God Stuff (Antichrist! You better spell it right! )

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: God Stuff (Antichrist! You better spell it right! )
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
I hope no one minds if I port this conversation to its own home instead of under someone else's ongoing unrelated topic.

quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

Well, if you insist...
*jumps on elicited permission to continue religous tirade :P *

[QUOTE]Originally written by Estimational Leap:
[qb]Jewels: Okay, you just raised my Christianity confusion level again. If Jesus specifically didn't abolish Leviticus, why is so much of Leviticus ignored? Specific passages elsewhere spell out what's not important anymore?

—Alorael, who disapproves of CoC-skirting names, even CoC-skirting non-English.

Well, yes and no. I would not as yet call myself a scholar, but from my understanding, which I'll admit is far from perfect or complete, all the Law that had to do with sacrifice or attonement for making oneself clean in no longer necessary because that is what Christ 'fulfilled' by his death on the cross. These laws should not be kept because the price for all sin has already been paid and all are 'clean' who accept his sacrifice for their salvation.

Then Jesus also said that keeping the commandments of 'love the Lord your God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself' fulfilled all the rest of the commandments. So for instance, if you love God with all your heart you automatically won't take his name in vein because you know by reading the Word that he doesn't like it. If you love God with all your heart you will automatically rest on the Sabbath because you know that it pleases God for you to do so. If you love your neighbor, you're not going to murder him or lie about him or steal from him. If you break any of the ten commandments then you have also broken the commandments of love. (Which is why I agree that there can be no sin in perfect love.)

Now for the rest of Leviticus that doesn't pertain to sacrifices or unclenliness, I am still searching. I had never looked at 'heaven and earth' the way Synergy described it. It would make sense since Jesus's death on the cross was the fulfillment of the law. Plus I feel no conviction to wear clothing made of only one material and don't see the rational behind not boiling a young goat in it's mother's milk(though I haven't eaten goat at all). As it is, I look to the Spirit to convict me on what is a sin 'for me', and let him convict other Christians in like manner. The 'freedom' I have in Christ is not a free pass to doing anything I want, it is the privilage to do what the Lord leads without fear. I do still have a responsibility to learn the Law and seek out the truth in it.

quote:
Orignally written by Synergy:
Ask Gizmo if she owns anything.
Ah, but I got this double meaning. And actually there is nothing I'd like more then to leave all my stuff behind and go to volunteer at Hepzibah Children's Home full time, but I have a family to raise first and some learning and growing to do as well. It is actually more trying for me to stay put and deal with the work God has given me to do now then it would be to drop everything and serve him elsewhere. When the door opens I'm more then willing to walk through it.

quote:
Jesus was a mystic, a rebel, a breaker of the rules, a friend of prostitutes, and a very clever orator. If the same guy came around today and started preaching in his style to the churches today, he’d be “crucified” all over again. I guarantee it.
The problem is that this is how the AntiChrist is supposed to be, too. Fooling even some of the 'elite'. It's a good thing we know how Jesus is really going to come back. No one will be able to deny Him then.

* As a side observation, I note that you have repeatedly reffered to Jesus as a 'guy'. What are your views on the Trinity and Godhood of Jesus?

[ Saturday, November 12, 2005 23:51: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #1
EDIT: The last shall be first: first the streamlined form:

quote:
Jewels essentially said:

if you love God with all your heart you...(will keep the ten commandments)

Yet not by outward compulsion or inward struggle for control, simply out of your own changing nature from within. You'll naturally not commit any "tresspass".

quote:
The 'freedom' I have in Christ is not a free pass to doing anything I want
Or maybe that actually is exactly what it is because it is good for us to be free to learn from our mistakes without condemnation or fear, and because it is more about our learning and growing up into maturity and wisdom, than it is about never "doing anything wrong."

quote:
The problem is that this is how the AntiChrist is supposed to be too.
There is no such animal. Christian mythology shoddily constructed out of three verses written by John mismatched with symbology in Revelation and a few other oddities thrown in. Christians waste a good fear on a superman who is never to materialize.

quote:
you have repeatedly refered to Jesus as a 'guy'. What are your views on the Trinity and Godhood of Jesus?
The Sun has three aspects: an invisible body of mass which is a source of terrific fusion energy and radiation. That radiation moves through space invisibly as energy waves at tremendous speed. When it hits my body, it becomes visible as light in my eye and creates heat upon my skin—it makes my life possible from 93 million miles away.

That's how I see God...you can see three aspects of His being and influence, but it's one God, one Source, not three Gods. Jesus was connected to the Source and became a visible expression of that Source.

EDIT: The first shall be last: last—the original unadulterated post with a few enhancements and, yes, expansions.

quote:
Jewels essentially said:

if you love God with all your heart you...(will keep the ten commandments)

A good part of me is not too keen on pursuing this, because ironically, I really have minimal faith in the process of argument alone to open people’s eyes to new perspectives on God. (At the same time, argument is not a dirty word nor does it need imply aggression). To even begin to do any of these very rich and deep topics justice takes way more words than is possible or appropriate here, really. Compromising that invites misunderstanding at best. I’ll respond though, since you’ve made some inquiry and another part of me somehow hopes that what I just said might somehow not entirely be the case.

I think I’ve been stating in a few ways that what I see as inspired and valuable in Scriptures is the deeper spiritual symbology the surfacy things including the old literal law really point to and talk about. Under the old law, what went into a man defiled him. Jesus came along and said, it’s really what comes out of you (your heart and mouth—your spirit and attitude being expressed) which is what defiles us. So, when I look at the old law and the ten commandments, I really see a deeper significance to the points they once made in a literal way. And these principles, while having practical and real applications, are highly spiritual in nature. They speak of spiritual laws and principles.

Keeping the sabbath holy...well, do we really think the God of all time and space and of all creation needs us to stop everything and pay forced ritualized homage to Him, or that He “needs” our worship that requires us to take a special day of the week to do something religious? Fathers simply want the continual (not intermittent) love, respect, and emulation of their children, so they grow up wisely and balanced and disciplined, rejecting foolish and hurtful selfish things and learning to use their talents for the good of all, neither being self-serving, nor going to waste. God is presented as a Father figure so we understand the nature of our spiritual relationship to Him. Only tyrants demand someone to kneel and grovel before them. Love from within, however, compels voluntary behavior and a change in heart as we grow in our love. I think our idea of “worship” of God is often off the mark.

There is a biological truth to a weekly rest needed for the optimal health of the body. I see that God really wants our hearts, so our worship of God is to acknowledge the wisdom, grace, love, and beauty that is God seen in others, in creation, and in ourselves...and to live out of that life and awareness. That is worship to me (a living worship that shows God, not just talks about God), rather than chanting something in some building somewhere and going through some tired, hollow outer motions.

We demonstrate our admiration of and unity with the heart of God by how we live daily and how we love others. We need to give them life, not religion and rules. We love God by loving His many children, and learning also to accept and love ourselves as His good and worthy creation Whom He loves and admires and for whom He has grand intentions. That to me is real worship which makes our Dad proud and pleased, and actually accomplishes something in this world. It shows we admire and respect Him and His principles which are based on His character.

The principle of resting being associated with the seventh day tells us something about the nature of the work of God (seven is the number of completed and perfected things). Six is the number of man and man’s things. God also invites us to “enter into His rest”—to take part in that seventh day spiritually, not literally any longer. It enables in us a work that rests while in motion, knows peace in the midst of noise and chaos, and lets a spirit operate naturally and faithfully through our hearts instead of striving outwardly in the flesh to control behaviors and keep laws and make spiritual things happen through natural efforts. I don’t mean we don’t do lots of things here in the natural. I mean we don’t try to accomplish them merely out of the natural. If you want to keep the Sabbath holy as God means it, you have to enter into His place of rest which permits the Spirit to operate through your outward life.

Simply, to connect with the life of God is to enter a place of rest where natural striving can cease, and all the “work” we do spiritually in the world is restful, even while having great power and potential effect. Every day should be the day we “rest” and worship God in who we are being and what we are doing. It doesn’t even require saying “God” in anything. It requires loving and honoring God by demonstrating God to our siblings in this world (that’s everyone) and reacquainting those who are estranged from their own Father with a compelling taste of Who He is because of what can be seen and known in those who have “seen” Him.

quote:
The 'freedom' I have in Christ is not a free pass to doing anything I want
And yet, if this freedom from the law of sin and death and the payment in full for the wages of sin (falling short) does not include the freedom to do what is in our hearts, then we are condemned all over again, just as under the old law. Jesus said, if you desire a thing in your heart it is the same thing as doing it. Practically speaking, it makes no difference to your spiritual condition whether you are desiring a thing and controlling the outward fulfilliment of that desire or actually simply doing it.

You can’t fool God, and He wants our hearts and beings, not controlled outward behavior. Yes, we are to grow in discipline and loving behavior. That comes naturally out from within as we connect with God and surrender to that Life Force in us instead of trying to conform to the outward form of “being good.” The grace of God is that it IS effortless, just as a new tree grows from a seed that falls into soil and is watered. The seed doesn’t strive to grow. It just does, because it has the law of life in it and it just does what it does. The life of God in us grows the same way as we keep it nurtured.

Tyrants compel outward compliance with little regard to inner desire. God wants us to love and embrace Him wholly out of our admiration, trust, love, and adoration—like a son for a wise and loving father whom he wants to grow up and be like.

Our freedom now simply has to include the liberty to follow our hearts and work out and transform the desires of our hearts until they come into accord with the heart of God which is perfect in love. If we are condemned at each step that our hearts still desire things and imagine things which fall short of perfect love, then the price paid for the redemption of all the removal of all sin is paid in vain, not paid in full, not paid at all really. It’s done us no good . We are not really free from anything. We are still in danger of being condemned by our hearts, let alone, by our behavior. That’s still bondage to the law of sin and death.

And none of us can live up to that, just as Israel always failed to keep the law and just as children growing up have not yet learned to be selfless beings. We require much experience and discipline and growth to work selfish and unloving and hurtful things out of our hearts, out of our desires. We have to grow up. The best teacher is experience. That is why I suggested to Alex that he might have to go explore experientially the sexual wishes of his heart so he can learn through experience what are to be the ultimate desires and values of his heart.

To bury desire under controlled behavior is psychologically and physically unhealthy, and fails to ever deal with the root of or understanding of, or changing of that desire, if indeed it even needs to be changed. A lot of what we think God is hung up about, is only what we have decided to get hung up about. We waste a lot of time judging good and evil for ourselves and others and beating each other up over it when God just wants us to get on with learning how to love and get over ourselves. In fact, that is the original sin, taking the task upon ourselves to judge good and evil, right and wrong. We adopted our own system of morality which condemns us but has no power to give us life to overcome our weaknesses, our missing the mark (our sins).

I needed to own a convertible Mustang once. Having finally owned one, I soon no longer valued or desired one. Through experience, the desires of my heart evolved. I got it out of my system. It is not something I value now. Had I never just gotten one, I would have never gotten past that desire and moved on to more mature perspectives. It’s a simple parallel example.

There is a Scripture which says God promises to “give us the desires of our hearts.” Well anyone believer or non can readily see this is not so at we’d normally read it. God is no free vending machine in the sky. We are to read it that He places, inworks, reworks, transforms, and adds to the desires of our hearts until they conform to the law of love which the old law pointed to. We are given new desires as we grow spiritually. We don’t have to strive after changing our hearts. We strive to remain connected to God Who nurtures that life within us.

quote:
quote:
Orignally written by Synergy:
Ask Gizmo if she owns anything.
Ah, but I got this double meaning.
I hope you understood that I wasn’t really suggesting I think you or anyone needs to jettison all (or any) earthly possessions in order to enter into the life of God. I don’t ever use the term “go to heaven” because Scripture never once uses it, and doesn’t seem to be talking about going anywhere or even putting it off into a future event when you look a little closer. It’s popular Christian jingoism, but it ain’t what’s written. God and the Life He offers freely to all of us is all about the here and now and becoming something through the rulership of God in us now. It’s all about spiritual condition, not some physical or astral location.

I was pointing toward the absurdity to see that Jesus or Paul or anyone was coming along to establish new wordly rules to determine our spiritual condition in God. Nothing on the outside, including what we do or don’t own can determine our spiritual condition or connection. It is neither caused by it or prevented by it. That is how our free invitation to communion with God works. It is not based on our worthiness. It is based on the grace of God our Father desiring union with his own children no matter what state they are in.

I already said (in the terminated thread this evolved from) something about the principle I believe Jesus was getting at in that dialog about riches and possessions and letting go of things. The riches are really the inner things in our hearts we cling to which we feel wealthy and safe within—typically religious things—but which really rob us of connecting with God ourselves directly. That’s something worthy of some serious contemplation if you ask me.

I am studying to be a psychotherapist. It bothers me greatly that I will be charging people money to do something I really want somehow to be able to do for free while living in this world, because I love doing it and I want to encourage and nurture others in life out of whatever I have to help do it. I will be able to give away some of this gift, but until more of the world learns to operate on a freely receive/freely give principle, I can’t live that way exclusively...I’d be tempted to try, but I’m still contemplating how God can enable us to live on the principle of “freely receive/freely give” in a world which worships and requires money.

Gizmo, I’d surely say you do much to love and demonstrate the heart of God (and to worship God) in the loving and wise raising of your children with your husband, a very important and noble task all by itself which has long-running effect upon this world and its future. We do similarly (or could) in our daily jobs as engineers, barristas, checkers, doctors, plumbers, or whatever. There is no limit to the time, place, or way in which it is possible to do that restful, but dynamically effective work of God by showing God to others through love, and not only showing, but changing others, including forming children steeped in a spirit of love and knowing Who their Father is.

Love has transformational power. The work of God has nothing to do with sanctified and religious outward trappings—missions work or being a pastor is no more holy and Godly a thing than a common janitor simply loving and nurturing people out of the strengths and insights God gave him in his own environment, and therefore showing God to them. Our every breath and whole being should radiate the heart and quality and passion of God to others, even if we never utter His name aloud to anyone. The world is crying out, “Show me, don’t tell me.” (As I spend many words telling about God...yes, ironic, but there is a place for word and argument too).

quote:
The problem is that this is how the AntiChrist is supposed to be too.
That’s a whole ‘nuther big discussion all by itself, and I could spend quite a few words looking at just the three little scriptures which use the word “antichrist” and a few others (which don’t) but which get tacked into the mythology. I’ll try to suggest something basic. Christians have built up some huge, silly, fearful mysticisms out of some very simple and greatly misunderstood passages. Fear always shows us we’re going off in the wrong direction. Fear is the killer of bodies and a spirit of love alike. Fear is the great adversary. It disconnects us from God, and it betrays our lack of faith in His character and His promise, not to mention His sovereignty over all His creation. I see fear at the root of everything we ultimately call “sin.” If we fear, we are failing in our living in the spirit of Love which is of God. Nor do we need to wield fear to motivate anyone back to their Father.

John in his three books wrote about antichrist—that it is a spirit (an attitude or energy which we see operating through people) and that there are already (in the first century) many antichrists operating in the world. How do we get one evil future supervillain out of this kind of basic principle? Mixing these kind of simple passages with symbols in Revelation about a “man of sin” and other misappropriated bits and pieces from farflung parts of Scriptures has led to some wild sci-fi tales now taught by a variety of denominations today. You know, Christians were sure that Nero guy was “the antichrist” and they’ve been getting it wrong ever since. So much fear...a terrible price to pay for using the natural mind to ascertain spiritual things.

It ain’t ever going to happen, so you can stop worrying. I can promise you this. I wish I could take it away from everybody, but I doubt I could by any few words. It’s a terrible lie full of fear (we like being afraid) which serves no good and leads many to abandon hope to this life and our privileges and calling right here right now. Plenty could be similarly addressed concerning “second comings”, “tribulations” and “raptures”, and plenty more. We’ve dragged so many things from simple, but potent spiritual principles and promises down into fearful, twisted literal earthly things.

“The” Antichrist is a term that never appears in the Bible. “Anti” is a Greek word that means “opposed to”, but also means“instead of”—a substitute. Christ is just a word (not a name) meaning “anointing/anointed”. Anti-christ is the spirit that operates in the world to substitute the life of God (and therefore oppose its operation) with something else which is not the life of God. We can say the spirit of anti-christ is the substitute anointing which works in the world to divert people from true life and power in God. I suggest this speaks more about religious deception and blind following (especially in our very own hearts) which leads many people astray from simple spiritual connection with God, and not about anything “out there” in the natural world that threatens.

Certainly not a charismatic world leader. Someone hasn’t been paying attention if he thinks one human being can ever hope to entice all nations to submit to his rule. No man in all of history has ever achieved it, though many have tried. We should pay attention to the prophecy of the statue in Daniel which shows five nation systems which were to dominate in the natural world. There was Assyria, Babylon, Persia, Rome, and the broken up nations which came out of the Roman Empires (roughly Europe) and which were said would never cleave together, just like the ten toes of iron and clay they were. Then the vision shows a rock which grinds them all to powder and is said to be the “Kingdom of Heaven” doing away with all these systems and replacing it with that divine rulership.

Someone tell me where in this succession is room for a world government led by a man? Can’t do it or you are contradicting God’s own prophecy—if you are going to follow Scripture, the same one that talks about antichrist spirits and symbolic “man of sin” in Revelation. There are no other world governments ever to come again, only the eventual conquering of all hearts of humanity by the spiritual rule of God in men which Jesus demonstrated. That’s what’s left on the agenda. It’s not complicated. It just will take a long unfolding as it has been. And I don’t mean the rule of Churchianity again.

quote:
you have repeatedly refered to Jesus as a 'guy'. What are your views on the Trinity and Godhood of Jesus?
Crickey, Gizmo, you are determined to make me write an embarrassingly long post again and I don’t want to! But I can’t begin to do any one of these questions any justice with a few short sentences. What to do? I can simply try to offer a very summary kind of answer, but it can only scratch the surface and may sound unthinkable on its face to any traditional thinking.

First and foremost God is One, as all things are ultimately His, of Him, out of Him, because of Him, for Him, to Him, and promised in our same scriptures repeatedly to be brought into wholeness and unity within Him in due time. God is One, God is three in one sense, God is many, and God is all. God is really a family, signified by the Father-Source, children who are sons (and daughters, but the symbol is Son). Paul said Jesus was “the firstborn of many brothers” and that “all shall be alive in Him in due order.” We are called into sonship just as Jesus demonstrated sonship. If he was magically enabled in some way we cannot be, then we have no hope of entering into what he showed us. But we are called and urged to do exactly that! He is the Pattern Son, the example.

This is another controversial issue for sure, but Jesus himself never said worship me, I am God. He always spoke of and pointed to the Father, even while saying, “We are one.” But we too are to be one with God and united as one true body with one Mind alone, the “mind of Christ”—the “anointed mind” which is found in the Father and was seen in Jesus the anointed. I see Jesus as no less or more human than you or me, yet I also see us as no less divine via our Godly birthright than Jesus, who is called our older brother. This does not diminish Jesus. It raises us up out of the sinful, lowly fallen muck we like to keep decorating ourselves with, imagining that God approves when we call ourselves sons of pigs instead of His sons. It establishes us all as the sons of God who are called to believe it and act like it. We don’t have the authority or role Jesus had. He served a special purpose. But He is our brother, the firstrunner, the firstfruits. This is all right in that Bible of yours, in those terms.

He demonstrated first what we are destined also to fulfill if we dare believe it and pursue it...that walk in union with the Father Who is our Source of life and love, and was the Source for the love and character of Jesus. We are called to be like him. I don’t know three Gods, I know One God expressed in a multitude of ways. I know something of Him as Father. I know something of Him as expressed as the Pattern Son, Jesus (the example of our sonship), I know and see Him operating as “holy spirit”--the invisible energetic working of God in others and in ourselves through our connection with the Father just as Jesus did. These aren’t three separate Gods, but three ways God has manifested, and one of which we are specifically called into. But God is infinite and all His creation is to be One in Him in the “end”. God is really just One, but vastly so in His oneness and expression. One in countless numbers, in countless children ultimately. He promised it. He will make it so as we make it so. But He’s going to do what Fathers do and help us get there without doing it for us.

We are the spiritual children of God, so we are a part of the God family. As we grow up spiritually in our family, we are given the privileges and authority that goes with the territory. Jesus demonstrated a portion of this and called us to join, always talking about the “Kingdom of Heaven” (the ruling of the Spirit within us). Paul called us to follow his example so that we could reflect Jesus as if in a mirror. I believe God has indeed, as promised, made this possible for us. Jesus came to show us and open up to us the call back into the life God made us to have as His own children and of His kind, which is the God kind.

We are not God, but we are of God and out of God, and one in God. We have inherited his incorruptible nature which is found deep in our spirits which came out of God and cannot be corrupted. But we have done a good job burying that life deeply under lies and distractions and fears and self-created isolation from the Source of Life. We need to get reconnected and shed all the crud we have had stuck onto us, marring our vision and reflection. We became enemies of God in our own minds, not in God’s. We ran from Him. We need only turn back into life. We are not held back by Him. We are not disqualified. Jesus came to show us the way back into Life. Not by him, the magical man, but by him as the living example of connection with and outflow from the Divine Father.

We are to grow up into mature sons of God. Christ is the firstborn, but we are to follow in his footsteps...not deify him and worship him instead of our Father, because he is like us, our elder brother to be admired, emulated, and loved, and hopefully to be understood, because he was pushing us to do something. I think this is one of the biggest ways Christianity went off the mark very early on...the making of Jesus into something superhuman and alien, cutting us off from the same kind of life and connection he showed us and showed was possible for us.

[Massively huge post resurrected] - no Balm of Life required.

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 22:27: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #2
Wow.

I haven't read it yet, but wow.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #3
Like teh Creator said.

--------------------
I am a pale shadow of the previous self.
quote:

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

... We are the spiritual children of God, ...
Somehow I misread first: "we are the spiritual chicken of God ..." *_*

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Don't feel too bad: I keep reading the "Explore Mars Now" topic as "Explode Mars Now".

Which would be a pretty cool thing to do, actually, but ultimately unproductive.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
Unproductive? You, Sir, are unpatriotic! We must attack Mars before it can attack us! If you're not with us, you're with the green bug-eyed monsters - take the war to the Martian terrorists' homefront! Now! :P

Edit: Besides, they have WMD. I'm sure of it.

Edit2: And I'm quite certain they eat kittens and oppress their populace.

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 03:29: Message edited by: Noreni ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Wow.

I haven't read it yet, but wow.

I concur. That's one intimidating chunk of argument... I'm almost scared to read it for fear my brain will explode from information overload.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #8
I'm with Ash: TL DR but wow indeed.
Spy.there: That's perfectly normal. I think the chicken gods obsession has gotten to all of us.
Thuryl: *laughs* funny
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Don't feel too bad: I keep reading the "Explore Mars Now" topic as "Explode Mars Now".

Which would be a pretty cool thing to do, actually, but ultimately unproductive.

Col. Kurtz goes into space!

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #10
Holy Highway to Heck, Batman, we've reached critical mass! What's this guy's problem, anyway?

Now you can see why I wish I wouldn't dig into the spiritual stuff in writing. If I try to do it, it's gonna be way too long and no one is going to read it anyway. I will guess that maybe three people will actually read it, but I wrote it mostly for Jewels since she asked.I got nothin' to sell. It's a good exercise though, compiling thoughts and arguments and perspectives into writing.

And then there is the amusing unpredictability SW factor: where a topic begins may have nothing to do with where it goes next.

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #11
Don't flood a topic if you expect a germane response.

There's a basic dichotomy between rationalist philosophy and intuitivist philosophy. I get along with rationalists pretty well, and I find intuitivism frustrating.

Doesn't matter if they're intuitivists who believe in any particular God, intuitivist pagans, intuitivist atheists, whatever. It's irritating to deal with someone whose principles are entirely self-moored.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #12
The "guy" I was poking fun at was myself, not anyone who responded. There is over a decade of personal intensive immersion into exploring the belief syterm/perspectives I express just a little of (ha ha) above. They are not my own ideas primarily, though it is something of an amalgamation and fusion.

There are sizable rationalist arguments behind many of the points I make, mostly useful to people who grew up in some kind of Christian faith, but I have learned long ago it's not really worth arguing much on proofs about translational issues and cultural contextual issues and whatnot.

People aren't often convinced by the most blatant facts about meanings of Greek words, (there is no "eternal" torment in Scipture!) or say, the simple first verse of the book of Revelation which says, "this book is given in SIGNS" (therefore it is not about literal flaming mountains falling into oceans and turning into blood), but many people don't want to be rational where a lifetime of invested faith and dogma (and fear) is threatened. It's a scary thing to even consider your former foundation of knowledge and security may be less sure than long assumed.

