Your gift or talent

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Your gift or talent
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #75
If you knew that the diagnosis was hindering you, then why didn't you try to get on the track you wanted to sooner, or at least have someone help you beat the system if you were trapped?

Based on personal experience, a diagnosis of anything, physical or mental, better enables the individual to understand his or her own quirks, and usually allows the "professionals" to better help with psychological or medical treatment. Still, it sucks that you were bullied and labelled as a researcher because of your AS. I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by considerate people who would not poke fun at my inability to walk correctly due to Cerebral Palsy.

Oh, right. Talents! ;) . I enjoy writing, and some people have said my work is good, and others have said it's horrible. I tend to think more towards the latter on any given day, but optimism isn't one of my talents for sure.
I've also got a good memory. I don't forget much. It helped during high school, for sure.
I'm a proud nerd too. Geeks unite! :cool:

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #76
Ahh, the $200 a month apartment. I've lived in a couple of those... The first was in the back of a house. In the front was a prosthetic limbs and teeth business. On the side was a whorehouse. You could hear rock music all night long. The actual back yard was a an avant garde metal sculptors workshop. It was actually kind of cool in an odd sort of way. The second was in a communal type house thingie. They kicked me out at the end of the first year. I drank sometimes (a very forbidden thing for some people) and ate all the food. (That is not why I was kicked out. :P

Now I live in a nice quiet neighborhood with old people with dogs, big gardens, play grounds, camrys, audis, and volkswagens, and am content.

By the way, I have been diagnosed as being sane which I don't understand at all.

My talent is an ability to absorb lots of information at a fast pace and pay attention. I pay a lot more attention than a lot of people.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #77
quote:
Originally written by Slp006:

If you knew that the diagnosis was hindering you, then why didn't you try to get on the track you wanted to sooner, or at least have someone help you beat the system if you were trapped?

Based on personal experience, a diagnosis of anything, physical or mental, better enables the individual to understand his or her own quirks, and usually allows the "professionals" to better help with psychological or medical treatment. Still, it sucks that you were bullied and labelled as a researcher because of your AS. I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by considerate people who would not poke fun at my inability to walk correctly due to Cerebral Palsy.

No one would listen to me. That is why it took me 5 years to get off all the crap. I was though the only one who was able to get off at all, though. I was still bullied though, the people around was the same as before and they had not mellowed much at all.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #78
My experience is that once a person has been placed in a stereotype (ie. through race, religion, brains, genetic differences) it is all but impossible to change that perception away from the stereotype. It may have something to do with the need to explain things by using similes. Strange circumstances are therefor grouped together under larger and more familiar headings.

It would seem that that the only way to avoid that situation is to be intimately aware of either a person, cognizant of all varieties of behaviour (and misbehaviour), or so completely open-minded that preconceptions don't exist. I feel the last situation would put a person at a competative disadvantage.

Huh, well that was random. I guess what I meant in all that was it would be almost impossible to "escape" once you have been classified in some manner (as has happened to ADoS and Eagle.) An escape method that is being used by Eagle is to distance himself from the people that label him, and hopefully he can create a stigma of his own choosing for this new location.

*this message may have been partially funded by two well heeled candidates for moderator*
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #79
quote:
Originally written by Marx' Martyr:

My talent is procreation. Special thanks to your mom for facilitating this.

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I thought that was TM's talent.
More like "the exact size and shape of a blimp with a human attached at the fellow's groin." But if you want to quantify me by my member only, then I suppose you're right on the money.

This is not necessary. More posts in this vein, and you're gone.

And your earlier post on the first page is similarly unnecessarily obscene.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #80
Questions for Alorael about shooting:
How much shooting do you do? Do you do it competitively? What caliber?

I'm quite a mediocre shot, but sometimes I have good days. Or had, back in my army reserve days. I don't know if it is right to call shooting a sport, but it is definitely a skill.
Small targets at 300 yards are not easy, even without the scribbane.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #81
Shooting is a sport, chess is a sport, CS is an extreme sport. Anything can be called a sport if you can develope a skill in it. Really odd sports are called extreme sports and that is the category where CS, skate boarding and such are placed.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #82
Counterstrike is most definitely not a sport.

EDIT: And neither is chess. It can be a competitive activity, but a sport must involve physical exertion.

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 09:05: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #83
Ever castled queenside? Whew! The pain. Most of the old chess injuries that still bother me come from that. They don't abbreviate it 'O-O-O' for nothing.

Really, it's just not right that chess doctors simply stitch you up, pump you with novocaine, and send you right back in to enfilade your bishops. Chess careers are short, and to see all the ex-grandmasters crippled at 30, I don't know how those quacks can reconcile it with their Hippocratic oaths, I really don't.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #84
Shooting's definitely a sport. Then again, if we count a sport as anything the IOC accepts, then so is dressage. I'm perfectly willing to count it as an exception which can be fairly squarely blamed on the British aristocracy and their inexplicable fondness for horses. If you take a legalistic view, however, then one can argue that chess has as much physical exertion as dressage. I'm perfectly willing to be contradicted, since I've never ridden a horse so I can't tell you how much effort it takes, but it certainly looks like the major challenge in dressage is maintaining concentration and the will to live.

I'd also argue that whilst Counterstrike might not be a sport in the traditional sense of the term, it's a competitive activity where proficiency is dependency on speed, hand-eye co-ordination and strategy and so it's largely equivalent to a sport.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #85
I can... kick myself in the face... Without using my arms.

AND, I can 'edit' games, giving me massive stat increases :)
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #86
Kicking with the foot? Your flexibility impresses me. During a really boring spell last summer I taught myself to knee myself in the face, but even then I had to make sure to lean at exactly the right angle to make contact. Really, really boring spell. Do you just not have knees or something?

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #87
My sister can kick herself in the face. Well, she could if she tried. I've seen her touch her foot to her head in several different ways.

--------------------
====
====
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #88
Kicking yourself in the face isn't much of a talent Drakey.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #89
It's might not be a useful talent, but it's not as easy as you might think. You'd need to be insanely flexible and you'd have to curb your national urge to flinch as your foot approaches your face.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #90
I'm more than flexible enough, but I'd rather not cause myself pain just for the sake of doing it.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #91
Cause pain? You just have to gently touch your face. Same thing.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #92
I can make my foot touch my face. Not with my leg straight, mind you, but I can do it.

I like playing golf, although the only golf related thing I am good at is driving the carts.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #93
quote:
Originally written by ben III:

Cause pain? You just have to gently touch your face. Same thing.
It would take a little momentum to "kick" yourself in the face, so a light touch would be stretching rather than kicking.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #94
From a sitting position, I can touch most of my foot to my head pretty easily. I'm not going to try it standing up, because tearing a muscle in my groin isn't my idea of a fun weekend.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #95
I can kick a good distance above my head, but I can't get to my face. I'm only freakishly flexible when it comes to limbo. The only time I can remember losing was against a girl who looked more than a foot shorter than me.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.

Pages