what instrument do YOU play?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: what instrument do YOU play?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
i was kind'a wondering what instruments the people here play. I play the trombone and I'm the second trombone in a symphonic orchestra. I will probab;y soon will get a new trombone. Something like this:

IMAGE(http://www.janslotblaasinstrumenten.nl/catalog/images/instr/k2104fb.jpg)

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
IMAGE(http://images.polarisboard.org/arancaytar/ibach.jpg)

Pretty much identical to the one I practice with, or at least very similar.

Edit: Trouble with the URL. What would I do without Logalot?`

Edit:

A very crappy recording of Prelude XII in F minor by Bach. I'll play it again when I'm at home - it's much better now.

[ Friday, July 01, 2005 00:07: Message edited by: Vote Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #2
I play my friends guitar, whenever I am over at his house. I can play a couple of tunes, but nothing worth listening to.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I used to play the violin and piano (although not both at the same time, because I tried that once and it sounds awful). I gave up on both after learning them for a few years, partly because I was never much good at either and partly because I don't like music.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I don't like music.
Why not? All kinds of music?

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Vote Arancaytar:

A very crappy recording of Prelude XII in F minor by Bach. I'll play it again when I'm at home - it's much better now.

I thought it sounded rather good... But, well. I actually don't listen that much to music which contains piano. I mostly listen to componists like wagner or Dvorak (pronounced Dvozjak). it has alot of brass.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Vote Arancaytar:

quote:

I don't like music.
Why not? All kinds of music?

If I'm in the mood for a source of aural distraction at all, I'd prefer something with more substance than style. I'd much rather listen to a good conversation than a series of pretty sounds.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
quote:

I'd much rather listen to a good conversation than a series of pretty sounds.
everyone has his one taste, and I will respect that, although i think music is much more then "a series of pretty sounds."

[ Friday, July 01, 2005 02:17: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

quote:

I'd much rather listen to a good conversation than a series of pretty sounds.
everyone has his one taste, and I will respect that, although i think music is much more then "a series of pretty sounds."

Uh... ditto.

Though this is the first time I've actually encountered such a taste. Most people I know prefer some certain kind of music, and some claim the music they prefer is the only thing that is actually music, but I'm surprised to hear someone say they don't like any kind of music at all.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #9
This sounds silly, but I'm asking it seriously:

Are there any instruments aside from the voice that you can play without a lot of manual dexterity? I've got a medically-related superb lack of fine motor skills and have tried to find "my instrument" to no avail. Piano, drums, trombone, and guitar are out for sure, for example.

By the way, I'm guessing Thuryl enjoys good tuneage, but that he just doesn't "feel it" the way the musically inclined are able to do. Unfortunately, I "feel it," but the body can't follow the spirit. :P

EDIT: I suppose my statement about Thuryl was accurate, then. He posted before I finished this one.

[ Friday, July 01, 2005 03:20: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
I'm not a particularly sentimental person, and I make no apologies for that. It's not that I actively dislike music, but I'll only listen to it if I feel the need for background noise and there's nothing tolerable on TV or the radio.

EDIT:

quote:
Are there any instruments aside from the voice that you can play without a lot of manual dexterity? I've got a medically-related superb lack of fine motor skills and have tried to find "my instrument" to no avail. Piano, drums, trombone, and guitar are out for sure, for example.
Uh, maybe a xylophone with reasonably large bars? Depends just how lacking your lack is. Any complex piece of music is going to require fairly precise timing even if you're just playing a triangle, so if your problem extends as far as not being able to hit an object at controlled time intervals then you're probably just out of luck.

Or you could try a bugle; a bugle requires no manual dexterity at all, because all the work in controlling the note you're playing is done by your mouth instead. Not much call for bugles these days, though.

[ Friday, July 01, 2005 03:25: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #11
Feh. That's pretty much as far as it goes, actually. That's precisely why the drums don't work for me. I suppose I'll have to settle with creative expression in the form of the written word. Or perhaps I could compose music and have other people play it the way I know it's meant to be played. Now, there's a thought...
hmmm...

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #12
The only thing I actually can come up with, is singing. if your motoric lacks, I'm afraid you can't really play an instrument. Tell me, is it only your FINGERS, or is it your hole arm, this not really fast. Because for playing the trombone, you don't need to quickly move you fingers. its only your arm that sometimens needs to move fast. Soemthing that is really important though, is your lips. If your lips don't work properly, You'lle have problems big time. Have you actually ever tried it?

