Came back from Holland to find that most of my best friends are bi.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Came back from Holland to find that most of my best friends are bi.
Apprentice
Member # 6406
Profile Homepage #0
After a five year stint in Holland, I returned only to discover that two of my oldest friends are as gay as Christmas, dont get me wrong, I have no problem with that. But it just came as a shock, especially when they pushed me away when i asked them about it W*nkers!

--------------------
jackoooo
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
gay as Christmas
Christmas is a Christian holiday, and being gay is against what the bible says, so, they're not gay at all.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
1. "Gay" at some point in time meant happy, not homosexual. In the Christmas context, it is usually the first meaning that applies (there are several older christmas carols with that word, which always managed to crack our choir up in Middle School :rolleyes: )

2. Christmas is a Christian holiday in name only. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #3
Yes, even us heathens enjoy exchanging gifts on the 25th of December...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #4
I have never encountered "gay as Christmas" before, but it's pretty clever.

Friends who push you out of their lives are jerks, and I'm sorry to hear about that.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Yes, even us heathens enjoy exchanging gifts on the 25th of December...
Irregardless, Christmas is originally a Christian holiday, as is Easter.

quote:
I have never encountered "gay as Christmas" before, but it's pretty clever.
How is that clever? I think it's stupid.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally posted by Eldibs:
Irregardless, Christmas is originally a Christian holiday, as is Easter.

There is no such word as irregardless, and Christmas was spread in large part by mixing with Saturnalia and winter solstice rituals. Easter is a Christian holiday, but the name comes from a decidedly non-Christian fertility goddess.

—Alorael, who would like to know whether these friends are "gay" or "bi," as the post and the title disagree. There is a difference, you know. And that's enough malicious pedantry for today!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
Despite the prevelent wisdom, Christmas is merely a Catholic event name for the Pagan celebration of Mithras (the sun god) and his return to the sky following the winter solstice. That is all.

Edit- Now I see Alo bumped in front of me, so I will answer to the second part, that of the cleverness of the phrase. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it is either stupid or not clever. It may have another meaning however, but that might take some personal insight.

*this message sponsored by ra and amaterasu*

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:59: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #8
Christmas does come from Christianity. It celebrate Jesus' birth, and unifies the professing of Christendom.

And that line is def not that clever, since I've def heard it before several times.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
There is no such word as irregardless
It shows up in my dictionary, and can be considered a word in common usage, such as ain't, and limo.

quote:
Christmas does come from Christianity. It celebrate Jesus' birth, and unifies the professing of Christendom.
Exactly.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 13:02: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
I just checked my dictionary and found the word brainwash.

*this message sponsored by history*
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #11
They've supposedly added the word "chick-flick" to the dictionary just recently.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Let's not start a fight here, guys. It's true that the manner of celebration of Christmas today results from the syncretisation of a bunch of pagan solstice festivals; this is a historical fact. However, Christians are of course entitled to hold a festival on any day of the year that they like, and use whatever excuse for it they like.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Despite the prevelent wisdom, Christmas is merely a Catholic event name for the Pagan celebration of Mithras (the sun god) and his return to the sky following the winter solstice. That is all.
Indeed, which is why I said the connection was nominal. In fact, Easter appears to be far more strongly connected to Christianity than Christmas.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Let's not start a fight here, guys. It's true that the manner of celebration of Christmas today results from the syncretisation of a bunch of pagan solstice festivals; this is a historical fact. However, Christians are of course entitled to hold a festival on any day of the year that they like, and use whatever excuse for it they like.
Work's a pain in the rumpus today. This makes it tolerable. :P

*this message sponsored within the budget, somewhere*
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #15
:) Hi, grote lul, welcome to Spiderweb!*
I wonder why your friends pushed you away. Because you are not gay as Christmas?
I'm also curious what would be the meaning of "lul".

*gives precedence to Alorael to post the incantation about sanity and and fluffy turtles (it'll be much more perfect).

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #16
Woah, everyone stop being so politically correct. Everyone interprets differently, and this topic was never meant to be about Christmas and homosexuality anyway, beyond the bisexuality of the dude's friends.

--------------------
Fo shizzle, my lord.

Two goldfish are in a tank. One says to the other, "Do you know how to drive this thing?"
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #17
Christmas is among the gayest days of the year - in the older sense of the word - which is what makes it clever.

Christ, you people are literal-minded.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
I propose a complete hijack of the topic at hand spurred by Thuryl's post. Actually, by two words in it: "a historical."

Often, the words "an historical" are used. Why? I've never been able to figure it out. Is it because H is considered such a non-sound that it doesn't mask the consonant? You'd never say "an happy guy," would you?

—Alorael, who is confused, and who chooses to share his confusion by spontaneous topic change.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #19
These days, it seems everybody is literal-minded. I tend to interpret words using the current meaning, not the past meanings.

Edit: Alorael's post beat mine.
*hands Alorael a Glock to hijack the topic with*

That is confusing, but then again, English is a confusing language. Awesome (some awe) is good while awful (full of awe) is bad. The plural of goose is geese, so shouldn't the plural of moose be meese?

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 18:43: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #20
Oh, that's brilliant. So what connection to Christmas did you see in the current meaning of 'gay', exactly?

quote:
Originally written by Root negative i squared:

Often, the words "an historical" are used. Why? I've never been able to figure it out. Is it because H is considered such a non-sound that it doesn't mask the consonant? You'd never say "an happy guy," would you?
It's a relatively odd Britticism which probably stems from a close relationship to French, where h is silent and treated as a vowel.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 18:40: Message edited by: Belisarius ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #21
Like I said, I interpret words with their current meaning. I assumed he just didn't like Christmas.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Root negative i squared:

It was once considered correct style to treat words starting with H as if they started with a vowel for purposes of the a/an distinction. This was presumably some kind of upperclass affectation.

Yes, this means that at one point people would have said "an happy guy". Well, except that they probably didn't refer to people as "guys" back then.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #23
The reason, I believe, is that many words that start with h start with a silent h, such as honest, which is pronounced "onnest". Because the a/an distinction serves to make words that begin with vowels easier to pronounce, it would make sense that words that are pronounced as though they begin with vowels be treated like they do.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #24
1. Irrespective is indeed a word. Problem is, E-kun, that you used it so poorly that your having made it up was a very reasonable conclusion.

2. "Gay as christmas"-- this is clearly a sign of religious persecution!!
Please- it's hardly the worst pun that could come of a christian holiday, but your defensive reactions invite worse. I mean, people could go around saying "superfluous as easter" or "racist as thanksgiving". But I don't.
...yet.

3. Way to go, guys. Belisarius broke a commandment (ie, taking the lord's name in vain), and you ignore it, deigning instead to claim (once and for all) that christmas isn't a ritual of queers? gj

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages