Statistics Keep the Turtles Happy

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Statistics Keep the Turtles Happy
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
After my brief (ahem) absence last month, in spite of what I said in the departing topic, I could not bear to leave out the statistics for a single month.

The system has been updated; for one thing, it collects more data now (most of the optional fields for each profile such as Location, Reg Date, Birthday etc.), for another, it produces two files, one comma separated and one that can be fed into a MySQL database. For now, you won't notice any difference since the statistics are still the same - it just eases my workload.

Short note, which I should have said earlier: When I say "this month", I mean the last thirty or so days since the last count. When I say "August", I actually mean the counting period that ended in August.

-----------------------------------------------

1. 108 new members have passed by the Turtle pit this month; 62 of them have fed the turtles and posted. The other 46, upon removing their sanity, were unable to tell the difference and mistakenly cast themselves into the pit while their sanity wandered on in - didn't you wonder why the mood is so sober lately?

Monthly Overview:
April 2005: 151/87
May 2005: 78/43
June 2005: 147/91
July 2005: 153/88
August 2005: 108/62

2. Meanwhile, our active community has shrunk back to below 300: 293. Of these, 62 are the above mentioned newbies and 231 are the community core.

Monthly Overview:
April 2005: 360 (273)
May 2005: 262 (219)
June 2005: 325 (232)
July 2005: 352 (264)
August 2005: 293 (231)

3. 5917 posts. Another near all-time low, beaten only by May - apparently, the community is most active just after school/college is out and just before people go on vacation. That's 190.9 posts per day, or 20.1 posts per member, or 0.65 per member per day.

Monthly Overview:
April 2005: 7576 | 186 | 21 | 0.47
May 2005: 4723 | 169 | 18 | 0.52
June 2005: 7267 | 251 | 22.4 | 0.77
July 2005: 8691 | 271.6 | 24.7 | 0.77
August 2005: 5917 | 190.9 | 20.1 | 0.65

In other words, less members, less posts per member, and overall the second slowest month since the statistics started.

===========================================

Now, the ranking.

1. ben: 2812. Kelandon: 2263. Drakefyre: 2134. Thuryl: 2095. Marvin/Thralni: 2026. Alorael: 1997. Dolphin: 1948. Spring: 1629. Student of Trinity: 16010. Arancaytar: 153In other words, ben won - even though he, too, posted less than last month. Kelandon came up to second again, past Drakey and Thuryl. Marvin, who joined last month and took off like a rocket, has continued this trend. In spite of claiming I was leaving, I still got in the top ten. O_o
Finally, here are the complete rankings.

And now I'm tired. 'night, all.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- ben
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #1
The full statistics list is a broken link.

Since you are now gathering full account info, are you planning to turn it into a searchable database, complete with list of people's second/third/nth accounts?

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I would be interested to know (if you can collect this info) on which boards my posts were. I wonder if I actually post in General less than most people in the top 10, or if I just delude myself into thinking that.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
Dolphin: Forgot to upload the file. And yes, eventually. But all info that is not in the profiles has to be entered by hand, which will be tedious and long.

Kel: Unfortunately, that's almost impossible. I'd have to make it copy every single thread page on the board, which is a LOT of traffic.
I plan to make a script to do that for the next Pied Piper Project incarnation - it's going to happen some time in the future, no doubt, with the speed that the boards are going.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- ben
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #4
This does not surprise me at all. My goal was to stay in the top ten, so I'm happy. Also, I knew Ben would be in first.

Aran, that was Zeviz :P

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #5
11 to 67 since we started man have I slowed down. Not that I care Im not going to start spamming like I used to or anything.

--------------------
Why are you reading this ?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Aran made the top 10 even though he left when last month's statistics were issued! Amazing!

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #7
Hmmm, #25, must post more! :cool:

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Aran never managed to recross the turtle pit. But he tried. That's the important thing.

—Alorael, who notes that the rankings have gotten much closer (witht he exception of Ben). The entire rest of the top ten is barely more than 70 posts apart, and removing 8, 9, and 10 reduces the difference to 32. Ben, of course, is a crazy outlyer.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #9
Wow...I'm surprised I'm even in the Top 25, #23 to be exact, since I'm posting a little less now and doing more edits...

Edit: Oh wait, those posts were from last month, duh! Are these stats always done monthy?

[ Wednesday, August 17, 2005 18:38: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #10
Thanks, Aran. I love to see where eveyone's at. Keep up the good work and if the top ten is where you'll be while you're gone, then don't worry about coming back, I'm sure we'll all cope just fine with your absence. :P

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Jeros:

Edit: Oh wait, those posts were from last month, duh! Are these stats always done monthy?
Yeah, Aran posts the new statistics on/around the 17th of every month.

--------------------
Nena
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
I could have sworn I read Zaiu there, not Zeviz. See what I mean when I say I am tired? :P

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #13
I guess Zaiu and Zeviz both are short words that start with Z and sound vaguely Russian. But it was still amusing to be confused with Dolphin. :)

EDIT: Why is it time for new name? I like your current one. It has sufficiently large proportion of Zs. :)

PS: Editing in responces to avoid increasing postcount and taking conversation off topic seems appropriate for this thread.

[ Wednesday, August 17, 2005 19:55: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #14
Too similar? Maybe time for a new name?

--------------------
Nena
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #15
Oddly enough, I thought the same thing when I first read Zeviz's post. I blame it on the turtles, though, not Dolphin's current moniker.

Catapulted to #20 from somewhere in the 40's... I'm glad, I must say, not because I'm posting more, but because everyone else is posting less.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #16
Wow, I have really dropped off. Oh well, I'll try and keep in the top 10.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
I'm not surprised I've dropped off a little this month; I've been settling back in at university, preparing submissions to Parliament, etc. Hopefully I'll be less busy next month.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #18
#19. Wow. Considering that's a good chuck of my posts (96) I think I did pretty well. At this rate I might actually end up hitting 1000.

EDIT: Damn, it appears that's aprils. Now to have a look at July....

EDIT 2:Turns out I am looking at the right thing, it just has April 2005 at the top for some reason.

[ Thursday, August 18, 2005 01:50: Message edited by: Kingy ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #19
Technically, Aran, you're not even on the list. You have Martin/Thralni as one entry when they should be two equal entries, making ou the eleventh name on the top ten list.

Felt I had to point that out. The Inner Nitpick compelled me to.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
Er, Martin and Thralni are two names for the same account. Why should they be separate entries?

[ Thursday, August 18, 2005 03:22: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #21
I'm estactically happy after recieving my AS level results today, and seeing that I've climbed to 14th cemented that.

Yes, I AM smiling.

And, it seems my prophecy about clibing up, unnoticed by the top postersm into a position where I may usurp them was correct! Viva La Revolution, and all that.

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I'm not surprised I've dropped off a little this month; I've been settling back in at university, preparing submissions to Parliament, etc. Hopefully I'll be less busy next month.
What are you submitting to Parliament?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Scorched Earth Sarachim:

What are you submitting to Parliament?
Well, I'm glad you asked. :P

Basically, Australia's current legislation regarding the permissible use of embryos is being reviewed, and the review committee is calling for submissions from the public. On behalf of the Biomedical Science student body of the University of Melbourne, I, along with a small group of other students, am preparing a submission to the committee recommending specific changes to the legislation.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #24
:D Hehe, my first thought was that you might be trying to get elected to Parliament.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.

Pages