Favourite Compliment

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Favourite Compliment
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

And you've never missed? ;)
Very rarely.

But then, I was generally the one holding the spotlight. :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #51
On Topic: I would be very suspicious if a stranger paid me a compliment. As explained in the embarassing moment thread, 'Nice shirt.' implies someting more devious just as in fifth grade 'Nice pants.' meant your zipper's down but I'm just gonna laugh at you instead of tell you. Most adults do mature but my first instinct would still be, 'What's wrong?'.

Just having someone say 'Hello' here would be good enough since the city culture is kind of closed.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #52
quote:

It's not like they're going to go out and shoot somebody. :P
Why not? The only thing keeping me from shooting people is my desire to stay out of prison. You remember the insane traffic on the Sunset Highway as you drove from Portland to the coast? Try doing that in rush hour, after having to change because you spilled coffee on yourself while calming the raging dogs, so now you're late.

It's the fear of prison that keeps me from reaching for the pistol. That, and with only five rounds I would need to reload while driving, which I believe would make me an unsafe gun owner.

*this message sponsored by *%@%^$#@$ Drivers Magazine*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #53
It would make you more of an unsafe driver than gun-owner.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

It would make you more of an unsafe driver than gun-owner.
Technically, since he owns a gun, he is an unsafe gun-owner too.

I have never held a gun, nor do I want to.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

I know a shop, just five minutes walk of my house, where you can get the worlds most dangerous chamicals, like sulferacid and the like. I bought some myself too. :P
Why would you do that? Is having the world's most dangerous chemicals in your bathroom cabinet appealing to you in someway? To me, the thought of wildly grabbing some sulphuric acid whilst looking for some aspirin doesn't make my smile. Unless it's in a comedy film starring Ben Stiller. Then it's acceptable.

My favourite compliment to say was "you're beautiful". Then came the court order...

Why? because I like to experiment, and see all the chemical reactions. its really nice to see a chemical turn green upon adding something else, and then hearing this nice bubbling sound. And no. they of course don't stand in my bathroom cabinet, but on a special iron table, under a window, next to a water hose.

And my view on guns is, I think, about that of Supanik's. i didn't have a gun, and I don't want a gun.

[ Sunday, September 04, 2005 08:49: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #56
I don't see why people are apposed to guns. As some famous guy said "Guns don't kill people. People kill people". As long as you arn't intending to kill someone else there is nothing wrong with them.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #57
Me and a mate of mine go shooting a lot, its not that bad. We use a .22 rifle and we get a lot of animals, rabbits, foxes, birds...its great.

--------------------

Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #58
If the sale of guns would be forbidden, guns would obviously be unnecessary to defend yourself against guns.

Besides, few people, if any at all, will constantly hold a gun in their hands and have the reflexes to successfully defend anyone from attackers.

quote:
Originally written by Spring:

Me and a mate of mine go shooting a lot, its not that bad. We use a .22 rifle and we get a lot of animals, rabbits, foxes, birds...its great.
Interestingly, killing a demented human is considered a crime, while causing animals, even the most intelligent and long-lived kinds, to die a slow and painful death without any purpose is considered an innocent deed.

quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

As long as you arn't intending to kill someone else there is nothing wrong with them.
And you expect that no-one does?

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 06:47: Message edited by: Egregious ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #59
Well, if you're not planning to kill anyone, why have one?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

I don't see why people are apposed to guns. As some famous guy said "Guns don't kill people. People kill people". As long as you arn't intending to kill someone else there is nothing wrong with them.
The flaw: People might kill people, but guns sure make it easier. Also, it is very easy to kill with a gun without intending to. Both oneself, and others.

Edit: It might be off-topic, but a debate about gun control is at least as interesting as discussions on compliments.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 02:05: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #61
I am not against guns. Heck, I think that sometimes, being able to defend yourself is a good thing, no matter what you use.

I don't like guns because of the power it would place in my hands. And I might be tempted to try it out. I just don't see the point though. And besides, I live in a nice area. I'm never gonna need to defend myself.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

quote:

It's not like they're going to go out and shoot somebody. :P
Why not? The only thing keeping me from shooting people is my desire to stay out of prison. You remember the insane traffic on the Sunset Highway as you drove from Portland to the coast? Try doing that in rush hour, after having to change because you spilled coffee on yourself while calming the raging dogs, so now you're late.

It's the fear of prison that keeps me from reaching for the pistol. That, and with only five rounds I would need to reload while driving, which I believe would make me an unsafe gun owner.

*this message sponsored by *%@%^$#@$ Drivers Magazine*

Nah, didn't so from Porland to the coast. I stayed down in west-central Oregon and went to the coast at Newport. We just swung around Portland on Interstate 205 and went south. But I see that the traffic is there anyway.

Innocent animals are being killed every day slowly and painfully by heartless hunters and ruthless gun-slingers. Why must we sacrifice these lives for meat? Let's all be herbivoric vegetarians. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #63
Well, at least animals in meat farms are killed painlessly.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #64
If cattle weren't domesticated for their meat, they would nearly be extinct. It's better for them to live a relatively short live and die painlessly, than to not live at all.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #65
Cows would still be domesticated for their milk, and milch cows often live rather uncomfortable lives.

—Alorael, who is quite sure that there would still be cows even if the entire first world decided to stop consuming cow and cow products.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
Originally written by Egregious:

[QUOTE]Originally written by Spring:
[qb]Me and a mate of mine go shooting a lot, its not that bad. We use a .22 rifle and we get a lot of animals, rabbits, foxes, birds...its great.

Interestingly, killing a demented human is considered a crime, while causing animals, even the most intelligent and long-lived kinds, to die a slow and painful death without any purpose is considered an innocent deed.

No, its not. At least, not where I live. Why would they make a sport out of it if it was illegal?

They do not die a 'slow and painful death,' they get a .22 bullet to the head. Instant.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 21:24: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written by Chivo expiatorio of yom:

Cows would still be domesticated for their milk, and milch cows often live rather uncomfortable lives.
Milch cows might, but milk cows (or dairy cows, to be even more precise) get a sweet ride.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #68
quote:

If the sale of guns would be forbidden, guns would obviously be unnecessary to defend yourself against guns.
Because we all know that criminals would never obtain them on the black market.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #69
You are hunting for the meat, right? Because, otherwise you fall into that category of person which glorifies in the ability to kill other creatures. I hunt for food, shoot at crows in the garden, and eat/bury anything I hit. That includes people FYI.

Shooting anything for the pure joy of killing is more than slightly scary to me, and I revel in animal blood.

*this message sponsored by Oxyclean - good for cleaning up those pesky stains*
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #70
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Milch cows might, but milk cows (or dairy cows, to be even more precise) get a sweet ride.
Maybe in Australia that is so, but here in the States the commercial non-organic outfits prefer to have their animals in deep envy of the conditions at Auschwitz.

*this message sponsored by Bessy*
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #71
quote:
Originally written by Chivo expiatorio of yom:

Of course, my point was that they would be very rare if they would not be domesticated for their meat or milk.

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael
Because we all know that criminals would never obtain them on the black market.
The guns sold in the black market would be imported from elsewhere or manufactured by illegal companies. Forbidding to produce them would make it considerably harder for criminals to obtain them.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 22:46: Message edited by: Infantile ]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #72
quote:

You are hunting for the meat, right? Because, otherwise you fall into that category of person which glorifies in the ability to kill other creatures. I hunt for food, shoot at crows in the garden, and eat/bury anything I hit. That includes people FYI.
Or skins. Or because they massacre other animals, specifically the one you make money from.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #73
quote:

The guns sold in the black market would be imported from elsewhere or manufactured by illegal companies. Forbidding to produce them would make it considerably harder for criminals to obtain them.
You're right. After all, drugs are illegal, and harder to obtain, and almost no one buys them anyway.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #74
quote:

Maybe in Australia that is so, but here in the States the commercial non-organic outfits prefer to have their animals in deep envy of the conditions at Auschwitz.

*this message sponsored by Bessy*

You sure that's not just an urban myth? Because I don't understand how you could run a profitable business without making sure your animals stay healthy.

PS. Sorry for the multi-posts, but, you know, can't be bothered cut-and-pasting multiple times.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.

Pages