Speculating about Avernum 4's plot

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Speculating about Avernum 4's plot
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #100
There usually is a lot happening after wars are over. First off, there are huge amounts of unemployed soldiers, magicians, etc. wandering around who have to change their livelihood.

This leads to banditry, and the formation of fighting schools. Think about the German and Italian gentlemen's fencing schools, the Japanese wandering ronin. Blademaster school, Lightning strike school, etc.

You also get various weird philosophies cropping up. This could be represented by back things like a back to nature group that might teach pathfinder and nature lore, etc.

Also the government has to find things to do for these people-- send them off as explorers, pretend they are merchants and get them to found companies in foreign lands, etc.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #101
I've beaten A1. I've beaten A3. I'm about midway through A2, and I'm downloading BoA at first chance. I revoke my earlier post. I have a new idea for a plot :P

Given the events in A3, which I only recently started (three days ago), and beat (this morning), I'd say the following is very, very clear: The Vahnatai have a stronger tendency towards magic. Even thier "Warriors" know basic mage and priest spells. However, when thier strongest mage was pitted against the humans strongest mage, who started winning? BwaHA! granted, we all know how that turned out, and to avoid spoiling the plot for anyone I won't be too specific, but still. The Vahnatai might live longer, but they seem to have the EXACT SAME problem that Elves/Dwarves have in DnD. Slower, MUCH slower advancement, and they can only get so good. Meanwhile, humans can keep getting better and better till they're crotchety old farts who give of auras of intense power, and are capable of slaughtering even the oldest and strongest vahnatai, because the vahnatai just take too damned long. Even further evidence of this was provided by Jeff, whom I'm very impressed with at the moment. Thier Waveblades take MONTHS to complete even a single blade, thier razordisks take a week a piece or so! And a FINE waveblade takes forever. MEANWHILE, in A3, if you give mithril to the ultimate, reclusive, angry blacksmith, he turns it into the best sword in the game (if you like +1 AP) in just 10-15 days. And that sword is better than any vahnatai blade, both in min/max damage and damage per level. Not to mention, the outdoors makes the vahnatai weak as hell, as well. So, my idea for an A4 plot? The Vahnatai War is raging on. The empire, and even the avernites, are fighting a dead-end war with the Vahnatai. The Avernites can't facilitate the empire's teleportation of troops to the bottom, because if they did the state would be at much risk. So the good Sliths/Nephilim, and Avernum, are the only thing standing between the supremely pissed Vahnatai, and the Empire that can't handle a few stupid monster hordes that a single avernite adventurer can slaughter off (Gotta love playing singleton). So.....the battles are getting bloodier. The Vahntai are using the fact that every troop has magic, and thier superior numbers from awakening all thier numbers, against the avernites. The Vahnatai have perfectly crafted weapons, which while slow to craft, each Vahnatai probably has a weapon by now. The Avernites, being the most creative and intelligent minds in the empire (which is why they were banished, of course) is using guile and creativity to hold off the Vahnatai. But it can only hold so long. To lengthen this defense are the great heroes of A2, holding back the hordes. Keeping Vahnatai spies out are Unspecified Services, heroes of A3 with a vengeance, keeping good old King Micah from being assassinated as long as they can. Things begin to look grim, and Avernum needs a new ally. You begin play at this point, with available party members including Vahnatai (After slaughtering hordes of these things, I think thier stats would pretty much be: +to mage spells, meaning any Vahnatai can use magic, even without going out of thier way to learn it. Also more nimble, a bonus to Parry and Actions. Sounds pretty sick, dont it? A character with a base actions of 5 (because all vahnatai can attack with melee weapons twice per round if they dont move) and capable of using mage spells? And less likely to be hit, gosh, what could possibly stop these monsters. Then you add in the fact that Vahnatai have a severe EXP penalty (because they learn more slowly) and that any encumbring armor not only stops thier spells, but makes them weak in melee as well, due to thier light frames. Maybe require an insane, insane amount of Endurance to get thier AP back, and not allow them to cast spells unless they have full AP. Because as you might noticed, skilled as Vahnatai craftsmen are, they never wear armor, or anything in fact, but cloaks. And thats my two cents. Dont stealem :P
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #102
Sorry, while my last post was long, I left a few things out. Another Vahnatai disadvantage would be that while thier bonus to AP lets them attack twice in melee, they cant attack twice from range in a single round. Also they're weak in the sun, which I think would be done simply by removing all thier advantages while on the surface. As for the plot, your either a member of King Micah's personal guard, or even more elusively (and creative, and more likely given my experience with Jeff) you are a member of the Empire, but friendly to the Avernites. Last, but CERTAINLY not least, your are a Rebel against the Empire, and maybe you go to Avernum because you need to get off the surface because it's too dangerous, or maybe you just see it as a place you can help. Or more likely, you fight on both the surface AND in Avernum, which if your a Rebel against the empire, would be pretty damned cool IMO :P So. You start on the surface, to train, then you go to Avernum to help. The Vahnatai are preparing to use barriers to segment Avernum, and cause catastrophes all over the caves, are they? First of the three gamewinning quests: Find a way to stop this from happening. This might include taking out some large Vahnatai magical place, or whatnot. On the way, you hear about the Lost Bassikava. After taking down the magical place, your notified that while it's a grand victory, it's only a matter of time until the Vahnatai remake it and succeed. Avernum needs allies (second gamwinning quest), who are found in the slith hordes beneath the surface. But that turns out to not be enough, the Vahnatai are still too strong. To make matters worse, relations between Avernum and the Empire are thrown into a delicate balance when a group of rebels do something horrible to the empire (doesnt matter what) and are found to be in Avernum employ. So at this point even if avernum were willing to let empire soldiers in, they cant! Not to mention Avernums great strength, the Tower of Magi, cant help them much (refer to A3). So while the war rages on, you find even more allies on the surface, in places on would not expect: The Nephilim, maybe even the Troglodytes, and most importantly, your character goes to the Rebels. Into the main Rebel base against the empire, and enlists thier aid. Hence turning everything upside down and over again, Jeff-style. Especially if you START as an imperial troop and are forced to enlist the aid of the rebels :P So the fighting grows to a climax and of course you need to use the distraction to get in, kill whomevers in charge, and get the hell out of dodge, as the third quest : If you like my two vast posts, lemme know. If not, I wont post again, sorry for the spam-age.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #103
Solodric: paragraphs. No one is going to read that big, long mess.

Also, use the "edit" button to add something to a previous post, rather than double-posting.

And I have doubts that a playable vahnatai race is going to happen. It would certainly create a lot of disruption in BoA, since everyone would then want playable vahnatai in BoA, and Jeff almost certainly wouldn't provide that. Moreover, the vahnatai that Avernum had contact with (Rentar-Ihrno's clan) left after A3; where would a vahnatai PC come from?

I don't think this feature will be added.

[ Monday, January 31, 2005 05:24: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #104
Right, sorry for the lack of paragraphs, thanks for the note on the Edit button.

While it may be true that Rentar's clan fled, I seriously doubt they will stay gone for long. After all, look how quickly they managed to get those plagues going? Just a few years after they were woken up!

Anyway, I wasn't saying this was likely to be provided, I was just saying what I thought would make a badass Avernum game is all :P by the way.....who's saying A4 won't have just as much Editor-power as BoA? He's already decided to make A4, and theres no way in hell, frozen over or not, people will let him release it without a feature the old game had. And before you throw "What about the spells that A3 deleted out of A2 at me" which you might do, I dunno, allow me to point out most of those were replaced :P

Personally, I sincerely hope that A4 will have just as powerfull an editor. If not, well.....people are ALREADY going crazy asking for a Vahn race in BoA, so they can make cool scenarios with them :P The question is, is someone going to work for a while to improve the editor to allow new races to be made?

Personally, I know I'm going to give it a shot. I know several coders, and it would be very, very cool to have Jeff release a patch of thier work. Heck, I'll learn some extra coding myself if I can get a shot at THAT :P either way, What's above is my IDEA for A4, not necessarily whats likely to happen.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #105
A4 will not have an editor. Poke around at what we know of A4, and you'll see why I say this.

Also, Jeff doesn't particularly respond to the community's wishes. Even if we kicked and screamed and said that A4 should have an editor, it still wouldn't, and no one is kicking and screaming.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #106
quote:
The question is, is someone going to work for a while to improve the editor to allow new races to be made?
This is just not something that can be done by modifying the editor alone. BoA itself would have to be modified to allow this, and Jeff isn't going to make major changes like that after release.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Apprentice
Member # 5421
Profile #107
How about a multi-plot where you can join the Empire, lead the Rebellion, become a merciless bandit, or do something with the Vahnatai well I don't know.

[ Monday, January 31, 2005 15:09: Message edited by: Kamakaski2 ]

--------------------
The number 5421 is the OTHER meaning of the universe.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #108
For what it's worth, I got more of a sense that the vahnatai are adept at anything they turn their hands to simply because they have the time to perfect their skills. That's true for their warriors, who can face the best of the heavily armed and armored troops of Avernum and the Empire while essentially wearing tissue paper.

While Erika slowly starts winning her battle with Rentar-Ihrno, I got more of a sense that they were evenly matched and Erika just happened to get the edge. Think of it as two chess grand masters or two great athletes competing. One wins and one loses, but it's not the same every time. Just like humans can really only reach a certain level of physical prowess, living things can only have so much magical might. Erika and Rentar have both hit that limit.

—Alorael, who likes options and different threads in plots. So does Jeff, judging by Geneforge. Avernum has always been different, though, so A4 has even odds of having linear versus multiple plotlines.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4531
Profile #109
Haven't been around here for a while, but I can't resist adding my 2 cents:

- What about a remake ot the Empire war in A2, but from the Empire perspective? Of course we think of Avernum as the good guys, but there are two sides to every story. Point out the atrocities committed by both sides, the real sense of fear among the Empire, the way this whole conflict really boils down to an old grudge between Erika and Garhazad. Even include the A2 heroes as arch-villains this time.

- I don't know Jeff's politics, but the aforementioned suggestion lends itself very well to a commentary on current events. After all, who's Garhazad but Dick Cheney with superpowers?

- I'd really like to see a human versus human conflict rather than human vs. slith/vahnatai/undead/demon. Just think, why is ASR considered to be such a good BoA scenario? Because the bad guys aren't scary monsters but much scarier humans instead.

- I have a theory that Geneforge takes place in the Avernum universe thousands of years later, after Rentar-Ihrno has destroyed all life on the surface and the Shapers are slowly rebuilding surface life using stolen Vahnatai magic. Perhaps proto-shapers will make an appearance in A4 (or R-I will turn out to be the Big Bad Taker Ally in G3).

- Erika returns from the dead. She's too central to the story to just kill her off and have things go on without her. Plus I'd like to see her character developed beyond the egotistical, bitter hermit we've seen so far. And if Prazec does get killed in A4, a resurrected Erika would be the only one truly worthy of succeeding her.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #110
quote:
Originally written by Eric-Ihrno:

I don't know Jeff's politics, but the aforementioned suggestion lends itself very well to a commentary on current events. After all, who's Garhazad but Dick Cheney with superpowers?

Of course, Garzahd was invented at least ten years ago, so it's more like reality copying fantasy. Still, the comparison is eerily apt. I saw Garzahd on the screen and could just imagine him scowling and grumbling "Go -- yourself." :P

And I heard something to the effect that Jeff was libertarian. Don't know when or where I heard that though.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #111
If you take a look at Irony Central, which contains some of Jeff's more random comments on, well, virtually anything, you'll find a pretty bitingly sarcastic rant about George W. Bush. I get the feeling that he is not a supporter of our current administration.

Jeff has not, so far, made any games with direct application to real-world current issues, though. I mean, think about how abstract the issues in GF are. I doubt he'll do anything more explicit than that.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #112
Taking into account that Jeff programs for profit, he is not likely to turn off a part of his customers by pushing his political views in his games. Especially in these times of heated division.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #113
That or maybe Jeff doesnt find politics important enough to taint his games worthiness. Then again I haven't read much about Jeff or what he says in interviews, so what do I know? :P
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #114
He'd be too tempted to push the Scorched Earth Party, and then he'd alienate just about everyone.

Actually, you'll notice that most games avoid real-world politics. Losing customers is part of it. The other part is simply that, as Tolkien notes in the introduction to the Lord of the Rings, allegory is unappealing. Straight proselytizing is worse, as everyone who has ever been a victim knows.

—Alorael, who must say that the Scorched Earth Party is very egalitarian. No matter who you are, the SEP hates you and wants you to die. It's hatred that knows no discrimination!
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #115
I was very tempted to post SEP flyers around my college around voting time.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #116
quote:
Originally written by Half a Hole:

as Tolkien notes in the introduction to the Lord of the Rings, allegory is unappealing. Straight proselytizing is worse, as everyone who has ever been a victim knows.
Sadly, a virtue that has been preserved in computer games far better than in the medium Tolkien was referring to, ie literature. I mean... Clancy? :rolleyes:

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #117
i bleive that A4 will have a either a Vahantai war plot or a prequel plot, and i hope it supports 5 charctors at once and not just 4. What im most curious to know is this: is teh ending with Erika's death cannon in the timeline, or dose it not apply offically to teh game? i think it would be interustign to be able to remove Erika's curse in the game if she survives.
a small note here about teh previous mention of teh Scortched Earth party: it would be hilariosu if Jeff mad a scet which was teh Scortched Earth Party adn sold Lead pipes. ANd a question here: how do we knoe A4 will lakc an editor?

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #118
I'm pretty sure Erika's death is canon.

We know that A4 will lack a scenario editor because Jeff said that he wasn't going to make another game with an editor for several years after he released BoA.

Why on earth would it have an editor? A1, A2, and A3 didn't have editors. A4 isn't going to be a scenario or set of scenarios, like the two Bladeses; it's going to be a full game. An editor wouldn't make sense at all.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #119
Lord Skylak, work on the spelling, man :P

Half a hole wrote:
For what it's worth, I got more of a sense that the vahnatai are adept at anything they turn their hands to simply because they have the time to perfect their skills. That's true for their warriors, who can face the best of the heavily armed and armored troops of Avernum and the Empire while essentially wearing tissue paper.

-If you speak with the Vahnatai in A2, they will tell you point-blank that they are more physically frail than humans, but have more of a tendency towards magic (think Elves). I think it was Bon-Ihrno himself that said that thier warriors were not as good, but they had more magical prowess. It was the vahnatai's MAGIC that beat the empire back. Avernum supplied the hardcore footsoldiers. Not to mention, all the vahnatai who were awake by that time were the most elite and powerfull vahnatai - the best of the best got woken up first. Speaking with the cook in A2 confirms this :P . Despite them being the greatest warriors, they're easy as all hell to kick around in A3, even on Torment difficulty with a singleton OR a party. The only thing that made the Vahnatai Warriors deadly was the fact they all knew magic. It's annoying when your opponents haste themselves and slow you, while thier magic-users summon swarms of monsters. As far as magic goes, Vahnatai have a stronger tendency towards it (all the vahnatai, the warriors, and even the regular "Vahnatai"'s you fight) know at least a few basic mage spells. The regular Vahntai's are the only ones you can really get an accurate reading of the race from. My reading was: They die in one hit from just about anything, and they can't do much of anything in melee. They can slow you, though (bastards). And they have higher Init than you would expect *Shrug* speaking of which, the warriors also have the ability to strike twice in a single round with Melee weapons. Also, the vahnatai have greater magical technology. But even assuming humans discovered all thier magic tech, they would still have a magic edge in that even the regular Vahnatai walking down the street can use Light and Bolt of Fire. So it strikes me that vahnatai basicly have the following:

Pros:
Bonus to mage spells, either starting with a few extra points of them or getting a few points as levelup (much like the Nephilim DEX bonus in BoA)Which will also give them the enhanced magic resistance they seemed to have, although a few plusses to the Resistance stat might also be warranted.

Bonus to Dexterity, parry or quickstrike, because they get two swings with a light weapon at once, get higher init, and higher defense starting out than a normal human. Note that they dont ever seem to get to throw two razordisks at once, however.

Cons:

Physically frail frame, low Hardiness/Endurance makes them easy to take down in a couple hits.

Light frame: Unable to carry much weight, unable to wear armor, unable to use heavy weapons (Basicly, they cant wear armor beyond what a normal, non Natural Mage would be able to cast spells in, and put a lbs. limit on thier melee weapons) if they use a heavy melee weapon, I'd say they'd lose thier second strike and the weapon would count as two-handed, and they cant use normally two-handed weapons (Pikes, Halberds, Greatswords) at all (Other than the Alien Blade as it's essentially a two-handed Waveblade, hence pretty light, albeit too large to use one-handed)

Slow learning: A 60 year old vahnatai in A3 was just a child, who had devoted all those years to learning spells, yet still barely knew Simulacrum and Capture soul (luckily, she could teach them to you ^.^) Hence, an EXP penalty would be in order, as with other non-human races, I believe.

