If you could invite 4 people to a dinner in any form...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: If you could invite 4 people to a dinner in any form...
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #0
The point of this thread is naming 4 people that are close to your heart, important people in your life or people whom you appreciate (or even all 3) that you'd invite to a dinner. They can be dead or alive. By dead, not the rotting corpses of them, but in their living, physical forms. (I did this kind of example at my college and some people freaked out on the dead part of it.)

They can also be fictional or some fantasy character from a dream as well, if you so desire.

As always, some people would be considered hypothetical if you've talking about people that are dead or you know that they probably couldn't be invited to your dinner, for obvious reasons.

Ex: Michael Jordan, Albert Einstein, Mom, Dad.

Those aren't the people who'd I invite, by the way.

EDIT: Minor typos

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 14:57: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #1
Genghis Khan, Joseph Stalin, Jack the Ripper, and Caligula.

...There were no survivors.

A more civilized bunch of guests:

Domenico Scarlatti, A.E. van Vogt, Claudius, and H.P. Lovecraft.

...They would all be very polite, and nobody would even abscond with any of the silverware.

If we could invite fictional characters, I'd have the following four over to dinner:

Doctor Who, Arthur Dent, Ijon Tichy, and God Emperor Leto II (in his worm-form).

Leto II smashed his chair and had to end up "sitting" on the floor...

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Newton, Milton, Einstein, and Shakespeare. This has the advantage that they all speak English.

If we could bridge the language divide, gimme Augustus, Socrates, Jesus, and Marx. If you think Spiderweb political/philosophical debates get interesting....

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #3
Theodore Roosevelt, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, George Harrison, and Vladimir Illyich Lenin. I find all four to be thoroughly interesting, if not admirable, fellows, and as everyone in the gathering would be capable (although Gandhi would certainly not be thrilled) of conversing in English, I'm sure the evening would be at least somewhat enlightening.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #4
Jesus and TM. It'd be hilarious.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #5
J.K Rowling, John Howard, Osama Bin Laden and Sam Newman. That would be lovely.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #6
I'd have to say my list would be as follows -
Kirk Hammett
Dave Navarro
God
George lucas (Not because I actually like the guy, but in the hopes of scoring free Star Wars stuff[Just watched a DVD of Ep III today and the movie was ALOT better than II])

Actually, Bill Gates might be an option as well, I might pick up some free money.
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #7
I would chose:
Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, Terry Pratchett, and J.K Rowling.

Result: An Epic thirty-book saga about a boy in glasses including some very weird jokes.

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
A Roman peasant from the reign of any stable and sane Emperor, a medieval French serf from just before the Hundred Years War, a Chinese peasant from the Great Leap Forward, and a modern-day inner city American ghetto dweller. The conversation and complaints would be enlightening.

—Alorael, who would also be very tempted to do a little research and find history's four best chefs. Sure, the table talk might not leave you feeling ensmartened (not a word, don't use it), but the food would be unbelievable.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
God? In any specific kind of incarnation, or just as an invisible omnipotent being, or as a wise man with a long white beard? :)

As for me... I'd have to say Tolkien (of course), Riverbend, ee cummings, and Rachel Corrie. The discussion would likely be hovering somewhere between literature, religion and political activism (I'm aware that I'm putting poor John Ronald in possibly quite uncomfortable company for a devout Catholic), but I'm sure we could find some things to agree on .

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 22:03: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #10
Han Solo, J.K. Rowling,Tolkien, George Lucas.

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 23:19: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
I have to say that while I might have been discomforting Tolkien by inviting him into an overwhelming majority of progressives, agnostics and otherwise a-religious types, you are putting him at one table with a writer who compares his kind of fantasy to "an idealised, romanticised, pseudofeudal world, where knights and ladies morris-dance to Greensleeves".

No, honestly, I'm done with Rowling. If she finds fantasy outmoded, she should write Sci-Fi. Or biographies, perhaps. :mad:

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 23:26: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #12
I'd invite: Mom, dad, and my two grandmothers.

My two grandmothers because I didn't get to know them very well, but still remember enough to love them very much. If only I could have a grandmother at the moment *snif*.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #13
I'll try again.

Cleopatra, Angelina Jolie, Jeri Ryan, and Jolene Blalock.

Well, this does say alot about me I guess. All of them are women of great beuty, one is a historical figure, another is a movie star, and the two others play star trek characters. :P

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
Jeros, do you have a notebook full of all of our responses to all of your topics?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Probably. I'm sure there is more than one intelligence agent observing this dangerously subversive board of potential communists. :P

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Aranfoolcaytar:

God? In any specific kind of incarnation, or just as an invisible omnipotent being, or as a wise man with a long white beard?
God's a Wise Man wannabe. That is all :P

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #17
Srinivasa Ramanujan, Carl Friedrich Gauss, Leonardo Da Vinci, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.

Or, in case I had a bottle of poison and a very loyal cook:

Bill Gates, George W. Bush, Jack Chick, and either John Romero or John Smid.

Finally, if dead scientists, dead mathematicians, dead exemplary people and soon-to-be-dead unexemplary people are out of the question:

Eric Burns, Richard Stallman, Joseph Blanchette, Thomas Biskup.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #18
Jesus, Buddha Gautama, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, and I'll leave the fourth seat open for now.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 16
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

If we could bridge the language divide, gimme Augustus, Socrates, Jesus, and Marx. If you think Spiderweb political/philosophical debates get interesting....

You know...Jesus could speak English.

--------------------
You know, Scorp, there's a good reason you're not a moderator any more.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #20
Adolf Hitler, Cecil Rhodes, Bud Bundy and Atilla, the Scourge of God (Because you need someone who is really hardcore to make up for the other pansies)

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #21
We can't have corpses?!!! Aww....Why not? :(
I'd have Terry Practhett, Diana Wynne Jones, Garth Nix, and Neil Gaiman.

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by TurtleWhipper:

quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

You know...Jesus could speak English.

He could, but there is really no account of him speaking anything other than Hebrew while on Earth.

He could come to my dinner table though, along with TM (these other two may be able to enlighten him somewhat), Bush, and, hmmm. Who else wants to? ;)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #23
Try to invite Karl Popper and Wittgenstein to your dinner-table. If you know your philosophy history, you will know how that will end. :.Chuckles::

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
Ben: Aramaic, technically, but when has factual accuracy ever been your goal?

Regardless, for the sake of Socrates and Augustus (and probably Marx, too, but I'm not sure if he spoke English in addition to German), we'd need a Babel fish.

[ Sunday, August 07, 2005 13:58: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages