Root of all evil

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Root of all evil
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #175
quote:
Originally written by The Creator:

You argue he was hallucinating - after all, he was under a lot of stress. I prefer the more straightforward explanation.
The more straightforward explanation is that he was hallucinating. It does not require us to posit anything outside of what we know from established neuroscience. The existence of supernatural forces in this case would provide an unnecesary complexity for this scenario.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #176
And we need not really argue that he was hallucinating. With a lot of ambient noise (waves), one can find patterns that sound like familiar sounds — hence, hearing one's name. The angles at the beach were probably such that the person could have disappeared subtlely.

However, it's probably important to note that without real evidence, all that one can do is just speculate, NOT conclude. It could have been a miracle; we don't know.

EDIT: That second paragraph is intended at those who seem to miss that detail on a regular basis, which does not include most of the people posting in this thread.

[ Friday, January 28, 2005 17:29: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #177
Perhaps I chose my words poorly. I suppose that we'd all agree that the most straightforward explanation is the most likely and simply disagree on which is the most straightforward.

*i, if that were the one and only such occurance, I'd probably agree with you. Thing is, there are a tremendous number of things that most Christians would accept as miracles that I know of. They could all be explained away in extreme ways, with hallucinations, lying, set ups and so forth. But the likelihood of that seems so small to me that it's much easier to believe that there's at least a fair bit of truth in them.

I guess I'm just curious to see at what point people would accept that divine/spiritual intervention is more likely than not.

EDIT: Kel, he assures me that there was nowhere they could have gone where he wouldn't have been able to see them.

[ Friday, January 28, 2005 19:08: Message edited by: The Creator ]

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #178
Part of the problem for me is that lots of religions claim to have their own supporting miracles. Since most religions are mutually exclusive, one is left with something like the following options:

* discounting all miracles except the ones from one religion in particular (from what I've studied, I can't find any one religion with particularly more impressive or more plausible miracles than all the others, so any such choice would be somewhat arbitrary)

* assuming that the miracles interpreted as favouring one religion were actually meant to support a different one (and if miracles can be interpreted that ambiguously, they can't very well serve as the basis for any particular religion)

* regarding all evidence of alleged miracles as being insufficient to point to the veracity of any religion

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #179
Hallucinations or other types of mental tricks are are not all that extreme. Like it or not, the brain is not a precision instrument and is prone to distortion especially under extreme circumstances.

That being said, we should look at sheer numbers. We know that dillusions can happen, but how often do they happen. Now I do not have the statistic in front of me, but I have heard that 1% of the population suffers from some degree of skitzophrenea.

Let us use this marker for overall psychological disorders and be generous and say that 0.01% of the population would suffer from a severe enough disorder (not skitzophrenea) to induce some hallucination without impacting the totality of their lives.

Out of the six billion people currently on this planet (not factoring all humans that have existed in written history), we still get 600,000 people on this planet who would have some experience where their brain was fooled. The human mind has a tendency of pulling from common cultural experiences or things familiar to us. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to assume that a fair percentage of these would attribute it to some religious experience.

Looking at this number with my generous assumptions factored in, this shows that there should be no shortage of people with divinely inspired stories to tell. Sorry to say, but the argument of "I know lots of people with similar experiences" therefore it demonstrates there should be something out there is dubious looking at sheer numbers of people with psychological disorders. I will add that by disorder it does not have to be debilitating, it just indicates any deviation where the brain imagines things as truth.

With this in mind, let us look at a big picture philosophical argument. Let us look at both sides:

1) Attribute this to a psychological effect. We know a little bit about the brain, enough to know dillusions are possible. This is a well established medical fact. There would be no need to invent new aspects to the universe.

2) We believe that there is a divine component to these. This statement can neither be proven nor disproven. More importantly it requires us to accept truths which have not yet and probably cannot ever be observed or replicated.

If we pick option 2, we essentially have to add an invisible, undetectable dragon into the equation. We must make up new laws for our universe. Option 1 does not require any of this. Following the principle of Occam's Razor, we should pick option 1.

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #180
More importantly, the dragon is also inscrutiable, and the purpose of theoretical science is establishing cause-and-effect relationships between as many factors as possible. 'God did it' does not exactly make for good progress, because it's curiously difficult to reproduce divine intervention in the lab or the factory.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #181
Kudos to BK. Furthermore, when you make sense-central assumptions and insinuate solipsism, it is a message that is taught to you for the purpose of keeping you senile and under control.

1. When you contemplate the unanswerable and create dragons, your thoughts have no implications in the real world. That's not to say that such a thing isn't bad under the axioms made, but so few solipsists understand the concept of restraint; the fact that so many feel compelled to spread the anti-word is indicative of the gravity in this argument even in such a context.

Basically, solipsism distracts you.

2. "Everything isn't real" is a catch-all cop-out for defeating any philosophy, especially the dialectic ones; by introducing a philosophy that can void all of history, arguing the dialectic becomes an unmanageable task. Furthermore, any philosophy that requires observations become suspect, and the field which embodies the death of the appendage that philosophers used to call the good life becomes intermingled with philosophers who still call it such, leaving Marx, Hegel et al. in the fairy-dust.

Basically, saying that everything isn't real is a cute way of avoiding any form of argumentation, and damages the reputation of all other forms of thought by association.

3. When one looks inwards, one is looking only at that which one has been taught; therefore, when one looks inwards to dictate perception, one is still seeking out what has been taught to one.

Basically, we spew out what we're taught, and solipsism is not a form of rebellion.

If you understand these arguments and the ethical implications on behalf of the bourgeoisie, then my previous arguments relating to this discussion on a whole become readily apparent.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #182
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
If we do NOT explicitly define our terms then the whole discussion is worthless. If thought can be anything from an idea to a purple walnut then what is the point?
I don't object to defining our terms; I object specifically to your definition, because I object to your defining the concept of a brain into thought.

But I never defined "brain" as "thought". I defined mind as thought and emergent from the physical brain.

quote:
Thoughts are something we have direct experience of; when you have a thought, your experience of it doesn't have any subjective quality of "brain-ness" to it, despite the fact that a brain is involved in producing it.
I am not sure what you are getting at here. I have never had any direct experience with anyone's thoughts and I think such a thing is probably impossible.

quote:
Sure, brains may create thought, but to our experience the thought comes first and the brain comes second; we know thoughts before we know brains.
This is a bit tricky but I think it goes back to our axioms again. I observe that "brains" => "thought" as "Legs" => "walking" and my "necessary assumption"(materialism) is that this is so and such axioms are beyond using any methods that proceed from them to evalute.

WHat you seem to be doing here is(as I think TM was alluding to) solipsistic adn since I am a materilaist(different axiom) we will get nowhere fast in this part of the discussion. But more on this below I think.

quote:
(Anyway, every system has basic concepts that it can't define. Thought may be one of them. Nor is explaining the reasons for its existence the same as defining it, at least to me. If you don't mind me bringing up the blind man from a previous page, telling him everything physicists know about wavelengths of light and cells in the retina doesn't tell him everything I know about the colour red, because I know what it actually looks like, even though that information is beyond my power to describe.
See this I disagree with completely. I know that the reason "Red" appears as it does to me is because of a particular configuration/organization of my physicological bits and pieces. It is the same as my knowledge that my car can make a lot of noise because my muffler is attached and working(or not) a certain way. If I come upon another car that has the same exact makeup with the same muffler attached in the same way, the reasonable inference is that it too(barring any "defects"/deviance in the construction) will make similar noise.

There are no humans with non-human eyes/brains. If there were then I would think they might possibly be seeing what I see as "green" on a stop sign, instead of "red".

quote:
Likewise, I couldn't describe to a hypothetical non-sentient intelligent being what it's like to have a thought.)
What is an "intelligent" but "non-sentient" being?!? I submit that that is another impossible thing but I concede that a redefinition of "intelligence" will allow one a proverbial 'escape hatch' from that one.

quote:
quote:
Actually, no. Linguistic argument or no, I am making a distinction between perceptions/seeing and imagining. One requires an externally existent object while the other creates images of an object what do not reside outside that person's head.
Fine. Since you don't want to stretch the definition of "perception" that far, can we at least say you'd be having a subjective experience?

We could but if my suspicions are correct, you will simply define "experience" in such a way that we are stuck in the same dillemma anyway.
In other words "subjective experince" is no where near the same thing as an OBJECTIVE one. That is to say that my imagining what it is like to be hit by a car is not the same thing as being hit by a car while crossing the street. The former can only be recounted as anecdote while the latter can be observed concurrently by a whole bunch of people.

quote:
I regard subjective experience as being synonymous with perception, but for the purposes of my argument it's not overly important which words I use.
I think this is pretty important because I do NOT equate the two. Right now I am thinking that Gargamel should have gotten a new cat to chase Smurfs. I can report this idea to you but YOU cannot "percieve" the idea. And if I were percieving it, then it would not be imagination but rather there would be an actual wizard with a stupid cat trying to catch smurfs.

quote:
Your definition of "observation" seems to require a perception that corresponds to an actual object and is caused by that actual object.
See I don't think that "caused" is right the way you are using it above. There is not really a single "cause" of my perception but rather a few different components: The actual object I am percieving and my sensory organs and brain matter.

Furthermore, you are once again implying things with a dependent existence are equivalent of things which independently exist. In essence saying that since the thought in my head is "caused" by my brain, thoughts are existent in the same way that trees, caused by climatological conditions, "exist". If this is what you are saying then I disagree wholeheartedly because trees do not reuire my thinking about them to exist adn if you are NOT thinking abouyt them, you can still run into one adn break your nose.

You will NEVER run into my thoughts and neither will I. I will not be kicked by a "walking" either. I will be kicked by legs.

quote:
If so, firstly, that's not my definition (in fact, that definition doesn't mean much to me because I don't even hold a correspondence theory of truth), and secondly, that's not how science works. Remember Kekule's dream in which the structure of benzene came to him? Was he being unscientific by using that dream as an inspiration to test whether the structure he interpreted the dream as conveying to him was correct?
What is unscientific is assuming that what he reporeted anecdotally(re: that he had a dream in which the structure of benzene came to him) happened just as he reported but that is another issue. YES it is unscientific to rely on dreams in such a way but so what? If I am inspired to invent a better sugar-free beverage than Diet Soda because of a daydream or hallucination I had then how I go about inventing said beverage will be where the scientific process occurs. The "inspiration" part is rather inconsequential(or maybe "incidental" would be a better word) to the whole matter of how science works.

quote:
[b]
quote:
*Hypothesis doesn't require materialism for the same reason.
Probably right here but hypotheses really don't even require SCIENCE! YECism is a grand hypothesis after all!
We were debating whether science required hypotheses, not whether hypotheses required science.[/b][/quote]

Actually we were debating whether science(and hypotheses) required materialism. I think it is ogvious that science requires hypothesizing because developed theories do not fall together from the ether.

quote:
(None of the individual components of science require science as a whole in order to take place, anyway.)
???
What is THAT supposed to mean(not agreeing or disagreeing...I simply cannot make sense of what you said there)?

quote:
*Conducting an experiment may not require materialism. Many experiments in economics and psychology take the form of abstract games (e.g. the Prisoner's Dilemma) which require only the experimental subjects and no specific material apparatus.
quote:
Economics and psychology...? That is a whole 'nother debate there friend. :)
If you're going to argue that all experiments conducted in economics and psychology are unscientific, I'm afraid I'm going to have to argue that they meet all the criteria of your posted definition, so you'll have to expand your definition.

THat's not what I was arguing. Let's say that I came here boldly proclaiming, in all of my closed-minded furor, that girls who wanted to be working 'models' had to be of a certain height adn weight range in addition to having appealing facial features/bone structure by the general consensus of the modeling community and society in general.
Now along comes someone who says "Hey! My friend does hand modeling for those Palmoloive dish soap commercials adn she is overweight adn short!"

See what I mean? Hand models adn runway models are both models but clearly the guy in the above analogy is fishing for a non-applicable example to rationalize a dissenting view.

quote:
I'm saying that an attempt to falsify requires only two things: conditions under which the hypothesis would be falsified, and a further experiment which tests whether those conditions apply. Those conditions don't have to involve anything material if the hypothesis is about something non-material (e.g. the hypothesis in economics that "rational individuals will always act in their own best interests"; rational individuals can, in principle, exist and have interests in a universe without matter), and I've already argued that experiments don't necessarily require materialism.
See "model" example above. Calling economics "science" in this discussion is like invoking someone with an honorary doctorate(re:Doctor Martin Luther King Jr.) in a discussion about medical malpractice or something.

quote:
(By the way, no theory is strictly falsifiable if you don't want it to be anyway; you can explain away any data you like.)
???

Again, what is your point here? That if someone wanted to they could plug their fingers in therir ears and chant :"BLAH BLAH, I can't hear you because superstring theory works LA LA LA!"? WHat does that have to do with proving grounds for falsification?!?

quote:
quote:
Incidently, I think you are the first actual scientist I have met that has disagreed with this point about materialism. I wonder how many more of you are hiding out in your labs...? :D
Talk to a quantum physicist some time. It's mostly in biology that you tend to meet the hardline reductionists these days.

I have spoken with people who invoke QP/QM to support ridiculous positions but I am not sure I have ever actually discussed anything with a quantum physicist. Much of what they would have to say would go over my head anyway as I and math are old enemies.

quote:
quote:
You are aware of course that having a scientific degree(however one defines THAT qualification) does not make one a scientist. Working in a field of science and publishing in peer reviewed journals does. Otherwise the creationsits would be right to say that a ton of scientists were denying evolution(their lists, when not outright fraud, are composed mostly of engineers and computer tech guys and such whose views on biology are irrelevant).
Point taken. Is anyone always a scientist anyway?

No, but that is irrelevant to my above contentions. I am concerned only that they be scientists when they are (claiming to be)doing science.

quote:
Surely, if there is some objective standard for whether a method is scientific, one is a scientist when one is applying a scientific method and not when one is not. Or perhaps a scientist is one who habitually (if not always) applies scientific methods, in much the same way that a sailor is frequently but not always found on a seagoing vessel.
Cannot say that would be wrong. Just that I would not be disposed towards saying that someone employing the SM while brushing their teeth is not doing science in any way that would be meaningful in this discussion.

quote:
Sorry. I try to minimise the amount of semantic argument required, but I do consider semantics both interesting and important. Anyway, I really don't believe there's a consensus on what the scientific method is; my experience is that lots of scientists think everyone knows what it is, but nobody can really give it a detailed and coherent description when pressed.
I will take you at your word on this as you undoubtedly have more quality experience with working scientists than I do.

quote:
quote:
No. I do not doubt what I have expressed in here as certain. What I AM saying is that if I am wrong and I am made aware that I was wrong then I will not cling to my "wrongness".
If you don't believe it's even logically possible that you could be wrong, then I can't see how stating what you would do if you were wrong is meaningful. (Okay, in a classical-logic sense it is, but in classical logic you could equally say, being absolutely confident in the assumption you're right, "If I am wrong, Napoleon was American and round squares exist", which is one of the reasons I'm a little uncomfortable with classical logic.)

Just that. I say that thought is an emergent property of brains and does not exsit sans brains(has no independent existence) adn of this I am certain. I am also certain that logically inconsistent gods(and otehr entities) do not exist. I do not believe it is possible I am wrong on this but I also did not believe my fellow Americans would ever go back to "boy bands" after New Kids on the Block were finally eradicated by my local music scene.
In all seriousness though, your only recourse here is to show me a thought that exists without a brain, or a round square or a God. Until then, I cannot be called "closed minded"(as some have) for saying that which is impossible, is in fact impossible.

quote:
On the other hand, if you do think there are some conceivable circumstances under which you could be proven wrong, then surely that means you're leaving room for doubt over whether you are right.
But I don't think there are any such circumstances. Doesn't mean I am entrenched or something so that I could not see that I was wrong if I were in fact wrong. No human can see how a round square could exist. You can speculate that this is because we lack some capability or something but that argument supports any claim no matter how ridiculous or nonsensical(e.g. I can claim that I gave birth to my mother, rather than the reverse adn say that this makes sense if only we had the capacity to understand that "mother" meant "child of" rather than "parent of").

quote:
I get the impression that this is really turning into a semantic discussion hinged on the meaning of the word "doubt".
Actually a lot of this debate has been about defining and redefining words. I have tended to use the "essential definitions" of words to avoid spinning my wheels in meaningless solopsistic rambling. I say that a square cannot be "round" because if it is synonomous with "not round" for all intnets and purposes. I still cannot fathom why anyone would bother contending this when they themselves cannot show me how this is wrong!?

quote:
quote:
See this is exactly my point. "Meaning" does NOT exist(in the way we are using the term "exists" to describe matter and such). "Mind" does NOT exist. "Walking" does NOT exist. You cannot put any of those non-existent things in a jar or box and tell me how much they weigh or how big they are. They have a dependent existence. "Walking" is something that LEGS do(and legs EXIST!). "Mind" is a property of the brain and thinking is something that brains do(and brains EXIST!).
If there were no minds, there'd be nobody to know that brains existed, and therefore it'd be meaningless to say that they existed.

If there were no brains, there would be no minds and therefore no one to say that minds existed.

Your move.

quote:
Therefore minds are more directly the objects of our experience, and we can be more certain of their occurrence (since you don't like the word "existence" as applied to minds).
I do not doubt that we think or that thoughts "occur", just as I do not doubt that "waling" occurs. My contention is with the idea that we could "walk" without "Material parts which allow for walking as an activity"(legs). The only reason you can even continue this discussion is because you have a brain. Whack yourself in the head with a big red hammer and then come tell me that thoughts can exist without brains.
You cannot do it!

quote:
What can it mean for something to have a meaning if the meaning doesn't mean anything to anyone?
quote:
Don't know. Not my dog you got there.
Yes it is. You're saying that things can exist independent of our experience. I'm saying that the concept of things existing independent of our experience is a concept that cannot be meaningfully understood.

:Boggle: How did you go from the quasi-zen "What is meaning?" thing to...?! Nevermind. Let's get back on track here. "Meaning" is often, if not always subjective I think we both agree. So is your bone of contention with me over my definitions and this is all just semantic quibbling? Is it not so much that you think a round shaped square might exist but rather that you should be able to redefine "square" as being "round"?

Well, knock yourself out then. How do you expect to function in our world though?

Officer: "you know why I pulled you over right?"

Thuryl : "Because you define running red lights and driving on the sidewalk as "reckless driving" when in actuallity I was no driving at all. The only reason you think I was is because you are thinking that. In my mind, I have been relaxing at the beach, minding my own business when you..."

Officer :( *reaching for sobriety testing equipment)"Would you step out of the car please...?

quote:
Whoa. I think that linking genetic inheritance with self-awareness is a very long bow to draw indeed; it almost seems like a kind of biological mysticism.
You don't agree that genetics play a role in determining are personalities, intellect and such?

quote:
As for experiences, if you're a strict materialist, surely you're committed to the idea that any knowledge or experiences must be stored in some physical form, and therefore be measurable and replicable in principle.
Not sure what you are getting at there. If you are saying that "ideas" and such should have a phsyical existence themselves then no, materialists would disagree. If you are saying that ideas must, according to materialism, have a real-world reference, then I would tentatively agree because I am unaware of any idea in history which did not. Even gods and dragons are imagined from a human frame of reference.

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #183
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Originally written by SkeleTony:
Your charge that I am "closed minded", typical as it is, is a groundless assertion you do not bother to substantiate.
I thought it was obvious. The description in my post above is the most reasonable (and until fairly recently, most widely accepted) idea of a god, and it logically followed from a number of posts that had already been made, but you had ruled it out without discussion.

I am not dismissing undefined or poorly defined existential claims. I am saying that until you give me a definition that means SOMETHING then your claim is not worth considering for it's degree of "possibility".

Whenever I have asked theists to describe or define "God", I get one of a few different responses:

1)God is a natural object like the Sun or Kim Jong Il or the universe itself which the theist worships as a God.

or

2)God is something logically inconsistent but this does not matter because he is "above/beyond" logical constraint.

To the first one above, I am an atheist because I do not worship such things and do not call them "God". I do not doubt that these things exist.

To the second one, I am a "strong atheist" because such things are impossible by their very definition. If God is "beyond" our physical universe then he cannot intereact with it. His alleged "existence" is of no more relevance than his status as an imaginary thing. There is no way to distinguish whether he exists in some incomprehensible way or is a made up thing.

Therefore, he cannot exist.

Imagine our solar system is a cauldron and the universe is a "kitchen". Everything in the "cauldon" is defined as something in a(the) cauldron. You have peas, carrots, broth, meat...etc. All sorts of stuff but nothing that is "too big to fit in the cauldron" because by definition such a thing could not be "in the cauldron".

Now imagine there is a chef in the kitchen. Every once in while he stirs teh contents of the cauldron up causing us to react in shock awe awe at the "miracle". The ONLY WAY we can say that chef existed is because he intereacted with the cauldron. His existence did not cause anything truly miraculous to happen. We are still peas and carrots and such and not SUVs and we still bob about in a broth.

Now lets say some particular celery stalk decides to tell us that that chef is sort of incosequential compared to the "Megachef".

"What is the "megachef"?" we ask.

"He is a chef infinitely tall and massive who knows all" The celery replies.

"But the kitchen is not infinite! He could not fit if he were infinitely large!? And why don't we see him stirring pots in some "megachef way" that we would be able to distinguish him from the normal chef?"

"The megachef is the kitchen itself and everything beyond the kitchen. He imposes the phsycial constraints and limitations on his existence that we would recognise as SOP for a kitchen without any megachef."

"???So...in other words, we cannot tell teh megachef from an ordinary kitchen? Why call the kitchen a megachef then adn assert that it is without constraint?" We ask.

And so on..

Either the universe has limitations and operates by natural means and restrictions OR things in and of the universe exist which have no such constraints. In order to be of THIS reality, things must abide the same restriction os this reality(or else we cannot say this reality has such restrictions). Beings without such constraints may be of some "other reality" where the restrictions of logic and matter and energy do not apply but these hypothetical entities, for US, are impossible.

quote:
The only way that you can deny the possibility of something without being closed-minded is to define exactly what that something is and then demonstrate why any version of it is completely impossible. You have not done that for divine beings yet.
It is not up to me to define an unlimited number of possible existential claims that can be made and refute them. Define "God" adn tehn we will talk about it. It boils down to this: I do not call things which exist naturally within our reality "Gods". I call such things "The universe", "The sun", or "Angelina Jolie".

Transcendent gods are a nonsense concept by definition.

quote:
You seem to have drawn the wrong conclusion from this, though. Science is inherently agnostic, not atheistic: science can only disbelieve in something if there's evidence against it.
As an agnostic-atheist myself, let me tell you that science IS both. Science, as a method and process lacks any gods so technically, you are wrong(though the idea of assigning philosophical beliefs to a system itself, as if it were a thinking entity, is a bit wonky).

There is no evidence against Santa Claus' existence, fairies, gods, geneies or anything else if you apply the "transcendent" qualifier. Science lacks all of these things.

quote:
Philosophy can disbelieve in something without evidence, but that's something else again.
Materialism is the philosophy of science(for the most part adn as far as the actual practice of science is concerned) but I am wondering about your choice of "disbelieve" as it implies a willful rejection or somesuch which science would be incapable of since science is not a man in a lecture hall(or lab coat) or somesuch..

quote:
Occam's Razor does not tell us what is true in the absence of evidence; it merely tells us what our working assumptions ought to be in the absence of evidence.
OR tells us, not what is true ro false itself, but where proposed explanations are acceptable by reasoned evaluation. OR tells me that the best explanation for my flat tire is that a rusty nail caused it. A mischeivious gremlin is unecessary and would require an even more preposterous multiplication of entities to exaplain so it is dismissed. That does not mean that you cannot believe in gremlins on "faith" or whatever. Just that your insurance policy should not have to cover gremlins, geneies, gods, demons, voodoo, malicious wishing etc.
We know that there are a vatriety of ways in which a rusty nail can end up in a car tire. Falling off a flat bed truck, dropped in the street by kids, Intentionally placed by sabotuers etc. Before we even consider the "gremlin explanation", we need to rule out those other mundanities.

quote:
God is a non-falsifiable hypothesis. Science neither believes nor disbelieves in such things.
NOW you are getting it! ;)

quote:
quote:
The concept you present above is too sketchy and ambiguous to be of any use to me in evaluating it for consistency and such.
So are you saying that it's possible?

No. I am saying that "Zibble *ploink* 5rXng!" is not subject to consideration of whether it is possible or not. It is either vague or complete nonsense.

quote:
That's a normal definition of a god, you know.
"Normal definition of God" *Chuckle. Dare I say that that is half the problem here...?

quote:
That's the idea that you'd have to deal with if you wanted to say that there cannot possibly be gods of any kind, because that fits well within the definition.
What fits within what definition?

quote:
quote:
Sentience is a property emergent from brained entities.
You can't possibly know that with certainty.

How do you know? ;)

quote:
That's a statement that I'm not willing to accept. The only sentience that we know of right now emerges from brain activity, but to say that this is the only possible sentience is the epitome of the mistake that you have been accused of earlier, thinking that what we know now is all that there is to know.
I never said(or thought) such a thing. AGAIN, this is a strawman. Go HERE to learn more about logical fallacies.

The same falalcious arguments can be made for "walking". THe only "walking" we know of is an activity performed by things with legs. WHo knows what sort of "walking" might be done by the gelatinous mind-warbblers of Regus VII!

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #184
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

quote:
Originally written by Bad-Ass Mother Custer:

Name-dropping is essentially useless in philosophy, and I'm certainly not going to condone a 'philosophical' discussion which focuses so damned heavily on ontology; while there is a time and place for the nature of being in this kind of discussion, under most circumstances getting into that turns it into a debate-class circlejerk where actual truth becomes meaningless and the only particular criterion for success is greater experience in sophism.

Looking back, it seems he may have actually been right! ;)

SkeleTony, I can't match your knowledge of philosophy. I think, however, that I can safely assert that you can't prove that God does not exist,

You can assert this yes...but not "safely". THis is another fallacy called the bald assertion(AKA "groundless assertion"). Common examples of this fallacy are "There is more to the universe than matter, energy, space and time!"(offered in support of an existential claim for "souls" or the spiritual realm) and "We will never truly understand how the mind works!".

In order for an assertion to be valid(and this includes an assertion that God does NOT exist), one must substantiate it. Give a reasoned account of why the assertion should be accepted as true.

quote:
and it seems to me that even you admit there is some possibility (however remote) that a divine being could exist.
Kel' made the same assumption a few posts back. It is not true. I do not think there is even a miniscule chance that transcendent gods exist. They are impossible by their very definitions.

quote:
Given that, how is your "strong" atheism anything greater than a belief?
A "belief" is differnt than an acceptance of reality. One can "believe" in fire-breathing dragons. One does NOT believe that 2 + 2 = 4. Once ACCEPTS that adding two and two results in four.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #185
quote:
Originally written by The Creator:

Perhaps I chose my words poorly. I suppose that we'd all agree that the most straightforward explanation is the most likely and simply disagree on which is the most straightforward.

*i, if that were the one and only such occurance, I'd probably agree with you. Thing is, there are a tremendous number of things that most Christians would accept as miracles that I know of. They could all be explained away in extreme ways, with hallucinations, lying, set ups and so forth.

Though Stareye already swatted that one out of the park, I would like to add that you are incorrect to say these explanations are the "extremes". The reason why OR rules out such explanations as "God did it" is because the more likely, common and mundane explanations (which must first be eliminated before considering the extraordinary) are deception, pattern recognition, general misperception and delusion.

On the subject of pattern recognition behavior itself, this is probably the biggest culprit in why people believe weird things(to borrow from Shermer's great book). In essence, humans will "find" evidence to support their beliefs even when their beliefs are COMPLETELY false and not supported by eny evidence worth considering. UFOlogists would see all the same evidence of government cover-up and alien abductions and such even if we have never been visited by E.T.s. Theists will see all teh same "miracles" even if they never happened! The human mind is particularly prone to this behavior. We rely on memories and memories are the most unreliable thing we could rely on! We do not store experiences in our mind the way a hard drive stores jpeg images or some such. We CREATE memories(or the related visuals/sounds and such) on the fly to suit our needs. Over time(and not taking very long at all) recollections of an event will almost always DRASTICALLY differ from what actually occured. This is why we have JFK conspiracy buffs who will "recall" things that were impossible(or damn near so) such as grassy knoll gunmen. THis is also why anecdotes about alleged miracles cannot be taken seriously. We have NO WAY to scrutinise an anecdote and someone who is disposed towards a belief in miracles will recall a simple breeze in the backyard as a mighty gale-force wind in their bedrooms!

We are guilty of this behavior even when not pushing some sort of wild conspiracy or supernatural claim. Surviving a bar fight with one drunk who was verbally supported by his drunken cohorts is recounted as having broken several limbs of a band of thugs who attacked and if the drunk managed to slip and fall during the scuffle, this will later be recalled as him pissing himself and slipping on his own urine.

quote:
But the likelihood of that seems so small to me that it's much easier to believe that there's at least a fair bit of truth in them.
I don't have a link to teh study handy but some group or the other conducted an experiement wherein they asked a number of people "Do you remember meeting Bugs Bunny at Disneyland when you were just a small child?"(I believe the subjects had been 'set up' by being told, truthfully or falsely that they had visited Disneyland as toddlers). The overweehelming majority responded in the affirmative and could even recal; details of the encounter.

Big problem: Bugs bunny is a WArnher Bros. character and has never appeared at Disneyland.

quote:
I guess I'm just curious to see at what point people would accept that divine/spiritual intervention is more likely than not.
When you can show me that deception, delusion, misperception adn pattern recognition cannot account for a phenomenom.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #186
quote:
I am not dismissing undefined or poorly defined existential claims. I am saying that until you give me a definition that means SOMETHING then your claim is not worth considering for it's degree of "possibility".
I am giving you a third concept of a "god": a powerful, invisible being. That's a god in the traditional sense, the way the ancient Greeks, Romans, Hindus, and many others thought of a god. If you want further definition of what I mean, I refer you to those forms of religion for their definitions of gods.

In order to completely discount divinity, you must provide some sort of reason why that kind of god cannot not exist. Otherwise you can only say that an all-powerful, all-present, all-knowing God doesn't seem logically possible, but gods could exist, and while they are not necessarily the most likely explanations of events — nor the most useful — they are possible.

quote:
It is not up to me to define an unlimited number of possible existential claims that can be made and refute them. Define "God" adn tehn we will talk about it.
I would've thought that the onus was on you, because you're trying to disprove a commonly held (or at least controversial). In order to do that, you would have to define your term and then refute it. I claim that your definition of "God" above is terrible and does fit the normal usage of the word. A god can just be a powerful, invisible, intelligent being — the humanoid intelligence is what distinguishes it from any sort of natural phenomena.

If science were necessarily atheistic, then why have the best scientists often been religious?

Let me draw an analogy. One person looks at a flower and says, "It's beautiful." Another person looks at it and says, "No, it's not." Does science have any interest in this situation or ability to render judgment on which one is right? Obviously not. But why? The critical point here is that no experiments can be done that would demonstrate the truth or falsity of either claim. Does science then indicate that the flower is not beautiful? No, science doesn't suggest an answer one way or another, because no data can be gathered.

Similarly, no data can be gathered on "gods" at this point. Does science then render the judgment that gods can't exist?

I know what your objection is going to be: the description of the flower is a qualitative one, whereas the existence of a being is a quantitative one (a binary, where 0 is non-existence and 1 is existence). I would suggest, though, that this difference is not the crucial point; rather, the similar lack of ability to test is important.

quote:
quote:
That's the idea that you'd have to deal with if you wanted to say that there cannot possibly be gods of any kind, because that fits well within the definition.
What fits within what definition?

The same "definition" as in the previous sentence: the definition (by standard usage) of the word "god."

quote:
quote:
That's a statement that I'm not willing to accept. The only sentience that we know of right now emerges from brain activity, but to say that this is the only possible sentience is the epitome of the mistake that you have been accused of earlier, thinking that what we know now is all that there is to know.
I never said(or thought) such a thing. AGAIN, this is a strawman.
That is exactly what you said. You said, "T[h]e only grounds I would bother contesting your hypothetical god is if you are saying it is 'wise' but has no physical brain. Sentience is a property emergent from brained entities. Something cannot have brain functions and lack a brain."

If "Sentience is a property emergent from brained entities" doesn't obviously indicate "The only possible sentience emerges from brain activity," then what on earth does it mean?

Let me summarize my objections so that we don't get bogged down in details. You have claimed, from a number of different branches of thought, that no gods exist. (If this is not your claim, you may wish to state explicitly what you're arguing before you scream "STRAWMAN!!11" hysterically.) You have used logic and science to try to back up your claim. I argue that science has nothing to say on the matter either way, and logic doesn't disprove the existence of gods by the normal definition, despite pointing out some contradictions in the specific case of one popular kind of god, the second kind of god in your examples above.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #187
quote:
See what I mean? Hand models adn runway models are both models but clearly the guy in the above analogy is fishing for a non-applicable example to rationalize a dissenting view.
Enter Wile E. Coyote and the Smurfs . . .

Only kidding; however, if someone continually compares an important, gravely serious cornerstone of your belief system to cartoon characters, basically just for effect, it can grow irksome in the extreme.

On the other hand, I believe that your "disproof" of a Transcendent God is seriously flawed. By the same logic you use, string theory and its eleven dimensions are impossible. Also, it relies on the assumption that God has not intervened in the realm which we can perceive, and the Creator and I would obviously dispute that.

You also insist on considering the concept physically, as opposed to metaphysically. Science and Logic can, with time, provide an infinite amount of answers concerning the laws of the universe, but when asked "Why?" the laws are a certain way, it can point only to other laws.

e.g. Atoms act a certain way because their particles act a certain way, and their particles act that way because they are composed of quarks and gluons, which in turn act a certain way. Somewhere along this chain of reasoning, however, we run into a wall. Science can define the reasons for phenomena with ever-increasing accuracy, but where it fails is defining the reason(s) for that/those reason(s).

When one traipses along through such meta-science (although the word science does not apply at all here, sans the existence of any sort of Scientific Method), one finds that Occam's Razor, which you feel compelled to invoke to disprove instances of supernatural intervention, is actually on one's side. The simplest reason for all the various reasons defined by science is the existence of a God. I believe in God because "That's just the way things are," is simply not adequate explanation for me.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #188
quote:
If science were necessarily atheistic, then why have the best scientists often been religious?
Since when do those who practice science have to represent a monlithic only science and no other belief system world view? The personal convictions of those who practice science does not equate to the value system of science itself. Science is an abstract concept much in the way democracy is. It exists irrelevant of the belief systems of those who practice it.

Although there are theistic scientists who see beauty in the order of the universe as evidence and confirmation of their faith, most of them understand that science can never prove god. They know enough to separate out beliefs from the science they do. Although one may confirm the other, they recognize this as a belief not founded by science itself, but personal convictions.

Although you will see many scientists use these nebulous words saying the "mind of god" or something to that nature. Usually the god which they refer is the abstract god, some mysterious and undetectable being outside of realm of the universe.

So I ask you to back up your assertion. Which modern scientists do you refer and what evidence do you have that they were strong believers in a higher power and not some abstract diestic sense? How representative is this of the totality of the scientific community?

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #189
quote:
But I never defined "brain" as "thought". I defined mind as thought and emergent from the physical brain.
I said defining a brain INTO thought (that is, defining thought as requiring a brain), not defining a brain AS thought. Obviously, if you define thought as the activity of a brain then thought requires a brain, but I argue that's not an adequate definition because it doesn't capture the commonsense notion of what thought is.

quote:
I am not sure what you are getting at here. I have never had any direct experience with anyone's thoughts and I think such a thing is probably impossible.
What I'm saying, to put it in the simplest possible terms, is that thoughts are qualia. Surely you've had direct experience of your own thoughts?

quote:
See this I disagree with completely. I know that the reason "Red" appears as it does to me is because of a particular configuration/organization of my physicological bits and pieces. It is the same as my knowledge that my car can make a lot of noise because my muffler is attached and working(or not) a certain way. If I come upon another car that has the same exact makeup with the same muffler attached in the same way, the reasonable inference is that it too(barring any "defects"/deviance in the construction) will make similar noise.
That still doesn't tell you what that noise sounds like unless you have felt what it is like to hear that noise. Knowing why you hear something is not even close to the same thing as knowing what it feels like to hear it.

quote:
There are no humans with non-human eyes/brains. If there were then I would think they might possibly be seeing what I see as "green" on a stop sign, instead of "red".
There do, of course, exist people who see nothing at all instead of red on that stop sign (blind people, or people with achromatopsia).

(Incidentally, you picked an interesting choice of argument; there's actually some evidence, based on study of the optic nerves of cadavers, that about 1 in 1000 people may see red and green as inverted in exactly the way you describe. The evidence isn't conclusive, as far as I know, but the possibility of colour-inverted people hasn't been ruled out.)

quote:
What is an "intelligent" but "non-sentient" being?!? I submit that that is another impossible thing but I concede that a redefinition of "intelligence" will allow one a proverbial 'escape hatch' from that one.
Well, you argued it was possible that a computer might not be self-aware no matter how well it was able to process information. That was the sort of thing I was thinking of. It isn't necessary for my argument that such a thing can exist anyway; only that it's possible that some people can perceive things of a kind that others can't, which is clearly true.

quote:
We could but if my suspicions are correct, you will simply define "experience" in such a way that we are stuck in the same dillemma anyway.
In other words "subjective experince" is no where near the same thing as an OBJECTIVE one. That is to say that my imagining what it is like to be hit by a car is not the same thing as being hit by a car while crossing the street. The former can only be recounted as anecdote while the latter can be observed concurrently by a whole bunch of people.
I'd argue that "objective experience" is a contradiction in terms. Everything we experience is subjective because everything we experience is processed by our own mind and nobody else's.

quote:
See I don't think that "caused" is right the way you are using it above. There is not really a single "cause" of my perception but rather a few different components: The actual object I am percieving and my sensory organs and brain matter.
Fine. "Contingent on the presence of that actual object"?

quote:
Furthermore, you are once again implying things with a dependent existence are equivalent of things which independently exist.
I'm implying we have no surefire way of telling the difference between the two.

quote:
In essence saying that since the thought in my head is "caused" by my brain, thoughts are existent in the same way that trees, caused by climatological conditions, "exist".
I think thoughts exist in an even more real and certain sense. A material object is an abstraction which we assume from our perceptions; the boundaries we set to any given "object" as distinct from other objects are arbitrary and defined by our mind (the fact that people don't take this fact into account is why they think the Ship of Theseus is a paradox.) A thought is something we can't get away from; we'd be thinking all the time even in the absence of external input.

quote:
If this is what you are saying then I disagree wholeheartedly because trees do not reuire my thinking about them to exist adn if you are NOT thinking abouyt them, you can still run into one adn break your nose.
I honestly don't see why this is relevant.

quote:
What is unscientific is assuming that what he reporeted anecdotally(re: that he had a dream in which the structure of benzene came to him) happened just as he reported but that is another issue. YES it is unscientific to rely on dreams in such a way but so what? If I am inspired to invent a better sugar-free beverage than Diet Soda because of a daydream or hallucination I had then how I go about inventing said beverage will be where the scientific process occurs. The "inspiration" part is rather inconsequential(or maybe "incidental" would be a better word) to the whole matter of how science works.
So you'd support dropping the "observation" criterion from your previous method altogether?

quote:
quote:
(None of the individual components of science require science as a whole in order to take place, anyway.)[/qb]
What is THAT supposed to mean(not agreeing or disagreeing...I simply cannot make sense of what you said there)?
Well, it was derived from this statement of yours that I couldn't make any sense of in context:

quote:
Probably right here but hypotheses really don't even require SCIENCE!
It seemed somewhat beside the point to debate whether hypotheses required science, and I was just replying as best I could.

quote:
THat's not what I was arguing. Let's say that I came here boldly proclaiming, in all of my closed-minded furor, that girls who wanted to be working 'models' had to be of a certain height adn weight range in addition to having appealing facial features/bone structure by the general consensus of the modeling community and society in general.
Now along comes someone who says "Hey! My friend does hand modeling for those Palmoloive dish soap commercials adn she is overweight adn short!"

So now you're only claiming that the "natural" sciences require an assumption of materialism, and that the "social" sciences don't? I wasn't under the impression that that was the argument you were making, since you just used the blanket term "science".

Even then, I'd argue that the natural sciences only require a weak form of materialism (assuming that matter exists), rather than a strong form (assuming that only matter exists.)

quote:
See "model" example above. Calling economics "science" in this discussion is like invoking someone with an honorary doctorate(re:Doctor Martin Luther King Jr.) in a discussion about medical malpractice or something.
I don't think it's beside the point at all. I don't think either of us disagree that in a non-material world, the social sciences would be the only sciences worth studying. What I'm saying is that that still counts as science, so science doesn't require materialism. Unless you're going to argue that the sciences that do require materialism are somehow more intellectually sound in principle than the ones that don't, I think it's unfair to draw a distinction between sciences which require materialism and sciences which don't.

quote:
quote:
(By the way, no theory is strictly falsifiable if you don't want it to be anyway; you can explain away any data you like.)
???

Again, what is your point here? That if someone wanted to they could plug their fingers in therir ears and chant :"BLAH BLAH, I can't hear you because superstring theory works LA LA LA!"? WHat does that have to do with proving grounds for falsification?!?
I'm saying not only that people can do this, but that everyone in the world (including respected scientists) does it all the time (albeit not to such an extreme degree), and that they couldn't possibly form anything resembling a coherent belief system if they didn't.

quote:
quote:
Talk to a quantum physicist some time. It's mostly in biology that you tend to meet the hardline reductionists these days.
I have spoken with people who invoke QP/QM to support ridiculous positions but I am not sure I have ever actually discussed anything with a quantum physicist. Much of what they would have to say would go over my head anyway as I and math are old enemies.
Well, the most offbeat theorist I've had the pleasure to meet was actually a medical doctor at a research hospital who invoked quantum mechanics in much the way you describe. I have to admit, MDs can get some pretty weird ideas too.

quote:
Just that. I say that thought is an emergent property of brains and does not exsit sans brains(has no independent existence) adn of this I am certain. I am also certain that logically inconsistent gods(and otehr entities) do not exist. I do not believe it is possible I am wrong on this but I also did not believe my fellow Americans would ever go back to "boy bands" after New Kids on the Block were finally eradicated by my local music scene.
In all seriousness though, your only recourse here is to show me a thought that exists without a brain, or a round square or a God. Until then, I cannot be called "closed minded"(as some have) for saying that which is impossible, is in fact impossible.
To say that you've proved something via reasoning requires, at the very least, a conviction that your own reasoning is correct. Brains, as we've already agreed, aren't purely logical things. It's always possible you've made some error in logic even if nobody notices it, so how can you be completely certain of any conclusion arrived at through a line of reasoning?

quote:
But I don't think there are any such circumstances. Doesn't mean I am entrenched or something so that I could not see that I was wrong if I were in fact wrong. No human can see how a round square could exist. You can speculate that this is because we lack some capability or something but that argument supports any claim no matter how ridiculous or nonsensical(e.g. I can claim that I gave birth to my mother, rather than the reverse adn say that this makes sense if only we had the capacity to understand that "mother" meant "child of" rather than "parent of").
It does indeed support any claim no matter how ridiculous. I'm not saying it's useful in practice to act as if one doubts everything. I'm just saying nothing's a theoretical impossibility as long as you pick the right theory.

quote:
quote:
If there were no minds, there'd be nobody to know that brains existed, and therefore it'd be meaningless to say that they existed.
If there were no brains, there would be no minds and therefore no one to say that minds existed.

Your move.
Prove it. And prove it without using empirical evidence, because there's always the possibility that any empirical evidence you use is a hallucination.

quote:
:Boggle: How did you go from the quasi-zen "What is meaning?" thing to...?! Nevermind. Let's get back on track here. "Meaning" is often, if not always subjective I think we both agree. So is your bone of contention with me over my definitions and this is all just semantic quibbling? Is it not so much that you think a round shaped square might exist but rather that you should be able to redefine "square" as being "round"?

Well, knock yourself out then. How do you expect to function in our world though?
I couldn't. That's why I don't redefine squares as being round.

quote:
quote:
Whoa. I think that linking genetic inheritance with self-awareness is a very long bow to draw indeed; it almost seems like a kind of biological mysticism.
You don't agree that genetics play a role in determining are personalities, intellect and such?
Perhaps I read too much into what you were saying. You seemed to be implying that the inheritance part was what was important rather than the genetic part; that is, that consciousness is somehow a result of having a long line of ancestors similar to yourself. I take it this isn't actually what you meant?

quote:
quote:
As for experiences, if you're a strict materialist, surely you're committed to the idea that any knowledge or experiences must be stored in some physical form, and therefore be measurable and replicable in principle.
Not sure what you are getting at there. If you are saying that "ideas" and such should have a phsyical existence themselves then no, materialists would disagree. If you are saying that ideas must, according to materialism, have a real-world reference, then I would tentatively agree because I am unaware of any idea in history which did not. Even gods and dragons are imagined from a human frame of reference.
Okay, here's a simple question that will tell me what I originally wanted to know one way or the other; if I made a completely accurate molecule-by-molecule duplicate of a self-aware human being, would the duplicate be self-aware? The duplicate hasn't "experienced" anything, because it was only just created, but from a materialist perspective there isn't any difference between the two now.

[ Saturday, January 29, 2005 14:23: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #190
Stareye, I wasn't actually saying that science proves God, but that science doesn't disprove God. The most obvious example of a scientist with religious beliefs is Einstein, as you undoubtedly know, but I'm sure there are many others.

I didn't mean that all scientists are religious, but just that many of them are, and not just fringe ones, but many of the most respected. Many of the most respected scientists are atheists, too. I mean only that it seems unlikely based on this that science would disprove the existence of any sort of god, not that it would provide any sort of evidence in favor of one.

My stance here is that science has nothing to say on the issue of gods, either for or against.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #191
Newton's probably a better example, since Einstein believed in the "abstract deistic sense" which *i apparently doesn't count as really being religious.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #192
The restriction was also on "modern" scientists, which I take to be someone in the twentieth century or later.

I don't know of anyone famous offhand — Stephen Hawking apparently believes in something relatively abstract, for instance — but I'm sure they're there.

EDIT: Why discout deistic belief, anyway? A deistic god is still a god.

[ Saturday, January 29, 2005 15:33: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #193
quote:
The most obvious example of a scientist with religious beliefs is Einstein, as you undoubtedly know, but I'm sure there are many others.
We come to a definition of terms here. It is true Einstein had "religious beliefs", but they are completely unlike traditional ones. The supposed religious beliefs of Einstein are often touted by those wanting to support their belief system saying that science supports the existence of a god. Another example of this misuse is when people state that Einstein flunked out of school. While this is true, it was because of his rebellous nature and not because of his incompetence.

Einstein believed in the Spinoza God. It can be summarized by this: the essence of a god exists in everything in nature. In short, nature is god and does not exist outside of the universe with any omniponent power. Einstein did not believe in a supreme being, or a "Personal God" as he called it.

Einstein's "religion" was very non-traditional. It is out of respect and inquiry for nature that shapes his religion and value systems. They are admirable values, no doubt.

To reiterate my main point: Einstein did NOT believe in a supernatural being or "Personal God".

Given the definition of God and religious alluded to by many of the people in this post, I would say that the statement that Einstein does not believe in them. This is, in fact, a contridiction to the definition of God you proposed. Most modern scientists have this interpretation of the meaining of god.

So I ask you again, where are these other great scientists that support the existence of a supreme supernatural being?

I agree that science does not have any say on whther there is or is not a God.

[ Saturday, January 29, 2005 15:34: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #194
I meant a "god" by the common usage of the word, not any particular kind of god. A deistic god works just as well to support my point, which is simply that science has nothing to say on the issue of gods.

--------------------

BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #195
Not really worthwhile to argue the point further, so I won't bother.

Dr Len Sharp Ph.d is one modern day scientist with a strong religious belief who comes to mind. He's an Australian scientist based in Lightning Ridge, NSW. For those who don't know, that's where a whole bunch of opal mines are. The commonly accepted belief was that opals take millions of years to form. Being a Creationist, he didn't believe this to be true, so he set out to see if he could discover how they actually do form. He now grows opal seams in vegemite jars. Takes about 2 weeks.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #196
Fantastic proof, please? If that's so, the bottom should have fallen out of the opal market entirely.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #197
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I am giving you a third concept of a "god": a powerful, invisible being. That's a god in the traditional sense, the way the ancient Greeks, Romans, Hindus, and many others thought of a god.
Okay before I get to trying to work with your ambiguous definition(which I will do since I do not see you providing any clearer one anytime soon), what is the point of calling YOUR proposal "the traditional" concept? THe reason why the gods of early polytheistic religions were not "all powerful" is because gods, like anything else, evolve. The earliest inclination when humans were creating gods to explain things was to create a new god to explain each thing needing an explanation. Poseidon ruled the seas and caused tidal waves. Zeus ruled the gods themselves and caused lightning, etc.
When competing religions were encounterd or invented, of course the tendency was to make sure YOUR gods were more powerful than the other guy's gods. Eventually someone trumped all of polytheism by creating a single God who had all the power imaginable and more! The equivalent of two lovers arguing over who loves who more when finally one of them says "I love you INFINITY!" and the debate ends.
Furthermore, your proposal is NOT the "common" definition of God by any stretch of the imagination. Right now there is a trend, that only recently really got rolling, to define God as NOT being "omni-(fill in the blank)" because the internet has made it much easier to find out just how full-of-holes those concepts are. It is a sort of back-peddling to escape falling into the paradoxes theists have dug for themselves.

Does this make your invisible, "merely powerful but not ALL-powerful God more likely?

only if we grant you the leeway to define the universe, atoms, the sun etc. as "God", which I do NOT grant. We already have words for naturally occuring entities and phenomenae. Renaming them "God" is like renaming a poodle "Sasquatch" to proove that bigfoot may exist.

Now as for your not-quite-specific definition of "invisible and powerful sentient being", sorry but no. Such a thing cannot exist unless you are talking about an earthly creature with incredible camoflauge capability(maybe an octopus would qualify as God?) but I do not think you are. I think you are proposing a thing with no physical brain that yet thinks. That is like saying there is an animal with wags the tail it does not have or walks but has no legs. You can call that a semantic argument if it will help you sleep better but that is my position.

Again, you have a few options here to support your claim: 1)Show us a sentient being or thought that exists without a brain or 2)Cough up an invisible, brained creature/entity that is "powerful"(whatever that means).

quote:
If you want further definition of what I mean, I refer you to those forms of religion for their definitions of gods.
So I should take Zeus as an example of a God that might exist?

quote:
In order to completely discount divinity, you must provide some sort of reason why that kind of god cannot not exist.
quote:

Done that. You just aren't getting what I am saying. A transcendent deity cannot exist because the very definition of "beyond our reality and therefore not constrained by the limitations inherent in our universe" excludes such a thing being part of our reality and universe.

quote:
Otherwise you can only say that an all-powerful, all-present, all-knowing God doesn't seem logically possible, but gods could exist, and while they are not necessarily the most likely explanations of events — nor the most useful — they are possible.
I disagree and I do not even bother much tackling traditional Abrahamic notions of the tri-omni God anymore. It is old hat and most theologians I encounter have conceded that battle by now.

quote:
quote:
It is not up to me to define an unlimited number of possible existential claims that can be made and refute them. Define "God" adn tehn we will talk about it.
I would've thought that the onus was on you, because you're trying to disprove a commonly held (or at least controversial).

One of the main reasons I stayed away from strong atheism for years was because of the commonly held notion(which I accepted) that saying "God does not exist" is a positive assertion which entails the burden of proof. I no longer believe that is so. Even strong atheism is a negative response to a positive claim(that "God exists") adn when you factor in the law of non-contradiction argument, strong atheism is clearly NOT a positive assertion which demands prrof. It is still a negative and you cannot prove a negative. I am saying that not only do I lack gods, but the universe also lacks gods because the concept is counter-logical. If someone told you your house was on fire and not burning or your dog had been hit by a car was inside sleeping, you would dismiss the claims as nonsense.

But somehow "God" gets a hall pass to roam the corridors of absurdity.

quote:
In order to do that, you would have to define your term and then refute it.
YOU have said that God may exist. I asked you to define "God" because otherwise you might as well have said "The Snozzwoggler may exist." It is YOUR assertion, not mine. You define it otehrwise I have no idea what we are discussing.

quote:
I claim that your definition of "God" above is terrible and does fit the normal usage of the word.
My definition(such as it is) fits 99% of the Gods still around today. The reason why so many Gods are described as "transcendent" or "beyond time, space and the physical universe" is because, as usual, they do not see how big the whole is they are digging. They mean to dig an escape tunnel to evade the watchmen of reason but they do not stop digging until they hit magma and when they look up, there are those watchmen, shaking their heads in bemused resignation.

quote:
A god can just be a powerful, invisible, intelligent being — the humanoid intelligence is what distinguishes it from any sort of natural phenomena.
If it has human intelligence then it has a brain. If you claim that God can run really fast then this means it has physical legs, unless you are defining 'run' as something else like 'floating' or teleporting.

quote:
[b]If science were necessarily atheistic, then why have the best scientists often been religious?
[/b]

Even though Stareye was all over this one I will add that not only was Einstein religious(he called it "Cosmic religious feeling" but he was also defniately an atheist. He identified as believing in a Spinozan God-concept in polite company. Baruch Spinoza was a sort of father of pantheism but whereas SPinoza's pantheism was sort of ambiguous about whether "God" was merely a synonym for "universe" or whether God was an independent entity, modern pantehism(which started with Einstein) was much less so.

quote:
Originally written by Albert Einstein:
The more a man is imbued with the ordered regularity of all events the firmer becomes his conviction that there is no room left by the side of this ordered regularity for causes of a different nature. For him neither the rule of human nor the rule of divine will exist as an independent cause of natural events.
- Albert Einstein, Science, Philosophy, and Religion, A Symposium, published by the Conference on Science, Philosophy and Religion in Their Relation to the Democratic Way of Life, Inc., New York, 1941

The above quote is one of MANY in which he denounces or dismisses the transcendent and supernatural. It is a clear endorsement of naturalism.

Einstein was a product of his times. Back then "atheist" was a dirty word that was commoinly thought to mean someone with sever character flaws, irrationally stubborn and hateful towards the religious or God. Given that characterization it is no wonder he did not come out and use the word, instead saying much the same thing with less economical and more eloquent prose. You have to read AROUND his dismissal of "personal gods" to see that he also dismissed every quality attributed to ANY transcendent god-concept. Too often, theists will dwell on the "Personal God" portion and conclude that this must mean he accepted some less personal god-concept.
Einstein was not "without religion" but he WAS "without gods". "God" was a metaphor for "nature" or "universe".

Currently some 60% of all NAS scientists are atheist. That is including scientists from ALL fields imaginable. When you narrow it down to the "hard sciences" of Astrophysics, biology, geology etc., the number grows dramatically and if you count ONLY the biologists, less than 5% of those are theists of any sort and of those who are, most are deists, fideists and theistic pantheists.

The more you know about how the universe works, the less apt you are to have god-beliefs.

quote:
Let me draw an analogy. One person looks at a flower and says, "It's beautiful." Another person looks at it and says, "No, it's not." Does science have any interest in this situation or ability to render judgment on which one is right?
False analogy. Neither of them CAN BE "right". It is impossible to assign an objective "TRUE"/"FALSE" condition to such a subjective evaluation.

"God exists"("existence" being employed in teh same usage as one says "Trees exist") is a whole different animal. When you say "God exists" you are making a fundemental claim about the nature of reality and THAT is the domain of science!

quote:
Obviously not. But why? The critical point here is that no experiments can be done that would demonstrate the truth or falsity of either claim.
Nope. THe default status of an existential claim which does not follow from rules of inference is "FALSE" until you show otherwise. If you say "God exists", the scientist asks "What is "God" and where does it exist?". Eventually you must provide mechanisms and such adn tell what God is made of and therefore how you are able to discern/infer his existence. IF you say "He is made of 'spirit'" then the onus is upon you to cough up some "spirit" so that scientists can get to developing a "Spiritometer" to track down God. If you cannot give us some "spirit" then your claim is either false or not worth considering for it's truth-status.

If God is an unfalsifiable hypothesis then that ends the debate right there. It's not "Brilling in the Slithey Toaves.". It is not even a 40% chance of "brilling". Brilling, slithey and toaves are not words. It is complete nonsense.(the above borrowed from Charles Fiterman's B-Net defenses of materialism and science).

quote:
Does science then indicate that the flower is not beautiful? No, science doesn't suggest an answer one way or another, because no data can be gathered.
If NO DATA CAN BE GATHERED for something with an alleged independent existence, then what does that tell us about the claim? There is no possibility of an elephant being in my trunk because if an elephant were in my trunk and I had reason to say this was so, then there would be measurable effects that indicate this. It is not that my 'Trunk elephant detector' is on the fritz if I can find no warping or damage to my trunk. It is because the elephant in question does not exist.

quote:
Similarly, no data can be gathered on "gods" at this point. Does science then render the judgment that gods can't exist?
No but again, this is a strawman adn I am not sure how I got haranged into playing Devil's advocate on this one. Science is atheistic in that it lacks gods in the same way that a couch is atheistic. Doesn't mean that the person sitting on the couch or doing science must be an atheist and especially not a "strong atheist".

quote:
[b]I know what your objection is going to be: the description of the flower is a qualitative one, whereas the existence of a being is a quantitative one (a binary, where 0 is non-existence and 1 is existence). I would suggest, though, that this difference is not the crucial point; rather, the similar lack of ability to test is important.
[/b]

I could not disagree more! You are employing and advocating the old "bat-and-switch" scam with words. it does not logically follow that if I can find a Matisse painting attractive, God must be possible to exist in the same sense that the tree outside my window does.

[/qb]The same "definition" as in the previous sentence: the definition (by standard usage) of the word "god."[/qb]

THere is no such animal. YOU are(even if only to play an advocate role) making the assertion that something you call "God" might exist. Now, in the last few months alone, I have heard "God" defined as the universe, the sun, Kim Jong Il/divine emporers, Eric Clapton, the tri-omni YawWeh/Allah/Jehova, various emotional qualities like love, fear, trust, hope etc., Extraterrestrials, and various vaccuous ontological, spiritual nothings.

Many people assure me that there's is the "real"/traditional/standard/common defintion. I am tired of guessing.
Define this thing you think may exist and tell us why you draw such an inference. If your God is a "transcendent" God then he is impossible for logical reasons. If he is merely a natural phenomenom then he is no God to me.

quote:
quote:
I never said(or thought) such a thing. AGAIN, this is a strawman.
That is exactly what you said. You said, "T[h]e only grounds I would bother contesting your hypothetical god is if you are saying it is 'wise' but has no physical brain. Sentience is a property emergent from brained entities. Something cannot have brain functions and lack a brain."

The "I never thought..." thing is in refernce to your stating that I was guilty of "thinking that what we know now is all that there is to know". THAT is the strawman and bears NO relation to my position. It is the equivalent of arguing against someone's flat-tax proposal by creating adn then knocking down the strawman of "Someone who thinks he's better than us!". It is a pathetic attempt to sway otehrs by painting me as someone motivated by a conviction that I already know everything or some such ridiculousness.

quote:
If "Sentience is a property emergent from brained entities" doesn't obviously indicate "The only possible sentience emerges from brain activity," then what on earth does it mean?
Saying sentience can exist in some nebulous "other way" without providing a descriptive mechanism to illustrate your claim is like saying "God did it!" when asked what went wrong with the car. It is, until you define your calim better, a nonsense statement which I am not inclined to ponder. I have no idea how something could "wal" without having legs('walk-enablers') and I have no idea how something could "think" without a 'brain'('thought-enabler'). Until you show me a thought enabler that is NOT made of meat and is instead made of some "spirit" or pieces of magic, I dismiss your claim as not possible in THIS reality.

quote:
Let me summarize my objections so that we don't get bogged down in details. You have claimed, from a number of different branches of thought, that no gods exist. (If this is not your claim, you may wish to state explicitly what you're arguing before you scream "STRAWMAN!!11" hysterically.)
How ironic. You commit a strawman by characterizing me as someone prone to "screaming strawman hysterically".

quote:
You have used logic and science to try to back up your claim. I argue that science has nothing to say on the matter either way, and logic doesn't disprove the existence of gods by the normal definition, despite pointing out some contradictions in the specific case of one popular kind of god, the second kind of god in your examples above.
If science has nothing to say on the matter either way, then fairies and dragons have a roughly 50% chance to exist, correct?

of course not. Science goes so far as to say that such things, as per the descriptions provided, do not likely exist in THIS universe. Where pure science stops, logic takes over. If your God is both "beyond" and "within" our reality then he is logically impossible.

--------------------
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #198
quote:
Originally written by Bad-Ass Mother Custer:

Fantastic proof, please? If that's so, the bottom should have fallen out of the opal market entirely.
Fantastic proof ahoy.

I messed up on his name, though. It's Len Cram, not Len Sharp. Don't know how I got that one wrong.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #199
quote:
Originally written by PoD person:

quote:
Enter Wile E. Coyote and the Smurfs . . .

Only kidding; however, if someone continually compares an important, gravely serious cornerstone of your belief system to cartoon characters, basically just for effect, it can grow irksome in the extreme.

WHy is my (admittedly hypothetical but that isn't the point) belief in the existence of Wile E. or ssmurfs automatically regarded as somehow beneath your equally unsupported belief in God(s)? You make the all too common error of assuming that your existential claim/belief gets a free pass that claims/beliefs you do not happen to share enthusiasm for do not.

Like it or not there is an equal amount of evidence supporting God(no matter HOW important it is to YOU) and Cartoon characters and dragons.

Here is Charles Fiterman's' original piece that does a better job of explaining this point I think:

quote:
God is a common name often given to gods just as Dog is a common name often given to dogs. It is not a special case. You cannot define God anymore than you can define Fred.

There is a vague common notion of what the word means in this forum. If you have some special meaning such as "The Floogle predefining all Bugles under but not including kumquats." your meaning is something else enterely and your version of God may well exist or not exist or be nonsense. Most gods are small statues and exist. The common meaning is something close to the Christian God.

God must exist in some sense or we couldn't be discussing him. I think the sense in which he exists is as a persistant made up thing, a relative of Superman and Wile E. Coyote. If so I don't have to prove what he isn't because it's so very plain what he is.

He is a member of a large class of highly similar beings who systematically violate physical law in steriotyped ways. As the name implies and every Bible admits God is a god. This is a very large problem. Anything that violates physical law is very likely a myth. If I have to choose between some god and ordinary physical reality, the real world is going to win.

And God claims exclusivity. If God exists; Zeus, Quetzalchoatal, etc. do not and vice versa. Any argument for God must have an addendum demonstrating why it isn't an argument for Huitzelpolchitli instead.

In the case of Pascal's wager it must demonstrate why it isn't an argument for worshiping Kim Jong Il who seems a far better target for an argument based on bribes and terror. In the case of moral arguments nature worship must be eliminated and it seems a far better target for an argument based on benefiting the world.

Like Superman, God has a history, descriptions of him change over time. Like Superman he is the product of known processes operating for known reasons at known times.

Like Superman God has a copyright. Wherever you see Superman you see the claim that DC comics or some such corporate entity owns him. If he was real they wouldn't dare. Superman would leave them stranded on the dark side of the moon.

God is far greater than Superman but every religion claims a copyrite. There is no god but God and the nasty little man with pointed teeth is his prophet. God let his only son die under torture to avenge his own anger against a man and woman four thousand years dead.

Like Wile E. Coyote God's motives are mysterious if you think him real but easy and obvious if you consider what he really is. Why does Wile E. buy a heat seeking missile and not food? Because it's funny and the point of Wile E. Coyote is to be funny. Why does God demand belief, because belief supports a priest class and the point of gods is to support priests. Why does God allow a tsunami to kill so many harmless people, dogs, goats and even beetles. Because God is a made up thing and made up things have no power over earthquakes.
quote:
On the other hand, I believe that your "disproof" of a Transcendent God is seriously flawed. By the same logic you use, string theory and its eleven dimensions are impossible.
No. By itself, the notion of other dimensions existing within reality is not logically inconsistent. But if a String theorist tries to explain away flaws that ARE revealed at some point by saying "It's not a contradiction in Bizzaro's dimension!" then the whole thing is nonsense.

quote:
Also, it relies on the assumption that God has not intervened in the realm which we can perceive, and the Creator and I would obviously dispute that.
Dispute away! Give us a single example of an event that is best explained by God.

quote:
You also insist on considering the concept physically, as opposed to metaphysically.
Science and Logic can, with time, provide an infinite amount of answers concerning the laws of the universe, but when asked "Why?" the laws are a certain way, it can point only to other laws.

Asking "why" is begging the question. You are presuming there is a "why" reason. It is like when creationsits argue that evolution cannot tell us why we are here or what the meaning of life is. Not only does evolution have nothing to do with such matters, who says there is a "meaning" or purpose to existence?

quote:
e.g. Atoms act a certain way because their particles act a certain way, and their particles act that way because they are composed of quarks and gluons, which in turn act a certain way. Somewhere along this chain of reasoning, however, we run into a wall. Science can define the reasons for phenomena with ever-increasing accuracy, but where it fails is defining the reason(s) for that/those reason(s).
If physics tells us anything it is that existence is infinite regress. We will NEVER find the "ultimate cause" because no such thing exists. Everything can be traced to still "smaller"(for lack of a better word) causes.

quote:
When one traipses along through such meta-science (although the word science does not apply at all here, sans the existence of any sort of Scientific Method), one finds that Occam's Razor, which you feel compelled to invoke to disprove instances of supernatural intervention, is actually on one's side. The simplest reason for all the various reasons defined by science is the existence of a God. I believe in God because "That's just the way things are," is simply not adequate explanation for me.
You are the latest in a long line of people who misunderstand Occam's razor. "God did it" is far from the "simplest" explanation. In fact, you cannot get any more needlessly complex than that!

OR states that we do not unecessarily multiply entities for explanation(not "the shortest sentence wins!"). If I find a nail in my flat tire then the nail is what likely caused the flat. I do NOT invoke magical, nail-lobbing gremlins because they are an unecessary multiplication of entities.
A nail suits just fine adn the most reasonable explanations for the nail are all mundane(e.g. the nail fell off a truck hauling lumber or somesuch).

--------------------

Pages