What's your sex?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What's your sex?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #100
quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

Stareye might give you one if you ask, but he'd carefully craft it to make sure you absolutely hate it.
Whatever Stareye giveth, I can taketh away.

-Drakey, a while back.

NOTE: This is not impersonated signature theft, which would be really bad. Why? A stange lack of the word "who."

I have asked for a custom title, and I never plan to either. And I'll probably never get one. I like 1337 d00d, though. Very cool, especially with a custom title. That was not asking.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #101
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Why are people so eager for custom titles? Almost any title that Drakey gives can be seen as either negative or positive, depending on how you choose to interpret it. (FAQSELF, One Thousand Slimey Things, Nuke and Pave, White Rabbit, Bob's Big Date, etc.)
You've got to admit, though, Nuke and Pave is pretty good and White Rabbit is pretty bad.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #102
Man, Kel, can't you ever just accept the title you're given and move on in life?

:)

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #103
quote:
Originally written by BF7:

Man, Kel, can't you ever just accept the title you're given and move on in life?

:)

lol, Where is the fun on that? We all love to complain. Besides, kel does have a valid point. Compared to White Rabit, Nuke and Pave does sound pretty cool. Nevertheless, we all love Kel in spite of his tittle.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #104
I would think any custom title, White Rabbit included, is better than no custom title, although I would probably change my mind pretty quickly if given a bad one. Banned and canned are the only custom titles I've seen that I thought would be worse than no custom title. I want it to be certain though, that nothing I say, now or ever, should be seen as a request for a custom title. Even though I would like a custom title, I don't really think anyone deserves a custom title if they have less than a few thousand posts, with the exception of people who deserve banned and canned.
EDIT: Post count and contribution, I mean. I thought contribution didn't really need to be said, since it's kind of obvious, and I don't see anyone bieng able to contribute enough to earn a custom title in less than a few thousand posts.

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 16:20: Message edited by: EviL_TiM ]

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #105
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Why are people so eager for custom titles? Almost any title that Drakey gives can be seen as either negative or positive, depending on how you choose to interpret it. (FAQSELF, One Thousand Slimey Things, Nuke and Pave, White Rabbit, Bob's Big Date, etc.)
You've got to admit, though, Nuke and Pave is pretty good and White Rabbit is pretty bad.

I got "Nuke and Pave" in fall 2002. Given the circumstances under which I had to leave in August 2002, at the time "Nuke and Pave" was more unpleasant for me than "White Rabbit" is for you.

EDIT: 2002 ... wow I guess it's been 3 years since those times.

EDIT 2: Although now that all that stuff is long forgotten, the title does sound pretty cool.

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 16:12: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #106
Er, post count really does little in earning you a custom title. Contribution to the community is the main thing.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #107
Drakey's K and A matching comes to mind.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #108
quote:
Originally written by BF7:

Er, post count really does little in earning you a custom title. Contribution to the community is the main thing.
One would think that a Mod is the one who contributes the most in a community; nevertheless, being a Mod has not helped Alorael get his custom title.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #109
Moderators seem to be people who signed up early as much as contributers, seeing as some moderators rarely do things here, although I don't doubt that they did at one point. Custom titles and thier recipients/non-recipiants seem to be as much who Drakey likes and hasn't asked for one as contributors. Also, see the edit to my above post if you haven't noticed it yet. Oh, and what's Drakey's K and A matching comes to mind in relation to what?

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #110
Related custom titles to member with names beginning with K and A, I believe, or something like that.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #111
I don't believe I ever explicitly asked for a title, in fact. I've just very strongly implied such a desire.

SMoE asked Stareye to give him the title "Senile Reptile" and got it. Some people have all the luck.

[Edit: Grammar good!]

—Alorael, who blames Drakey's refusal on the fact that he's the only one with his title. Iit would be a waste of a few minutes of Drakey's time spent setting up Postmaster General and Your Postliness if nobody ever had them.

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 16:45: Message edited by: One of Them ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #112
Yes, i understand what it means, but why was it mentioned? I doubt Dolphin just mentioned the match because the conversation is about custom titles. It sounds like the response to a question or statement, but I'm not sure wether it applies to my statement, as in

I can't think of any custom title I've seen that I wouldn't prefer to no title, except canned or banned.

Drakey's K and A matching comes to mind.

or something else instead of the first statement.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #113
Evil_Tim - It was more a general statement of Drakey's presumed logic of giving titles. You said it might be due to post count, and Ben said contribution to the community.

I said “Drakey's K and A matching comes to mind.” because he picked them because he made a connection between them. That is too say Drakey has his own logic.

Sorry if that caused confusion. I figured that could be easily interpreted in relation to the posts referring to reasons for giving titles, but oh well.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #114
Kel, I think your title's kind of cool. Lewis Carroll references rule, for one, and there's also the association with the first Matrix movie, which, barring memory of the other two, was pretty sassy back in the day.

What the heck does Thuryl's title mean, though? Has that ever been explained anywhere?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #115
My title's a section of Turing tape. What's Turing tape, you ask? Well, it's what you use when you need to ture things to each other, of course.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #116
Yes, that makes perfect sense.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #117
What are the b's, then? The sticky bits?

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #118
That's the part of the tape that doesn't have anything tured to it yet.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #119
They should be betas as opposed to b's though, shouldn't they?

Does the "10010" signify anything?

Tricksy Thuryl - ture isn't a verb.

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 06:38: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #120
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

They should be betas as opposed to b's though, shouldn't they?
Nah, it's a VHS tape, not Beta.

quote:
Does the "10010" signify anything?
You'd have to ask Drakey. Presumably it either signifies the number 18, something else entirely, or nothing at all.

quote:
Tricksy Thuryl - ture isn't a verb.
Dang. Knew I couldn't get away with it twice.

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 06:59: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #121
To 'ture' is of course to make a noun out of a verb. It is a metaformation from such instances as 'furnish -> furniture' and 'invest -> investiture'.

I never thought about it before, but of course Thuryl is right that you need to attach the extra syllables somehow. Recombinant neologistics needs its tools.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #122
This is fast turning into a turing circus.

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 07:36: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #123
Hey, if turing tape can attach furnish to furniture, maybe it can be used to attach other abstractions to material objects. That would be very handy. You could use it to keep facts at your fingertips, or if you found that the meaning was coming loose from your written words. Or to stick the Form of human being to a bunch of long chain molecules. Yep, handy.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking that instead of using 'ture' for the act of turning a verb into a noun, you could just use 'noun' as a verb. That would be self-referential in a contradictory way, and in this context that would be bad. You might find your thoughts going round in a turing circus and never stopping.

This thread is getting ontologically hazardous. Time to go for coffee.

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 07:54: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #124
Ah, but which of the turings would you be circling in?

Turing definitely seems to be of use, though I'm afraid it will find less use than our friend the gerund, which I engaged at the start of this sentence. Still, you have to admit: turture is cool, though it may seem a bit turturous.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, what uni are you at, SoT?

[ Friday, June 10, 2005 07:53: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]

Pages