Bad Grammar = Rampant

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Bad Grammar = Rampant
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #26
I can read Thuryl's pretty easily except for the last word.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #27
Babelfish?! Arrrghh! I certainly hope that I don't have to read non-English text that gets translated with Babelfish...

(The text above "translated" with Altavista Babelfish into Dutch and back:

"Babelfish?! Arrrghh! I hope certainly that I don't not English texts must read which with Babelfish... are translated..."

And into Portuguese and back:

"Babelfish! Arrrghh! I wait certainly that I don't has that to read the text Non-Inglês who starts translated with the Babelfish...")

Or at least they must first develop it VERY much. ;)

quote:
If internet english is all some people see/have to lern from, well God help 'em.
In Finland and many other countries there are also lots of English language movies and TV shows with subtitles. Of course I can't speak for those who watch movies that are dubbed into their language... Anyway, English is also popular in schools.

[ Tuesday, January 11, 2005 14:39: Message edited by: Milu ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I can read Thuryl's pretty easily except for the last word.
"Somewhere".

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #29
I like it when people use apostrophes in the wrong places at school (usually the "cool" and "preppy" kids). Then I get to laugh at them...and ellipses. They can't use them either. :P

[ Tuesday, January 11, 2005 15:01: Message edited by: Zxquez Zolohahni ]

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #30
Wow, Alo's little segment actually had me thinking they were only minor spelling mistakes until I saw that all the inside letters were randomly scrambled. That was cool.

Thuryl's, on the other hand, I can't get. Sue me.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Whume:

Mnug: atclaluy, rsacereh sowhs taht wrdos are rdaelbe as lnog as the fsrit and lsat ltertes are in tiher poerpr pacles.

—Alorael, who isn't really sure that his example is a good one. He wrote it and it gives him a headache.

Alutacly, you are qtiue rhgit. Hveewor, I htae hvanig to rlol a Dhcpieer Srpict ccehk jsut to asnewr a qtsuieon taht semnooe mhgit hvae. Bonyed taht, I now htae you. It, aslo, deos not wrok wtih lgerar wdros scuh as: Moerseoloitgt

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #32
Well thank you captain obvious, Captain Obvious.

I have nothing against abverbial predicate fragments because they are almost always written with the author knowing he has written one, and it is good for effect. Certainly excusable.

Has anyone ever thought that English traditional orthography is pointlessly difficult to learn? Discuss.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #33
I can kinda read that crap, and I haven't seen that crap before. How tricky am I...dude.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
Apprentice
Member # 5373
Profile #34
I wish Google good luck with the Babblefish idea but I have serious doubts that it will work well. I once tried "chicken breast" in an online translator from English to French. It came back with "sein de poulet". Sein is the correct word for a mammal's teat but a chicken breast is "blanc de poulet". I am just glad I didn't go to the butcher's shop and use the translator's version.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
Ah... French-English. It once confused "City Wall" and "loudspeaker". And turned "happy news" into "new pregnancy". :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #36
I laugh at the french...the only thing they're good for is...I'm not going to say.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #37
Oh this takes me back. I remember when I was still a young and pretentious newbie (oh wait...) and decided to start an anti-grammatical error group here. The name eludes me, and anyway, the idea flopped completely.

But I don't think that it's the be-all and end-all. Seriously, does it matter if a few words are spelt wrong as long as the actual content of the post is worthwhile? It works for Yoda...

[ Wednesday, January 12, 2005 00:33: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Shuriken:

I laugh at the french...the only thing they're good for is...I'm not going to say.
Much as we Europeans laugh at the Americans... especially the ones who use ellipses... :)

quote:

a young and pretentious newbie
This board is populated by young and pretentious members. Once they are a regular poster for a few months, we call them oldbies.

Of course, a few aren't young, and they're a bit less pretentious. A bit.

[ Wednesday, January 12, 2005 03:33: Message edited by: Oer leagues unlit an foundr'd shore ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #39
I'm not American...Australian. HA!!! Oh crap..I'm half. Oh well. Crap happens. Hang on my last names French ahh crap.

--------------------

You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Whume:

Mnug: atclaluy, rsacereh sowhs taht wrdos are rdaelbe as lnog as the fsrit and lsat ltertes are in tiher poerpr pacles.

This works even for me, but I couldn't decipher Thuryl's.

:D SupaNik, I remember your grammar-club. Wasn't I the only one who wanted to join it?

It's still difficult for me to understand AOL-speak. What are ellipses?

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #41
Ellipses (s. Ellipsis are three dots (or complete sentences) separating sentence fragments... or sentences. Actually I think it's the same word in German. They're used when shortening quotes, or when indicating a pause in speech. When writing online, it is easy to use them excessively because some tend to think in spoken words rather than written text while posting.

[ Wednesday, January 12, 2005 03:43: Message edited by: Oer leagues unlit an foundr'd shore ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

:D SupaNik, I remember your grammar-club. Wasn't I the only one who wanted to join it?[/QB]
When you say it like that you make me ashamed I had anything to do with it! A "grammer-club!"

But, yeah, you were my only member, except me, and you even had a little plug to it in your signiture. If only I could've kidnapped Drakey or Alorael. Oh, those were the days...

Still, AOL talk isn't that difficult to understand. Just hit yourself on the head a few times before attempting it. I find big books work wonders.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #43
Most of it is excusable, I think. It's the horrid misuse of apostrophes that seems to be growing and invading the non-Internet. I've seen otherwise intelligent people writing garbage like "Iraqi's are unwilling...". Guess what? The only time we use apostrophes to pluralize are with single capital letters. Worst of all, though, is putting apostrophes on verbs that happen to end with an s. "It seem's that...". *shudder*

LAY OFF THE FSCKING APOSTROPHES! Please!
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #44
Dude, that apostrophy thing just lost me. I'm sure it has more than one use?

--------------------

You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #45
The apostrophe has many uses, but Nasarius is referring to the fact that one makes a plural noun by adding simple "s" or "es" as necessary. The apostrophe never comes into play, with one exception: letters (or more generally, characters). The plural of A is A's, but that is the only instance when it is proper to use an apostrophe while making a plural.

The apostrophe is also used for contractions ("it's" when you mean "it is") and possessives (Shuriken's post), and probably other things that I'm forgetting.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #46
Still lost. Stupid grammar, no wonder I failed english.

--------------------

You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
Tangentially related...

—Alorael, who doesn't like Iraqi's either, but it's not the Iraqis' problem that it's quite unfair when English works its evil ways upon men's minds. Fortunately, one languages apostrophic foibles are unlikely to become all languages' trouble in the near future.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Oer leagues unlit an foundr'd shore:

This board is populated by young and pretentious members. Once they are a regular poster for a few months, we call them oldbies.
NO! I'm still a newbie! Ask anyone!

Oh, yeah, isn't an apostrophe used after year number in cases such as "During the 1960's...," or am I wrong?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #49
Since people mostly don't seem to be deciphering mine, it's "Of course, that only works if the other letters are in there somewhere." Which was proven true by the fact that it's unreadable. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #50
Actually, I could read that perfectly fine...

--------------------

Pages