Know any good RPGs?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Know any good RPGs?
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #0
I'm getting a new PC in a couple of weeks. My first ever, actually. To celebrate this historical event, I am going to buy a bunch of games, most of them rpgs.

Now, for my question, does anyone know any good rpgs that are in stores right know(but maybe not that wellknown)? Something in the style of morrowind, first or third person.

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #1
Baldurs Gate 1&2 are wellknown and priceworthy (should be cheap since they are old).

So are Fallout 1&2. Great story.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #2
Neverwinter Nights is good.

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Apprentice
Member # 313
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Contra:

Baldurs Gate 1&2 are wellknown and priceworthy (should be cheap since they are old).

you cant go wrong w/ Baldurs Gate. its about $20 a peice.

also Icewind Dale is good too

--------------------
finally, a superhero we can trust...
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
Well the new Elder Scrolls game is coming in the next couple months... keep your eye on that.

Otherwise, I'd suggest reading that "Favorite RPGs" thread down below.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #5
<sigh>

I was hoping for a bit more than that. Oh well.

I'm gonna buy Oblivion as soon as it comes out, concidering the fact that Morrowind became my favourite fantasy game when I stepped of the ship onto the dock at Seyda Neen, and looked around at the incredible graphics. A bit further in the game, and a couple of annoying bugs/npcs/deaths later, it slipped to third or fouth position. Since Oblivion is supposed to fix all the stuff that sucked in Morrowind, I'm buying it. In fact, I'm watching their site right now, watching for the release date so I can run down to the local GAME and reserv it.

I will buy Baldur's Gate at the same time as I buy my new PC, hopefully. I've played BG: Dark Alliance I & II on the xbox, and I have to admit, its pretty entertaining.

As for Neverwinter nights, isn't it an online only game? I forgot to mention, my internet is really crappy, so I'm not gonna buy any online games until I fix 8 Mbits or something...

Whats Icewind Dale? Never heard of it. I'll go google it...

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Apprentice
Member # 4287
Profile Homepage #6
Icewind Dale's done on the Baldur's gate engine, but it's more Hack 'n Slash than RPG.
Neverwinter Nights is based on D&D 3e, but was also just chop, chop, chop with a huge advantage for players who played monks.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #7
Fallout 1&2! Seriously, it's a huge RPG set in a post-apocalyptic world. Try it out.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #8
Download a N64 emulator and get Mario 64. That would probably be my favourite rpg ever. Diablo 2 is also pretty good.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #9
Mario 64? Eww.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #10
Mario 64 is not an RPG in any sense and N64 is still a tad new and a tad illegal to emulate ATM, especially sicne the game was rereleased on DS.

If you're looking for a superb online experience, get Guild Wars.
Apprentice
Member # 5208
Profile #11
Gothic I&II - My favorite modern games of all time

Planescape: Torment

Fallout 1&2

Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Temple of Elemental Evil - Not a great story but the best combat in an RPG ever.

Wizardry 8

Not true RPGs, but some of my favorites and have an RPG feel:

Thief 1,2, & 3

System Shock 2

Deus Ex

Freedom Force

Fallout Tactics (I liked it)

Jagged Alliance 2

Silent Storm
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #12
Fallout Tactics was a disappointment.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 2829
Profile #13
Xenocide almost has it.

Also get Ultima VII and Expansion (beg and borrow, do not steal it!!) Use Exult to run it. http://exult.sourceforge.net/

Anything by Vogel :) (shameless plug).

If you must have a hack-n-slash(AVOID), go with Divine Divinity instead of Diablo2...

And, of course, try Wasteland (older, but great) and use DosBox to run it. http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

Again, avoid hack-n-slash... Trust me. (KOTOR also is one of these :P ).

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:33: Message edited by: Lochmacher ]
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #14
BTW, Deus Ex is considered a "real" RPG.

And if you haven't played that, stop what you're doing, and do so right now.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4710
Profile #15
Or, if you have played Deus Ex until your eyes fall out, it's probably time to switch to something else.

Though naturally it's a MMORPG, World of Warcraft is worth playing anyway.

--------------------
Life is short. Use a Mac.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #16
I found Anito, a Filipino shareware game and think it looks really interesting.
If I had a PC I would give it a try.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Warrior
Member # 6076
Profile #17
Diablo II is very good and i only have the demo

--------------------
I was born in Redwall, Raised by bandits, went back to Redwall, became thier champion, and was eventually killed by a raison that was caught in my esophogus......Joy
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #18
Try Realmz. It's very similar to BoE but with more of a standard RPG feel to it.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Infiltrator
Member # 74
Profile #19
If you're looking for any kind of MMORPG...

Final Fantasy 11

&

Everquest 2

are both extremely good.

--------------------
]www.revolutionaryesp.cjb.net

Final Fantasy XI
75BLM/37WHM

Everquest Online Adventures
60 Wilding
60 Spellbinder
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #20
Anyone here know where I can buy Fallout 2 for Mac online, with a reasonable price? And not Ebay, because it requires me to sign up in such many weird ways.

Fallout 2 for PC costs me like 10 bucks on the web, but for Mac it's close to 50 bucks. What the hell is that all about? I mean, it's MACPLANET that created the bloody game..

Edit: I thought they stopped developing Realmz? Haven't seen a new scenario in ages.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 09:23: Message edited by: Contra ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #21
Google it, Contra. Amazon comes mind, but you'd have to look around for the best price. Mac games almost always cost at least twice as much as PC games.

Edit: at a quick glance, you can get a better price than $50.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 09:38: Message edited by: Zaiu ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #22
Neverwinter Nights is a great game, although if you want to make the most of it, you'll need a decent internet connection. Still, it's playable even without one, since it's not online-only.

Planescape: Torment is supposed to be really good, if you liked the Baldur's Gate series. Unfortunately, it's also impossible to find.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
Realmz is buggy, finicky, prone to glitches and idiosyncracies, and painfully typo-ridden. It has balance problems, plot problems, and graphics problems. Then it was cloned carelessly as New Centurions. In the earliest versions of this bold "new" game, the nsame "Realmz" and Realmz bits and pieces were still left in.

I'm not a Realmz fan.

—Alorael, who spent less time using Froogle to look up Fallout 2 prices than he did typing this message and found prices well under $50. A few more seconds on Amazon would probably get you even better deals, especially if you're not picky about used copies.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #24
Problem is my country. I found a copy of Fallout 2 for 29 dollars on http://www.apple.com. But guess what? They won't ship aboard, just the US. I had to look it up on the Swedish version of apple.com, and the price was up to 50 again.

--------------------

Pages