Favourite Compliment

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Favourite Compliment
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #75
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Maybe in Australia that is so, but here in the States the commercial non-organic outfits prefer to have their animals in deep envy of the conditions at Auschwitz.

*this message sponsored by Bessy*

You sure that's not just an urban myth? Because I don't understand how you could run a profitable business without making sure your animals stay healthy.

PS. Sorry for the multi-posts, but, you know, can't be bothered cut-and-pasting multiple times.

Making sure animals stay healthy enough to be profitable isn't equivalent to making sure they are treated well. A chicken won't necessarily get sick enough to be less productive from living in a box its entire life, but it will definitely suffer.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #76
Well, yes, but we were talking about dairy cows, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. So to speak.

But just for the heck of it, how do you know chickens care about being locked in small cages? Is it just "I wouldn't like it, so they must not"? Or are there indicators?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #77
It's not all that hard to tell that an animal is under stress based on its behaviour.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #78
True. I was just wondering whether the reaction to the chook batteries was fueled by "It's clear that the hens are being stressed by their living conditions" or "Oh my God! They can't move! You monsters!" I mean, I've only heard the second one.

Not arguing that they don't suffer, just playing Devil's Advocate.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #79
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

[QBYou sure that's not just an urban myth? Because I don't understand how you could run a profitable business without making sure your animals stay healthy.[/QB]
Seen it with my own two eyes, and I'm not urban. It is even codified into the USDA and refered to as CAFO. Confined animal feeding operation. The dairies I've been to are smaller, with fewer than 500 cows, and seemed pretty bad by my standards. The industrial dairy farms are worse.

*this message sponsored by the milk board*
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #80
Yes of course we hunt for meat. Unless it's gophers. :P

And yes, most shot animals die quite quick, though one could argue painfully. There's also the possibility of barely missing and wounding it, but we try to avoid that at all costs.

But man, they're just animals. Deer, cows chickens, what have you. I don't each death new beheaded chicken doesn't cause much emotional turmoil. In fact, it's probably a relief if anything. One less to steal the food. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #81
quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

I don't each death new beheaded chicken doesn't cause much emotional turmoil.
See word concept you correct of no have I order.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Seen it with my own two eyes, and I'm not urban. It is even codified into the USDA and refered to as CAFO. Confined animal feeding operation. The dairies I've been to are smaller, with fewer than 500 cows, and seemed pretty bad by my standards. The industrial dairy farms are worse.

*this message sponsored by the milk board*

Did the animals seem distressed by their lack of space?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.

Pages