Bad Grammar = Rampant

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Bad Grammar = Rampant
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #0
Has anyone else noticed the extreme drop in grammar and accurate spelling lately? Is it that I am simply paying more attention to the errors or that the intelligence level of this board has dropped considerably? I know that a few people will spell words incorrectly from time to time (including myself). However, I feel that someone who can't be bothered with hitting a few extra buttons in order to make their posts legible and sane, should, simply, not be replied to. Maybe it's just me, but it disturbs me.

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #1
I was going to post a sarcastic response with lots of bad grammar and typos, but then I read another post, and yeah, you're right.

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #2
Some of the examples you see are from other countries where english is not the first language. I would have no idea how to post a coherent question on a Finnish or German discussion board...

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #3
My grammar is fine.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by My Quasimodo:

Some of the examples you see are from other countries where english is not the first language. I would have no idea how to post a coherent question on a Finnish or German discussion board...
I think he hit the nail on the head. If internet english is all some people see/have to lern from, well God help 'em.

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Captain Obvious:
However, I feel that someone who can't be bothered with hitting a few extra buttons in order to make their posts legible and sane, should, simply, not be replied to.
You are positively engorged on commas, sir.

In other news, you are perhaps too new to know this, but people post topics about the deterioration of these boards on a fairly regular basis. In fact, between this and the collaboration request for BoA, I'm beginning to wonder when the next "Is BoE dead?" topic will show up.

But anyway, unless these boards have deteriorating continuously since they first came into existence, someone people along the line must have just been imagining it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
I've noticed a slight increase in newbies asking questions without paying much attention to the niceties of proper English (and a few resurfaced and unrepentant oldbies), but it's not as thought the internet itself has suddenly taken a fatal plunge into incoherence.

Look on the bright side! Most of su stil speeks good!!!!!!

—Alorael, who apologizes for that highly unnecessary and not even original tidbit. You can just keep on awaiting the death knell of English.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #7
Maybe people are wither getting lazy or getting used to using improper grammar and using it here.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #8
I insist on proper grammer, and always will.

I'm tired of "wut, u, there (in wrong contexts), were (supposed to be 'where')" and other such idiocies. How hard is it to type the one more key to look halfway mature?

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
Your beauty is beyond compare
With flaming locks of auburn hair
With ivory skin
And eyes of emerald green

Your smile is like a breath of spring
And your voice is soft like a summer rain
And I cannot compete with you Jolene
And he talks about you in his sleep
And there is nothing I can do to keep
From crying when he calls your name, Jolene

Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene,
I'm begging of you please don't take my man

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #10
I tend to use improper grammar on MSN but am able to pull myself enough to use proper grammar here. Don't y'all just feel special.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #11
i refuse to capitalize i's and first letters of sentences unless it's an RP post or a proper noun.

EDIT: or sigs and all caps trolling, come to think about it.

[ Tuesday, January 11, 2005 12:46: Message edited by: Wisemanism: the Religion ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #12
I think being so concerned about good grammar and good spelling is being pedantic, like a pundit, and anal retentive.

I completely excuse the people who speak English as a second language, but those who live in a very dominantly English country should really learn to use it more properly.

I am not as annoyed with people who use very mean, slang phrases and excessive "include-all words because everyone should know what I mean" as those who are not concise. Adding a few extra words for clarity is fine, but multiplying words is silly.

Spelling only seems to be a problem for a short time when people first come to the boards.

I try to spell everything correctly only because I hope I do not get the habit of spelling you "u" or through "thru" (though that was done in some newspapers for a time) when I have to type something important.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Apprentice
Member # 5380
Profile #13
Yeah, that grammar thang. Watched the 60 minutes episode about Google, and they are planning on coming out with an innovative feature for the internet, since it is world-wide, that will allow you to type a message entirely in your native language, and then press a button and it will translate it into whatever language you need. Lets hope it also includes a spell checker. =)

Anyone who hasn't seen that 60 minutes on Google, should, as it'll show you how to get rich. ;-) Google has Bill Gates worried, lol. (Hey I'M the only Billionaire software company) ;-)

And I'm a newb here. Bought Nethergate, many years ago. Plan on trying out the other games in time. Itz cool there is at least one software company out there not willing to get on their knees and blow the graphic card manufacturers, or sacrifice game play and content for better graphics.

I'm still into playing MUDs and Rogue-likes, as opposed to brainless "Dungeon Siege" eye-candy. =)

Lawler
Warrior
Member # 37
Profile #14
I weened myself from such phrase substitutions years ago, starting around when I first joined the Ikonboards. The beauty of a well-written sentence has, over the years, come to tickle my aesthetic sense. Nevertheless, I remember when all you would hear out of me was "hi lol this game is cool and u r not lolol."
I shudder when I look back upon those days.

--------------------
{Tempus} jack thompson? ppl actually admire that freak?
{@Fanateeq72802} Not everyone disagrees with him.
{+iris} Someone should send him a few of the more steamy Japanese dating sim games. His head would explode.
{@Fanateeq72802} And I'd laugh. Hard.
{Tempus} im on it. brb
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #15
wut r u l sein???

Really, though. As long as I can understand what you're trying to say, spelling and grammar errors only bother me slightly. If you're attempting to look intelligent and proper, you should probably speak using proper English (or proper form of the language of your choice) instead of mangling it, but if you're just trying to quickly post a message...
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Wisemanism:
the Religion:
i refuse to capitalize i's and first letter's of sentences unless it's an RP post or a proper noun.

But you're quite comfortab'le with those apostrophe's, yes Wisey? :P

What annoys me is that a lot of those grammar mistakes are *not* made by second language speaker, but intentionally, to look cool. No matter what the mother tongue is, it is inexcusable 2 use numbers 4 words. And those ellipses... they really bother the hell out of me... don't you think? :rolleyes:

[ Monday, January 10, 2005 22:13: Message edited by: Through Evernight he Back was Borne ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
Aran, if you pay careful atention, you may have noticed a certain trend in the replies to this thread.

Oh, and

quote:
(I) am able to pull myself enough to use proper grammar here.
AHH

[ Tuesday, January 11, 2005 02:43: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Brevity is not my forte. Use of ellipses... is. Although I like to think that I... do better... than this... most of the... time.

On that note, I am also a great lover of fragments. Fragments are wonderful. Very, very wonderful!

I recognize that I am excessively judgemental on the basis of how people write, and I make no apologies for it. (On the other hand, isn't that pretty much the greatest form of internet discrimination? Hmm.) However, there comes a point at which nonstandard English is still understandable but noticeably harder to read. Call me crazy, but I don't like to have to work to decipher what someone says. The little things like they're/there/their are just pet peeves.

—Alorael, who hasn't heard about Google's upcoming take on Babelfish. If it works better than Babelfish, he'll be shocked. If it doesn't, what's the use?
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #19
I dn't tink da' gremmer's tu aufwly waffle in ere. I's sern plas's with sevrl tim's worsener langage. Culd ardly under'stn it.

But actually, ever noticed how you never really read words, you simply look at them and recognize? So I suppose it dosn't make that much difference now does it? :P

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #20
lolol wuts tis engish class lol ur moms a fag

Bash.org reveals all the pearls of humankind for everyone to study. I have noticed that spelling and grammar order goes something like this: AOL user - average American internet user - average internet user who speaks English as a second language - grammar/spelling whores.

Oh, and your mom is so fat that she receives -8 to her armor class.

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #21
-8 would make her practically unhittable!

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #22
Amusingly, that joke works for 2nd and 3rd edition rules. In 2nd edition, the lower your armor class is the harder it is to damage you. This can either mean that the attack is a complete miss or cannot penetrate your armor. So your mom is so fat it is impossible to damage her.

In 3rd edition, the higher your armor class is the harder it is to damage you. In this case, your mom is so fat it is almost impossible not to hit her with an attack.

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
Total, unabashed nerdiness has its charm. I'm not sure if it goes well with many flexible appendages, though...

Mnug: atclaluy, rsacereh sowhs taht wrdos are rdaelbe as lnog as the fsrit and lsat ltertes are in tiher poerpr pacles.

—Alorael, who isn't really sure that his example is a good one. He wrote it and it gives him a headache.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Whume:

Mnug: atclaluy, rsacereh sowhs taht wrdos are rdaelbe as lnog as the fsrit and lsat ltertes are in tiher poerpr pacles.
Of ce, tt oy ws if te or ls ae in te se.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages