A Picture is Worth...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Picture is Worth...
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #0
I know we all come across pictures from time to time that illustrate a concept far more eloquently than can be put in words. I saw this pictures the other day and after reading the accompanying article realized just how apt the picture was in this case.
IMAGE(http://news.bostonherald.com/images/localRegional/suspect06082005.jpg)
So I present it to you, sans description, in the sincere belief that even the most innocent among us will instinctively know the story behind the face.

If it happens that you can't imagine the real story, or want the verification, follow this link.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Heh, he reminds me of some weirdo kid at our school for a while. He dropped out halfway through the year, though.

His mohawk was even worse though. :/

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #2
What exactly are you trying to get across Smoked Salmon? There are probably hundreds of others in the world with a similar look, most of which have done nothing out of the ordinary...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
That image, to me, calls to mind an unstable person capable (not necessarily culpable) of great bodily harm. And in this particular case it may prove to be the correct impression.

I'm sure there are other pictures out there (for instance a mushroom cloud) that have a similar impact to people. That is what I was asking about. If this isn't a topic, then I apologise and would expect a mod to excise it from the record. Otherwise, its just a crazy picture with an equally crazy story behind it.
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #4
that pic reminds me of sum guy i knew

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 17:13: Message edited by: Ice Drake ]

--------------------
polaris c'mon you know you want to
Avernum4 Averforge
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
A mushroom cloud is a sign of a bomb going off. It definitely shows bad things happening. This guy in the picture has startling wide eyes and a bizarre hairstyle. That doesn't necessarily make him a crazy murderer. Most murderers look ordinary (because lunatics who look crazy have short careers) and most people who look weird aren't more than a little bit weird.

—Alorael, who doesn't think appearance profiling is any more valid or productive than racial profiling. "Driving with mohawk" isn't any more criminal than driving while black. Carrying around a chainsaw, a sword, and other armaments is a much better sign of criminal intent.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #6
You must not like bieng around Renaissance festivals.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #7
Looks like he got a swirly, to me.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by None of Us:

"Driving with mohawk" isn't any more criminal than driving while black.
You're right. It's much less reprehensible.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #9
quote:

Carrying around a chainsaw, a sword, and other armaments is a much better sign of criminal intent.
Don't forget sniper rifles ;)

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #10
No, no, here's what happened:

That kid just got out of the shower in the locker room, put his clothes on, and went out. But then he remembered that he forgot his gym shoes on the bench. So he rushes back down, not realizing that the sign on the locker room he's entering has the sign "Girls" on it. This is the moment in which he realizes his mistake via noticing a hot chick who has not yet finished showering.

Any other good inferences?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

quote:

Carrying around a chainsaw, a sword, and other armaments is a much better sign of criminal intent.
Don't forget sniper rifles ;)

I saw a man who strangely was looking like Alorael with a silenced sniper rifle and pockets filled to the tops with ammo and cartridges.

Hmm... Perhaps it was Alorael! :eek:

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #12
o_o From where do you know how Alorael is looking like?

:) That Despres-weirdo would make a cute dialog picture.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
I can think of several explanations for this one, but they would be all wrong.

The background story is GONE.

Edit - A picture that got away, I should have found a more stable source.

[ Sunday, June 12, 2005 21:11: Message edited by: Smoked Salmon ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Smoked Salmon:

I know we all come across pictures from time to time that illustrate a concept far more eloquently than can be put in words. I saw this pictures the other day and after reading the accompanying article realized just how apt the picture was in this case.
IMAGE(http://news.bostonherald.com/images/localRegional/suspect06082005.jpg)
So I present it to you, sans description, in the sincere belief that even the most innocent among us will instinctively know the story behind the face.

If it happens that you can't imagine the real story, or want the verification, follow this link.

Isn't that the chainsaw killer?

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #15
It has the disturbing look of one of those photoshop images where one half of the face is flipped and pasted back to make a too-symmetrical image.

--------------------
I am a pale shadow of the previous self.
quote:

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #16
Although its not symetrical. Look at the hair, you might notice a difference.

EDIT: Speeling

[ Tuesday, June 14, 2005 01:29: Message edited by: SprungSpring ]

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
But it's still far more symmetrical than it should be. This is partly due to that weird hair, and partly because of the "frontal mugshot" perspective.

Also, the face is disturbingly broad, which also makes it look pieced together. If I didn't know better, I'd say this were a police phantom picture assembled from a description, not a real photo.

Edit:

I hereby move that this picture be included in the unofficial list of pictures used to close threads, alongside Mango and William Thomas Fletcher. It certainly has the potential, no?

[ Tuesday, June 14, 2005 04:03: Message edited by: 2984 ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #18
This is probably my favorite picture that says it all better than any story could:

IMAGE(http://www.saao.ac.za/~wpk/gallery/signs/shcool.jpg)

It cracks me up every time I see it. :)
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #19
I think he's scary, but I say that because his expression is very cold and lacks empathy.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #20
The nose doesn't look very symmetrical either.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
IMAGE(http://berkshireeagle.mycapture.com/PHOTOS/BERK/41847/10658392T.jpg)

Shcool's [sic] out for the summer, so they let in the animals?
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #22
That picture is not symmetrical. The fringe has a 'hole' on the left side (His left is your right.), his shirt is slanting to the right (reverse, again!) and the shadow falls to the right below his cheek. Notice that the degree of his face is also slightly turned left (Approximately 5-10 degrees).

I wonder what he's thinking though. He looks very influenced by ecstacy and amfetamin or perhaps he just saw his mother die just as the picture was taken.

The crowd said:
:P :eek: :confused: :o :( ;) :cool: :rolleyes:

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #23
His eyes speak terror, not bloodlust.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #24
Trying to diagnose someone's mental state from one single picture is merely an updated, less scientific and rather more moronic version of phrenology.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality

Pages