Cracker Jack and the Missing Peanuts

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Cracker Jack and the Missing Peanuts
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #0
Is it just me, or have the peanuts in Cracker Jack bags and boxes been suddenly disappearing? I just opened a bag up expecting some nourishing sugar-covered-legume-and-popcorn goodness late at night, and I poured out the bag and discovered about five peanuts in it. I seem to recall a time a few years ago where there were more peanuts. Am I just imagining this?

Also, I apologize for this rather mundane post, but I had to throw it out there. I feel as though I'm losing my mind.

ADD: No no no, wait. I have indeed lost my mind! The possibility of Cracker-Jack being progressively skimpy on the peanuts has acutally caused me some concern, showing that my life is particularly frivolous at the moment. Regardless, feedback on the CJ situation would be appreciated.

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 22:19: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
This is rather general even for General.

Can't you just, you know, buy peanuts separately and add extra?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Thuryl, the fact that you would even suggest that is evidence that you are no Cracker Jack connoisseur.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I don't think they even sell them here, actually.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
I will go even further: What are they, except that they are peanuts?

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #5
If this was on a french forum, people would not have a clue what you were talking about since there are no peanuts in France.

Oh, that was way off topic, huh? I apologize...

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
You are from France! Well, I can tell you that in Holland they also aren't sold. I like french fries! and baguet! and Paris! and .... I could go on a long time like this, but I'll spare you the blabber.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #7
I am from Sweden, not from France. :P By the way, french fries are not from France. And the real name of french fries are pommes frites (Pronounced "Pom Fritz") but you call it french fries for some reason in US. Do none of you read french books? :rolleyes:

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
Ha! Now I can get back at you! I'm not from the US! I'm from Holland (= The Netherlands). Pom Fritz (or French fries) came actually from Belgium. They are called "patat". That was the ever so boring history of the French fries.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #9
When did I say you were from US? You do know that the use of "you" is used as "one". For instance:
"Why do you sleep at night and not on the day?" This was ment as "Why do one sleep at night and not on the day?" but grammar fixed it. I told you too that it was pronounced "pom fritz" but it is spelled "pommes frites". Time to go to bed and practice your grammar perhaps?

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
Now I have some not so logical things to say about what you stated in your earlier reply. lets start at point one, thank you.

1) "you" used as "one" can be very confusing. I you mean "one" then say "one."

2) I'm still in school. I can't possibly know everything about the English grammar.

3) Could you explain to me the use of going to bed to practice grammar? When I go to bed, I'd rather lie down and just sleep. If I want to study my grammar, I'd go sit at my desk, where I'd then can sit.

Thank you for your attention. Was signed, sir Alfred pussycat. Now piss off, will you? (these sentences have to be read as if a rich Englishmen (or as in a Monthy Pyhton film) would have said it). (Now offence when I said piss off).

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Eagle, the author soul:

"Why do you sleep at night and not on the day?" This was ment as "Why do one sleep at night and not on the day?"

Now I found here some nasty mistakes in the grammar.
The first sentance is all right. The second however, is "Why DOES one sleep at night and not DURING the day." The last thing (during) also counts for the first sentence. Time to grab that grammar book of yours again, maybe? :P

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
This topic is starting to remind me of a conga line of window treatments.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
Yes, you're right. I've vacation, so why am I busy with English grammar?

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #14
When I was little I always liked the prize that came in the Cracker Jacks; can't get that from the homemade version.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

I will go even further: What are they, except that they are peanuts?
"Cracker Jack" is a brand name snack that mixes caramel coated popcorn with caramel coated peanuts, owned by the Frito Lay company, currently.

If you've ever heard "Take me out to the ball-game" before, the snack is mentioned in there, presumably long before it was owned by Frito-Lay. Could somebody go to Wikipedia or somewhere else half-decent and verify this, please? I'm too lazy to get my facts straight right now.

In response to Thuryl's suggestion of adding more peanuts, you just...can't. It's like putting cold (I mean refrigerated very much, so they won't melt quickly) chocolate chips on a warm chocolate-chip cookie. It's not nearly as satisfying. Unless you could find me a bag of caramel-coated peanuts, the addition wouldn't nearly be adequate.

I was interested to see how many people outside of America know what Cracker Jack is. I guess it really is a United-States-centric thing.

ADD: Thanks, Dolphin. I forgot about the prizes. That's what sells them to a lond of people. They come in a two-tone red and blue (Jeez, I just realized the significance of the colors) white paper wrap and are usually cards, stickers, or "holographic" images that shift in the light. The prizes are always flat. I personally preferred the nift dinosaur holograms when I was smaller. I bet if I found one somewhere, it would still smell like peanuts and sugar.

[ Tuesday, June 28, 2005 06:48: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #16
I don't know for sure, but I think I have seen caramel-coated peanuts, but it was another brand. I can't remember. In a week or so, I will go to the US. Maybe I will find out what the cracker-jack is. It sounds delicious.

--------------------

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #17
Actually, in France the standard name is just frites. A potato is known as pomme de terre (literally meaning apple of the ground) but I've never seen the term "pommes frites" anywhere in France, except possibly (and I don't think so) for apple fritters.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
"Actually, in France the standard name is just frites. A potato is known as pomme de terre (literally meaning apple of the ground) but I've never seen the term "pommes frites" anywhere in France, except possibly (and I don't think so) for apple fritters." -- Unpleasantness for its Own Sake

France? I thought we were talking about peanuts. :confused:

-- Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #19
When I went to the zoo when I was a bit younger you used to be able to get bricks of different colored caramelized popcorn with peanuts in them. They were bricks not little chunks of popcorn. You could tear pieces off of them. They had disgusting colors like red, green, and blue. I guess that was why they were so appealing. Just a bit better than cotton candy or carnival food.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #20
There's a running debate taking place here regarding french fries as well, it seems. I remember enjoying Cracker Jacks in my childhood, but I haven't had them in a long time. I'm not much for sweets as a rule.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #21
Cracker Jacks are da filthy. The prizes, not so much.

It's one of those classic foods everyone (in US at least) had growing up. Kinda like Cheerwine. And ice cream.

God bless America...

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #22
By Cracker Jacks do we mean Poppycock? Because that's what carmel covered pocorn is called here.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #23
I think they're just a little bit different, but I'm not absolutely sure.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #24
I haven't had or even consciously seen Cracker Jacks in a long time. But, in response to the question, obviously the popcorn is cheaper than the peanuts, so they have slowly progressed toward more popcorn and less peanuts, hopefully gradual enough that people won't notice.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages