New look for www.spidweb.com

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New look for www.spidweb.com
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

It's certainly a lot more fun than most BoE/BoA scenarios.
Ouch, Drakey. Ouch. :P
I'm waiting for TM to react to that...

Mostly, the valuable information in the interview seemed to be

quote:
As for Geneforge 3's setting, most of the game takes place on the Ashen Isles, a chain of five islands that is remote but influential. It is a place of Shaper learning and research. There is a lot of power there, which is why the course of the rebellion there is highly significant.

The environments of the islands vary widely. One is swampy, one is dry and rocky, and the northernmost is a wind-blasted sheet of rock and ice. Each has its own flora and fauna, and its own set of challenges.
Which means that not only has the timeless Island-cliche proven useful once again, but also GF is beginning to look like an Arcade Jump&Run. I just hope you won't have those islands all lined up in a row numbered Levels 1-5 and there's a boss at the end of each one... :rolleyes:

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #26
Hey - don't knock arcade jump & runs! Hudson's Adventure Island was one of my faves back in the day. :D
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #27
I have nothing against Jump&Runs. But I prefer RPGs with a passionate bias, and I liked Spiderweb Software games for their plots (see, I'm neither a nine-year-old nor a septuagenarian eskimo). Geneforge, in spite of all the bad things that may be said about it, does have an intriguing and complex plot. For the third one to lose this and enter a genre that - while perfectly fine in its own right - would not fit the deeper character of the whole series, would be disappointing. ;)

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #28
So I guess this tells us not only that GF3 is next and A4 is after that, but GF4 is after that, and then maybe something else, and then a GF5.

I... suppose I'm not entirely opposed to this. He has not yet bequeathed GF to the community via a scenario editor, so making more games does not have the potential to conflict horribly. GF, with its scripting engine, does have the potential to be more varied than Exile or Avernum could have been with the same monsters.

But... I don't know. I bought A3, GF2, and BoA all immediately after they came out. I might just wait a while before I get GF3.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #29
Oh, come now. Surely you've noticed the presence of areas, often islands, with different themes in RPGs as well? Often somehow linked with elements? I can handle the islands, especially if they aren't the lairs of elemental monsters whose powers combine to blah blah blah blah.

—Alorael, who probably won't purchase Geneforge 3 just like he didn't purchase Geneforge 1 or 2. It's an engine complaint, not a plot complaint.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #30
I kind of like the new site. It's better, anyway. However, like Thuryl, I too have a white strip under the "Home" button. MSN Explorer, that might be the problem.

Anyway, urr, that Google catch thingy is reset to the new page also. Get used to it, I guess.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
Or trust someone to mirror it. I don't think it has any use, but it's good to have it available still.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #32
I'm guessing this new look happened on Jan. 13. It's a nice change from the other one. The old one was around for quite some time wasn't it. 3 years maybe? =\
*- approved*

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #33
Around three years, but not more. I remember seeing an older look before the wood theme, and I only visited the site in Summer 2001 at the earliest (I remember downloading BoE at that time). This is the third design I've seen.

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
quote:
Originally written by *i:

quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I don't understand why a lot of people hate Geneforge. It's certainly a lot more fun than most BoE/BoA scenarios.
Well, GF games cost $30 whereas BoE scenarios are dirt cheap on a per scenario basis. The expectations are higher, and there are some BoE scenarios that are better than any Geneforge game.

Oh yes, I have a funny feeling there will be a Geneforge 4.

And a Geneforge 5, and a Geneforge 6, maybe a Blades of Geneforge.

Then he will be reviving an old favorite. I've got a reasonably strict NDA, but I don't think I'll be spoiling anything by telling you it's called Hel and involves the Geneforge engine.

[ Monday, January 17, 2005 00:36: Message edited by: Fear Uncertainty and Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
Hel = Avernum = Exile?

Or is this even more nasty than I thought?

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
I like the new layout, except for the white strip in between, "Home" and "Our Games".
Me too.

--------------------
"Fair and unbiased"
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #37
I think it's a pretty-pretty good.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #38
Wow...This is a day i never thought would come. I remember first visiting spidweb.com almost 10 years ago, when I first started playing the Exile games (off the "Best Shareware Games of 1995" CD), back when you were supposed to register with some other company (maybe something with an A?), and I'm pretty sure this is the first change, or maybe the second since then. I'm impressed.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #39
It's definitely at least the fourth or fifth layout for the site.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5406
Profile #40
i like the new layout, it looks cool.
Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #41
I like how around the edges of the screenshots, from the interview someone linked to, it says "GENEFOREG". Or not. Someone should slip Jeff a note about it.

Oh, I like the new design though.

--------------------
Drama queens and long sigs suck. Cut the crap.
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #42
i like the new look

-waffle guy, who thinks that alorael should stop talking in third person because it makes him look very stupid (barely restraining self to use stronger words)

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #43
When you can duplicate my signature properly, you can chide me for using it. Actually, I'd prefer that you neither use it nor chide me for it, but that's your choice.

—Alorael, who refers to himself in the first person in the body of his post and in the third person in his signature. He's done it for years and he'll keep doing it indefinitely. Learn to love pretentions!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by Circuit Dance:

Learn to love pretentions!
In fact, learning to neither copy nor chide Alorael's signature is one of the marks of outgrowing newbiehood. :P
Edit:

—Arancaytar, who can indeed do it properly, but still would prefer not to. Being a newbie is one thing, never living to become an oldbie is another.

[ Thursday, January 20, 2005 03:51: Message edited by: Where twilight lies upon the knees ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #45
unless you do it on purpose and do it properly.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #46
i hate being called a newbie. i have been playing these games for like 2 years or longer now and do not consider myself a newbie since the first year.

-Waffle guy, who believes that anly arogant people talk in third person and therefore alorael should be publicly executed

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #47
—Arancaytar, who thinks it is only arrogant if you can't use the m-dash. Besides, it is dangerous to talk about arrogance to Alorael if you still intend to walk through a street after night time and survive...

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #48
I wonder who was brilliant enough to give access to all of our IP info to a professed sniper. :eek:

Don't worry some people just "grow" out of "newbiehood" slower than others.

Edit:

Yeah I was thinking about putting that in but decided not to. :cool:

[ Thursday, January 20, 2005 09:16: Message edited by: Macrsp ]
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #49
And some never do. ;)

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00

Pages