What would you like to see developed after Geneforge 3 and Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What would you like to see developed after Geneforge 3 and Avernum 4?
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #0
I am curious to see what people are wating for.

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 40 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=JBLRqbqruPhk"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=JBLRqbqruPhk"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Most Important Questions:
Why does one sock go missing?
What is the purpose of meaning?
What is the purpose of girls?
What happened to the other one?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I think Jeff has implied strongly that after GF3 and A4, he will be working on a GF4. That's not what I'd most like to see, but that's what he's likely to do.

After that, I kind of expect an A5. I may or may not hate that idea -- I'll decide when I see A4.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #2
It's time Jeff returned to the Avernum world. A4 will accomplish that. After all A1-3 were just remakes right. Jeff doesn't need to continue in a linear fashion either. By that I mean he doesn't have to make A4 then A5. There could be something entirely different, but set in the Avernum world.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #3
Well, it seems from the results most of those who voted (me included) would like to see a new game.

However, I think that's unlikely. This is, pretty much, a one man show. His livelyhood depends on the success of these games. He gave it a try to a new game twice (not counting Exile, his first, nor Avenrnum, a remake) and once didn't do so well, the second one did.

Geneforge and Avernum keep the cash flowing, and that's a good thing. It takes him about 6 months or so release one of these games. To start a new one, even if he uses an existing Engine and just twitches it slightly, would still be a big risk.

If it sells like crazy, fantastic, but what if it doesn't?

So, as much as I'd love to see a different world from his mind (since I loved everything he's done), I don't think it'll happen.

So, I guess, it will be GF4 (he may alternate between the two series), and then maybe in 2007 we'll see a Blades of Geneforge, or Shapes of Geneforge, or whatever name it'll have (those editors take a long time and are an ardous endeavour)

Cheers!

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Blades of Geneforge, but I'd never get around to making scenarios anyway. I'm tempted to say Avernum 5, but someone is going to lynch me.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
Maybe he could make more of a puzzle game instead of another RPG. However, it's very unlikely.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #6
I personally think Jeff will continue with Avernum.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I'd say a Blades of Geneforge will come sometime, but whether it's preceded by another installment in a series really depends on how well BoA sells, how well GF3 sells, and how well A4 sells. What I'd like to see is a new game. Avernum 5 (or even A4) could fit the bill, but I won't hold my breath. A4 will probably spark a new trilogy (A5 and A6) and maybe then something really new will come along.

—Alorael, who doesn't begrudge Jeff his money and even expects to enjoy A4. It's just a shame Nethergate didn't sell better and prompt more games of similar style. Yet another generic RPG gets old.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
I wanna see something else entirely, preferably with a combat/spell/strategy system that gets MORE difficult as you go on.

But even moreso, I want to see a world that is either actively interactive or controlling and active.

Eh, I can dream.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #9
i tihkn BoG will come next, however, i really think Jeff should do another puzzle or strategy. I think it would be fun to see what he can do with better engienes that teh Oceanbound one, which i got to play as ai recently aquired a Mac. So, ill be playign Geneforge III in a few days, as i have a school trip to go on, preventign me from playign ti right away. that, adn i have to set it back up because ive been usign its USB keyboard on my Windows Boxes.

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
Jeff's never actually made anything other than RPGs. All those puzzle and strategy games were made by other people and published by Jeff.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #11
I like the Geneforge series, mainly because of the excellent storyline.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #12
As I said yesterday in the GF3 forum, I don't like his concepts for games. He thinks he can make another sequel to a hit game, and another and another. That's all fine with some people, but I like variety. Sure they're different storylines, but theyre kind of dull after awhile. You play the same set of characters, and for geneforge maybe 3 new creations added each sequel. BORING!!!

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #13
I would very much like to see the next Avernum. It seems eventually that story will run out. They are allowed back on the surface now. After that maybe another Geneforge, or another game.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by -:

You play the same set of characters, and for geneforge maybe 3 new creations added each sequel. BORING!!!
And there's not even a single new creation for GF3. A few new graphics and monsters and an altered interface are the only changes. Ack.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #15
It appears that Jeff will significantly revamp the Avernum graphics for the next Avernum Game.
Apprentice
Member # 5644
Profile #16
Yes, it seems so. I myself hope there's a Geneforge remake.

--------------------
~ Chris ~
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #17
I don't see a "Blades of Geneforge" ever happening.

I'd love to see Nethergate II, but that won't happen, either.

Of course I'm hoping for a new IP.

Edit: Also Liverpool has beaten Everton (yay...).

[ Tuesday, March 29, 2005 08:59: Message edited by: the Real Demonslaya ]

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by [b:
This Glass Is Half Stugie[/b]]
And there's not even a single new creation for GF3. A few new graphics and monsters and an altered interface are the only changes. Ack.
Major thumbs down to Jeff. Variety counts as part of what makes a game fun or boring too. I know it seems like I've been just giving negative comments about Jeff's work, but his games have really gotten boring. Before, I couldn't wait until they came out. Now I don't even want to play them.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Apprentice
Member # 5720
Profile #19
When Exile was out, Jeff games were nice. However, since Nethergate pretty much all his games plays and looks & feel almost the same. So, you played one you played them all in my opinion.

Jeff should make something new. Or add a new dimension to his games. I too would like a 2nd Nethergate, or at least a 2nd game inspired by the world's history.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #20
This is a dead topic. It has been dead for some twenty days. Please do not ressurect inactive topics to post on them.