Root of all evil

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Root of all evil
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #275
Okay... so in your mind there is no real difference between something that is not there and something that is there but cannot be detected, correct? "True" and "false" are essentially human concepts and so nothing can be said to be true or false in the abscence of human observation, regardless of whether it's actually there or not.

Either that, or you're arguing an even more alien worldview. Forgive me if I have trouble understanding where you're coming from.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #276
Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of my views. It simplifies some of my views (assigning truth doesn't necessarily rely on humans specifically in principle, but would require some kind of conscious observer that had a concept of truth), but overall it's pretty much where I'm coming from.

[ Saturday, February 05, 2005 18:51: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #277
This is Modern Empiricism, no?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #278
Not answering that. Aligning oneself with philosophical positions that have capitalised names is a good way to get oneself stuck arguing viewpoints one doesn't actually agree with.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #279
Something that is there but cannot ever be detected is just as valuable as something that does not exist, in my mind. It does not matter if said inperceptable dragon in my garage exists or not, it is an irrelevant question.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #280
Well perhaps the dragon is chewing your car every day and shortening the life of the car(while not leaving any perceptible marks). While still indetectable it has effects and thus is different then something that is non-existant.

Yes if you can't detect the dragon chewing your car then you would use the heavily used razor to get rid of the dragon, but opperating under the assumption that the dragon does exist, it is impossible to tell if it is having any effect on the surroundings. Doesn't mean that it isn't though.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #281
quote:
Originally written by m's provocation:

Well perhaps the dragon is chewing your car every day and shortening the life of the car(while not leaving any perceptible marks).
Shortening of life of the car (i.e. increasing entropy to those of physical minded) is a detectable phenomena by its very nature. It would provide evidence to the theory that a dragon is in my garage. I could measure this increase in entropy everyday and draw conclusions from there.

My dragon is completely indetectable and does not render itself to any observation or perception at all. It emits no gravitational field, the laws of thermodynamics do not apply to it, and interacts in no way with anything in my garage, just as god does.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #282
How could you know that it is indectable? Are there ever any changes to your garage? Of course the leaf that got blown into the garage wasn't carried by this dragon, but it could never be proved that this dragon didn't carry it in. Ok I see your point. Why believe in the dragon if any possible effects can be explained in a much better way. I suppose that is why the question of miracles comes up. ie things that can not be explained naturally, or at least not by presently "detectable" natural causes. Things like this lead you to look for other causes that have not yet been detected.

Meh I never should have tried arguing with *i.
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #283
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
The point is that matter exists REGARDLESS of whether we are around to assign subjective meanings to it's existence or create means of communicating ideas to one another about the whole thing.
See, this is the sentence that just doesn't mean anything to me. What does it mean to say that something exists regardless of whether we are around?

Back at ya. Wake me up when the ride is over.

quote:
quote:
See this is the point I don't think we can possibly resolve or come to agreement on since this sounds like complete nonsense to ME(unless you are being evasively ambiguous in how you define "fact"). Did matter exist before minds/observers or not? If you conclude that it DID then you are agreeing with me and quibbling over what YOU mean by "fact" and what I mean by the same word is a pointless endeavor.
Matter did exist before minds, but couldn't have existed in the absence of minds.

Everyone who does not have hands, raise them now and I will not attempt to unanswer your lack of questions at that non-time.

The solipsist merry-go-round will stop at that time.

quote:
Part of the problem here is that my argument relies on the fact that in my view, existence requires a non-causal, retrospective assignation of existence by a conscious being, which I don't think your philosophy has any concept analogous to.
No, not at all. The problem here is that you keep trying to force your whole uninteresting pontification about meanings into our dicussiuon about whether matter exists even when we are not around to discuss whther it will mean anything to us. You are at one agreeing with me(see above) that matter existed before our abstract-thinking species did and at the same time fishing for some grounds to disagree with yourself(and me).

To call it confusing would be to lend it undeserved credence.

Simple disproof of your whole case:

Matter you are unware of exists(the tree in my yard, the house I live in etc.) even though you are unaware of it. Correct?
You have already agreed that it's objective existence does not depend on any quantity of observers for it to be so(or are you changing your mind here?).
We both AGREEE that there can be no "meaning" understood(for ANY words) without things capable of such(abstract thinkers/minds) which is a seperate issue from whether matter exists.

Your only options are as follows:

1)Unobserved matter ceases to exist until it is observed(youy have already agreed this is nonsense).

OR

2)You do not deny that matter exists independently of our observation but your cointention is with whether we can say "That exists" when we do not exist. Since we already AGREE on this point, i cannot see why you would still harp on it?!

quote:
To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, to me, the statement "The planet Earth existed 1 billion years ago" is true now, but the statement "The planet Earth exists now" was NOT true 1 billion years ago.
You are not making the LEAST bit of sense. Did the planet exist or not? I am not asking whether WE could have SAID "The planet exists". I am asking whether there was a mass of mineral matter that we now call "Earth" that existed one billion years ago? Did our life forms evolve on this planet which has existed longer than our species has?

AGAIN and I REPEAT: I AM NOT asking whether we could have assigned, spoken, evaluated, appreciated ANY statemetns or meanings.
Answer THE ABOVE question.

Jeezus! What is with you guys dancing around the simplest questions?

quote:
quote:
I am using "fact"(for lack of a better word) in the sense of something being literally true, regardless of subjective evaluatiuons and assigned meanings. I am NOT arguing about whether the word "fact" can have any meaning without abstract-thinking observers. Two different issues.
I don't see them as different issues. It can't be true to say that facts exist unless someone holds a definition of what a fact is.

OKAY, AGAIN, we are NOT disagreeing about whether words can have meanings when no "minded" beings exist. Here is what I am asking you:

Was there physically existing matter in the universe one billion years ago? It does not matter in the LEAST that we would not have existed ourselves adn that these words would have no meanings back then. I am not asking the question THEN. I am asking YOU the question NOW. DID matter EXISTS then? Or did matter *pop* iunto existence only when we were able to meaningfully discuss the issue?

I know why you are dodgin and YOU know why you are dodging but let's knock off the baby games. I understand it is thought to be deplorable to grant ANY concession to those damned "closed minded materialists", but come on now!

quote:

quote:
Exist v. 1)To have actual being: Be real.
Defining something with near-synonyms isn't very helpful.

That was taken from the American Heritage Dictionary. I foresaw your obvious reply which is why I added the following:

quote:
I define existence as above and having an appreciable(physical) effect on other existent things, regardless of whether anyone is around to apprecite it or to even use words like "exists".
TO which you responded with:

quote:
See, I don't think a physical effect alone is an appreciable effect. Nothing is appreciable without an appreciator.
Make up your mind. Does matter exist independently or does it pop into existence as we observe it? You cannot have it both ways. I absolutely, 100% do NOT CARE that you have some emotional investment in how we define "existence" and how we assign such values to things as observers. I am asking you a past-tense question: Did the planet Earth exist(as we can indirectly observe it's past existence) one billion years ago or not? Please answer THIS question and not some other question about meanings and assignments and truth values.

quote:
Don't we all think everyone should hold the same things important as we do? Look at the arguments people start over things as minor as not liking the same music. I'm not trying or expecting to convince you of anything anyway (and I hope you're not either); I'm just arguing for fun and for practice.
That is fine but you are doging the point again. Are humans flawed creatures who sometimes, in some egotistical fever, place too much emphasis on what we think should be important? Absolutely. Is this an error in thinking? YES! Does this excuse YOU(or ME for that matter) from facing up to such errors? NO.

quote:
quote:
The moon will go on being, even after we are extinct.

I find THAT important.
Why?

Why do YOU find the fact that we cannot assign meanings to words in teh absence of our own existence(something we both AGREE ON!) important in this discussion?
To answer your question though: I find this important because it is the very thing that validates and proves the correctness of materialism. The fact that things evolve(change) in a linear chain of causation. THat the "minds" you (and I) appreciate so much would not exist but as a function of material things but material things WOULD exist even if minds never evolved(we just would not be discussing the matter which is a MUCH simpler point than you are trying to make it out to be).
The whole point of materialism is that matter is the primary stuff from which the non-material is emergent. The only POSSIBLE counter you can have to this is to say that matter is not there prior to our observing iut. That is *poofs* into being as we become aware, which is complete nonsense.

Otherwise, you are only arguing(nonsensically since we agree) that these words woould have no meanings themselves if we did not exist. That is quite different than saying that matter's existence is dependent on non-matter.

quote:
Why is something important to you when you won't be around to see it?
Because I WAS AROUND TO SEE IT!! THAT IS THE POINT!!! IF I were NOT around then we would NOT be discussing it!! You are trying to assume our non-existence to raise a silly hypothetical point which no one disagrees with anyway?!? You are engaging in this distraction seemingly to avoid admitting the obvious.

[/QUOTE]The importance of my point about the mind not being a formal system is that these assumptions are NOT axioms in the strict sense, and are therefore not immune to change or challenge.[/qb][/quote]

Call them whatever you want to! Call them "first principles", "base assumptions"...whatever! IT does not matter that we can change them! I could become an idealist tomorrow(hypothetically) but that does not change the fact that there is a point at which we are forced to chose some assumption that is not subject to the methods that follow from that base. YOUR base assumptions(of dualism/phenomenalism/whatever) are no more subject to whatever line of reasoning that follows from them and are no more provable than MINE.

quote:
People do make assumptions in order to get things done, but for most people this is done very much as an ad hoc process. Most people (perhaps even all people) end up holding a very large set of assumptions that contains some inconsistencies and would fall apart if they spent too much time analysing it.
So what?!? Your options are to become a solopsist because of your despair over this (largely)semantic dillema and spend the rest of your life chattering on about how "I can't say this statemetn is true! I cannot even say that I cannot even say that THAT statement is true!" OR you say "F*ck it! Stuff exists and logic works." and then use logic(or whatever process/method you like) to aarrive at further understandings of the universe.

quote:
That's not my argument. In fact, I was arguing the opposite; that whatever initially inspires someone to pursue a line of scientific thought, that inspiration should be considered to be outside the scientific method -- and therefore that "Observation" did not belong at the start of that list, because it is not a discrete step in the scientific method.
Again, you are mixing up "observation" and "imagining" which are two different things. We have already been over that. Observation IS at the forefront of the liberal scientific method, like it or not(take it up with the scientists you will be working with). Unless you know of someone who exists in a sensory deprivation chamber who is still doing science, sans observation, then you have no counter-argument to this.

quote:
[b]
quote:
Are you pursuing a career in science or are you seeking to attack science to legitimise something else like parapsychology or therapeutic touch or somesuch? I only ask because I have not met any scientists who argue AGAINST scientific method!?
I assure you I have every intention of pursuing a career in mainstream science.

quote:
But just for ****s and grins, i will play your baby game and give you an off the cuff and oversimplified description of the scientific method just to see what you do with it:

1)Observation.
2)Hypothesis.
3)testing.
4)Falsification.
5)Theory(include predictive aspects and decriptive mechanisms).
6)More testing & falsififcation attempts.
7)Peer review.
8)Revisiting/re-examining the phenomenom for which the theory is proposed to explain as well as the theory itself.
9)Revision according to new data.
Before I tackle this, I'm going to ask one simple question:

What do you believe is the purpose of having a scientific method?
[/b]

Because without an(for the most part) objective method by which we account for fallacies such as personal bias, then all we have is people screaming at each other that "Unicorns are real!" and "No they aren't but the gremlins are going to mess with your car's brakes!" with no way of settling the matter. We cannot teach ANYTHING to ANYONE in ANY SCHOOLS because we have no reason to say ANYTHING is true.
The scientific method gives us a means to distinguish jackalopes from jackrabbits and genies from genes.

quote:
There was some point when YOUR definition did not include such. My point is that you said, and I do believe these were your exact words, "thought is defined as brain activity", and that this is an incomplete definition precisely BECAUSE it does not mention consciousness.
Okay this is downright silly. Words do not have comprehensive, objective meanings guy. Asking someone to define their terminology ALWAYS refers to the context of the discussion.

A little experiement: Define "bad" for me right here(a much simpler word than "thought" no?). After you do so, I will come by and show you how incomplete your definition is since it will not include all possible definitions applicable to every possible speaker, audience, context and usage.

[/QUOTE]Shifting ground. I don't see how "walking is defined as legged activity" and "thought is defined as brain activity" imply movement and consciousness respectively. If you're going to define something, define it completely.[/quote]

And if you are going to disagree that consciousness is brain activity then please explain why this is inaccurate? How is "walking" NOT an activity/funtion performed by legged things?

If you are simply wanting to hold a more extraneous adn mystical definition of "consciousness" then that is your right but it does not make my "simple" one wrong. Consciousness = thought/brain activity. Things without brains have no consciousness. THings without legs do NOT walk.

quote:
I hope you're getting the point by now that your little "thought is defined as brain activity" throwaway line, as if all we needed to know about thought was that it was an activity of the brain, kinda got under my skin.
Yeah, pardon my bluntness buit I also do not give a rat's ass that it got under your skin. I do not hold your metaphysical, mystically revered view of cosnciousness. To me it is simple brain activity. You are as free to your personal views on the matter as I am to mine but this is irrelevant to the matter at hand.
I was not trying to offend your non-materialist sensibilities. I just tend to go for the "essential definitions"(the ones which require the least amount of extraneous multiplication).

quote:
[b]Not when you said "thought is defined as brain activity", you didn't.
[/b]

Holy CRAP man! I defined consciousness in an essential way which did not include every possible metaphysical take on the matter we could come up with! I did NOT say unknind words about your parentage! THis feigned indignation is starting to get under MY skin!

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #284
quote:
Originally written by m's provocation:

How could you know that it is indectable? Are there ever any changes to your garage? Of course the leaf that got blown into the garage wasn't carried by this dragon, but it could never be proved that this dragon didn't carry it in. Ok I see your point. Why believe in the dragon if any possible effects can be explained in a much better way. I suppose that is why the question of miracles comes up. ie things that can not be explained naturally, or at least not by presently "detectable" natural causes. Things like this lead you to look for other causes that have not yet been detected.

Meh I never should have tried arguing with *i.

The point is that the Garage Dragon's existence is indistinguishable from it's non-existence adn is therefore, either way and for all intents and purposes, non-existent.

I am making love to invisible, intangible Angelina Jolie in my bedroom but since she is intangible, I must use my hands to get off.

The razor says I am maturbating.

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #285
quote:
Matter you are unware of exists(the tree in my yard, the house I live in etc.) even though you are unaware of it. Correct?
Presumably, it exists to you. Your house existed to me (if in a somewhat vague form) since I can reasonably assume that you had somewhere to live. The tree in your yard didn't exist for me until you told me about it, because I had no concept of it. Since it's plausible for someone to have a tree in their yard and you have no reason to lie, I can conclude that said tree probably exists. You, being able to directly observe the tree, can presumably conclude that it almost certainly exists (unless there's no tree there and you just picked "the tree in my yard" as an arbitrary example).

quote:
You have already agreed that it's objective existence does not depend on any quantity of observers for it to be so(or are you changing your mind here?).
"Objective existence" is the problem here. Different people have different things which definitely exist for them, which may or may not exist for them, and which definitely do not exist for them, depending on the degree to which those things could in principle have consequences for them. Even if something could in principle be said to objectively exist as long as anyone observed it, in practice none of us has the objective viewpoint required to say that.

quote:
We both AGREEE that there can be no "meaning" understood(for ANY words) without things capable of such(abstract thinkers/minds) which is a seperate issue from whether matter exists.
I don't think it is a separate issue. A statement that isn't meaningful can't be true.

quote:
2)You do not deny that matter exists independently of our observation but your cointention is with whether we can say "That exists" when we do not exist. Since we already AGREE on this point, i cannot see why you would still harp on it?!
I regard the ability for someone to form a concept of something's existence as being essential for its existence.

quote:
quote:
To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, to me, the statement "The planet Earth existed 1 billion years ago" is true now, but the statement "The planet Earth exists now" was NOT true 1 billion years ago.
You are not making the LEAST bit of sense. Did the planet exist or not?
I already explained that. It does exist in the past now, but it didn't exist in the present then.

quote:
I am not asking whether WE could have SAID "The planet exists".
Maybe you should be asking that.

quote:
AGAIN and I REPEAT: I AM NOT asking whether we could have assigned, spoken, evaluated, appreciated ANY statemetns or meanings.
Answer THE ABOVE question.
I've answered it twice now. The fact that you don't like or can't understand my answer isn't my problem.

quote:
quote:
See, I don't think a physical effect alone is an appreciable effect. Nothing is appreciable without an appreciator.
Make up your mind. Does matter exist independently or does it pop into existence as we observe it?
Matter is pre-existing, but our observation is what allows matter to pre-exist. It doesn't "pop into existence"; it exists in the past, but it exists in the past only because we observe it in the present and conclude that it must have existed in the past as well.

quote:
I am asking you a past-tense question: Did the planet Earth exist(as we can indirectly observe it's past existence) one billion years ago or not?
And I answered by distinguishing two different kinds of past tense; the one obtained by conceptually reversing time for the event alone and the one obtained by conceptually reversing time for both the event and the observer. In the latter case, the observer thinks himself right out of the picture, so in order to make meaningful statements about the past we are dependent on things as they appear to us in the present.

quote:
Please answer THIS question and not some other question about meanings and assignments and truth values.
If a statement isn't meaningful, it can't be true. How hard is it for you to get this?

quote:
Don't we all think everyone should hold the same things important as we do? Look at the arguments people start over things as minor as not liking the same music. I'm not trying or expecting to convince you of anything anyway (and I hope you're not either); I'm just arguing for fun and for practice.
quote:
That is fine but you are doging the point again.

I wasn't dodging the point, I was making a different point. I didn't know that was against the law. Actually, I'd be quite interested to hear why you're continuing this discussion; you don't seem to be enjoying it very much.

quote:
The whole point of materialism is that matter is the primary stuff from which the non-material is emergent. The only POSSIBLE counter you can have to this is to say that matter is not there prior to our observing iut. That is *poofs* into being as we become aware, which is complete nonsense.
Saying that matter exists in the past as a result of our observing it in the present is entirely different from saying that it comes into existence at the point in time at which we observe it.

quote:
quote:
The importance of my point about the mind not being a formal system is that these assumptions are NOT axioms in the strict sense, and are therefore not immune to change or challenge.[/qb]
Call them whatever you want to! Call them "first principles", "base assumptions"...whatever! IT does not matter that we can change them! I could become an idealist tomorrow(hypothetically) but that does not change the fact that there is a point at which we are forced to chose some assumption that is not subject to the methods that follow from that base.
We still use some method to choose those assumptions, even if it's not the same method that we use to follow lines of reasoning based on those assumptions. Why should that method be immune to criticism? Holding our most basic beliefs to a standard of proof less stringent than we apply to those that follow from them seems somewhat odd, to say the least.

quote:
So what?!? Your options are to become a solopsist because of your despair over this (largely)semantic dillema
Don't disparage semantics. Logic is a semantic process.

quote:
Again, you are mixing up "observation" and "imagining" which are two different things. We have already been over that. Observation IS at the forefront of the liberal scientific method, like it or not(take it up with the scientists you will be working with). Unless you know of someone who exists in a sensory deprivation chamber who is still doing science, sans observation, then you have no counter-argument to this.
Perhaps I was too subtle in making my point. I was objecting specifically to including observation as an initial, independent item in the scientific method, not to including observation in the scientific method in general. It isn't possible to make observations about a hypothesis until one already has a hypothesis to make observations about; raw observations without a conceptual framework to fit them in are of little scientific value.

quote:
quote:
Before I tackle this, I'm going to ask one simple question:

What do you believe is the purpose of having a scientific method?
Because without an(for the most part) objective method by which we account for fallacies such as personal bias, then all we have is people screaming at each other that "Unicorns are real!" and "No they aren't but the gremlins are going to mess with your car's brakes!" with no way of settling the matter. We cannot teach ANYTHING to ANYONE in ANY SCHOOLS because we have no reason to say ANYTHING is true.
The scientific method gives us a means to distinguish jackalopes from jackrabbits and genies from genes.
So let me see if I understand you. The scientific method is intended to be a procedure for obtaining true propositions?

Your "means to distinguish" comment also seems to imply that the scientific method can be applied as a decision procedure for the truth of any proposition for which truth or falsity can be decided.

Is that a fair summary of your position?

quote:
A little experiement: Define "bad" for me right here(a much simpler word than "thought" no?). After you do so, I will come by and show you how incomplete your definition is since it will not include all possible definitions applicable to every possible speaker, audience, context and usage.
Okay. Now I'm no lexicographer, and ideally I'd like a few weeks to consult with people who are before attempting a definition, but here's my little attempt anyway.

Being "bad" is not a property of an object as such; something is "bad" for or to something. Something which is bad for a conscious being has properties which are, overall, contrary to the fulfilment of that being's desires. An individual property of an object may be bad for a being in isolation even if the object as a whole is not bad for that being (for example, a medicine's taste may be bad for a particular being, in that that beings desires to avoid experiencing such a taste, but the overall effect of exposure to the medicine may not be bad due to its overriding health benefits).

We can also say that something is "bad" for an inanimate object. When something is bad for an object, it is generally bad with respect to a conscious being's attitude toward that object. Something which is bad for an object with respect to a conscious being confers on that object properties which are undesirable to that being, or removes from it properties which are desirable to that being. For example, filling the fuel tank with sugar is bad for my car with respect to me, because it removes from it the property of being usable for transportation, which is a property that I desire of my car.

When we say that something is bad for an object without specifying who it is bad for that object for, we are usually implying that the object has a generally-accepted intended purpose and that the bad thing acts to prevent the fulfilment of that purpose (again, in this sense it can be said that filling the fuel tank with sugar is bad for a car, because it is generally accepted among car users that a car has an intended purpose of being used for transportation).

When we simply say that something is "bad", we usually mean that we are assessing it as being bad for ourselves, or in some cases for the audience we are addressing.

quote:
If you are simply wanting to hold a more extraneous adn mystical definition of "consciousness" then that is your right but it does not make my "simple" one wrong.
Your simple definition is incomplete. Your consciousness wouldn't be so important to you if it were just a brain activity the same as anyone else's; your consciousness is associated with you as a conscious person, while other people's consciousness is not associated with you. When people talk about consciousness, they generally mean the subjective aspects of it, not the externally-observable manifestations such as brain activity.

quote:
Consciousness = thought/brain activity. Things without brains have no consciousness.
The first sentence does not follow from the second.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #286
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

[b]
quote:
Presumably, it exists to you. Your house existed to me (if in a somewhat vague form) since I can reasonably assume that you had somewhere to live. The tree in your yard didn't exist for me until you told me about it, because I had no concept of it. Since it's plausible for someone to have a tree in their yard and you have no reason to lie, I can conclude that said tree probably exists. You, being able to directly observe the tree, can presumably conclude that it almost certainly exists (unless there's no tree there and you just picked "the tree in my yard" as an arbitrary example).
[/b]

AGAIN, you are dodging. I am NOT asking whether something can be SAID by YOU to exist FOR YOU. I am asking whether the tree is there, physically. If you, completely unaware of said tree, were miraculously teleported to the very spot where the tree exists(for me :rolleyes: ) would you not end up a bloody mess for trying to occupy the space physical space as another object?

If you refuse to answer this question in any meaningful way then let's drop this and move on(I think my mission is accomplished here anyway. You understand where I am coming from even if you disagree or do not like it).

quote:
"Objective existence" is the problem here. Different people have different things which definitely exist for them, which may or may not exist for them, and which definitely do not exist for them, depending on the degree to which those things could in principle have consequences for them.
You seem unaware of what "objective" is. Things which are different for each individual are subjective. If it is your view that ALL things are subjective then fine, we are at an impasse(as I said LONG ago) and while it has(mostly) been fun, we cannot really squeeze much else out of this discussion.

quote:
Even if something could in principle be said to objectively exist as long as anyone observed it, in practice none of us has the objective viewpoint required to say that.
I disagree completely but we are spinning our wheels again.I do not need to examine every automobile in existence at once to say that none of them are made entirely of gelatin or molasses. I can say this is objecttively true by virtue of having some knowledge of how things work. it is impossible to build a combustion engine out of molasses.

quote:
quote:
I don't think it is a separate issue. A statement that isn't meaningful can't be true.

A statement that is not meaningful to YOU cannot be objectively true? That is nonsense. The Hindenburg went up in flames regardless of whether you were aware of it.

quote:
I regard the ability for someone to form a concept of something's existence as being essential for its existence.
And AGAIN, this is where we disagree and have no means of resolving since we operate from different axioms. So let's agree to disagree on this one and move on, shall we?

quote:
I already explained that. It does exist in the past now, but it didn't exist in the present then.
You are talking nonsense. EVERYTHING that exists exists in the past because as soon as you attempt to identify something as being in the present, it has already become the past. THe past, present and future are not static locations that you can hop to and from. They are convenience terms and nothing more. Time is ALWAYS moving from what will be to what is to what has been and can do naught else. This progression cannot be stopped or reversed.
The question is a simple one: Was there something that physically existed which preceeded OUR existence and led TO our developement in a linear chain of causation? Again, I am NOT asking whether youy or I could have found this meaningful sans our own existence. I think you understand the question but you have a dog in the fight against materialism and do not like the implications of the answer.

quote:
quote:
I am not asking whether WE could have SAID "The planet exists".
Maybe you should be asking that.

But I am NOT and such a question does not interest me, nor does it have the least to do with my materialism. If I were interested in challenging YOUR dulaims or whatever you call it, then perhaps this question would be of some importance to me. Right now, it is not.
I KNOW better than to try challengiung non-materialists on materialist grounds because all that happens is we end up in an endless cycle of "What is 'real'?" gobbledigook.

quote:
I've answered it twice now. The fact that you don't like or can't understand my answer isn't my problem.
You refused to answer it twice now but that is okay. We can agree to disagree and move on.

quote:
Matter is pre-existing, but our observation is what allows matter to pre-exist. It doesn't "pop into existence"; it exists in the past, but it exists in the past only because we observe it in the present and conclude that it must have existed in the past as well.
You either misunderstand the question or are being deliberately obtuse. You seem almost to completely agree with what I am saying, you just don't like my straighforward way of saying it!?

quote:
And I answered by distinguishing two different kinds of past tense; the one obtained by conceptually reversing time for the event alone and the one obtained by conceptually reversing time for both the event and the observer. In the latter case, the observer thinks himself right out of the picture, so in order to make meaningful statements about the past we are dependent on things as they appear to us in the present.
Again, who cares? The point is that matter exists adn existed regardless of whether we had ever evolved. If no life had ever devloped on earth, this would not preclude a universe full of planets and stars from itself existing. It would only preclude anyone being able to appreciate, asses or evaluate such things.

quote:
If a statement isn't meaningful, it can't be true. How hard is it for you to get this?
I don't "get this" becuase it is not true adn is complete nonsense to boot. If a statem,ent is not meaningful TO YOU that does not render the statement itself as "false" by default. Remember, you can ONLY speak for your own observation and assessment of what is "meaningful", not everyone else. ;)

quote:
I wasn't dodging the point, I was making a different point. I didn't know that was against the law. Actually, I'd be quite interested to hear why you're continuing this discussion; you don't seem to be enjoying it very much.
Calm down there Geronimo. Hystrionics and hyperbole will get you nowhere. Teh thing is, I already got your "other point" the first(and second and third and...) time adn much of it I agree with. But it is, at best, tengentially related. If you are agreeing with my point(as I agreed with yours) but disagreeing with my evaluation/assessment(as I disagee with yours) then that is fine, we can agree to disagree and move on. Not something we can come to an agreement on barring my beoming a non-materialist(for whatever reason) or you deciding to adopt my position.

quote:
Saying that matter exists in the past as a result of our observing it in the present is entirely different from saying that it comes into existence at the point in time at which we observe it.
So you are agreeing that matter itself exists, even prior to our own existence as a species? Again, I understand adn agree with teh point that we cannot assign truth values or appreciate such concepts as existence adn non-existence unless we ourselves exist. THat is another issue and one we DO agree on so let's not dwell on this distraction. THe question I put before you is this:

Say an asteroid was moving through space, one billion years ago, and was due to intersect with the location we currently observe Earth to be. Would this asteroid hit something or not?

I repeat: I understand that we could not find any meaning in such an event if we are not aropund to do so. We already agree to that. NOW let's move on to MY question above. Pretend a non-sentient cam-corder was floating through space recording events but no life forms existed ANYWHERE. Would the camera record an asteroid impact with earth or would it record nothingness?

Again, I undersstand that, not existing ourselves, we could not SAY that the camera or the asteroid existed. That is not what I am asking.

quote:
We still use some method to choose those assumptions, even if it's not the same method that we use to follow lines of reasoning based on those assumptions. Why should that method be immune to criticism?
Because you are treating these first principles as if they are arrived at in the same methodological process that we arrive at conclusions which follow from these base assumptions. We have NO CHOICE in whether we will accept such assumptions which are themselves not subject to validation by logic. As Geddy Lee once quipped:

"Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." - Rush,Free Will

Your only options are to accept this is true adn then go about insuring that your reasoning which follows from these assumptions is sound OR sitting on your hands chattering on about how "Reason cannot prove reason" and "Math cannot prove math" in an infinite regression of befuddling and insoluable nonsense.

quote:
Holding our most basic beliefs to a standard of proof less stringent than we apply to those that follow from them seems somewhat odd, to say the least.
How so?!? Your entire argument here has been to show how impossible it is to validate these assumptions(yours AND mine but for some reason you find it more profound that I cannot validate MINE) through the methods which follow from them! You are at once denying the validity of logic and reason while trying to use logic adn reason to convince me of your point(s)!? THAT is odd!

You cannot prove logic is logical through logic unless you already, a priori acccept that logic is reasonable. You cannot prove that math is valid using math unless someone already accepts that sequential quantification is how things exist(i.e. we do not get three apples by subtracting one apple from two apples or get three days elapsed by waiting for six hours).

By what criticism do you intend to measure our first principles/axioms by?

quote:
Perhaps I was too subtle in making my point. I was objecting specifically to including observation as an initial, independent item in the scientific method, not to including observation in the scientific method in general.
What does THAT mean?!

quote:
It isn't possible to make observations about a hypothesis until one already has a hypothesis to make observations about; raw observations without a conceptual framework to fit them in are of little scientific value.
So what?!? WHo said that raw observations were necessarily of scientific value??? I said that observation was necessary to science, NOT that science was necessary to observation!

quote:
quote:
So let me see if I understand you. The scientific method is intended to be a procedure for obtaining true propositions?

It is a process/method for understanding the limitations of our universe. For comprehendsing HOW the universe works/ behaves as we observe it to do so.

quote:
Your "means to distinguish" comment also seems to imply that the scientific method can be applied as a decision procedure for the truth of any proposition for which truth or falsity can be decided.
Wrong. I am all to aware that we can construct subjective propositions/questions(e.g. "Is that piece of art beautiful?" or "Is war virtuous?")to which science does not apply.

quote:
Is that a fair summary of your position?
No.

quote:
quote:
Okay. Now I'm no lexicographer, and ideally I'd like a few weeks to consult with people who are before attempting a definition, but here's my little attempt anyway.

Being "bad" is not a property of an object as such; something is "bad" for or to something. Something which is bad for a conscious being has properties which are, overall, contrary to the fulfilment of that being's desires. An individual property of an object may be bad for a being in isolation even if the object as a whole is not bad for that being (for example, a medicine's taste may be bad for a particular being, in that that beings desires to avoid experiencing such a taste, but the overall effect of exposure to the medicine may not be bad due to its overriding health benefits).

We can also say that something is "bad" for an inanimate object. When something is bad for an object, it is generally bad with respect to a conscious being's attitude toward that object. Something which is bad for an object with respect to a conscious being confers on that object properties which are undesirable to that being, or removes from it properties which are desirable to that being. For example, filling the fuel tank with sugar is bad for my car with respect to me, because it removes from it the property of being usable for transportation, which is a property that I desire of my car.

When we say that something is bad for an object without specifying who it is bad for that object for, we are usually implying that the object has a generally-accepted intended purpose and that the bad thing acts to prevent the fulfilment of that purpose (again, in this sense it can be said that filling the fuel tank with sugar is bad for a car, because it is generally accepted among car users that a car has an intended purpose of being used for transportation).

When we simply say that something is "bad", we usually mean that we are assessing it as being bad for ourselves, or in some cases for the audience we are addressing.

Your definition of "bad" is insufficient adn incomplete. It does not tell me anything worth knowing about Shaft's "badness". They say that Shaft is one BAD mother-(Shut yo' mouth!) adn "they" obviously do not mean any of what you said above.
"Bad" in the context of Shaft means "Someone so cool and tough that he is not to be trifled with. Someone so 'smoothe' with the ladies that if you walk into a singles bar, single, and Shaft is there, you will leave said bar... single.

quote:
Your simple definition is incomplete.
ALl definitions are incomlplete and even MORE SO when they are to apply ONLY to the specific context of an internet debate.

quote:
Your consciousness wouldn't be so important to you if it were just a brain activity the same as anyone else's; your consciousness is associated with you as a conscious person, while other people's consciousness is not associated with you.
You assume FAR too much. Even if your assumptions were true(they are not) it would be irrelevant. Consciousness is STILL, at it's essence, "brain activity" and nothing more.

quote:
When people talk about consciousness, they generally mean the subjective aspects of it, not the externally-observable manifestations such as brain activity.
Even if this were true, you admit that this is a generalization. Hardly worth quibbling over. When people generally speak of what it means to be "alive", they include a ton of extraneous spiritual adn emotional qualities as well. Qualities which no mosquito has and yet mosquitos live.

quote:
quote:
Consciousness = thought/brain activity. Things without brains have no consciousness.
The first sentence does not follow from the second.

You are mad. Of course the first follows from teh second! You cannot have any "brain activity" if you have no brain!?!

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #287
The only way you could get the second sentence to follow from the first would be to phrase it like this: consciousness = thoughts = brain activity. Thus, things without brains have no consciousness.

Or, in formal logical terms: 1) All consciousness is brain activity. 2) If an entity does not have a brain, then it cannot have brain activity. 3) Therefore, entities that do not have brains cannot have consciousness. This argument is valid in general: all A is B. If not C, then not B. Therefore, all not C is not A.

I would take issue with 1 (all consciousness is brain activity), since 2 is pretty reasonable and 3 follows from 1 and 2. 1 is an empirical observation and inherently a generalization, not a deductive fact, unless you reverse-define consciousness as being only brain activity, which I think is weird. After all, the idea of consciousness existed before anyone knew that it was linked to brain activity.

EDIT: I think what Thuryl was pointing out is that your statement looked too much like the logical operation, "All consciousness is thought OR brain activity" (which would not lead to the second statement), not "All consciousness is thought AND all thought is brain activity" (which would).

EDIT 2: SkeleTony, you made a procedure for the scientific method with ordered steps (many posts back). Observation was the first one. Thuryl has just pointed out that observation is not necessarily the first step. Your list was, to that extent, wrong.

[ Tuesday, February 08, 2005 09:10: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #288
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

The only way you could get the second sentence to follow from the first would be to phrase it like this: consciousness = thoughts = brain activity. Thus, things without brains have no consciousness.

Or, in formal logical terms: 1) All consciousness is brain activity. 2) If an entity does not have a brain, then it cannot have brain activity. 3) Therefore, entities that do not have brains cannot have consciousness. This argument is valid in general: all A is B. If not C, then not B. Therefore, all not C is not A.

Granted. I did not think this was necessary or I would have phrased it such.

quote:
I would take issue with 1 (all consciousness is brain activity), since 2 is pretty reasonable and 3 follows from 1 and 2. 1 is an empirical observation and inherently a generalization, not a deductive fact, unless you reverse-define consciousness as being only brain activity, which I think is weird. After all, the idea of consciousness existed before anyone knew that it was linked to brain activity.
I simply do not see how you can define consciousness WITHOUT aknowledging the necessity of the brain!? I mean, technically you could in the same way that you could define "walking" as slithering about on a body which does not have legs but what good does such a definition do?

I could not say which came first: the idea of consciousness or that thinking requires brains. All I know is that a few thousand years ago an ancient Greek(Hereticus?) observed that a blow to the head affected thinking while blows to other body parts did not. I do not say, nor do I much care if this idea predates "consciousness"(in fact I assume it does not) but this does not seem important to me. THe idea that volcanoes were the wrath of angry gods predates geology and vulcanology but still...

quote:
EDIT: I think what Thuryl was pointing out is that your statement looked too much like the logical operation, "All consciousness is thought OR brain activity" (which would not lead to the second statement), not "All consciousness is thought AND all thought is brain activity" (which would).
I see.

quote:
EDIT 2: SkeleTony, you made a procedure for the scientific method with ordered steps (many posts back). Observation was the first one. Thuryl has just pointed out that observation is not necessarily the first step. Your list was, to that extent, wrong.
Didn't I also go to the trouible of stating that my outline did not represent a specific sequential order that must occur?!? I could have sworn I did. In any case, you guys are guilty of reading too much into my description of SM.

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #289
You can walk on your hands, too. ;) Give AI another few years to develop, and maybe we'll have a self-aware machine - I would say that it's entirely possible and probable.

EDIT: SkeleTony, am I correct in stating that your old stance (of a month ago or so) was "if there is a god, then it doesn't appear to interact with the world/universe and is not worth venerating?" If this was your view, what then is the purpose of taking the harder line of "there is no god?"

[ Tuesday, February 08, 2005 11:31: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #290
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

You can walk on your hands, too. ;) Give AI another few years to develop, and maybe we'll have a self-aware machine - I would say that it's entirely possible and probable.

EDIT: SkeleTony, am I correct in stating that your old stance (of a month ago or so) was "if there is a god, then it doesn't appear to interact with the world/universe and is not worth venerating?" If this was your view, what then is the purpose of taking the harder line of "there is no god?"

My previous stance was, like Thuryl's, one of 'weak atheism'. I simply lacked any positive beliefs that any gods existed. Mostly because this is the easier position to defend rationally as it makes no assertions and therefore cannot be argued to assume any burden of proof.

I have switched to 'strong atheism' recently because of teh reasons I have outlined here, namely that I see no difference between asserting that round squares cannot exist and asserting that gods cannot exist. Since I absolutely know that there can be no such thing as a round square, for logical reasons and I say as much, I am no longer beating around the bush with logically inconsistent "gods" either.

Some will argue that not all gods are necessarily logically inconsistent but when they do so they always present either a non-godly natural phenomenom and call it "God"(the sun, joy, creativity, etc.) which I refuse to do or they present an ambiguous, sketchy thing I can make no sense of(e.g. "The allness of being" or "Something pretty powerful").

As soon as someone clearly defines a supernatural God, it becomes logically inconsistent by necessity and therefore, non-existent.

[ Tuesday, February 08, 2005 11:51: Message edited by: SkeleTony ]

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #291
I guess that line of argument just doesn't follow in my mind. "Round squares" have no meaning because these terms (of our own construction) are absolute, and so are mutually exclusive. Can the same logic be applied to an omnipotent deity and the "unliftable rock" issue? "Unliftable" is a relative description; not absolute, like a shape. Is this description meaningful when applied to infinity?

EDIT: For that matter, is the concept of infinity logically consistent?

[ Tuesday, February 08, 2005 12:15: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #292
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

I guess that line of argument just doesn't follow in my mind. "Round squares" have no meaning because these terms (of our own construction) are absolute, and so are mutually exclusive. Can the same logic be applied to an omnipotent deity and the "unliftable rock" issue? "Unliftable" is a relative description; not absolute, like a shape. Is this description meaningful when applied to infinity?

EDIT: For that matter, is the concept of infinity logically consistent?

I do not invoke the "rock so heavy..." argument because it is a poor one that proves nothing. "Rocks" by definition are objects of finite mass which CAN be lifted with sufficient force/leverage.
To ask if an entity who has "all force" at his disposal could create a liftable object that was too heavy to lift no matter how much force was applied is a nonsense conundrum.

If you fail to see how transcendent gods are as necessarily inconsistent as round squares then take me up on my challegne and try and construct one that is not so. You will be stuck in the same boat as keladon and either proposing a concept to vague to be of any use or suggesting we call some non-transcendent natural object(the sun, the universe ets.) or activity, "God".

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #293
SkeleTony, not all brain activity is consciousness, unless you have a really odd definition of consciousness. Some brain activity is involved in sight, or smells, or movement of the limbs, or whatever. In fact, I am pretty sure that we don't know which activities within the brain create consciousness. That is, we can't point to a particular section and say, "That's the consciousness center of the brain." Therefore it is not particularly useful to define consciousness in terms of its physical manifestations in the brain.

Certainly there is reason to think that consciousness is a manifestation of activity in the brain, but that's going backwards: we're observing a phenomenon and then finding the cause. Defining the phenomenon in terms of the cause is a bit odd. That would be like defining gravity as a property of mass, rather than saying that gravity is the principle that all objects with mass attract each other.

The alternative, of course, is to define consciousness in the normal way, with words like "awareness" and "reasoning ability" and that sort of thing.

EDIT: SkeleTony, I wasn't going to bring this up, but you keep dropping my name as if I were an example of something. I note that you ignored my last post on the "god" issue. Our discussion was not yet finished. I am not an example of anything yet.

[ Tuesday, February 08, 2005 13:23: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #294
Hmm. Well, try the deity from the deist perspective. God is an entity sufficiently powerful to create our universe, but chooses not to intervene in its creation for its own reasons (i.e. the universe as a giant snowglobe).

EDIT: (As a total aside, it took the "Monikers" topic a year and four days to reach this length! :eek: )

[ Tuesday, February 08, 2005 13:27: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #295
quote:
AGAIN, you are dodging. I am NOT asking whether something can be SAID by YOU to exist FOR YOU. I am asking whether the tree is there, physically.
You mean, does the tree have some objective existence that's independent of our experience of it? Nobody has the objective viewpoint required to definitively answer that question.

quote:
You seem unaware of what "objective" is. Things which are different for each individual are subjective. If it is your view that ALL things are subjective then fine, we are at an impasse(as I said LONG ago) and while it has(mostly) been fun, we cannot really squeeze much else out of this discussion.
Sounds like we are indeed at an impasse. After all, your belief that other individuals even exist is an assumption made for subjective reasons (namely, your own personal view that it's best to avoid solipsism so that things that you view as being useful can be achieved). I'm not optimistic about being able to reply to this post with much that we haven't already gone over before, so you don't have to continue replying if you don't want to.

quote:
I disagree completely but we are spinning our wheels again.I do not need to examine every automobile in existence at once to say that none of them are made entirely of gelatin or molasses. I can say this is objecttively true by virtue of having some knowledge of how things work. it is impossible to build a combustion engine out of molasses.
How objective is that knowledge? The only things you know about are your own experiences; anything you conclude beyond those is a subjective assessment.

quote:
A statement that is not meaningful to YOU cannot be objectively true? That is nonsense.
Now who's criticising the rules of logic? A proposition which isn't well-formed can't be true.

quote:
The question is a simple one: Was there something that physically existed which preceeded OUR existence and led TO our developement in a linear chain of causation? Again, I am NOT asking whether youy or I could have found this meaningful sans our own existence.
To me, these are not separate questions. A statement that cannot be meaningfully formulated cannot be true. All of logic relies on this, otherwise I could just pick any nonsense sentence out of the blue and assume it to be true.

quote:
quote:
Again, who cares? The point is that matter exists adn existed regardless of whether we had ever evolved. If no life had ever devloped on earth, this would not preclude a universe full of planets and stars from itself existing. It would only preclude anyone being able to appreciate, asses or evaluate such things.
If something isn't observable, what difference is there between its existence and its nonexistence?

quote:
So you are agreeing that matter itself exists, even prior to our own existence as a species?
Yes. But "prior to" does not imply "independently of".

quote:
Again, I understand adn agree with teh point that we cannot assign truth values or appreciate such concepts as existence adn non-existence unless we ourselves exist. THat is another issue and one we DO agree on so let's not dwell on this distraction. THe question I put before you is this:

Say an asteroid was moving through space, one billion years ago, and was due to intersect with the location we currently observe Earth to be. Would this asteroid hit something or not?
This question is phrased a little confusingly; you're saying that one billion years ago, hypothetically, an asteroid could have been on a collision course with Earth, such that one billion years ago they were both at the same location at the same time? If so, the answer is that we could say that it would have hit something provided that the collision had observable consequences for us now which could be traced back to it. In the absence of observable consequences, I can't reasonably say that it hit Earth or that it didn't because the two cases are equivalent in our present time.

quote:
I repeat: I understand that we could not find any meaning in such an event if we are not aropund to do so. We already agree to that. NOW let's move on to MY question above. Pretend a non-sentient cam-corder was floating through space recording events but no life forms existed ANYWHERE. Would the camera record an asteroid impact with earth or would it record nothingness?
You're forgetting that there'd be nobody to observe that the camcorder existed either.

quote:
Again, I undersstand that, not existing ourselves, we could not SAY that the camera or the asteroid existed. That is not what I am asking.
What does it mean to say that something exists if it doesn't exist for anyone? Even a hallucination is more real than a world with no observers; at least the hallucination has consequences for the person experiencing it.

quote:
Because you are treating these first principles as if they are arrived at in the same methodological process that we arrive at conclusions which follow from these base assumptions. We have NO CHOICE in whether we will accept such assumptions which are themselves not subject to validation by logic.
We do have a choice in which assumptions to accept. Why did you pick yours in particular rather than any other set?

quote:
quote:
Perhaps I was too subtle in making my point. I was objecting specifically to including observation as an initial, independent item in the scientific method, not to including observation in the scientific method in general.
What does THAT mean?!
I'm questioning the validity of making "Observation" the first item on your list when most discoveries start with a hypothesis and accumulate systematic observations only later. Since I see that in your next post you said that your list was never intended to be an ordered list, I have no further beef with this, except to say that to me a method must be, at least, a series of processes which must be followed in a particular sequence.

quote:
quote:
It is a process/method for understanding the limitations of our universe. For comprehendsing HOW the universe works/ behaves as we observe it to do so.
Here we come to our first point of disagreement. I don't think it's really possible or desirable to understand the universe. I'm interested in science purely for its predictive value.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Your definition of "bad" is insufficient adn incomplete. It does not tell me anything worth knowing about Shaft's "badness". They say that Shaft is one BAD mother-(Shut yo' mouth!) adn "they" obviously do not mean any of what you said above.
"Bad" in the context of Shaft means "Someone so cool and tough that he is not to be trifled with. Someone so 'smoothe' with the ladies that if you walk into a singles bar, single, and Shaft is there, you will leave said bar... single.
And presumably, you didn't desire to leave the bar single, which means that Shaft's presence there was bad for you. :P

Seriously, though, I do apologise for neglecting that particular colloquial usage; I agree that it ought to be noted. Do you have any particular wording in mind with which to amend the definition? Is there anything else I've left out?

[ Tuesday, February 08, 2005 15:44: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #296
I think what Thuryl is getting at is that since our experience of things that exist is inherently sensory (you can't know that a rock is in front of you unless you see it or touch or something like that), we might as well go one step further and define the existence of things as being sense-dependent.

A rock exists only insofar as we can measure it. If we can't sense it in any way, it might as well not exist, so it doesn't exist. If it may have existed in the past but we can't measure it, then it doesn't exist, but the moment that we measure it in the present, then it begins existing in the past.

You could think of this as being kind of like quantum physics: if you have an electron floating around in a box, it's not really floating there in the box; it's a probability wave that could put it anywhere in the box at any given time, and it really won't be in any one place until you compress the wave function by measuring it. (I apologize to physicists if I've mangled this somewhat; we won't get to this for a couple of months yet in my class.) Until you reduce the wave function of a rock in the past existing or not existing by measuring the rock's effect on the present, it's in a probability wave, neither existing nor not existing, but somewhere between the two.

This is a wacky analogy, but it's a pretty wacky idea. It's not any worse than any other philosophy of existence that I've ever heard, though.

--------------------

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #297
Whenever I see someone earnestly argue that something existing depends on someone sensing it exist, I am reminded of a very young child which, for being unable to see something, believes it has ceased to exist.

Either there IS an objective level of the universe -- something that is hard or sharp will be so to animals, for example, or even to other objects -- or within any useful framework, there exists an objective level anyway.

Saying otherwise is as essentially useful as arguing there's a universal frame of reference and our not knowing where it is makes all other measures of position and velocity useless -- it's sophomoric beyond belief and even if the argument holds, it renders itself useless due to unravelling the foundations of logics upon which it is built, and making further debate and progress impossible besides.

IN SHORT: The contention that there exists no objective reality (given that all formal logics and, by extension, said contention, depend on an objective reality for meaning) is either false or meaningless.

This is, of course, only a useful contention if you live in a world where philosophy exists for the purpose of advancing or refining human knowledge, not as a marital aid.

Now to sit back and do nothing until the next time I see Thuryl turn a philosophical discussion into a game where he molests the other participants with knives.

[ Tuesday, February 08, 2005 17:31: Message edited by: Bad-Ass Mother Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #298
To be fair, all sides of this discussion have been molesting all sides with knives. I've been defending points that I don't believe in just for the sake of showing that they're not necessarily wrong.

I do kind of suspect that this thread has outlived its usefulness by about eleven pages, though.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #299
quote:
until the next time I see Thuryl turn a philosophical discussion into a game where he molests the other participants with knives.
Has he been knifing others?
I feel much drawn to the point he's arguing from. Thuryl is asking into the nature of 'reality', and that's an intriguing question, or isn't it?

What I didn't quite get was the whole 'A and not A' section, when it was used to prove or disprove the existence of God/Gods.
Every artist would feel a painting he's done to be part of him, an expression of him. Insofar the painting would be him, and also, as he's certainly more than the picture, not him at the same time. Does not the same apply to God/Gods and his/their creation?

--------------------
Polaris

Pages