This is getting old.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: This is getting old.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #25
If you notice, it is. But the property is not very obvious. 6666, on the other hand, just screams "EVOL!"

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #26
Well, I guess your are right. That shut me down...

[ Monday, October 17, 2005 23:09: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #27
Wow - 48 for me last month! It appears law school really is taking its toll.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #28
I think my plan to be more active isn't about topping everyone else and getting to the first place. I know I'm not that much of a poster and never been. I only want to beat a certain person, and that shouldn't be too hard, because he's not that near the top. If only you people talked about something interesting.

I'd love to share my opinion on things (and raise my post count), but the topics always start so dull and uninteresting. And later when the direction of the talk takes a change into something more worthwhile, I don't know about it, because I haven't been reading the topic in the first place. When I finally take a look at the topic because I'm bored, I notice I missed an excellent chance for some .. pondering and all that.

That's why I post so little. Even though I claim to read topics and to be a lurker, I really am not that much. Huh. But still.. the subjects of topics often are rather uninteresting, I stand by that. So it's not my fault I have to lurk and be quiet.

Also, that's one today, and not so very spammy, because that's something I've wanted to say for a while. Although I probably have said it at times before. I forget. :\

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #29
I'm still second? Hmmm Better make that first next time. Oh well. Twice second in a row. That's good, isn't it?

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #30
That depends on your definition of "good".

And if you don't like the topics, Riibu, you could make some of your own. :P

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #31
Or you could leap upon existing topics, beat them into submission, and drag them wherever you want them to go. That's what most of us do.

—Alorael, who has found that adding, "I know this is a little off topic, but..." to the beginning can work wonders.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #32
quote:
"I know this is a little off topic, but..."
Any chance of finding out how many
1. New topics were added to each forum
2. Topics were replied too (not just new ones)
3. Topics were locked, sorted by mod (giving thuryl another #1 spot here)
4. How many new topics were replied to with the phrase "This was discussed recently, look here."
5. Cardinals does it take to win a World Series.

*this message sponsored by the spammies*
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #33
But Alex, I can't. I promised myself to wait until I'm ready for that. I've not yet started a single topic in general. I plan to, eventually, but it will be for a special occasion. Something akin to what TM has, but not exactly because I do it in my own way. Anyway, that's a long way off, still. Moniker changes will be a part of it, but it will cover all those topics which I'm not going to make, ever, for example post count milestones. "I reached 1000 posts? Feh."

Also, Alo, I'm too polite for that. Anyway, I'm still sort of afraid of posting and more or less accidentally changing the topic or something else, because I still tend to think of these forums the way they were when I was new. And then get disappointed because they're not. I miss those bad old days. :\

EDIT: That's it. I need to rant some.

About post count topics. I mean they're like a celebratory topic for a single post, which somehow made the poster special.

Poster: "Look at me, I posted! I am significant!"

Everyone else: "Yes, you are! Way to go, make one more! C'mon! :) "

Poster: "Lookie, I posted more! Man, I am so the best member here ever!"

Everyone else:" Yes you are! You're the bestest ever, really! Congratulations for your post! We appreciate you!"

What are you people, blind and stupid? The cause for the 'significant' post count was one single post. Post counts change. There's no need to celebrate one post, because you have to admit: that's just spam and nothing else. And you do acknowledge it! "I know this is spam, but I just posted my 100th post, yay me!" And you let it slide like nothing.

And those newbie topics. I mean, they post something about themselves and expect to be loved and all that, but honestly. Most often these are people we've never heard from before and never seen to do anything useful, and yet.. you love them. You don't know them! They could turn out to be complete idiots and useless spammers, but you'll just welcome them here, because gosh darn, that's the nice thing to do.

The nice.. Back when I joined there wasn't so much n00bnonsense being tolerated. It got nuked down hard enough, unless it was amusing, in which case we'd allow it, but the probability of locking was always behind there. Nowadays it's just that everyone's gotta be given an equal chance and all sorts of crap.

Not that some people don't try to bring back some of the old charm, but with no one else complying, it just makes them seem kind of pathetic. I mean, everyone will look at that offending post and think "We don't that anymore", in a condescending way. Some mod will come along getting all authoritative, except they're not, shaking in the Big Boots and saying "Now, if you can't behave, you're going out, you hear? Now, I'm not going to repeat this again, so you just listen and be nice, okay?" So scared!

All we need now is to turn those spiders from the logo into smiling suns, and the transformation to boring will be complete. Also, the motto will be
Turn that frown
upside down!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
A perfect new Tim for you. Eevryone will have that in their signature and all members will slowly descend into vaguely smiling zombies. Everyone will be happy then, right? You even have that plan as the welcome. Lobotomy...

My god, it's already happening. I uncovered a conspiracy. O_o

[ Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:45: Message edited by: Taiteilijasielu ]

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #34
SEVENTY-SECOND! SCORE!

*Ahem* Uh yeah, sorry about that. Um, keep up the nice work.

I like statistics.

...carry on.

--------------------
Your training was extensive...
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Taiteilijasielu:

<snip>
Generally, the point of a milestone topic is to celebrate the posts as a whole, not the 1000th or such. So that entire rant is for nothing. :P

--------------------
I HAVE LOCATED MY CAPS LOCK KEY AND FEEL YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT!
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #36
I'm amazed by finding out that I knew that. It's still redundant if you ask me.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #37
Maybe we should celebrate first posts only. That's where the zombification begins, but it only really seems to set in when sarcastic replies to rants about the good ole days show up. My zombie side tells me that you should just behave, but the rest of me says you need to start creating topics (but not polls) until one sticks. You'll figure it out though.

*this message sponsored by trepan.com*
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

How did I get first place this month? It certainly didn't feel as if I'd been posting actively. ....
:P By spamming with Sailor Moons maybe?

to Riibu: yeah, down with the average harmlessness, keep up the rants.
I can understand your apprehension completely. It's hard to see how SW boards are turned into mediocrity. But yet I don't see it so hopeless. There still are a lot of interesting people, and even TM came back. You could just pluck up your courage and post before pondering about spam or not spam. Like everybody else ^_^

Salmon, I like the idea of topic statistics.

And the most important: Thank you for the unflagging feeding of our vain spammer-souls, Aran @>->--

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #39
Riibu, you're missing the point. 1000 is special in our base 10 number system because it is the first number that requires 4 digits to express. Therefore, it makes a good and somewhat hard-to-attain universal goal in post count, and anyone who can achieve it has at least some level of devotion to keeping the message boards alive and therefore are justified on posting a topic upon reaching that goal that gives everyone the opportunity to give them what congratulations they may deserve.

Not to mention a free and easy post for the rest of us.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #40
I didn't bother with the above. 1000 posts or one million I don't really care. Well maybe if one of us hits 1,000,000 I'll get excited.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #41
^^^^

Please explain to people that you haven't issued a challenge.

*this message sponsored by the mercy corp*
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #42
47. Rising rapidly. Fine by me, although I wish I had time to post more... lurking doesn't quite suit me...

EDIT: You know we're in sad shape when we depend on TM for our entertainment...

[ Tuesday, October 18, 2005 19:36: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #43
No, it's a challenge. Make 1,000,000 posts and receive a hero cookie.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 5555
Profile #44
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

quote:
"I know this is a little off topic, but..."
Any chance of finding out how many
1. New topics were added to each forum
2. Topics were replied too (not just new ones)
3. Topics were locked, sorted by mod (giving thuryl another #1 spot here)
4. How many new topics were replied to with the phrase "This was discussed recently, look here."
5. Cardinals does it take to win a World Series.

*this message sponsored by the spammies*

1. I've got a script that does this for General. I've never bothered to extend it to the other boards, although that would be a matter of an hour or so. The posts of General are also being tracked hourly.

2. Less practical, but possible in principle. You'd want to find all the topics on the forum page and see when the last post was made for each. If you only need a cut-off date as in "the last x days", then the simple parameter "DaysPrune=x" in the address will suffice. A script could see how many topics are displayed on the page then.

3. I believe you can count locked topics, and you can see the last post on a locked topic. Since most topics are locked with an explanatory post, the last post date tends to be the lock date. It would be easy to collect that information. Since locked topics stay around and are rarely opened again, this information could even be collected retroactively for the last year.

4. Takes a lot more time than the others. And it could only search for the exact phrase; any typoes or other variations are practically impossible unless you do it manually.

5. Are you referring to the "World Series" of a sport that is played in more than one nation?

[ Tuesday, October 18, 2005 20:18: Message edited by: lightningmaster2016 ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #45
Well, sorta, but it was more of a trick question. Because (and there is no surer way than this for them to get to the WS) there is not a chance they could win. In baseball. And they only invite North American teams because they are afraid of the mad skills of the Japanese and Central Americans. Not so worried about the EU.

Good news on the scripts, I expect to see updated info on all the historical spammies threads posthaste. Chop chop. Or whenever's good for you.

Thanks Aran

*this message sponsored by mlb*
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #46
#48.. I had actually thought that I'd been more active, this month, than last month, but I've managed to drop three places. Oh well. With all the copious free time that college has provided, I'm sure I'll rectify that. Top ten, here I come, for no reason. :P

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #47
42 posts in the last five days. I iz de sPammeR.

*this message cosponsored by ben & spring*
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #48
42 in 5 days ??damn it took me a month just to get 50

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #49
On the topic of weird stats, we appear to have hit member #6400. That seems significant, I don't know why. Account #6400's name is Kenny, so I get the feeling that something bad will happen to them... maybe they'll explode like MM did.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.

Pages