EDIT:
Composing is really fun. i do it myself too. if you do want to try it once, try the following website:

finalemusic

Printmusic is the program I use, and its really good.

[ Friday, July 01, 2005 03:34: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #13
Lips are fine. If I got the training, I could sing with no trouble. It's the whole arm, fingers, and legs and feet as well. My muscles tend to become over-active rather quickly, so the messages from my brain to the muscles lose their timing. It's slight, but noticeable. Stifness is also a problem.

"Why not sing, then?" you might be wondering. Well, I used to, but then my voice cracked and although I was no longer an alto, my baritone voice reminded me (and still does) of the tones of one who has utilized too many illegal substances.

Plus, singing is very egocentric. Using a tool apart from oneself seems more contemplative and fulfilling to me. It's not news to me that I can't play an instrument, though. I just wanted to see if someone knew about something I didn't.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
Sounds like Thuryl is more extreme than me, but I also used to be pretty indifferent to music. I would put on a CD and quite enjoy it, and vow that I should do that more often. A couple of months later I'd do the same thing again.

But it turns out it was just that I have a very low tolerance for the effort involved in choosing a CD and getting it playing. Now I have an iPod and I use it almost every day.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Sounds like Thuryl is more extreme than me, but I also used to be pretty indifferent to music. I would put on a CD and quite enjoy it, and vow that I should do that more often. A couple of months later I'd do the same thing again.

But it turns out it was just that I have a very low tolerance for the effort involved in choosing a CD and getting it playing. Now I have an iPod and I use it almost every day.

And my PC playlist is around 36 hours long. I still sometimes listen to CDs, but rarely.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #16
I thought that I wouldn't use an iPod, but I was sadly mistaken. Now I have one and it draws me to it. Now I can listen to music in bed!

The most fun part is falling asleep with the thing on. I once fell asleep with Nine Inch Nails looping and woke up to Closer. Quite an interesting experience, I must say.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
most of the time, i don't listen to all the music I have on my computer. So its actually wasted disk space. Why don't remove it then? One word: lazy.
i usually listen to the CD's that happen to be in my CD-player.

Buing an Ipod will probably be right out at the moment. I'm going to buy a new trombone, and that is a costly enterprise (about $1500).

[ Friday, July 01, 2005 04:01: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5523
Profile #18
I play electric violin, acustic violin, and piano.

--------------------
“Medicine, Law, Business, Engineering - These are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But Poetry, Beauty, Romance, Love-These are what we alive stay for.”
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #19
Could you maybe post a picture of an electric violin? I haven't seen one before. I did here rumors abuot them: they are almost exactly the same as a real violin, but they have different strings and they function like guitars. Am I right abou that?

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Slp006:

I thought that I wouldn't use an iPod, but I was sadly mistaken. Now I have one and it draws me to it. Now I can listen to music in bed!

The most fun part is falling asleep with the thing on. I once fell asleep with Nine Inch Nails looping and woke up to Closer. Quite an interesting experience, I must say.

That makes me even more certain I'm not going to buy one of those evil things. Oh no, precious.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #21
I play the piano, tenor saxophone, clarinet, and air guitar ;) . I also completely purged my computer of music just to see how it would turn out. I haven't cracked yet, although the first few days were pretty hard.

--------------------
I HAVE LOCATED MY CAPS LOCK KEY AND FEEL YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT!
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #22
I play tenor saxophone and sometimes piano. I could be better with the sax but i am still he fastest learner in my music class. :D

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Warrior
Member # 5523
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Could you maybe post a picture of an electric violin? I haven't seen one before. I did here rumors abuot them: they are almost exactly the same as a real violin, but they have different strings and they function like guitars. Am I right abou that?
Kinda, electric violins very greatly, many have five strings rather then the usual 4 on a normal violin. I play a 4 stringed electric violin so it is not much different from an acustic one. Mine looks like the skeleton of a normal violin plugged into an amp. They are played with a bow like normal violins.

--------------------
“Medicine, Law, Business, Engineering - These are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But Poetry, Beauty, Romance, Love-These are what we alive stay for.”
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #24
I played piano and clarinet when I was very young, but lost interest. I taught myself a little bit of guitar, but also lost interest. Drawing vibes better with me than playing an instrument.

I can relate to the lack of interest in music; it's not that I avoid it, but rather that I don't seek it out. I'll listen to CDs when in certain moods, but most of the time I prefer to listen to the birds outside, or the TV in the background at times.

Edit: sp

[ Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:21: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00

Pages