I demand my two stars back!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I demand my two stars back!!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #0
What happened to my two star Karma? Destroyed just like that. Calling all those who haven't rated my Karma please send me back to one or two stars. What a disturbing event. I am most definitely not clean!

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #1
This topic... better be locked.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #2
VCH, as you are aware, you get 1-star ratings if you ask for a 5 star rating, not a 1 star rating. You should know by now.

*gives 5-star rating*

[ Wednesday, June 29, 2005 21:09: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I'm going to rate you 3 stars, just to be perverse.

Were I a mod, I'd lock topics like these. Another reason to vote for Thuryl!

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #4
Even if I give you five stars it won't weigh much against all the other ratings, but here they are anyway.
*gives 5 stars* :D

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #5
And of course you have been victims of his scheme to get a 5 star ranking...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #6
On the topic of ratings, I just noticed that my rating has gone up. And I also noticed that VCH is the only member who has posted here that does not have a 4-star rating.

--------------------

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I'm going to rate you 3 stars, just to be perverse.

Were I a mod, I'd lock topics like these. Another reason to vote for Thuryl!

This topic represents a lot of what Spiderweb stands for. Don't let yourself be pressured into sanity! Vote Aran! "

Aran.
~~~ "You owe it to the Door" ~~~

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #8
It seems to me that all this forum is about is to try to control yourself from spamming and avoid mangoes. If you do it good you receive the ranking as a saint :mad: ,if not you receive the ranking as a evil priest :D .

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #9
*Clears throat loudly*

Take it elsewhere, please.

--------------------

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

*Clears throat loudly*

Take it elsewhere, please.

The second thread does not count, since a poll is not a place to advertise. However, any other given place - such as this topic - is a very apt place. In spite of the comment in the third thread, it is unavoidable to keep propaganda to a propaganda topic. It doesn't work in real life, and it doesn't work here. Advertising, wrong as that may be, will always be opt-out rather than opt-in.

[ Thursday, June 30, 2005 04:03: Message edited by: Vote Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #11
Is this just a fallacious impression, or is VCH aiming for a higher karma?

[ Thursday, June 30, 2005 05:41: Message edited by: Contemptible ]
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #12
He's definetely aiming for it, but that dosen't stop my finger!

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #13
No you have it all wrong. I was quite proud being one of the few members with a Karma under 3. Then suddenly people think I'm a three star. I will say this topic has not worked if all I've received is 5 stars. Curse you all. :P

edit: If some of you work in reverse, then please give me a five star rating.

[ Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:25: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #14
Three stars because it's in between both of the scores you might want.

--------------------
I HAVE LOCATED MY CAPS LOCK KEY AND FEEL YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Four starts are the result of most people on Spiderweb being happy, friendly, and maybe even cuddly. The reason it's not five stars is because that includes most Spidwebbers. The scattering of ones balances the fives out to fours.

—Alorael, who brings you this enlightenment on behalf of people who actually care about karma and to demonstrate that he too can steal signatures. Sorry, Salmon.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #16
Then again I'm not sure if everyone only rates with 5s and ones, cause when I had only 2 votes I had 4 karma, though with the 4th vote it went up to 5. How exactly are votes weighted?

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

What happened to my two star Karma? Destroyed just like that. Calling all those who haven't rated my Karma please send me back to one or two stars. What a disturbing event. I am most definitely not clean!
You saint.

And if two star karmas are 'better', whoo for me.

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Walter:

How exactly are votes weighted?
Magic.

The first vote you get counts more than the second, which counts more than the third, and so on. It's possible that the identity of the member who rates you also has some bearing on how much their rating counts.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Byte -1:

Four starts are the result of most people on Spiderweb being happy, friendly, and maybe even cuddly. The reason it's not five stars is because that includes most Spidwebbers. The scattering of ones balances the fives out to fours.

—Alorael, who brings you this enlightenment on behalf of people who actually care about karma and to demonstrate that he too can steal signatures. Sorry, Salmon.

Five stars are rare, and usually the result of

a- making a large number of multiple accounts and voting yourself up

b- being a girl and looking cute in the eyes of Spiderweb's predominant population of male geeks.

For understandable reasons, most people with five stars are newbies, ie. people who have only a few posts but made themselves so popular with them that the few who rated them voted them up. Older members tend to balance it out as Alo said.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #20
Well in my case its due to only being rated 4 times total. When I had two votes I noticed it said weighted average 4.4, so I guess first rating was 4, subsequent ones a 5, and now with 4 votes its 4.7, So the first rating is worth 60% of the total when there are only 2 (thats 50% more than the second), but after 4 votes it accounts for 30% of the total. Therefore the ratio of value between the first vote and the next vote decreases as the total votes increases. After figuring that out I realize that whatever the exact formula is, it is way to complicated for me to figure out.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
I figure that karma was originally intended to let newbies have an idea on which established members to trust, etc. Of course this is total [insert appropriate word] and karma is more along the lines of those polls conducted during presidential debates. Meaningless. Aside from spam, and my weak homage to Alo's signature line, I have contributed nothing of lasting value to the community, and yet not only do I have a karma rating, but it is above 3. There is no basis.

*this message is funded by Skribbane Sun Times and Sniping Weekly, two worthwhile publications*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Vote Arancaytar:

b- being a girl and looking cute in the eyes of Spiderweb's predominant population of male geeks.

Hooray for Dolphin!

Your right though, most members tend to vote females higher, as most can't resist the curves of the female population.

EDIT: Poopulation...what was I thinking?

[ Thursday, June 30, 2005 21:47: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #23
Which is exactly why I don't hold any value to Karma :)

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #24
No worries Dolphin, I only rate you based on your leaping, jumping, and frolicking skills.

*this message sponsored by sea creatures that appreciate the joys of aerial acrobatics*

Pages