Favorite Author

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Favorite Author
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #0
Who is your favorite author?

I'm bored, so I'm starting this poll.

My favorite author is Stephen Donaldson or J.K Rowling.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 36 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=kvZGkbEzCfxD"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=kvZGkbEzCfxD"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #1
No Tolkein?

No Victor Hugo?

I protest.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #2
Sorry. I just typed in 'authors' on Google and got them from there. I put in ones I like, as well.

Edit: 200 posts.

[ Tuesday, April 12, 2005 23:30: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
Tolkien. By comparison, Rowling and Eddings are pale imitations.

Jeff Vogel... well... I've read his writings, and I've played his games, and I prefer the games. Stick with programming.

Dan Brown? Wonderful books, those. Fascinating and entertaining to read. Some would say they have little literary value, but most of those are snobs wanting to sound profound.

Shakespeare's cool. He's underappreciated because it is fashionable to dislike him now.

I've read only one book by Hawking, and I wonder why you throw a physicist in among the fantasy authors. Sure you didn't mean Stephen Hawking without the Haw? He's interesting to read, but I like Feynman better in that particular genre.

Edit: This poll is incompetently done. I might as well ask. What is your favorite book?

The HobbitFellowship of the RingThe Two TowersReturn of the KingThe SilmarillionHarry PotterBelgarath the SorcererPolgara the SorceressOtherOr... where do you come from?
New YorkJapanAachenBelgiumTanzaniaEurope (outside Aachen)United StatesThe MoonOther

[ Wednesday, April 13, 2005 00:18: Message edited by: To gleam thereon by Elbereth ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
To be honest, I've never read Tolkien. I've seen Lord Of The Rings , but never read the books. I've heard they are good though.

BTW, how do you pronounce his name?

[ Wednesday, April 13, 2005 00:16: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]

--------------------

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
I pronounce it TOLL-keen. How it is actually pronounced I am not sure.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #6
All quotes in this post written by Rebel Without A cause.
quote:
Edit: This poll is incompetently done. I might as well ask. What is your favorite book?

The Hobbit
Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
Return of the King
The Silmarillion
Harry Potter
Belgarath the Sorcerer
Polgara the Sorceress
Other
Or... where do you come from?

New York
Japan
Aachen
Belgium
Tanzania
Europe (outside Aachen)
United States
The Moon
Other

Were you asking me? If so...Favourite book would be Harry Potter, Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress. Also, I come from Australia, as it says in my Location.

quote:
This poll is incompetently done.
I know. I did'nt have much time.

EDIT:

quote:
I've read only one book by Hawking, and I wonder why you throw a physicist in among the fantasy authors.
As I said, I did'nt have much time, and I just whacked in the authors I could think of at the time.

[ Wednesday, April 13, 2005 01:07: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]

--------------------

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Were you asking me?
No, sorry, I was just poking fun. I didn't quite succeed with the books, seeing as I did include your favorite ones in the list. :P

And I am still Arancaytar, I just change my name daily.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
The "Other" votes are winning by a landslide. What a motherfriggin' surprise.

For reference:

James Joyce
Scott Fitzgerald
Ernest Hemmingway
William Faulkner
Vladimir Nabokov
Samuel Clemens
Kate Chopin
William Carlos Williams
T.S. Eliot
Ezra Pound
William Yeats
Kurt Vonnegut
Sherman Alexie
Richard Wright
Ralph Emerson
Langston Hughes

And that's only a start. I would posit that each and every author here beats each and every author you listed, hands down. And then, since you listed Voltaire, there's a whole slew of philosophical authors who beat him hands down:

Kant, Hegel, Marx, Wittenberg, Foucault, Lacan, Derrida, Adorno, Heidegger, Jameson, etc.

If the "other" votes actually manage to lose, opinions about this community will become even more cemented.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #9
Who the hell is Sherman Alexie?

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Alexie

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #11
What about Hunter S Thompson? Nothing makes me want to ruin my life like reading "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail". That man has style!

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #12
Victor Hugo for me, followed by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Some of his work puts Salman Rushdie up there for me as well, as well as Patrick O'Brian, for well-written guilty pleasure.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #13
Tom Wolfe
TC Boyle
Michel Houllebeqc
Isabel Allende
Eric Ambler
Patricia Highsmith
Donna Leon
William Gibson
and many others.

This poll is pretty useless since there is nothing to vote but "other" =_=
:P "Fear and loathing ..." is great.

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #14
Ah the feeling for damned popular idiotic classics. I despise many of the classics because they are popular trash... F. Scott Fitzgerald, should be shot by Shakespeare. William Carlos Williams is a great writer but writes in a very tame floral style. Put a few authors with some fire in their writing out here for people to read.

Lets put some raw authors with real credentials here.

Jonathan Carroll
Charles Bukowski
Nicholas Mosley
Theodore Roethke
Diane Wakoski
C.L. Moore
Octavia Butler
L. Sprague De Camp-- Admittedly a terrible writer, but a great storyteller.
The Odyssey, The Iliad, The Aenaeid
Lucretius- De Rerum Naturae
Apuleius-- The Golden Ass
Musashi-- The Book of Five Ring

Numerous nonfiction writers-- the tip of the iceberg.

[ Wednesday, April 13, 2005 05:51: Message edited by: Toasty Warm ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Toasty Warm:

F. Scott Fitzgerald, should be shot by Shakespeare.
Apart from the fact that your misuse of commas does little to grant you credentials of literary criticism, I'm not sure how melodramatic and nonsensical fru-fru dramaticism with overtones of traditional morality and metaphors as opaque and open as your mother's legs actually beats masterfully crafted writing with seemless metaphor and pertinent comments about the market economy.

Actually, let me ammend that. It's not that I'm not sure how you're right; I'm sure that you're wrong.

EDIT: And for having such a disdain for classics that are popular trash, your support of shakespeare is blatantly hypocritical.

[ Wednesday, April 13, 2005 07:24: Message edited by: Le Martyre de la Terreur ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #16
Agatha Christie. I adore her brand of intricate, unarguably entertaining popcorn mystery novel, and I have little patience for anything else.

Unsurprisingly, I despise most of the authors TM listed with which I am familiar, with the exception of Fitzgerald. I can tolerate "Dubliners," but find anything else by Joyce rather nauseating.

Other authors I enjoy include Richard Adams, John Knowles and Charles Dickens.

[ Wednesday, April 13, 2005 07:47: Message edited by: This Glass Is Half Stugie ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #17
I don't read often, because it is difficult for me to properly assimilate or reproduce information. Hopefully, the visual training will solve this problem quickly.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #18
Other. (From the list Agatha Christie is fine, and thanks to Blyton's Seven Secrets and Carl Barks comics I learn the love of reading as a child. I don't know what Dan Brown is doing there, though I imagine the man is, regretfully, exceedingly popular in certain places.)

(no order)

H. P. Lovecraft.
Jack Vance.
Robert Anton Wilson.
Clark Ashton Smith.
George MacDonald Fraser
William Butler Yeats.
James Joyce.
W. H. Auden.
Anonymous Writers of Medieval and Pre-Medieval Epics.
Edgar Wallace.
Noam Chomsky.
Abdul Alhazred.
Gabriel Cabrera Infante.
Julio Cortazar.
Jorge Luis Borges.
Al Franken.
Avram Davidson.
Kurt Vonnegut.
Philip Jose Farmer.
Julian Barnes.
J. R. R. Tolkien.
Jose Ortega y Gasset.
Albert Camus.
Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Alan Moore.
Kim Newman.
Francois Rabelais.

Plus others.

[ Wednesday, April 13, 2005 10:19: Message edited by: blessed spigot cascade ]

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Apprentice
Member # 5651
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Sprung Spring:

Who is your favorite author?

I'm bored, so I'm starting this poll.

:confused:
I can see that you're bored if you make this pointless poll, only including a few authors and getting a 75% score of "other" votes.

I do not approve of Terror's Martyr telling people what authors they are to like and flaming them for appreciating authors TM doesn't (It's a free world, now isn't it? :rolleyes: ), but I have to mention your choice of authors, Spring, was a relatively absurd one.

Not that you could possibly make a decent "What author do you like" poll, because there is no way in hell you could include all the authors people would like to vote for.

In fact I have a suggestion for you. You'd better start a poll "What genre of literature do you like". At least you could include all probable votes. (You know - SF, fantasy, theology, et cetera).

:cool:

--------------------
For the wind cries of late
In the whispering grass
Our way of life is held
In the spinning wheels of chance
For the wind cries of late
In the whispering leaves
Tell me more about the forest
You once called home
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #20
Other. The last 31 books I've read were by Stephen King, so I guess that he's my favorite.

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #21
TM your list of authors reads like a high school reading list. There is nothing particular deep about the authors listed. They are all simplistic cannon. A few might have written literary masterpieces, but overall it is very limited. The only two authors who stand out on the list are James Joyce-- Ulysses and Vladimir Nabokov-- Lolita. Two truly groundbreaking works of literature. Also, the philosophers listed are very nineteenth century country gentlemen type authors. They may have flamed great philosophical passion; but as people they were very staid. The people who grabbed their ideas and stepped up to the barricades were not.

I find the radicalism you are expressing to be very genteel radicalism. Berkeley professorial radicalism. Go to a protest for the popular oppressed person of the day, have some tea, visit the local green party headquarters to discusss the new environmental law the committee is trying to pass. Wander around the bookstore in the afternoon. Go play some computer games. Profess intellectual communism as a pure idea. It makes me smile. :)

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #22
I'm gonna have to go with Tolkien. I'm a fanatic, what can I say. :D

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #23
I never claimed to be a radical, and I also never said that these texts are revolutionary (although they really are).

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Le Martyre de la Terreur:

quote:
Originally written by Toasty Warm:

F. Scott Fitzgerald, should be shot by Shakespeare.
Apart from the fact that your misuse of commas does little to grant you credentials of literary criticism, I'm not sure how melodramatic and nonsensical fru-fru dramaticism with overtones of traditional morality and metaphors as opaque and open as your mother's legs actually beats masterfully crafted writing with seemless metaphor and pertinent comments about the market economy.

That has got to be the single most under-informed opinion posing as intellectualism that I have ever read. And I'm not sure how much your inability to spell "seamless" does to grant you credentials for literary criticism, either. (Unless you were deliberately using a metaphor that could only be described as Shakespearean.)

Fitzgerald wrote, what, one good book?

Yes, Shakespeare looks like crap if you judge him by Titus Andronicus or Comedy of Errors. Read a three or four of his late works (ideally post-Hamlet and pre-Pericles) in close proximity, read some good recent criticism on them, and then you can talk. And no, reading a few of them spaced out by several years in school doesn't count, especially if you didn't get modern criticism on them mixed in. My professor, Janet Adelman, has written a number of good books on the subject that I highly recommend.

I have to admit that I didn't really understand why Shakespeare was at the center of the English-language canon until this year, when I took a full year of Shakespeare and read about fifteen of his plays in a row. Then, after Much Ado, Hamlet, Othello, Lear, Macbeth, Antony and Cleopatra, and particularly Troilus and Cressida (a personal favorite), I started to get it.

I recommend these to anyone who likes to read (or watch plays, if you can find a good production of one), although you may have to force yourself to slog through the first play or two to get used to the language.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages