Good Books 1885-1950

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Good Books 1885-1950
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #0
For a class reading project I must choose a book from the time period of 1835 to 1950 to read. I have Notre-Dame De Paris (The Hunchback of Notre-Dame), but this book is before even this time period, though my teacher said he might still accept it.

To make a long story short, I need other ideas for books in case he does not accept the one I have. Any good ideas from the good people of Spiderweb boards? (I enjoy many types of books, so any ideas are welcome.)

P.S. No Tolkien, or however his name is spelled.

EDIT: 1835-1950

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 05:30: Message edited by: Commodore Redmark ]

--------------------
Part of me wants to say, "Well, it's good enough for me, and it's my damn scenario," but another part of me sort of wants to hold back. I've settled on this compromise. -Kelandon
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #1
The Conan books were written in the thirthies by Robert E. Howard, very nice books.

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #2
You have to be a bit more specific on what type of books you want to read. Does it have to be short or can it be long?

I'll recomend you my favorite book: La Dame aux Camelias (Camille in the english version) By Alexandre Dumas. I loved it because it was a true story, and though it was sad it was def worth reading. I would give you more details of it, but I would get to ruin you the ending. If you decide to read it of course
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #3
Does Bram Stoker's "Dracula" fall under that time period? That's a good classic to read.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #4
Well, what grade level are you? Such a huge number of books were written in those years; you'd need to give a little more information about what kind of book you're looking for before you can receive helpful suggestions.

That said, the first book that came to mind when I read 1950 as your limit was 1984, by George Orwell, written in 1948.

Edit: Actually I think it was written in '47 and published in '48. Whatever.

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 13:43: Message edited by: wz. arsenic... ]

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #5
McTeague by Frank Norris (1899). It's a fascinating study on the power of greed and how it can corrupt even wholesome people.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
I Am Legend came to mind for me, but it's 1954. The Hobbit was the second, but you said no Tolkien. The Hobbit is the only one of his books in the right period anyway. The Worm Ouroboros is in there as well (1922), and that's well worth a read.

If you like Victor Hugo, Les Misérables is in the right timeframe (1862).

—Alorael, who would like a genre befeore he starts spouting more books.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #7
One doubt: it's the book that must be from that period, or it's story?

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #8
I'm in 10th grade english, but don't worry, reading is what I do most of my free time. I'm a fast reader, so length is not a problem (the book must be at least 200 pages.) I enjoy many types of books, though mystery is what I really enjoy.

To clarify the time period, the book itself must have been published during the period of 1835-1950. Again, my teacher is might go a little bit before that, but I need other ideas just to be sure.

*I made a mistake in my first post, its 1835-1950, not 1882-1950. Sorry.*

--------------------
Part of me wants to say, "Well, it's good enough for me, and it's my damn scenario," but another part of me sort of wants to hold back. I've settled on this compromise. -Kelandon
Warrior
Member # 2796
Profile #9
Hi,
Here is information that you may be interested in:

Referrances:

1. Chapters to read on line :
Park, Jane. "BookRags Book Notes on The Good Earth." BookRags. Retrieved 3 September
2005, from the World Wide Web. http://www.bookrags.com/notes/ge

2. Short Book Description from http://www.amazon.com :

Pearl S. Buck's epic Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of a China that was:
Though more than sixty years have passed since this remarkable novel won the Pulitzer
Prize, it has retained its popularity and become one of the great modern classics. "I
can only write what I know, and I know nothing but China, having always lived there,"
wrote Pearl Buck. In The Good Earth she presents a graphic view of a China when the
last emperor reigned and the vast political and social upheavals of the twentieth
century were but distant rumblings for the ordinary people. This moving, classic story
of the honest farmer Wang Lung and his selfless wife O-lan is must reading for those
who would fully appreciate the sweeping changes that have occurred in the lives of
the Chinese people during this century.

Paperback: 416 pages

Hope this helps.
gcmaxxon

--------------------
quote:
" He loved maps, and in his hall there hung a large one of the
Country Round with all his favourite walks marked on it in red ink."
---The Hobbit
pg21

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
I'd recommend 1984 by Orwell, and Brave New World by Huxley. I had to do a similar assignment, and choose those two for their views on distopias.

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 07:42: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #11
What about anything by Jules Verne?

Mind you, the requirement that they be at least 200 pages strikes me as a bit odd. For example, 'From the Earth to the Moon' just makes it at 208 pages for an edition I found on Amazon. When you had to hand write your manuscript people were a little more sparing with the words.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Skippy the bush kangaroo:

When you had to hand write your manuscript people were a little more sparing with the words.
Really? Jeez, I didn't know Herodotus, Thomas Hardy, Alexandre Dumas, Charles Dickens, and Leo Tolstoy used electric typewriters...

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

Really? Jeez, I didn't know Herodotus, Thomas Hardy, Alexandre Dumas, Charles Dickens, and Leo Tolstoy used electric typewriters...
I retract and, in fact, reverse my assesment. When people had to hand write their manuscripts they seemingly knew no bounds .
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
Anything by Hawthorne or Poe , although Poe may not satisfy your length requirement. Both are dark authors, who portray human guilt through dramatic imagery. Not my favorites, but quite appropriate for someone in 10th grade.

*this message sponsored by the letter A*
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Lovecraft. Iä! Iä!

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #16
Thomas Hardy, The Return of the Native

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #17
Thanks for all the suggestions, but my teacher let me read The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, which is what I really wanted to read in the first place.

Again, thanks for all the help!

--------------------