Avernum 4 Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum 4 Poll
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #0
Ok, everyone has seen the small Avernum 4 preview and commented on it. Some say most of the people here don't like the game; I wouldn't like to think so, as a matter of fact, I think most people like it. Answer this poll and we will soon find out.

[ Saturday, August 27, 2005 03:06: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 6 question(s). 58 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=asYuZcInoTwr"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=asYuZcInoTwr"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Setting. I'm not sure what to make of it - on one hand I'm glad that this way the game won't mess with any "Ermarian" canon, on the other hand I'm disappointed that we know as little about the surface world as ever.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #2
Maybe it's best to leave the surface unknown. Much like Tolkien did with the rest of eastern Middle-Earth. This leaves room to imagination and the creativity of RP and scenario designers.

[ Saturday, August 27, 2005 03:14: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #3
My first thought was indeed that it's a "Geneforge/Avernum bastard child", but that's because I don't have much more than a few screenshots to judge it by. Then again, I like both series (GF and Avernum).

I think it will continue the story from Avernum 3; maybe we get the opportunity to kill the A3 villain.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
I'm dreading the return of Grah Hoth. He was "killed" last time, and Linda managed to bring him back. Now that the Vahnatai and Grah-Hoth have a common enemy in Avernum, I think he might rear his ugly head.

I will buy it though, unless whilst playing the shareware I develop a deadly allergy to it.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #5
I was really disappointed when I saw the screenshots. Seriously, with all the money Jeffs making, he could hire someone to draw some new graphics instead of just using Geneforge ones.

I'm gonna buy A4 just because i played A2 & 3. Never played A1, not sure if I should buy it. Im not sure I can manage all the old school graphics and the ancient interface that has been upgraded with each new game, as well as the spell system, which will probably include all the spells I hate.

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
My first impression was also "An Avernum/Geneforge's bastard child", but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I hope when the game is complete that there will be enough differences between A4 and GF that it won't feel like GF. The plot has some potential; assuming that "The savages and dark creatures of the lower tunnels, once beaten into submission, have returned" will not be a literal reoccurrence of the past plagues. After all, Jeff has reused old plots for new games; Geneforge comes to mind.

It's still too early for me to make many assumptions about how it will be, and it will be interesting to see more screenshots. I will defiantly play the demo, and will very likely buy the game.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Zaiu:

I will defiantly play the demo, and will very likely buy the game.
Hey, no one's telling you not to...

I'm a bit concerned. But ultimately, I don't think it'll be too far from the Avernum series, all boons and banes intact.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by :Slash::
I was really disappointed when I saw the screenshots. Seriously, with all the money Jeffs making, he could hire someone to draw some new graphics instead of just using Geneforge ones.
It would be nice if you could read the other thread where this is talked about ad infinitum. Especially the part about how the graphics are preliminary.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
I was always asking myself who makes these graphics. i always thought the Avernum graphics are really beautiful and with so much detail. Who makes them, Jeff himself, or his wife maybe, or Linda, or maybe some free-lance person?

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
Andrew Hunter.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
Who is he, some free-lance person, or Jeff's family? He can paint. That's for sure.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #12
When I first saw the Avernum 4 screenshots, I was taken aback by the Geneforge graphics. However, this was before I knew that the graphics were so preliminary. I know positively zilch about game design, and was ignorant of the fact that the graphics take the longest to design, so already-made graphics are just plugged in in the interim.

I'm ignorant, I tell you! Ignorant!

I'm very excited that the series is returning to Avernum proper. I've always greatly preferred the underworld to the surface world. It's such a unique and exciting atmosphere and setting—in fact, I liked the Za-Khazi run the best out of the BoA scenarios because it actually took place in Avernum.

I like the place so much that if I were exiled down there, I'd stay there even after an area of the surface world was opened for settlement by Avernites. And it sounds like we're going to explore more of the underworld in A4! Yes! I can't wait!

I know most—if not all—of the character graphics are done by the marvellous Andrew Hunter. I'm not sure about the other graphics, but I suspect they're his work too.

EDIT: Oops. I was composing my reply when Drakefyre answered.

Yes, Hunter is a freelancer. He did the character artwork for Ambrosia's Ferazel's Wand game, as well as a few other games by lesser-known companies. He used to have a nice website at http://www.wormwoodstudios.com/ but it seems to be gone, and I can't find any newer site that he may have put up.

I've emailed him a few times—complimenting his work and asking for high-quality pictures of his startup screens—and he's a really nice guy.

[ Saturday, August 27, 2005 11:01: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #13
While some of the graphics are nice (the start up screens in particular), really, those sliths look awful.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #14
No, undead sound more like the dragons' doing. And by the way, I hope to God that the Geneforge graphics are only the experimental kind, like before he finishes with the grid. The map characters look absolutely horrible!

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #15
When I first saw it, I was shocked. But thenI sloged through reading all 6 pages on Avernum 4, and realised that that was the preliminary view. The storyline looks similar to A3, but then again, A1 & A2 were pretty similar, with the exception of the Vahnatai.

I think I'll wait for it to come out. I'll probably get it to be honest. I have the rest of the series so it's just the next one. Though I really hope to complete Avernum 2 before it comes out.

Oh well, now I just have to wait. I just hope that the inventory pictures will look as good as in the others.

quote:
Never played A1, not sure if I should buy it. Im not sure I can manage all the old school graphics and the ancient interface that has been upgraded with each new game, as well as the spell system, which will probably include all the spells I hate.

:slash:, Avernum 1 is practically identical to Avernum 2. The only real "main" difference I have found are there are no Capture Sould/Simulacrum spells, and you can't use the right-mouse button to search things. And if you've played the others, it really helps your knowledge of Avernum.

And also, it's just nice being a "Knight of Avernum". :D

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
A1 has no quest log and levels are capped at 40. Those are the only real downsides when you compare it mechanically to A2. Even A3 has mostly the same spells, graphics, and interface, although combat numbers got an overhaul. I prefer the A1/A2 system.

Comparing E1 to any other Spiderweb game is very different. E1 has been updated to have E3 graphics, but the spell list is still limited, the sounds are, well, entertaining, and the game is just a bit rough around the edges. At least later versions have had AP added in. Slow was unbelievably painful when it reduced you to getting one action every other round as opposed to one action every round.

—Alorael, who also very much enjoys the presence of some key spells like Divine Warrior. Sure, it's even more abusable than Avatar in the Exiles, but it was fun!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by demonslaeyr:

quote:

I will defiantly play the demo, and will very likely buy the game.
Hey, no one's telling you not to...

I'm a bit concerned. But ultimately, I don't think it'll be too far from the Avernum series, all boons and banes intact.

He will defiantly spell the way he chooses to. :nods sagely:

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #18
She.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Warrior
Member # 37
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

Yes, Hunter is a freelancer. He did the character artwork for Ambrosia's Ferazel's Wand game, as well as a few other games by lesser-known companies.
I KNEW it! I KNEW I recognized that art style from somewhere!

--------------------
{Tempus} jack thompson? ppl actually admire that freak?
{@Fanateeq72802} Not everyone disagrees with him.
{+iris} Someone should send him a few of the more steamy Japanese dating sim games. His head would explode.
{@Fanateeq72802} And I'd laugh. Hard.
{Tempus} im on it. brb
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #20
Nice, isn't it, when such connections are made between isolated memory neurons? :)

To continue the Andrew Hunter discussion, I found a file on my hard drive containing his credits. I apparently saved this information in a text file, but then forgot all about it. It's rather outdated now, but contains all his early work.

This originally appeared on his site at http://www.wormwoodstudios.com/credits.htm

[quote]ANDREW HUNTER

PROJECT CREDITS

Spiderweb Software

* Geneforge
* Avernum
* Avernum2
* Avernum3
* Nethergate
* Exile
* Exile2
* Exile 3
* Blades of Exile
* Subterra
* Ocean Bound

Ambrosia Software

* Ferazel's Wand
* Ragnarok

Fantasoft

* New Centurions
* Realmz
[/quote]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

He will defiantly spell the way he chooses to. :nods sagely:
My misspellings are few and far between. I'm not certain why I overlooked that one though.

Hmm, if no one knows who I am it really is time for a name change.

--------------------
Nena
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #22
quote:

Hmm, if no one knows who I am it really is time for a name change.
Wouldn't that exacerbate the problem?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #23
Well, I was going to try go to back to Dolphin, but it still says it's taken.

[ Tuesday, August 30, 2005 21:56: Message edited by: Zaiu ]

--------------------
Nena