Root of all evil

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Root of all evil
Apprentice
Member # 4162
Profile Homepage #325
quote:
I have switched to 'strong atheism' recently because of teh reasons I have outlined here, namely that I see no difference between asserting that round squares cannot exist and asserting that gods cannot exist. Since I absolutely know that there can be no such thing as a round square, for logical reasons and I say as much, I am no longer beating around the bush with logically inconsistent "gods" either.
does not the very fact of existence defy our absolute and necessary notions of logic ? Something is needed for something else, yet things do not come from nothing etc ?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #326
quote:
Originally written by Thunvael:

does not the very fact of existence defy our absolute and necessary notions of logic ? Something is needed for something else, yet things do not come from nothing etc ?
We can't explain existence- so what? The sciences haven't always been correct- so what? We don't know everything and even make mistakes from time to time, but we are learning at such a rapid pace, we correct our mistakes contantly, and studies have come to conclusions that can be observed and duplicated. Theology is able to do no such thing; for instance, transubstantiated host still retains its "accidents." So okay, maybe there is an unexplained portion of existence at its very core; but I'm a betting man, and I wouldn't call the odds on that one to be very feasible to rest my chips on it.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #327
Who are you, and what have you done with TM?

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #328
quote:
Originally written by Thunvael:

quote:
I have switched to 'strong atheism' recently because of the reasons I have outlined here, namely that I see no difference between asserting that round squares cannot exist and asserting that gods cannot exist. Since I absolutely know that there can be no such thing as a round square, for logical reasons and I say as much, I am no longer beating around the bush with logically inconsistent "gods" either.

Nope. Logic says that I must accept a starting point...what we have been refering to in this thread as an axiom or 'first principle'. Otherwise we could accomplish nothing while we sit around chattering mindlessly about the infinite regressions.

Also, the claim that things do not come from nothing is a groundless assertion(especially considering that positron-electron pairs seem to do just THAT(pop into and out of existence uncaused)).

[ Saturday, February 19, 2005 19:20: Message edited by: SkeleTony ]

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
Canned
Member # 5490
Profile #329
a formula for a lightning charged steel sword

add protons and neutrons to the steel atom nucleus,in such a state that they throw out electrons

add enough protons and nuetrons and the gravity will draw the electrons back towards the nucleus

electrons form a sphere aroudn the nucleus

atoms grouped,yuo got a lightning sword 0.o

--------------------
comminiscor ea superus san` coetus,momen athrad ea superus san` institio,uniformis ea superus san` complesso,superus honestas,superus dominatus,superus.ta ea superus a` imperator san` a` succedo
Canned
Member # 5490
Profile #330
have the same thing done except in such a state that they throw out photons (such as phosphorus like) and you got a vampire slayer sword

--------------------
comminiscor ea superus san` coetus,momen athrad ea superus san` institio,uniformis ea superus san` complesso,superus honestas,superus dominatus,superus.ta ea superus a` imperator san` a` succedo
Canned
Member # 5490
Profile #331
oh yeah,another thing,the static energy the human body generates is in excess of 10,000 volts,but the ampage is practically non existent,someone with afew odden atoms in there body might be able to attract those free floating electrons to a single point,hence,thats explains why someone would be able to cast lightning

--------------------
Canned
Member # 5490
Profile #332
or if a person had a very high metabolism (unheathily high) the heat that there body leaks could be used to ignite things,hence spells like light and fire bolt,a free floating ball of electrons could be sort of a basis for attracting the heat that a high metabolism body generates,in the same way that man made diamodns are made,i think the rest of the formula needed for that is lsot somewhere in the physics of plasma

EDIT: another thing,flame cannot travel in an organized form unless it has a basis for its fuel,or something to keep the fire focused to a point,which is why flamethrowers are really throwing out ignited,liquid gas,electrons,say gathered around a darkmatter nucleus could keep the atoms that compose a flame in check,in a sphere like form,the atoms that compose flame
are free floating around your body constantly,its just that they arent concentrated enough to ignite anything

EDIT: another thing,flame is the reaction of anti matter to matter,hence,that very volatile,weightless heat thingy that we spend so much time debating about

[ Sunday, February 20, 2005 14:58: Message edited by: taker_guardian ]

--------------------
Canned
Member # 5490
Profile #333
and here you all were saying im incompitent o.o

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #334
You're a nut.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Canned
Member # 5490
Profile #335
well,technically,creativity,and above average smartness (in some cases genius) have often been linked to mental illness,so your insult is a compliment

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #336
While it certainly could be argued that there is a fine line between genius and madness, I think it's safe to say that you're nowhere near that line.

Don't defile perfectly good threads.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #337
Each tree has a root.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Apprentice
Member # 4162
Profile Homepage #338
quote:
Logic says that I must accept a starting point...
I understand the utility axioms provide for a working system of knowledge, and yet for those same reasons when they produce discrepancies it would contradict their intended purpose to insist on expediency.

quote:
Also, the claim that things do not come from nothing is a groundless assertion(especially considering that positron-electron pairs seem to do just THAT(pop into and out of existence uncaused)).
not really since relative terminology is employed when explanations are provided that quantum fluctuations emerge from 'nothing'. Using a definition that in effect is the opposite of the essential meaning implied does nothing to resolve the surest example of the chicken and egg dilemma.

Our seemingly intrinsic logical capacities and how we are to reconcile them with the contradiction of existence.

[ Monday, February 21, 2005 11:10: Message edited by: Thunvael ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #339
WTF?

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.

Pages