Worst Spiderweb Game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Worst Spiderweb Game
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #0
Infinite 'favorite game polls', 0 'least favorite game polls' (or at least in the search I did). Why not find out which Spiderweb-published or -produced game is the one people like best.

[ Tuesday, June 28, 2005 07:03: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 32 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=hdXWNDvalasD"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=hdXWNDvalasD"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
Ocean Bound, Lost Souls, and Galactic Core are Richard White games; they are just distributed by Spiderweb.

I liked GF3 less than the other games, but it's still a good game.

Edit: Isn't Homeland a different company as well?

[ Tuesday, June 28, 2005 07:46: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #2
I really can't tell you what the worst game is. They are all pretty good. I've never played them all, but in my opinion, the one that sort of lacks luster is Exile 1. The graphics are kind of dated, but then, the game was made in the early '90s. :)

-- Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Warrior
Member # 5523
Profile #3
Im guessing this was inspired by my "Homeland" post.

--------------------
“Medicine, Law, Business, Engineering - These are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But Poetry, Beauty, Romance, Love-These are what we alive stay for.”
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Diarog Lethuta:

I really can't tell you what the worst game is. They are all pretty good. I've never played them all, but in my opinion, the one that sort of lacks luster is Exile 1. The graphics are kind of dated, but then, the game was made in the early '90s. :)

-- Diarog Lethuta

You obviously have no appreciation for the classics... Besides, you don't need to play many spidweb games to find one that is much worse...

[ Tuesday, June 28, 2005 07:48: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
I prefer Exile I to Avernum.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:

Homeland was made by DragonLore.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
I find it hard to choose. The richard white games I don't know, so I also can't really vote about them. Exile 2 I found just annoying in that second chapter. The graphics and gameplay I found not good.
Avernum 2 is just the same as Exile 2, but the graphics are better.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #8
Please excuse the disrespect I showed to Exile I. I do love the game, and every other Spideweb game I've played ( Exile II, Exile III, Avernum III, BoA). All I wanted was to have some input. I guess since in my opinion, there is no such thing as "the worst game" that I've played. I just picked on Exile because I'm such a jerk. Girls are always telling me this. Why don't I listen to them? I probably shouldn't have posted in the first place. I'm very, very sorry. :o

-- Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:

Ocean Bound, Lost Souls, and Galactic Core are Richard White games; they are just distributed by Spiderweb.

I liked GF3 less than the other games, but it's still a good game.

Subterra is also made by someone else.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #10
Homeland is the worst, of course. We didn't need a poll to figure this one out.

If this poll concerned only the Vogel originals, the results might be a bit more enlightening.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #11
Well, the way I see it, it's between Homeland and Galactic Core. Since Homeland only operates on Windows and Galactic Core only operates on Mac, this poll really doesn't work well.

--------------------
I HAVE LOCATED MY CAPS LOCK KEY AND FEEL YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #12
The worst game I played is definately Ocean Bound, and even that was kind of fun. I don't really want to try galactic core or homeland, and don't plan on doing so anytime soon.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #13
Anyone who voted Exile II in the bottom two Spidweb games has not played more than 5 minutes of the game...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #14
This poll is entirely unnecessary.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Homeland wins by a mile.

Although GC is the cool game to hate, I actually think Ocean Bound is less entertaining. It's just less spectacularly unenthralling.

—Alorael, who has to put E1 at the bottom of Jeff's games. It's spectacular for a first effort, but the engine improvements clearly show that it was a first effort. Second worst is much less obvious. He might even vote for a Geneforge purely on the basis of having no urge to register them.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Thoughts? 0 o .:

Although GC is the cool game to hate, I actually think Ocean Bound is less entertaining. It's just less spectacularly unenthralling..
Hear, hear.

I played Lost Souls on and off for a few days, but shut down Ocean Bound shortly after tinkering around with it for only a minute or so. The closest thing I can compare it to is playing SimCity, but without the city.

My position on Galactic Core is fairly well known, so I shan't go into any more details on the matter here in this more public forum. I can do whatever I like in the RWG forum, though, 'cause nobody down there gives a darn. I may not run around naked with a rubber chicken strapped to my head in front of a full baseball stadium, but it's fun to do so in my best friend's basement. I may be an idiot, but I'm no fool!

I voted Homeland worst game though I've never played it (naturally). Just hearing the horror stories about it was scary enough. Brazenly unfair, of course, but there you are. I'd play the demo just for the heck of it, but I don't have a Windows computer.

Ocean Bound got second-worst.

EDIT: Added two sentences (not including this one, duh), and corrected a couple of typos.

[ Tuesday, June 28, 2005 16:52: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Harlequin:

Im guessing this was inspired by my "Homeland" post.
You guessed a bit wrong :D . It was inspired by Hugnam's new "Best Games" poll.
Who is the fella who voted BoA as the worst game? :mad: ;)

[ Tuesday, June 28, 2005 23:20: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

This poll is entirely unnecessary.
What he said.

EDIT: To add something worthwhile to this post, I will state that I have never played Galctic Core/Ocean Bound/Homeland. By looks of things I should consider myself fortunate.

[ Wednesday, June 29, 2005 00:51: Message edited by: Infelice ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #19
Yeah, really, the Best Games poll effectively shows the worst games also, and it's already been said quite a few times that Homeland was the worst. But yeah, it would be more interesting to make it the worst Spiderweb game, though that might have already been done too.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Anyone who voted Exile II in the bottom two Spidweb games has not played more than 5 minutes of the game...
I think exile II, nor avernum 2 is really good. i really hated the second chapter: black waters. Although the vahnatai lands were nice to be in.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #21
Re Homeland, even though Homeland continues to be rated as the worst game on these boards, I observe that my recently acquired Geneforge 3 CD-ROM still includes the Homeland demo. Despite the fact that it is no longer listed on the spidweb order form. Perhaps it should also ship with a health warning...

Re Spiderweb originals, from analysing the results of Ash's poll (55 votes to date) I see that the least-liked Spiderweb game and the most-disliked Spiderweb game are not the same thing. Calculating percentages based only on people who have actually tried the game:

Least votes for great game
1: Exile 1 (18%) [7 votes]
2: Avernum 1 (28%)
3: Geneforge 2 (37%)

Most votes for terrible game
1: Exile 2 (7%) [3 votes]
2: Geneforge 3 (6%)
3: Exile 1 (5%)

Note, however, that more people liked these games than disliked them. Also compare the votes for terrible game with the non-spiderweb games: Homeland 71.4%; Galactic Core 42.9%. Spiderweb is miles ahead.

The results are slightly different if you group together great+good and terrible+poor:

Least votes for great+good
1: Exile 1 (43%) [17 votes]
2: Exile 2 (63%)
3: Exile 3 (65%)

Most votes for terrible+poor
1: Exile 1 (20%) [8 votes]
2: Geneforge 2 (17%)
3: Geneforge 1 (13%)

So if you take mildly-held views into account then Exile 1 comes out worst. Note however that even so, more than twice as many people liked it as disliked it. That's a pretty good stat for the company's "worst" game.

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
Yes, but that the non spiderwebgames may be voted less in this poll, can also be a result of the following thought:

"All the games of spiderweb I liked, so naturally a vote for the ones that are non-spiderweb, so I can support Spiderweb"

I think that if you haven't tried the non-spiderweb games and you played the non-spiderweb games for more then a day or so and stil find it crap, THEN you can vote against them. But if everyone starts voting for things they don't know, we can close this poll immediatly. And I don't say this because I like the non-spiderweb games.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #23
An unfortunate fact about democracy: ignorant people's votes count just the same as well-informed people's votes.

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #24
That's why I sometimes really hate life and the world. I could give a hole list of things I might hate, but I merely be the bore of the day.

--------------------

Pages