The one calculator

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The one calculator
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I got a new calculator. And I'm so proud of it! Its mainly that you can program all kinds of things on it, that appeals to me. I'm now working on a program which asks for a value of C, after that asks a value of X, and then generates some incredibly useless and stupid sentence like: Buy more chicken. isn't that nice?

Anyway, i'm talking about a TI 84 graphic calculator. Does anybody else here have such a thing?

And indeed, I probably don't have a life. :P

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #1
Most of the people I know, and I'm sure many others use TI 84 calculators. I myself have a Casio...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #2
I have a TI-83+ Silver Edition. And yes, they're really cool. I have a program to convert from Decimal to any numbering system, and a program to do the opposite. I also wrote a text-based fighting program (well, actually it spans several programs due to limited program size).

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
I don't much like what I've heard about the Ti-84; if I remember correctly the interface resembles that of the 83, not the 86. I use an old 85 myself.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Most of the people I know, and I'm sure many others use TI 84 calculators. I myself have a Casio...
You are like a clone of me...
At least on that part.

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #5
When I saw this topic I couldn't help myself from thinking "One calculator to rule them all, one calculator to find them, one calculator to bring them all and in the darkness bind them." :D I have a TI-83+. *loves graphing calculators*

--------------------
A C, an E flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin runs up to them and says, "Hey, look! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #6
Aren't Casio's like $60 cheaper the TI graphing calculators?

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

Aren't Casio's like $60 cheaper the TI graphing calculators?
That I don't know. I only know i heard of multiple people that Texas instruments is the best calculator brand (and I need it for school).

I'm glad to announce about one third of the program Im making works fine. The other two thirds are still under construction.

One calculator to rule them all. Very good. I already thought somebody would say that. It was my intention to get that effect when writing the topic title. It worked then! :)

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #8
The title didn't make me think of LotR. It reminded me of The Matrix.

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 04:54: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
quote:

What program are you writing?
I mentioned it in the first post in this topic. Its a program which is really useless. This is what's behind it.

Basically, the program is cut in three. You start by choosing a value of C, standing for Choice. if C=3, it goes to a subprogram named game2. this is the only completed part of the program. What it does, it first asks you to enter a value for X, and then looks what X corresponds to that. If you give a X-value under 10, it searches for the a IF-sentence that's true. So if you type, say, 8, it searches for the code "If X=8." When it found that, it looks at the thing that comes after that, which is a very supid useless sentence. Something like:

"Buy more chicken. isn't that nice?"

Or:

"What's your weight?"

It asks for your weight:

"My weight is:" After that, if the weight is over 90, is says "fatass" otherwise it says "you have the perfect weight.

These are just two of the ten examples. maybe I could eventually translate the prgram to English... Or maybe not. I'll see.

BTW, I'm also thinking about making a program with which you can have a complete conversation with your calculator, but that will be a VERY long program to make.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
"My weight is:" After that, if the weight is over 90, is says "fatass" otherwise it says "you have the perfect weight.
is that in pounds or kilograms? Because 90 pounds isn't heavy at all. I'm almost 200 pounds and I'm not "oversized," though, that may have something to do with my height (like 6ft).

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
that is in kilograms. If it where in pounds, it indeed wouldn't be heavy, but as i live in europe, we use the kg's

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #12
quote:

quote:
is that in pounds or kilograms? Because 90 pounds isn't heavy at all. I'm almost 200 pounds and I'm not "oversized," though, that may have something to do with my height (like 6ft).

1 pound = 0.4535924 Kg

So you're around 90Kg.

I guess 6 feet equals to around 1,83m (curiously, my height).

I weight around 80 Kg (176 pounds), the perfect weight would be 75 Kg (165 pounds).

Moral of the story: you have a normal weight, but very close to excessive weight (and still far from obese types I, II and III).

Of course, the math behind these calculations don't have in consideration the difference between a muscular and a fat 90Kg. Muscles are heavier than fat, btw. So you could have not an ounce of fat in your body, but still have that "fatass" score. ;)

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #13
200 pounds is an aproximation. It's like 170-200 pounds, depending on the time of year.
But anyways, you should translate the program to English and make it available for download.

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 06:27: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

200 pounds is an aproximation. It's like 170-200 pounds, depending on the time of year.
But anyways, you should translate the program to English and make it available for download.

Do you really think so? :) That makes me feel happy, as if I make the program with a goal.

I'll translate it all right, but I'll do that when its finished.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #15
In the meantime, I posted my Text Battling program on an Angelfire page. Click the word 'get' in my sig to go to the page. It *should* work on a TI-84

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 06:35: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #16
quote:

In the meantime, I posted my Text Battling program on an Angelfire page. Click the word 'get' in my sig to go to the page. It *should* work on a TI-84
I couldn't download it. When I clicked on it, you got that 404 error. When I right-clicked on it and chose save as..., it couldn't save it.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #17
Ok, I fixed the link. Not only did I mis-type the URL for the link, but apparently the html tag for a link is also case-sensitive.

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 06:44: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #18
Ti calculators the earlier you get them in high school the easier things will be. "Remember that formula" "Yea whatever I'll just make a program" ;)

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #19
Yes, way easier to program the calculator to do it for you. I used it in all my math classes, my physics class, my computer classes, and my electronics class.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #20
When I was in high school, just about every student had a TI graphing calculator, usually TI-83 Plus. It was pretty much a necessity, especially when you're taking classes involving a lot of complex math. (physics, calculus, etc...) Like most people, I just download equation programs from some friends who were math freaks. (using that link up) Made calculus so much easier...

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #21
Programs are good. =D Except that on certain tests the teacher people make sure you clear your calculator's whole memory and come around to see that everyone has done it. Gah. I had this program someone in my Precalc class made that would tell you how many digits were in the repeating string of a repeating decimal, but thanks to the Math B Exam rules 'twas lost. *sob*
And yay LotR! I was also thinking "I am the Dark Lord of Mordor, and I have forged the One Calculator to RULE THEM ALL!!" like in that Legendary Frog parody. ^_^

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 14:36: Message edited by: The Dark Lord of the Slith ]

--------------------
A C, an E flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin runs up to them and says, "Hey, look! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #22
My brother has a TI-83 calculator for his maths at school. I have just a basic one, but I am happy with it. I don't need a different one.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #23
If you want something which will force you to understand the math you are doing, get a Casio. If you simply want something that you can plug in and get the right answers get a TI.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by The Dark Lord of the Slith:

Programs are good. =D Except that on certain tests the teacher people make sure you clear your calculator's whole memory and come around to see that everyone has done it. Gah. I had this program someone in my Precalc class made that would tell you how many digits were in the repeating string of a repeating decimal, but thanks to the Math B Exam rules 'twas lost. *sob*
And yay LotR! I was also thinking "I am the Dark Lord of Mordor, and I have forged the One Calculator to RULE THEM ALL!!" like in that Legendary Frog parody. ^_^

Now that is mean.

Man, I never knew you could program with graphic calculators. My math teacher has a bunch of TI-82s, and they're pretty cool because of the ability to pass 'notes' and whatnot, but neat.

And according to Overwhelming, I am of the perfect weight.

*feels he learned something today*

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages