Differences between countries, cultural and otherwise.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Differences between countries, cultural and otherwise.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #75
quote:
Originally written by Slp006:

If they hadn't died fighting, the world would have a very different power structure today.
The World Wars, if you allow me to be optimistic, did have a positive effect on the prosperity of human society, although it was only a rather small compensation for the unimaginable economical damage: The World Wars have brought many new technologies - and not exclusively related to military. We would not be capable to use computers, let alone communicate to each other with the help of the internet, if the World Wars were not fought. In fact, we probably would barely even have any power, then, since nuclear fission would not yet be discovered.

Can anyone mention a technology invented in the twentieth century, which wasn't discovered because of the World Wars? Strangely, I can't think of any.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #76
If you squint hard enough you can probably make all technologies related to the world wars, because (a) anything that was coming online anyway was exploited, if not accelerated, during the war years, (b) the people and institutions that did war-related research in the 1940's constituted practically the whole population of inventors for the following decades, and (c) it is the nature of practically all technology to be connected, however tenuously, to practically everything else.

But if you don't count all these kinds of trivial connections, I think you'd have to count the following major technologies as essentially unrelated to the world wars:

lasers; nuclear magnetic resonance; liquid crystals; anything involving semiconductors; television; anything remotely genetics-related; personal computing (as opposed to giant mainframes for a few specialized tasks) ...

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #77
Ahh...I come so late into the discussion. Oh well.

The main point of my message is "Speights, Pride of the south since 1876". Ah the fun of it all. The culture of the city I'm just outside of (damn border being 1 km away) is known for student drinking because of Otago university. All those guys do is drink (or so it seems) and I have attended a few partys because a couple of mates of mine go there and they seem to develop a high tolerance for alcahol. I mean, I was keeping pace with them and woke up in a bathroom with the last thing I remember being me doing vodka shots. Oh and I like Speights but I can barely ever afford it, usually going for a couple of bottles of $8 vodka instead. Oh and also drinking age is 18.

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 23:30: Message edited by: Kingy ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #78
18 is the legal drinking age in most countries. I might be a bit out of date here, but in Australia (or Vic at any rate) the legal age is 16, but you can't drink in public. Might be a bit out of date though.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #79
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:
Originally written by VCH:

I've lived my whole life in a dessert.
Wow. I've never met someone who grew up in a pudding before.

Hahaha! I have waited for someone to make that little mistake in years and now finally I get to laugh at it! HAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh, I really recover quickly from my tantrums and sadness, do not I? :D

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #80
In Britain 18 is the legal drinking age. That's not to say that it's widely observed, at least where I live, where going to the pub or going to the cinema are about the only social activities and the range of films we get are very limited. I suspect cracking down on underage drinking is the major police activity before the nightclubs close and the fights start.

That's the situation in the nearest large town to me. In the actual nearest town to my home, the situation is even more boozy. A town with a population that's probably nearer 5000 than 10000 has seven pubs. This makes it great for pub crawls (until you have to walk home 3 miles through a wood in the dark) but it means that the young tend to hang around in the centre of town being thuggish and waiting until they can pass for 18 and a large proportion of the drinking population just goes full steam ahead in the direction of cirrhosis of the liver.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #81
18 is legal drinking age in most countries? It's 21 in the US. Though of course a lot of people break that rule.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #82
Here goes the universal differences between countries if you are from a different country.

1) You look funny.
2) Your currency doesn't make sense.
3) You sound funny.
4) You make gestures I don't understand.
5) Your cooking is different than mine.
6) There is something exotically interesting about you but I just can't place it.
7) I don't understand why I am going to the police station for doing that.
8) Why can't I own this here.
9) How did I insult your political system.
10) You are from where?

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #83
You eat what?!?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #84
quote:
Originally written by Infelice:

18 is the legal drinking age in most countries. I might be a bit out of date here, but in Australia (or Vic at any rate) the legal age is 16, but you can't drink in public. Might be a bit out of date though.
It's 18 in Victoria. As far as I'm aware, it was never 16. However, you can drink alcohol at any age if you're in the company of a parent or legal guardian (although obviously you can't be on licensed premises until you're 18).

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #85
21 seems a bit high for drinking. I bet there' a lot of illegal sales.

Oh and on topic apparently

Cracker Jacks in U.S = Poppycock in Canada

[ Tuesday, June 28, 2005 18:12: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #86
I believe that's a legacy of prohibition.

18 for sales is the norm in most places. I believe in Britain you can have a drink with a meal in a licensed premises provided you're at least 14 and you can drink in the privacy of your own home at five years old or something similarly redundant.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #87
Maybe in western Canada; in the east it was always Cracker Jack, or maybe Crackerjack.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #88
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

21 seems a bit high for drinking. I bet there' a lot of illegal sales.
It's not too uncommon in the U.S. for an underaged individual to procure a fake Driver's License or other form of ID that lists his age as 21 or older. Some of these fakes are quite well-made, and difficult to differentiate from the real thing. Most of the time, though, those who aren't yet 21 just get older friends to make the alcohol purchase for them. Now that I'm finally 21, I'll probably be high in demand for such services once I get back to college.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #89
I think you'll find that in countries where there is an age limit for anything that it is being broken on a regular basis. The basis of governmental prohibition is that the activity is something that is being done already, and a group of people (usually a minority position) wants it banned for religious or ideological reasons. I'm not (hopefully) implying that this is a bad thing, as some of those minority positions are correct and will eventually become the majority.

*this message contains both the wiffle and the waffle*

Pages