Differences between countries, cultural and otherwise.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Differences between countries, cultural and otherwise.
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #50
I still like Steve Irwin. He's insane. Insanity happens to be very entertaining to me. I never believed that all Australians were as crazy as he, that would be something tantamount to comparing all Americans to Michael Jackson or George W. Bush.

Politicians get me, and so does the cold, but I've grown up in a place where the two seasons are wet and dry. It's usually quite warm, here.

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Slp006:

Politicians get me, and so does the cold, but I've grown up in a place where the two seasons are wet and dry. It's usually quite warm, here.
Same here. I grew up on a station in outback Queensland, and we could go for half a year without seeing a cloud.

So if anyone has questions about the funny animals, I can usually answer them from experience. :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #52
quote:
As originally written by Ash et al
guy with a shotgun standing atop the Statue of Liberty saying "Git orf mah proporty, dang ferriners!" I can't help but laugh at the irony of that scenario.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is pretty much how we picture most Americans.
Um, substiture .30/06 for the shotgun. I'm sure ben would agree with me on that one (and only that one.)

*this message sponsored by range, and shotguns dont have it*
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #53
Oh, right. Sorry about that. I forgot that shot spreads and becomes useless at long range.

Still, though, we might be dumb enough to try shooting from that far away with a shotgun. It's funnier that way, I think.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

EDIT: Also, we probably only HAVE three or four of what Americans would call cities. Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Brisbane are the only ones with more than a million people. Canberra has 300,000.
Eh, in Montana anything over 1,000 is quite the city. ;)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #55
quote:

And if we think Australians talk funny, imagine what we think of the Far East!
I'd respond, but I don't think I'm the target audience...

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #56
I have only one important thing to say in this topic:

quote:
"There are way more similiarities between different cultures than there are differences. Let's not fight over the differences when we can explore our similiarities." -Majordan, 45 yo Battlefield player.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #57
Similiarities between people are boring though. :(

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #58
quote:
"There are way more similiarities between different cultures than there are differences. Let's not fight over the differences when we can explore our similiarities." -Majordan, 45 yo Battlefield player.
Observation of cultural similarities is interesting an extent. You only really begin to learn about other cultures when you are able to appreciate their differences.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #59
quote:

Wow. Life in Canberra must be really difficult if alcohol sells so well.
Sounds to me as if life in Canberra is probably damn fun, actually. All a matter of viewpoint, I suppose. :P

As for the weather, I could certainly handle it. I've lived my entire life in the "Windy City," after all.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 16:48: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #60
I've lived my whole life in a dessert.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #61
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

I've lived my whole life in a dessert.
Wow. I've never met someone who grew up in a pudding before.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #62
IIRC, I'm probably the only active yellow man here.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #63
fz is of Chinese descent and intermittently active on these forums. So is Dragyn Bob.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #64
Is everyone happy with the cultures they were born into? Generally speaking, I'm fine with being a typical Anglo-American, but sometimes I wish I wasn't. My own people can be horrendously stupid. Often. :P

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 19:13: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #65
I don't consider myself responsible for the actions of other people who happen to share my approximate geographic location, and I'm generally able to find and associate with people who find me mostly inoffensive, so I don't really have any feelings about my "culture" one way or the other.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #66
Being anti-society and borderline pathological, I have found that my reactions toward my culture have to focus more on yogurt and less on the freaks with whom I share this region of the planet. Otherwise the self-appointed persons of authority may wise up to me and place me in more confining quarters.

So yes, I guess I am happy having been born into a culture that allows such rage against itself to go unchecked for so long.

*this message is the bicentennial celebration of the first message*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #67
quote:

Is everyone happy with the cultures they were born into?
I am. My culture is footy, pies and beer. After the game, go and get pissed.

Great.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #68
I live in Flanders, which lies in Belgium. This small, overpopulated country lies in the heart of Europe, between the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and the Netherlands. Its capital is Brussels.

Flanders, which is the most crowded place in Europe, is extremely flat. Outside the city, your sight is barely obstructed by anything.

Flanders also has a very fluctuating and wet climate; The temperature often drops more than ten degrees in a few days.

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 01:03: Message edited by: Odious ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #69
And of course, it's also internationally famous for having lots of dead people in it.

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 03:15: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #70
Hmmm; does the number of war dead in Flanders really amount to a large fraction of the peace dead? I mean, Flanders has been densely populated for ages, and by now essentially everyone who lived through WWI is dead, so right there you've probably got the war dead badly outnumbered.

It's the thing I find saddest about WWI, and its great commemoration on Nov 11, is that all our talk of remembrance is utterly vain. All those young dead guys are long gone now, and their impact has long faded even in death statistics. They themselves would mostly have been dead by now anyway. The enduring and enormous loss is all that they might have done, had they lived; but what that might have been, we will never know.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #71
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Hmmm; does the number of war dead in Flanders really amount to a large fraction of the peace dead?
Perhaps not. On the other hand, Westminster Abbey doesn't have a very large number of dead people in it in either absolute or relative terms, but it's still famous for them.

quote:
It's the thing I find saddest about WWI, and its great commemoration on Nov 11, is that all our talk of remembrance is utterly vain. All those young dead guys are long gone now, and their impact has long faded even in death statistics. They themselves would mostly have been dead by now anyway. The enduring and enormous loss is all that they might have done, had they lived; but what that might have been, we will never know.
Well, most of the people who lived long and eventful lives and then died have been largely forgotten too. In the long run, it's probably for the best; there comes a point where one has to dedicate one's time to issues of more immediate relevance.

Personally, I don't really care about how I'm remembered, since I won't be around to enjoy it (or in the event that I am, I'll have either much better or much worse ways to occupy my time than hanging around at my own funeral). So I figure that if at least a few people don't attend my funeral purely to defile my grave, I've probably wasted my life.

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 05:07: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #72
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:
It's the thing I find saddest about WWI, and its great commemoration on Nov 11, is that all our talk of remembrance is utterly vain. All those young dead guys are long gone now, and their impact has long faded even in death statistics.

Those words are a little harsh. I fail to see how their impact has faded, personally. If they hadn't died fighting, the world would have a very different power structure today. WW I is one of the more important scars of human history, and I really think those who gave up their lives in that war fighting for a cause ought to be remembered as long as there's military strife in the world. That way we minimize the chances of it happening for a third time. :P . We have to remember all of the dead in WW 1, otherwise the fools of the planet will forget how bad it really was and cause history to repeat itself over and over and over and...

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 05:10: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #73
My culture is boring. So I just do whatever I feel like. I mean - doesn't everyone?

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #74
Hmmm. Thuryl and Slp006 have actually swayed me, or maybe just made me realize that my own feelings have shifted more than I realized. (That's not to discount their influence; I think this is about the only way that people do influence each other with brief communications.)

More than ten years ago now, I was an officer in the Canadian army reserve, and regularly had to attend or participate in Remembrance Day activities (where of course McRae's poem about the dead in Flanders fields was always read). And I also usually got dinged by my church to stand up front on the nearest Sunday, and somehow represent a lot of people who had given far more than I had, a very long time before.

I always hated the whole thing, because it seemed so false. I never remotely knew any of the people we kept saying that we would remember, and no-one would ever remember their grandchildren, whom I might have known.

Since then, though, I guess I've grown older, and begun to recognize the limitations of my own life. Though the lives of those ancient young soldiers were short, perhaps they did have at least as much lasting impact as anyone can expect. And they are not cut off from posterity by the uniqueness of their grief, for (and this is perhaps what I realized less ten years ago) such grief is with us still.

I expect to spend my next November 11 in Germany. That will be different, and I expect, even sadder.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00

Pages