(If anyone disagrees with my idea for handling thier pros/cons, lemme know)

Half a hand wrote:

While Erika slowly starts winning her battle with Rentar-Ihrno, I got more of a sense that they were evenly matched and Erika just happened to get the edge. Think of it as two chess grand masters or two great athletes competing. One wins and one loses, but it's not the same every time. Just like humans can really only reach a certain level of physical prowess, living things can only have so much magical might. Erika and Rentar have both hit that limit.

-Except Rentar was in her OWN fortress, the advantage of a defensive position, and she came into the battle with a pre-prepared magic shield, giving her a SIZEABLE advantage. Despite this, she was unable to harm Erika, and Erika was rending the shield apart and had almost finished it. *Shrug* open for debate, I suppose, but I beat the game just a couple days ago, so it's still somewhat fresh in my mind.
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #120
With the BoA released, I hope Avernum 4 is gonna be really different from that you all suppose. Cause if you want a new Vahnatai-Empire war, you just make you're own scenario. I think in some month, there's gonna be a lots of them.

I hope the main plot's gonna be REALLY different from what I read in this topic. I don't want another Slith war (like main plot), or "Avernum 4: The Return of The Vahnatai"...Spidweb isn't Blizzard, and Avernum isn't Diablo.

I want something really exciting for the Avernum's fan, like exploring the surface in Avernum 3. If you have played Avernum 1 and 2 before, you got really...mmh, excited when you walk outside for the first time ! You've eard so many things about it...

So, just have a plot like "Mmh, ultimate war is raging outside, now, go to your first diplomatic mission, after, you will have to find some allies, then, sharp your blade, there's gonna be some painfull fights".

I don't think Jeff is gonna make just a long BoA scenario. In the BoA basics scenario, he gives us a Slith war, and a rebel story. He's not gonna make that again.

And don't you think it's gonna be about the first adventurer's band send in Avernum ? (Perhaps you all have discuss about it, and I'm sorry, I haven't check the forum since some month...)

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #121
My suggestion was that you would have to adventure all the way from down in the Vahnatai caverns and Avernum where the fight is raging, and all across the surface world, looking for allies :P getting them from wherever possible. So basicly, I think we're going to get both surface and underground in this one, I think it's going to a real climactic game :P either way, I AM going to make a scenario out of my "idea for avernum 4's plot" after I finish a few smaller, easier scenarios first.

[ Wednesday, February 02, 2005 00:56: Message edited by: Solodric ]
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #122
Oh, and please note, Kalendon, that while Rentar Ihrno's clan left, there were many other vahnatai who weren't at war with the humans. Such as the Vahnatai in Valley of Dying Things. The Vahnatai were splintered into many factions, apparently, with some of them not even being away that the vahnatai and humans were at war (though all knew about the humans at that point, as them being capable of human speech testifies.

And thats my 2c and I'll kill the bastard that takes'em
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #123
Yes, there are many clans of vahnatai. Rentar-Ihrno's clan is the one you interact with in A2 and A3, but there are others, and probably still some who haven't heard of humans.

I don't disagree that the vahnatai are physically frail, but I don't remember where anyone claims that the vahnatai are inferior warriors. They have inferior weapons in some ways, but compare the vahnatai to the humans and the vahnatai are clearly superior. (Your party doesn't count for the obvious reason that you can single-handedly dismantle an entire province of the Empire.)

—Alorael, who would not be too sure that Spiderweb is not trying to be Blizzard. For one thing, Blizzard makes good money churning out its games. For another, Jeff has said that he caters to the hack and slash crowd.
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #124
I never said they were inferior warriors. They're not as strong or as durable. They ARE faster, and speed is what really makes the warrior. They can move farther faster, they can attack twice in melee in a single round, and they get a bonus to dex OR parry, or both, and/or maybe GYM as well.

Like I said, it's a tradeoff, but I can definitly see a way to balance vahnatai :P

Pages