Riddles & Brain Teasers

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Riddles & Brain Teasers
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #0
I don't think Spiderweb has ever had any kind of brain teaser topic before, at the very least not that I have noticed. Any way, let's see who can figure this one out. (It's rather simple, but I have better ones to pull out later.)

-

A man decided to go out to eat one nite, at a rather fine resturant. As he left the resturant, he was stopped by his waiter asking for him to pay his bill. The man gave his waiter a slip of paper that read,

"1004180"

After thinking for a moment, the waiter allowed him to leave.

How is this possible?

--------------------
Part of me wants to say, "Well, it's good enough for me, and it's my damn scenario," but another part of me sort of wants to hold back. I've settled on this compromise. -Kelandon
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
We've had several such topics.

I owe nothing for I ate nothing.

Yeh.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #2
Dang.......

Another.

-

Five hundred begins it,
Five hundred ends it,
Five in the middle is seen,
First of all figures,
The first of all letters,
Take up their stations between,
Join all together
and you will bring,
Before you the name of an eminant king.

-

By the way, answers don't count if you can't explain them.

EDIT: Small typo.

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 13:37: Message edited by: Commodore Redmark ]

--------------------
Part of me wants to say, "Well, it's good enough for me, and it's my damn scenario," but another part of me sort of wants to hold back. I've settled on this compromise. -Kelandon
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
'Tis simple... King David.

D - Roman numeral for 500
A - First of all letters
V - Roman numeral for 5
I - First of all figures
D - Roman numeral for 500

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #4
This one maybe too easy or too stupid depending on the person.

You and two of your friends go over to a Restaurant. After eating, the bill comes up to $30 dollars so you all decide to ship in $10 bucks each. Afterwards, you three go ahead and leave the Restaurant. A couple of minutes go by when a small kid comes running towards you and your friends. According to the Kid, the waiter made a mistake and the bill was $25 bucks, not $30. To be fair, you three decide to give $2 dollars to the little kid, and take a dollar each.

If between all of you three the money spent was $27 dollars, plus the $2 given to the kid, it would equal to $29 bucks. Then where is the other dollar???
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
I've heard that one before, but never the answer.

Anyway, I always liked the magic square:
Put all the numbers 1-9 in this square so each row, column, and diagonal adds up to 15.
+-+-+-+
| | | |
+-+-+-+
| | | |
+-+-+-+
| | | |
+-+-+-+

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
If you spent $30, and got $3 back, That means you spent $27. $27 = $25 plus $2 tip.

What about this is confusing?

Edit - OH! I see the confusing part. You are working the $2 twice, first to make $27, and then to add (again) to make $29.

*this message sponsored by ssi*

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 15:49: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
+-+-+-+
|6|6|6|
+-+-+-+
|6|6|6|
+-+-+-+
|6|6|6|
+-+-+-+

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 15:53: Message edited by: Jerry Gerard ]

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #8
Yep, it's all about the wording and trying to confuse people. It's kind of dumb, but I've seen many people get obsessed over it. Or some just go with the most common answer: "the waiter took it".
Now, I've def seen the Magic Square tons of times. Specially in math class.

Edit: and I'm not actually working the $2 twice. I got $27 from multiplying the 9 bucks spent from each person.

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 15:57: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #9
I have one (not sure if its completely right):

A man puts $50 into a bank.
Withdraws $20, leaving $30
Withdraws $15, leaving $15
Withdraws $9, leaving $6
Withdraws $6, leaving $0

$30
$15
$6
($0) +
=======
$51

Where did the extra dollar come from?

Or something like that. Its in my science book, I got it from a book in the library.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

I have one (not sure if its completely right):

A man puts $50 into a bank.
Withdraws $20, leaving $30
Withdraws $15, leaving $15
Withdraws $9, leaving $6
Withdraws $6, leaving $0

$30
$15
$6
($0) +
=======
$51

Where did the extra dollar come from?

That's hardly even a puzzle. You can't add the amounts that are left in the account after each withdrawal and expect them to add to $50 -- that's just silly. It's only a carefully-crafted coincidence that the sum even happened to be close to $50 in this particular case, making you think there's some connection between the amounts when there isn't.

(It's easy to see this by giving other examples. If you withdraw the $50 all at once instead of in little chunks, for example, the sum of amounts left after each withdrawal is obviously $0. If you withdraw it $1 at a time, the sum of amounts left after each withdrawal is, well, a lot more than $50.)

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 22:14: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by ben ben:

+-+-+-+
|6|7|2|
+-+-+-+
|1|5|9|
+-+-+-+
|8|3|4|
+-+-+-+

Took me 2 minutes.

Edit: Whoops, didn't check the diagonals.

Edit 2: Closer, but still not quite...

Edit 3: Got it. More like 7 minutes.

Edit 4: Urgle. According to the board, it actually took me 20 minutes after I first posted - tricky one.

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 23:06: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #12
Ten prisoners are due to be executed, but a rather twisted judge gives them a chance to survive. They are all lined up in front of each other, so each prisoner can see the people in front of him but not the people behind. The executioner puts a white or a black hat at random on each one, done so that nobody can see their own hat colour. Starting at the back, each prisoner has to say either "black" or "white". If he says the colour of his hat, he is freed, otherwise he is executed. Prisoners can hear what the previous ones said.

In advance, they are allowed to come up with a strategy to save as many as possible. What should they do, and how many (on average) will survive?

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Commodore Redmark:

A man decided to go out to eat one nite, at a rather fine resturant. As he left the resturant, he was stopped by his waiter asking for him to pay his bill. The man gave his waiter a slip of paper that read,

"1004180"

After thinking for a moment, the waiter allowed him to leave.

How is this possible?

Credit card number?

Wait - was there anything *else* on the slip of paper? I'm not familiar with the format of serial numbers on US bills...

Edit: Yeah, didn't read ahead. I wouldn't have thought of the solution either.

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 23:17: Message edited by: Noreni ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

Ten prisoners are due to be executed, but a rather twisted judge gives them a chance to survive. They are all lined up in front of each other, so each prisoner can see the people in front of him but not the people behind. The executioner puts a white or a black hat at random on each one, done so that nobody can see their own hat colour. Starting at the back, each prisoner has to say either "black" or "white". If he says the colour of his hat, he is freed, otherwise he is executed. Prisoners can hear what the previous ones said.

In advance, they are allowed to come up with a strategy to save as many as possible. What should they do, and how many (on average) will survive?

State the color of the hat in front of "him." This means 9.5 on average will survive.

*this message sponsored by half.com*
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

State the color of the hat in front of "him." This means 9.5 on average will survive.

Wait, how? Each person can either give the guy in front of him information by stating the colour of the hat in front of him, or act on the information given to him by stating his own hat colour given to him by the guy behind him -- he can't do both. I can see how you can get up to 7.5 by having people alternate between stating the hat colour in front of them and their own hat colour, but I don't see how you get to 9.5.

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 23:33: Message edited by: Explode Thuryl Now ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #16
1) I have two American coins in my hands equalling fifty-five cents, but one of them is not a nickel. What are the two coins?

2) A big Indian and a little Indian are sitting on a fence. The little Indian is the big Indian's son, but the big Indian is not the little Indian's father. Who is the big Indian?

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
1) A half-dollar and a nickel. The half-dollar is the one of them that is not a nickel.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Explode Thuryl Now:

Wait, how? I don't see how you get to 9.5.
Bah!
It's late, I'm tired and cranky, and if some extra folks on death row stop eating taxpayer food then I'm pleased. But, to answer your question, it could be the way he says it that clues the next person to their hat color.

Like if you know your hat color is black, and the next is black, then it is said quickly. If White is next, say "Blaaaaaack."

Back up to 9.5 people, and now I'm convinced that this is a Khoth inspired conspiracy to have RW and RB take over this forum as well.

*this message sponsored by your favorite infomercial*
Apprentice
Member # 6009
Profile #19
2) the big indian is the little indian's mother!
Apprentice
Member # 5554
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Explode Thuryl Now:

quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Wait, how? Each person can either give the guy in front of him information by stating the colour of the hat in front of him, or act on the information given to him by stating his own hat colour given to him by the guy behind him -- he can't do both. I can see how you can get up to 7.5 by having people alternate between stating the hat colour in front of them and their own hat colour, but I don't see how you get to 9.5.

Thuryl, I keep reading your new moniker as "Explore Thuryl Now". :P

[ Wednesday, October 26, 2005 00:35: Message edited by: Khelavaster, the Dead Sage ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
I'm attempting to start a meme.

Unfortunately, I don't think "Explode Khelavaster, the Dead Sage Now" will fit in the name entry box. "Explode Aran Now" will, though.

[ Wednesday, October 26, 2005 01:15: Message edited by: Explode Thuryl Now ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
Busted! :P
---
Next riddle:

A man was murdered, and his murderer wanted to disguise it as a suicide.

When the police found him, he was sitting in his car. The car's windows were open, the car stood in the garage and the engine was running.

Why did they immediately suspect foul play?

(And no, his body showed no wounds)

[ Wednesday, October 26, 2005 03:33: Message edited by: Noreni ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #23
The garage door was open?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
Ouch. Sorry, forgot that one. No, the car is running in a closed garage.

--------------------

Pages