iCome, iSpam, iWin

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: iCome, iSpam, iWin
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #75
Oh my whatever......................

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #76
Comparing the corn to what, Djur?

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #77
EDIT: Sorry. Redundant again.

[ Saturday, September 24, 2005 21:37: Message edited by: Johnno ]

--------------------

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by WST ben:

I s'pose it's all done with a PHP script and a MySQL database that pretty much runs itself. The ideal date for the statistics release each month is the 17th, but the actual date depends on Aran's degree of business.
Actually, the MySQL database has only been used the last two times, since I only learned to handle one in July. Before that, it was a comma separated text file, which is nasty.

And the script may run by itself (within at most 3 hours), but calculating the statistics takes just as long, and is manual work. Which explains why I can only do it when I'm not busy.

Indeed, Djur, it is a mindbogglingly redundant and unnecessary thing to count or calculate, but so far it's been my best exercise for MySQL and PHP yet. If I remember correctly, you don't think much of PHP, but it is still useful.

Edit:

IMAGE(http://burschka.de/arancaytar/spyderweb3/spidtab.php?t=48)

[ Sunday, September 25, 2005 08:50: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #79
Interesting. I can't see the point of it, though. You actually done that?

--------------------

Polaris
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #80
He done did it indeedy-doody!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #81
Hm... I think I see the pattern. The rate of posting appears to be increasing. Possible reasons:

-When stats get released, everyone wants to post more.
-We have a new/returned troll (perhaps even because of the above point).
-The RP is rolling again (unlikely).

Of course, I'm no statistician. It could just be random.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #82
Not a new troll, a returned troll. I suspect that is the reason.

--------------------

Polaris
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #83
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

-When stats get released, everyone wants to post more.
-We have a new/returned troll (perhaps even because of the above point).
-The RP is rolling again (unlikely).

-The graph measures the increase in posts rather than new posts over time.

Or was I mistaken and you meant the last few plots?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #84
Yeah, I meant the last few plots. Look at how the slope changes.

And another reason for more posts, at least for me: I really don't want to do homework right now.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #85
I iz done my homework. :D

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #86
*Sighs*

You're all drunk.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #87
quote:
Originally written by Johnno:

Not a new troll, a returned troll.
This should not surprise us. Trolls are known to be especially primitive and crude beasts. They frequently wander habitually back to familiar places over and over no matter how much punishment this invites. Scientists theorize that this is because trolls become disoriented and insecure when confronted with new and unfamiliar situations. Should you attract the dull attention of one of these clumsy brutes, it can be readily distracted by shiny objects, as long as you don't wave them about too quickly. The most mysterious, and seemingly magical quality of the troll is that by ignoring one, it is possible to make one disappear forever.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled deprogramming.

[ Sunday, September 25, 2005 18:28: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #88
grarrrrr....dat darn double-post

[ Sunday, September 25, 2005 18:28: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #89
quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

quote:
Originally written by Johnno:

Not a new troll, a returned troll.
This should not surprise us. Trolls are known to be especially primitive and crude beasts. They frequently wander habitually back to familiar places over and over no matter how much punishment this invites. Scientists theorize that this is because trolls become disoriented and insecure when confronted with new and unfamiliar situations. Should you attract the dull attention of one of these clumsy brutes, it can be readily distracted by shiny objects, as long as you don't wave them about too quickly. The most mysterious, and seemingly magical quality of the troll is that by ignoring one, it is possible to make one disappear forever.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled deprogramming.

*gags on laughter* Show him. :cool:

And yes, I made the picture, and yes, it is a dynamic graph that is automatically updated. Right now, however, my site is down, which means you probably can't see it.

Edit: And I don't foresee when it will be up again either. The server is fine but appears to have a monstrous lag. Looks almost like a denial of service attack, but I doubt anyone hates me badly enough to do that.

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 01:45: Message edited by: Aran-something. ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #90
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Looks almost like a denial of service attack, but I doubt anyone hates me badly enough to do that.
*Whilstles innocently, whilst twiddling thumbs* :P

I'm in a good mood, so watch out...

I think what draws people to post is the chance to see their name in print. The thrill of having your posting habits discussed all over the boards. The excitement, nay, ECSTACY, of realising that you are in fact, posting more rubbish this month than all those other guys. The perverse satisfaction that you, despite only arriving two months ago, now have a post-count so high, it makes your nose bleed to look at it. And finally, the warm feeling inside you, that when you go to bed, makes you sure that you have spouted enough nonesense today.

So, Aran, I am really stupid, but MySQL... what else can it do? I'm not a big databse nut, but it'd be handy to reference my library with one. (Think over 1000 books.) Unless there's an easier way?

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #91
It stores data in various tables in an organized way and can be accessed directly or though a variety of outside applications, including PHP. And I think that's about it.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #92
On what makes us post.
We feel the urge to express ourselves and to leave a trace on this world.
We want to put this very moment to some use.
What better use can there be than to strive for recognition that we are thinking and feeling individuals.
So the very idea that the "quality of a post" is to be assessed by the readers is an error. The quality of a post lies in the feeling that results in the writer.

This explains, BTW, why the posts appears as so much rubbish to the readers. The rubbish is not perceived as such when we write about our lone deep insights.

There is this feeling of frustration, however, that we make such an effort to post and get so little recognition in return. Maybe our effort appears as rubbish to the other readers as well?
This is a horrible thought. What can we do to avoid this?

Imho, the "problem" lies in the traits of the community. It is so much like a family with a patriarch imposing minimal CoC, which makes us feel so ok and so much "belonging here".
At the same time it ignores the complex plans in our complicated real lifes like a *rumblings that are not fit to print because they would just distract*. It is addictive and replaces real life experience like a virus.
When we post, it feels like slipping back into an uterus and escape from the world.

As an emergency procedure to prevent us from killing ourselves this is quite ok.
However the longterm social healing is simply not achieved here.
The post count measures more of a severity of the disease: "r/l social impairment". To mistake it as a measure of our contribution to the community and our right to expect recognition in return is a key symptom of the disease - not a measure of reachieved sanity.

I wish you the strength to move on in your life. Do not post here unless it is absolutely necessary. Go somewhere were you can develop a vision for your life, like a r/l community. That will make you feel well.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #93
I'm not sure what you think isn't real about this community. We're all real people (allegations of certain members being Turing machines notwithstanding) who are really communicating with each other.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #94
Doctor, what are you hoping to accomplish? Are you trying to get everyone to stop posting? The way it sounds now, it's like a half-hearted trolling attempt.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #95
Maybe he wants us all to pack up and move to Polaris...goodness knows its a little slow around there. :P

--------------------

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #96
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Oh my whatever......................

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #97
VCH, stop spamming.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #98
Speaking of spamming, has anybody else noticed the sudden surge in locked topics in General? Could it be a poorly-veiled attempt to boost postcounts?

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #99
Hey I thought my comment was perfectly attune to the previous posts.

[ Tuesday, September 27, 2005 18:04: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style

Pages