What's your sex?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What's your sex?
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #125
I have studied at, worked at, or visited quite a number of different institutions over the past twenty years. After a few too many years in post-doctoral research, this year I have been an adjunct lecturer at three different Boston-area colleges. In September I'll be a professor at a good but (to Americans) obscure university in Germany.

At no point have I actually been affiliated with any institution calling itself 'Trinity'. The moniker is whimsical.

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 08:14: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #126
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

My title's a section of Turing tape. What's Turing tape, you ask? Well, it's what you use when you need to ture things to each other, of course.
That explains why Thuryl knows so many facts! He just reads them off his infinite tape. :)

For those who don't know what Turing tape is, it's an infinite tape used to store data by a Turing machine. (Turing machine is a logical device that works like a computer. Or, rather, computer is one of the practical examples of a Turing machine-like device.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #127
Infinite? How do they store it all?

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #128
In theory. :)

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 10:01: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #129
quote:
Originally written by EviL_TiM:

Infinite? How do they store it all?
That's why you could never build a true Turing machine in reality. However, it's still useful to computer scientists to study how real computers work.

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 10:00: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #130
I swear this rotten computer I'm using right now must be a Turing machine, and a Turing machine with a sticky tape at that. Either that, or the grinding sounds it constantly makes are from beads sliding around inside.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #131
It's probably just the hamster trying to gnaw his way out, having become fed up with powering the device on his wheel.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #132
Ah, shees, I bet you're right. I really should have asked something when the sales guy seemed to snicker about the mouse, but no, I figured, It's Built on NT Technology, so it must be okay.

Guess I just have to wait until the coming surge of Indian computer technology puts little boxes with urdu keyboards and terahertz clock speeds on all our desks for the price of a dozen chai lattes.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #133
Before that it's likely that your computer will simply be a fast modem connection and a screen. All actual processing will be outsourced to hamsters and wheels in foreign countries where PETA's controls are weak and hamsters can be forced to run 18 hours a day for food barely sufficient to sustain life.

—Alorael, who feels more educated after reading the last few posts in this thread. Now the ture has transferred from occult to common culture. The question now is what severs the oc. Was it perhaps commandeered by a certain television series?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #134
At least those hamsters will have food. Think about all those jobless Indian hamsters that have to try scratching out a living in the fields. Dire indeed.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #135
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

Does the "10010" signify anything?
Random binary data getting written onto the tape. I doubt the binary digits themselves have any meaning, except the implication that they represent raw data crammed tightly into his mind.

I did wonder what his title meant, though, at an rate.

EDIT: Oof, yikes, missed a page.

quote:
Origianlly written by Zeviz:
That's why you could never build a true Turing machine in reality. However, it's still useful to computer scientists to study how real computers work.

Sure you can. You can make one that's infinitely writable but does not have infinite storage. It simply overwrites what was on that particualar spot on the tape beforehand with the new data, while another device on the other side of the wheels reads the data as it comes around and writes them on more sohisticated SATA RAID 0 hard drives that can store pretty much anything you want.

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 15:33: Message edited by: BF7 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #136
Eventually you'll run out of hard drives. There's only so much matter in the universe.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #137
w00t!

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 17:02: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #138
If that were true, I would argue that there is only a finite amount of data in a universe with a finite amount of matter, and that one would run out of information to write onto harddrives before one would run out of matter to make harddrives.

If you went the other route with an infinate universe, there will always be more data but there will always be more matter because of the very nature of infinity.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #139
The universe is a sphere so is not infinite.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #140
quote:
Originally written by Jewels of the Forest:

If that were true, I would argue that there is only a finite amount of data in a universe with a finite amount of matter, and that one would run out of information to write onto harddrives before one would run out of matter to make harddrives.
Not at all. Write a program to calculate the digits of pi. Store its output. Eventually you run out of places to store it, so you can't store the answer to an unlimited degree of precision even if there are no limits on your program's ability to keep on calculating.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #141
quote:

Not at all. Write a program to calculate the digits of pi. Store its output. Eventually you run out of places to store it, so you can't store the answer to an unlimited degree of precision even if there are no limits on your program's ability to keep on calculating.
You could compress the data quite well, though :P

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #142
I suppose if in all it's infinity it never starts to repeat... Knowing how mathmatical divisions start to repeat, I would expect it to, though since pi has been calculated out past it's trillionth number and has not been reported to repeat as of yet I have some doubt that it ever would. Then again, one trillion in the scope of infinity is barely a drop in the bucket, even a google is only a drop in comparison. So who is to say that it will never repeat? It has an 'infinate' number of chances to.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #143
In fact, a google or a trillion for all intents and purposes are infinitely small drops in the bucket of infinity. :) Don't tell the Indian hamsters that, though.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #144
There is a proof that the digits of pi will never repeat, really never. I do not know the proof, but I believe it.

The universe is not a sphere. There is a chance that it is spatially a three-sphere, but if I remember rightly, this can be merely a matter of how you look at it. (That is, current evidence supports an open universe, which is roughly like de Sitter space, which I think can be represented as spatially open or closed depending on co-ordinate choice.)

Seth Lloyd, a professor at MIT, wrote a paper a few years ago (which I think was published in Nature) on the ultimate physical limits to computing. Anyone who is interested could probably dig it up on the physics e-print archive.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #145
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

In fact, a google or a trillion for all intents and purposes are infinitely small drops in the bucket of infinity. :) Don't tell the Indian hamsters that, though.
Google is the best search engine made.

A "googol" is a term for the number 10 raised to the 100th power.

Just though I'd point that out. ;)

My point, though, was there is more than enough ways to store any and all the data humans could hope to create at the present point. Well, meaningful data, anyway.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #146
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

There is a proof that the digits of pi will never repeat, really never. I do not know the proof, but I believe it.
Only rational numbers can be expressed as a repeating decimal. I should imagine proving pi is irrational is dead easy (much easier than proving it's transcendental, which, as you know, means that besides being inexpressible as a fraction with integer numerator and denominator, it also can't be expressed as the root of an integer polynomial (e.g. a square root, a cube root, etc.) That pi is transcendental has also been proven, but it's harder and not necessary in this case.)

There are many pretty simple proofs for the irrationality of pi, but they mostly involve calculus. Here's one. I can't vouch for it on account of not having had the time to take it apart, but here it is:

http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~hr/numb/pi-irr.html

quote:
Seth Lloyd, a professor at MIT, wrote a paper a few years ago (which I think was published in Nature) on the ultimate physical limits to computing. Anyone who is interested could probably dig it up on the physics e-print archive.
Think I read something vaguely like that in New Scientist. Essentially there are limits to what's computable given a computer that it's actually physically possible to build in this universe. The upshot is that we're never going to be able to solve the protein folding problem by looking at every possible conformation that a protein can fall into and finding the most stable.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #147
quote:
Originally written by BF7:

Google is the best search engine made.

A "googol" is a term for the number 10 raised to the 100th power.

Just though I'd point that out. ;)

Wow, I guess you sure showed me on my spelling error there. Way to go.

quote:
My point, though, was there is more than enough ways to store any and all the data humans could hope to create at the present point. Well, meaningful data, anyway.
That's great, but it isn't infinite, which was the original point.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #148
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

quote:

You could compress the data quite well, though :P

Pi.

Compression into 2 letters! :D

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #149
?

Compression into one.

—Alorael, who doesn't care if you don't have the proper decompression material.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages