Differences between countries, cultural and otherwise.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Differences between countries, cultural and otherwise.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #25
Without getting too specific, I have observed that the biggest difference between countries is the shape of their geopolitical boundary.

Everything else is nuances.

1 - Humans act like they are in charge.
2 - A system of goods exchange has been set up.
3 - A system of arguing has been set up.
4 - A group is in power.
5 - A group wants to be in power.
6 - Leisure activities, level of refinement depends on perceived affluence.
7 - The principle of commons exists.

*this message has been sponsored by the dish, spoon,and fiddle*
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #26
Getting even less specific, I have observed that everything is all the same, except for nuances.

1 - There's some stuff.

:P

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
Sweet!

Also they usually can intercommunicate verbally.

And they look pretty in books. All those colors and stuff. Squiggly lines. Countries are neat!

;)
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #28
Fill me in. Is the Communist party still outlawed in the U.S.? Or was that recently changed?

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #29
I'm pretty sure the US has a communist party, and it's legal, because a while back some newspaper interviewed them about the presidential election(they supported Kerry, mainly because he was Bush's only real opposition). If Communism was illegal, they would probably be in jail, not getting interviewed, and if they were evading arrest through secrecy, they wouldn't be getting interviewed, since bieng interviewed generally isn't something someone does when they're trying to be secretive. Also, I checked google and it turns out that they have a website, and it's big enough that if Communism was illegal, they could use it to track them down.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #30
Communist Party U.S.A.

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Manhood Typing Kelandon:

Aussie football is not soccer, but it looks a heck of a lot closer to rugby than to American football, judging by the first site that Google pops up.
I thought I'd gone on at sufficient length about the sport before for people to get an idea? Oh well, here's another opportunity to rave about my favourite sport. :)

Rugby is a fair bit closer to Gridiron (American football) than it is to Aussie Rules. In Aussie Rules, there is a large oval/circular-shaped field, a lot of players, and not a lot of structure. By that last part, I mean that there are few rules about where the players have to be or when they can pass the ball to. In Rugby, you aren't allowed to pass the ball forward. Aussie Rules, sure thing. This makes it an extremely different game to Rugby. In Rugby, you're trying to carry the ball as far as you can before the guy carrying it is tackled. In Aussie Rules, you can handball over your opponent's head when he tries to tackle you, to your teammate who's running ahead.

The end effect is that Aussie Rules is a very fast, free-flowing sort of game. The ball can travel from one end of the ground to the other (about 150 metres) in a matter of seconds. Nothing more exciting than seeing the ball kicked deep into your team's forward line, and someone taking a big mark. Like this:
IMAGE(http://www.iafc.com.au/schools/mark.jpg)

So hopefully that's given you an idea of the sort of game Aussie Rules is, though obviously not a comprehensive list of rules and stuff.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 17:42: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #32
IMAGE(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:CLXFKXp5kXcJ:depts.loras.edu/sports/mens/football/defact.jpg)
In America, the only objective in football is to somehow wrench the ball from the other team in any way possible or make them run out of down. Then on offense, you either hand it off to a running back who subsequently gets hammered as hard as possible by three 300-pound linemens or you toss it downfield to a sprinting reciever who tries to catch it at all costs. It is rather fun to watch, I think.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #33
Even though Rugby is huge at the high school level in my town I've never liked it. Why would you want to jump all over some other guys? Where as in hockey at least you can smoke a guy but don't have to lay on top of him. Indoor soccer, not futsal which is stupid, is a fun game too basically hockey with a soccer ball.

I am the supreme goaler.

I know these are stupid. But what isn't?

Aussies: Believe you should look out for your mates.
Brits: Believe that you should look out for those people who belong to your club.
Americans: Believe that people should look out for and take care of themselves.
Canadians: Believe that that's the government's job.

Aussies: Are extremely patriotic about their beer.
Americans: Are flag-waving, anthem-singing, and obsessively patriotic to the point of blindness.
Canadians: Can't agree on the words to their anthem, when they can be bothered to sing them.
Brits: Do not sing at all but prefer a large brass band to perform the anthem.

Americans: Seem to think that poverty and failure are morally suspect.
Canadians: Seem to believe that wealth and success are morally suspect.
Brits: Seem to believe that wealth, poverty, success and failure are inherited.
Aussies: Seem to think that none of this matters after several beers.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 18:47: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #34
That actually seems fairly accurate.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #35
It seems, by those criteria, that I am most certainly in the wrong area of the world. Take me to Australia, where I rightfully belong! I'll even switch to Fosters, in good faith. :P

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 20:26: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #36
I can buy that in a second. But it seems now that more and more Americans have grown tired of "every man for himself." A large minority of Americans now believe in the Canadian philosophy: the government should look out for the little man. Many are tired of being tools of the "capitalist" American government and complain about it. Just look at the extreme liberals in the political compass thread.

Personally, I think that life is meant to be difficult, a classless society cannot exist because humans, regardless of culture, are greedy things, and every organized government is bound to anger a lot of people with a certain degree of corruption and an appetite for power. Salmon's philosophy thus also has a point. Humans, across any culture, have a need to complain about any given situation. Hence, we have clashing gubernatorial parties.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 20:49: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #37
We export a lot of Fosters, but not that many of us drink it. VB is more popular in the south, XXXX tends to be the beer of choice in Queensland.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #38
you're kidding. So all of us U.S.'ers are being duped by the ads that say it's Australian for beer?! Your criminal ancestry enables you to have a keen sense of corporate marketing, then! :)

And I mean that in the most lighthearted sense, by the way. Not _yours_ specifically, but the colonial ancestry. And you probably already knew that. So I'll just end this post now and stop eating foot.

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #39
Ha, is that the slogan they use over there?

We have quite a few brands, and you can get Fosters if you want it, but it's nowhere near being the most popular.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #40
Ah, there's something that's cross-cultural. We're all fascinated with things that sound foreign because humans are ethnocentric. All anyone has to do to sell something to another country is make it sound exotic and the blokes will eat it up. An old teacher had a joke that the French sold hose-water in Evian bottles because Americans were so naive.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #41
That's not that surprising really. Especially when you consider things like that many of the most common dishes in Chinese restaurants were actually invented in the US. Also I strongly doubt the typical diet in Mexico resembles food at a Taco Bell.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #42
And what's it like having everyone say the capital of Australia is Sydney? Canberrans are probably very irritated at this, I imagine, right?

Addition: Yeah. Taco Bell stuff is completely American. Mexican tacos, from what I hear, are now much less like the original Mexican Taco and more like the American stuff to please tourists.

And what does everyone think about people from the United States trying to own a continent (or two, since there is a South America as well)?

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 21:16: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #43
They do complain about it a bit, but they have no right to. I've had many conversations since I got here that went something like this:

"Oh, you're new here! Where do you come from?"

"South Australia."

"Hey, I have a cousin who lives in Adelaide too!"

"...there's a lot of South Australia that isn't Adelaide, you know."

I heard this story once about some Aussies travelling overseas. They got chatting with this American, and then he found out they were from Australia.

"So whereabouts in Australia do you live?"

"Adelaide."

"What's the closest big city to that, so I can get an idea of where it is?"

"..."

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #44
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

We export a lot of Fosters, but not that many of us drink it. VB is more popular in the south, XXXX tends to be the beer of choice in Queensland.
Well, er, in that case, um, I'll just acquire a taste for all three! Yes!

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #45
quote:
Originally written by Slp006:

And what does everyone think about people from the United States trying to own a continent (or two, since there is a South America as well)?
Well maybe that originated as it would be aquard to say "United Statesian"

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

Well, er, in that case, um, I'll just acquire a taste for all three! Yes!
By the time you've had one of each type (we also have Carlton, West End, etc...) you'll have had a big night out. :D

Speaking of which, the one thing that I've noticed about Canberra as opposed to other parts of Australia, apart from the number of bureaucrats and the wonky roads, is the booze. Every supermarket I've been to here has had a significant portion devoted to alcohol, sometimes as much as 25% of the shop. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 21:29: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

"So whereabouts in Australia do you live?"

"Adelaide."

"What's the closest big city to that, so I can get an idea of where it is?"

"..."

Bear in mind that many Americans would see nothing wrong with the statement, "I'm going to drive to Australia."

Even the geographically sound ones can only name about three or four cities in Australia. I'm having some trouble coming up with them myself. We love how exotic Australia seems ("They talk funny!") and how far away it is (Southern Hemisphere, which makes Americans think of toilets flushing), as well as the odd animals ("Dingos ate my baby!"), but we don't know anything.

Actually, that goes for our relationship with just about every country in the world. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #48
Wow. Life in Canberra must be really difficult if alcohol sells so well.

Yeah, Kel. And if we think Australians talk funny, imagine what we think of the Far East! United Statesian ethnocentrism irritates me to no end. It makes me feel like the world's trailer trash. I picture a guy with a shotgun standing atop the Statue of Liberty saying "Git orf mah proporty, dang ferriners!" I can't help but laugh at the irony of that scenario.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 21:37: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Slp006:

Wow. Life in Canberra must be really difficult if alcohol sells so well.

Yeah, Kel. And if we think Australians talk funny, imagine what we think of the Far East! United Statesian ethnocentrism irritates me to no end. It makes me feel like the world's trailer trash. I picture a guy with a shotgun standing atop the Statue of Liberty saying "Git orf mah proporty, dang ferriners!" I can't help but laugh at the irony of that scenario.

That is pretty much how we picture most Americans. I'm at least pleased that the stereotypes associated with my country are tough and hard-working and loyal. I wish Steve Irwin would stop trying to ruin that, but still.

Canberra is not my favourite place. Mind, I'm naturally predjudiced against cities of any kind, but it's cold, it's easy to get lost, and it's full of politicians. Maybe that gets to everyone else, too.

EDIT: Also, we probably only HAVE three or four of what Americans would call cities. Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Brisbane are the only ones with more than a million people. Canberra has 300,000.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 21:49: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.

Pages