How did you first see or hear about spiderweb games?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How did you first see or hear about spiderweb games?
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #0
I was wondering how the audience for spiderweb software grows by how most people are first introduced to his games. For my part, I first saw one of his games on a cd with a few hundred (says over 300) shareware games I got off the discount rack of a store (the cd was made in 1997, might have been a year later when I bought it but not sure) called Romtech Galaxy of Games 2, which had Exile I on it. It really stood out as being far, far better than any of the other crap on that cd, as this was back when tons of people were making low quality shareware games hoping to make money by saying things like "If you enjoy this game please send me some money" or "If you play this game more than 30 days you need to send me $15 dollars or delete it", despite the fact almost anyone would get very quickly sick of it. By contrast Jeff's idea of letting you play through a large portion of the game normally but needing to register to finish it was quite smart but very uncommon (not that it would work if the game was really bad as most of them were).

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #1
I learned about Exile in a similar fashion, but I was really young then and my parents were stingy with stuff they'd buy me. I re-learned about Spiderweb a some time ago when I was doing a search for highly-rated shareware games for the Macintosh. I still didn't have money for Avernum, so I checked back much later and Avernum 3 was out. I had money to spend this time, and Av3 got me hooked.

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #2
This has been done too many times.

I found SW while searching for quality shareware for Mac. I was more elaborate the other times I answered this, so it's around here somewhere.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 19:35: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I originally acquired the demo of Exile 1 from a software compilation CD that came free with a computer magazine.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #4
I got E3 on a disc back in 98. Came with a ton of other games.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #5
DOUBLE POST. SWEET.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 19:47: Message edited by: Medicine Man ]
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
I found E1 and all the othes at about the same time on some download site.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Was looking on the Internet for Mac games I could play without paying money. Downloaded the A1 demo. The rest is history.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #8
I found E3 on a game disk, installed it and played it. Now I am finally playing 31, so I will be posting less for a while.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #9
I got a Disk with E2, E3 and BoE on it, along with about 997 other shareware games. The rest were mostly total rusbbish, but I got hooked on Exile 3 and Blades of Exile. I registered them, and played for ages. Then I got bored after a bit, the games were really getting old. THen I decided to try out Avernum, and now I have loads of their games!

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Warrior
Member # 5523
Profile #10
I played Exile 2 at a friends house. I thought it was ok. I really got into the Geneforge games though.

--------------------
“Medicine, Law, Business, Engineering - These are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But Poetry, Beauty, Romance, Love-These are what we alive stay for.”
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
Well, I found Exile on a Macworld shareware CD back in 1994 or 1995, but I didn't register a game until Exile III in 1997. And then I was hooked, and snapped up Exile I, Exile II, and BoE.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #12
My little brother brought home a CD with a bunch of shareware games on it. I really didn't think much of it till I found BOE and Exile III on it. I loved the games and spent many long hours in front of my computer playing. I then wanted to see if there were any more games from Spiderweb Software. I eventually ended up on the website where I discovered Exile I and II. I then downloaded Avernum III and BOA. This was about two years ago, and ever since, I'm a loyal fan of Jeff's work.

-- Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #13
I used to get MacWorld magazines regularly and found Geneforge 1 on a CD that came with one of them a few years ago. At first, I didn't really like it, but about 6 months later, I suddenly started liking it, and fiished the demo in several ways. Then I found out about the site and other games, and downloaded the demos of A1, A2, A3, BoA, BoE, E3, Nethergate and GF2. I didn't like any save GF2, so deleted them, finished G2 and started hungering for more RPGs, so I tried B0A and BoE again. Really didn't like BoE, but kept it just in case I feel laike it :D . But I did like BoA so downloaded the A1, 2 and 3 and played them after having finished the BoA demo.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #14
MacAddict... a wonderful magazine, has a monthly shareware disc, and I found A2 on that. I was hooked instantly, and here I am designing for BoA after slashing through A2 & 3.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
My first knowing about spiderweb, was at a site for downloading game demo's. There I found Avernum 3. Because on the site there were such good reviews and such, that I just tried it. I found it very good. After that I played in this order: BoA, Avernum 2 and Avernum 1. After that I played Exile 1, 2 3 and BoE.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
Like Drake, it was back in the mid 90's that I found E1 on a shareware disk. Played the demo until I broke it, then several years later tried it again and then downloaded E3 and bought it.

Then a long darkness fell upon the land until about 2 years ago, when I checked out the website again began the download frenzy.

*this message sponsored by the color blue and the emotion happy*
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #17
The demo of A1 was on a MacAddict CD that my sister got in the mail. Of course, it took her several months to actually let me play it....

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #18
I got it off of a cheap shareware CD too. E2 and E3 were on it, but I played E3 a lot more because E2 still had the old wierd graphics. :/

Later, when we finally got the Internet, I went to the Spiderweb Software website and found BoE, which I don't see how anyone could not enjoy. I once downloaded BoA, but it didn't work on my computer, so whatever. I'll try once I get my own personal computer. Shouldn't be too long, hopefully.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
I heard about E1 from a friend (who was actually talking about telling Dexter "tools," as I recall) and thought nothing of it. Then, a month or two later, I encountered it on a CD with many demos and shoddy freeware games on it, remembered it, and was hooked. The CD wasn't a total waste, I guess.

—Alorael, who never registered E1 due to some mail mixup. He tried registering by mail and then envelope was returned with a message stating that Spiderweb Software was gone. He assumed that "gone" meant "out of business," and by the time he learned otherwise he was more interested in registering Exile 3.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #20
Seems like shareware disks were good for Jeff's business.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
Indeed. I got E3 on a disk back in... 2000/2001 some time. Found the website in summer 2001, proceeded to forget all about it till I got a regular internet connection late in 2002.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #22
I've explained the sequence of events that originally led me here many, many times. Anyway...

I was exploring Download.com's games section around the summer of 2001 when I noticed Avernum 3 and decided to give it a try. I liked the demo very much, and proceeded to acquire the demo versions of A2, A1, GF2, and GF1. The first SW game I purchased was GF2, around the fall of 2003. I found these forums very much by accident while looking around for hints for GF2. The rest, of course, is history.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Seems like shareware disks were good for Jeff's business.
I'll say. I wonder how all those shareware disks find their games. Google search? :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #24
I don't know, but I wonder how many of the disks left out spiderweb games due to large file size (they really seemed to like stuffing as many games as possible onto them to brag about the number), despite the fact that 99% of the programs are just awful, and the few that are decent probably seldom made money either due to not using the clever strategy of the shareware demon blocking your progress a good way through the game.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s

Pages