more.

Here's hoping Civ IV is better.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
I agree. I borrowed Civ 3 to try it out, but it was just less fun than Civ 2. I never bothered to buy it. I'll take a look at Civ 4, probably, but I'm still happy with 2.

—Alorael, who isn't actually good at Civ. The added complexity of Civ 3 only made him worse. He can't keep up with the learning curve anymore.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
A friend of mine is a major strategy junkie, and says the following: "It pwns dude, go get it." Apparently it was released today (or he hacked it from somewhere). I personally am very unlikely to ever even play the game, though I have aspirations to have some leet micro. Twitch-based is where it's at for me.

From all the previews I've read, it is a massive improvement over previous versions. Take that into consideration as you will.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #7
I much preferred CivIII over CivII and I am waiting with bated breath (tee hee) for Conquests and/or PTW to be ported to Mac.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #8
I hate to bend it to you, breaker....er, wait, no that's not right...

I hate to break it to you Bender, but if Conquests and PTW weren't ported to Mac about three years ago (which they weren't) they sure aren't about to do it now. A grievance that persists to this day with me.

I did get some mileage out of the Double Your Pleasure mod to Mac Civ III--it significantly alters and adds to the game. There are many better graphics to mod into CivIII too. I was shocked at how ugly and boring most of the CIv III graphics were. Civ II actually looked better for the most part, except the unit animations...those were nice.

Civ IV looks like it should be palatable visually, but I'm not sure how good the 3-D world is going to look...polygon rendering and all. The hardware requirements are steep too.

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #9
Civ II was the bane of freshman year in undergrad for me; Civ IV (or even II again, for that matter) would likely annihilate my law school career. Have fun, guys! :)
Apprentice
Member # 6393
Profile #10
I didn't realize Civ IV was out already. Drat. I'm involved - really involved- in Avernum 3 right now. Looking forward to seeing how the new version compares to the earlier ones.

--------------------
Poster: 'I love your demos, but I have Windows, what do I do?'

Answer: 'Get a Mac?'
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #11
Is Civ 4 really this good?

I may have to dust off my good ole XP-machine at this rate.

(Right now, I only use it for FF7/FF8.)

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #12
http://forums.civfanatics.com/civ4/info/

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #13
Here is a cool walkthrough of an entire game with lots of visuals. Have a look:

Civ IV Walkthrough

Anyone know when this thing's due out for Mac?

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Apprentice
Member # 6442
Profile #14
I greatly enjoyed Civ3, and I can't wait to get Civ4 for x-mas. With all of my games, I think I'll need a memory upgrade. As it was, I had to uninstall Civ3 b/c it was so slow. I think Civ4 will be worth at least a temporary chunk of my hard drive. I never got around to installling Civ3 Complete (includes both EPs).
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #15
I find Civ IV distinctly disappointing. Its graphical capabilities have exceeded my machine's abilities for some obscene reason, it's intentionally ugly (The Tech Is There And Must Be Used syndrome; the same reason we swapped out pretty pixel renders for hideous polygonated uglies in the 90s. Apparently using sprites is now like beating up Jesus.) and what's more, it's got an obscenely confusing and counterintuitive system of resource development.

Doesn't feel like Civ, in other words. As opposed to Civ III, which felt very much like Alpha Centauri and Civ II making love - this is good - it feels weird, like they took Civ III and threw out absolutely anything by which you might mistake it for the earlier series (little bobble-head citizens, icon-driven advisor screens, 'visible' combat damage, etc.), including a lot of neat stuff.

Playing it is a headache, the learning curve is too steep to be justified by the entertainment value, and attaching the Civ name to it seems almost heretical.
Warrior
Member # 4710
Profile #16
Wow, I read that entire walkthrough. Quite an overview of the game, to say the least.

--------------------
Life is short. Use a Mac.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #17
From the CivFanatics Site:

Good news for Macintosh Gamers! Civilization IV will be available for the Mac in early 2006 [ source ]. Aspyr Media will be bringing the game to the Mac. Civilization III: Complete (featuring both expansions of Civ3 :Play The World and Conquests ) will also be available for the Mac later this year, in December.

Inside Mac Games article

I was wrong about PTW and Conquests for Mac Civ III. It's good to be wrong sometimes.

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Belisarius:

As opposed to Civ III, which felt very much like Alpha Centauri and Civ II making love - this is good -
...bravo.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Belisarius:

I find Civ IV distinctly disappointing. Its graphical capabilities have exceeded my machine's abilities for some obscene reason, it's intentionally ugly (The Tech Is There And Must Be Used syndrome; the same reason we swapped out pretty pixel renders for hideous polygonated uglies in the 90s. Apparently using sprites is now like beating up Jesus.) and what's more, it's got an obscenely confusing and counterintuitive system of resource development.

Doesn't feel like Civ, in other words. As opposed to Civ III, which felt very much like Alpha Centauri and Civ II making love - this is good - it feels weird, like they took Civ III and threw out absolutely anything by which you might mistake it for the earlier series (little bobble-head citizens, icon-driven advisor screens, 'visible' combat damage, etc.), including a lot of neat stuff.

Playing it is a headache, the learning curve is too steep to be justified by the entertainment value, and attaching the Civ name to it seems almost heretical.

I second that. In fact, I have yet to see a strategy game that makes something good out of polygons. The only type of game I've played that make polygons look good are the first person shooters, maybe it's because most of them are situated in buildings and artificial constructions, on the other hand, stategy games usually have a lot of natural scenarios and many organic shapes that just don't look good all "poligonated" like that.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #20
Belisarius—I'm wondering if my G4 1.25 GHz machine here is going to handle Civ IV adequately. What hardware did you run it on to get your unsatisfactory results?

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]