But I'm a fighter and an optimist, so I still throw things out in case anyone wants to chew on them at all .

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

EDIT: And now, the streamlined and probably as equally unuseful form:
Aww... could you at least PM me the full version?
I'd like to read the whole thing no matter how long it is.

*hopes she doesn't regret saying so*

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #14
Who could say no to someone named Gizmo?

Your wish is my command. I think one or two people here might have actually read my novellette before I edited it down a wee bit....which was another fun exercise in itself.

Hope I don't break your mailbox...here comes...pour yourself some tea or cocoa and get comfy. I think I was pretty nice...you shouldn't regret giving it a peek I s'pose.

P.S. If you ask me nicely and you think it's worth the bother, I'll even consider inflicting it back into this thread. :D

EDIT 1: Oh, Gizzy-mo, your PM mailbox is all stuffed up again. No can do.

EDIT 2: Maybe one PM from me fills up an entire mailbox, huh? And I'm not sure I like the way you said, "get rid of it"!

EDIT 3: I still get this message: "Sorry, either the user or the board administrator is blocking access to this email address."

EDIT 4: Incoming! (email) [picture telephone book dropping out of sky onto desktop with very loud noise]

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 14:51: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #15
:confused: All I got in there is the one you sent me last... let me go get rid of it.

There, now it's empty. If it doesn't work it must just be too big in which case I'd ask if you'd pretty please put it back in the thread and ignore all the nay-sayers that just don't want to read. 'Cause they don't hafta if they don't wanna.

Edit 2: 'Get rid of it' means save it in notepad. ;)

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url] if you want to send it that way.

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 14:46: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
Hm... so that gi-normous post wasn't the full version? I'd appreciate a copy of the full one.

In all honesty, atheism makes all of this simpler. Then again, it doesn't, at least not the way it comes together in my mind.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #17
Which gi-normous post do you mean, Eph? The one which apparently caused Ash earlier to say, "Wow!" or the still not so short highly abbreviated version you see up there now?

AFTERTHOUGHT #1: I'd like to think I'm very much with you on the simplicity track. I am convinced all the great truths of life and our reality are simple enough for children to understand at heart. What makes it so lengthy and complicated to discuss is all the religious baggage of history one has to go up against to try to re-reduce it all to simple, basic truths. My approach to and philsophy for living is very simple. I could sum it up in a couple of sentences probably, and some of that is actually my own original thought and conclusion rather than the reduction of others.

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 15:02: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #18
Yes, I meant your second post, before it got edited.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #19
I'd like to know where Syn got the idea of the Antichrist being a fake. Just curious.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #20
:eek:

Um... this might take me a while.

I'd say go ahead and put it back up but underneath your cliff notes. That way people who want to read it can and people who don't want to still have the jist of it.

--------------------

Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #21
Look, Synergy, why do you keep doing this? I read your answer post, the long one, and it took me.. maybe 5, 10 minutes tops? It wasn't long! It doesn't matter if you post long or short, and though I do the opposite I daresay long posts are all the more better than short ones.

Also, it's like you're seeking attention. "Look at me, I'm so scared because I write so intelligently! Please beg me for more!"
Now, you don't really want to do that, do you?

Basically, my point is this: STOP WHINING AND DO YOUR WORST. Thank you. Now stop shortening your posts.

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #22
Umm...thanks, Riibu...I think. I don't remember whining about anything. I'm just my own worst critic and am prone to change my mind on a whim. Either that or you brilliantly pegged me—it's all a cheap ploy to drum up hype and interest. You decide... :cool:

EDIT: Ash, great quote. I may have to adopt it.

[ Tuesday, October 25, 2005 21:32: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #23
Who was the guy who said "Sorry for the length of this letter, but I didn't have time to write a short one"?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #24
Well, not whine really, but it would've censored the word I did want to use, so I had to come up with something else. You must excuse me for that because I'm foreign and everyone lets them off easier. (even if they shouldn't -_-; )

EDIT: stupid smilies, no place for those in this post.

[ Wednesday, October 26, 2005 01:41: Message edited by: Pien' Kiusanhenki ]

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?

Pages