THE GREAT DEBATE, PART III

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: THE GREAT DEBATE, PART III
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #0
I'm tired of waiting for Stugie.

Who wants to get involved in a one-on-one debate? Pick the topic you'd like to tangle over. :)

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #1
I'll do it. I'm up for a challenge. I doubt I will be any good, though.

What about the Michael Jackson verdict? I'm all for him being guilty. If you are also, what about Schapelle Corby? Innocent. If you agree, you can pick one.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
I have not much hope for this debate. I will watch what follows, however.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #3
Hmm. No, that would not be a good debate. I'd prefer to actually consider an issue and its moral implications than simply argue over what actually happened in one particular case that has nothing to do with me or you.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #4
I will take you any day of the week, provided we disagree.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #5
Sure. How about drug regulation?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #6
Sounds like a winner. Your position?

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #7
My apologies again for not following through, Ash. Just wasn't ready for such a posting commitment, with the limited time available to me in the few weeks before finals, and my subsequent limited internet access during summer break. Once I head back to Champaign in the fall, that will all change, and I will perhaps be ready to take part in that long-neglected debate. Now, I'll get out of the way and allow you gentlemen to get to it.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Sure. How about drug regulation?
That would be an interesting debate to watch, because I am not sure what to think about this issue. I could see it going either way. So you'll have at least one spectator who is ready to be convinced by either side.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #9
I'm curious - is this all drugs, or just prohibited/thoroughly-controlled drugs?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #10
This one could easily be a three-way: One person for legalization, another for decriminalization, and another for illegalization. Just a thought. (Of course, since Alec will be the former and got here first, I can't really participate. :P )

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #11
I'm certainly for free flow of all drugs. Regulated and sold by the government.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #12
Legalization v. decriminalization? I'm missing the distinction here. Perhaps you mean decriminalization v. legalization w/ heavy regulation v. illegality?

I think this would be a great topic for everyone to participate in - as far as I know, the Bible is mum as far as this issue goes. :D Still, I will bow to the participants and watch.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Legalization v. decriminalization? I'm missing the distinction here.
Legalization = No legal reprecussions for use

Decriminalization = Minimal, non-penal reprecussions for use

(The difference is that the latter still means that mary jane is illegal, you just won't get sent to pork-me-up-the-ass prison for a few years for taking a whiff of it is all. Canada, for reference, has decriminalized marijuana.)

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5881
Profile #14
Why not debate over giving a name to a vehicle you drive? Like calling your Ford Ranger: Walker. Or Corsica: Camilla. ?
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #15
EDIT: w00t! Too mean.

[ Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:21: Message edited by: Drew ]
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #16
I'm all for legalization of MOST narcotic substances. MJ, for instance, is actually safer than cigarettes in most, if not all, ways. Hallucinogens such as acid and shrooms are also safe for the most part if not used in large quantitys, although some trips are not for the better. Crack is just pointless. I don't see how anyone not aiming for suicide or permanent mental deficiency would even consider doing it. Same way with heroin.

[ Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:30: Message edited by: EM ]

--------------------
I am the apidimy of seven sausages.
The Abyss DEAD.
TEH EVOL STRAWBERY When fruit fights back.
End of World We're definitely going to blow ourselves up.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Emasculated Grotto:

quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Legalization v. decriminalization? I'm missing the distinction here.
Legalization = No legal reprecussions for use

Decriminalization = Minimal, non-penal reprecussions for use

(The difference is that the latter still means that mary jane is illegal, you just won't get sent to pork-me-up-the-ass prison for a few years for taking a whiff of it is all. Canada, for reference, has decriminalized marijuana.)

Are you saying that in case of decriminalization it's still illegal, but everybody does it anyway and poliece ignores it? That sounds like the worst possible course of action. Legalized, while heavily regulated, makes sence as a compromize, but illegal with everybody doing it sounds like both sides are the losers.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
With decriminalisation, you can be fined and have the drug confiscated but can't be given a criminal conviction or a prison sentence for possession alone. Basically, you could say that under decriminalisation, possession is illegal but it's not a crime. The main point of it is to free up the legal system for more important cases and also to avoid giving people criminal convictions, which are generally a pretty big thing to have on your record (preventing you working in certain occupations, etc.)

But anyway, this isn't our debate.

[ Wednesday, June 15, 2005 14:32: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
There's too much money in drugs for the government not to be in on the deal. Sell it, tax it, whatever, imagine the funding increases.

edit: This is supposed to be between only two people right?

[ Wednesday, June 15, 2005 18:31: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
Hm... that's a good point. Might even have an impact on the deficit. And you'd get less strain on police everywhere, with fewer drug busts to carry out.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #21
I would consider arguing here... but since you guys use such advanced english, I will stay out. Otherwise I know a bunch about drugs since I studied about the matter heavily for a while ago. Curious how spiders react on drugs? Check this link out: http://www.cannabis.net/weblife.html

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by CSTR.:

Sounds like a winner. Your position?
I'm for outright banning. I realize that there's certainly disadvantages to that approach, but all in all, I think it's probably the best option.

I think it's worth comparing pot (illegal) with tobacco (legal). I know many, many smokers. I've probably met a few potheads, but only a couple who have openly admitted it. Even allowing that there are probably a lot more of the latter category than I'm aware of, they are still outnumbered by a pretty big margin. If marijuana was legalized, one can only assume that a lot more people would get hooked on the stuff.

So it's basically that I support banning of drugs because it works, to some degree at least. Of course, if you're going to argue that they should be legalized because people should be allowed to stick whatever they like into their own bodies, then that's a different issue entirely.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #23
While we are waiting for Alec's reply, could you (or somebody else) post some actual statistics about drug usage rates for pot and more dangerous drugs in the countries where pot is legal, decriminalized, and illegal.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
Also, you may as well clarify whether there are any presently legal drugs you'd like to see banned as well.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages