Morality question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Morality question
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #50
I've given out my address, now I'm waiting to see who gets to me first. In case you missed it, 2015 Lynch, Las Cruces, New Mexico.

--------------------
I am the way into the doleful city
I am the way into eternal grief,
I am the way to a foresaken race.
Justice it was that moved my great creator;
Divine omnipotence created me,
And highest wisdom joined with primal love.
Before me nothing but eternal things
Were made, and I shall last eternally
Abandon all hope, all you who enter.

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #51
can't we launch an ICBM instead?

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #52
Please, spare my neighbors, they have nothing to do with this. Shoot me right in the face instead.

--------------------
I am the way into the doleful city
I am the way into eternal grief,
I am the way to a foresaken race.
Justice it was that moved my great creator;
Divine omnipotence created me,
And highest wisdom joined with primal love.
Before me nothing but eternal things
Were made, and I shall last eternally
Abandon all hope, all you who enter.

Agent
Member # 27
Profile #53
Man slaughter is not charged as heavily as murder.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #54
1) Ask. Shoot. Since the rules of the scenario indicate that there's no way to get the person out. Since it is an imaginary scenario maybe it is possible to pull a Kobayashi Moru and change the rules, by, for instance, using the single bullet to hit the car in such a way that it creates a secondary explosion which pushes in the flames from the first explosion and at the same time creates a space in car from which the person can escape, though with the cost of being horribly and irreparably burned, but since it is the person I love most in life, that won't matter to me. In fact, to bring balance to the relation ship I'll breafly bathe myself in flames so that I, too, am horribly and irreparably burned.

2) If we were idiotic enough to enter this pact we both deserve to die. Good riddance, I say.

Anyway, thanks Alec and Xan K for these scenarios they have a semblance with the prisoner's dilemma or game theory.

Kind of like:
You are in the jungle of some African country, say Zambia. You're walking, with your shotgun and one bullet left down the shore of a river.
Suddenly, on the opposite shore you see a magical, evil, talking giraffe who has in its grip both your daughter and your wife. You take aim to shoot. It laughs manicaly and evily (and magicaly) and screams:
"If you kill me, your wife dies, if you let me live your daughter dies."

Or:

You, your mother (whom you deeply love) and beloved spouse (whom you also deeply love) have been trapped by a mad scientist. He has trapped your two loved ones in separate rooms, where communication with one another is impossible.
He says in his mad, evil (not magical) voice:
"A time bomb has been put in each of their rooms. It will detonate in one minuter and thirty seven seconds.
"In front of you is a little mauve button. If you press it, your mother dies. If you don't press it, your spouse dies."
Your mother is only 12 years older than you, still young.
What do you do?

And others like that.
You can only decide what to do. You can not be guilty by you decision. Whatever you do, someone dies.
These are simple, in a way.

What about if the same mad scientist only managed to capture you and your spouse because your mother used her reliquiary of an umbrealla to make a spectacular escape.

You and your spouse are trapped in separate rooms.
In front of you is a daunting mauve button.
A bomb will go off in 1 minute and 34 seconds.
The first person to press the button saves the other one, but sacrifices him or herself.
What do you do?

A more serious approach than these silly scenarios was used, believe it or nut, during the cold war.
It has also been used in many differen real life scenarios.
Game theory is neat.
Salud!

[ Wednesday, December 22, 2004 14:25: Message edited by: Berkelium steroid causistry ]

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Your mother is only 12 years older than you, still young.
Er...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #56
only for the adopted

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #57
When I press the button to kill my mother will I salivate just like Pavlov's dog. Maybe I can attach some electrodes to the giraffes eyeballs and every time it gets too close to the mad scientist it will get a shock. Or maybe I can ask the giraffe to fake a scream. You are told that if you beat the giraffe with a stick it will run toward the mad scientist and it will get a horrible shock. The more it screams the more bananas you will get.

Stupid behaviorist games are only funny for a while. The objective is not moral but to test if people have Pavlovian reactions. Games theory works best when people don't realize they are part of the game.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #58
Pavlovian reactions?

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Berkelium steroid causistry:

You are in the jungle of some African country, say Zambia. You're walking, with your shotgun and one bullet left down the shore of a river.
Suddenly, on the opposite shore you see a magical, evil, talking giraffe who has in its grip both your daughter and your wife. You take aim to shoot. It laughs manicaly and evily (and magicaly) and screams:
"If you kill me, your wife dies, if you let me live your daughter dies."

Shoot your wife.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #60
What the hell?

If you shoot the giraffe, how is he going to kill your wife?

Regardless... the answer is obvious: shoot yourself, your life sucks anyway.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #61
Shoot the bloody giraffe. You don't want it to kill someone in your family and get away with it.

I'm anti-Death Penalty normally, but that's for humans, not for evil magical animals. Kill em all.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #62
You are visiting Starsky and Hutch laboratories. You are near broke and can barely afford your apartment. Lately you gave blood to the blood bank to pay the rent. You saw an advertisement in the local free hippy paper for people to take part in an experiment for money. You go in the front door. A professor Xavier is waiting for you. You are very hungry. He tells you that he wants you to participate in an experiment. You can see a man strapped to a chair . There are wires leading into his underwear. Professor Xavier shows you a dial numbered one to ten. He tells you that each setting will increase the current to the man in the chair having an increased chance of killing him. For each increased level of current you will get a banana. The bananas are redeemable for $50 each. He hands you a consent form which says you will not be responsible if you kill the man in the chair if you decide to continue the experiment. Do you sign it? Assuming you have signed the form. You sit down and turn the dial to one, the man grits his teeth, you turn it two his eyes start bugging out, you turn it to three the man starts to scream. You have three bananas-- how far will you turn the dial?

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #63
Leave it on three, get the $150 and go get a job.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #64
Actually, I reconsidered. Turn the freakin dial around and around! :D

[ Thursday, December 23, 2004 12:02: Message edited by: - ]

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #65
Yeah, it's not like you know the poor bastard, and you need the cash.

[ Thursday, December 23, 2004 12:08: Message edited by: The Absolut Sagacious stranger ]

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #66
It makes sense to just turn as far is it can go.

You don't know him, he's hanging out with a Professor Xavier (obviously he's a mutant), so he can probably take the heat.

And besides, you signed saying you aren't responsible. Why on EARTH would you not go through with an action that you aren't held responsible for? That's a once-in-a-lifetime chance!

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #67
If it's already at 3, then stop.

That is, if you're the only one participating in the experiment. Why is this Xavier guy doing this anyway? It makes no sense.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #68
It's Milgram with a twist! I'd give myself a change of, oh, 65% for cranking it up all the way. No, make that 75% to account for monetary incentive.

—Alorael, who supports his scientists, right or wrong. If he has to be a blind follower, he might as well follow something that has produced tangible good along with tangible evil.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #69
those are cheap bananas. Can I come back to this same place using a groucho marx disguise and do it again? 500$ may not pull me from the mess I'm in. I think I can sell my body in the streets and get the same money. It'll take me longer though (far far far longer)
I suspect that place, too. Starsky and Hutch sound like cops to me. What's really going on? Are they screening people for possible crimninal tendencies? What's with the bananas? Do they have trackers? I'll probably never be able to spend my money anyway.
I'll leave that place, hide near the front door and knock unconscious anybody who tries to get in (until they knock me unconscious and tie me to the chair, that is. That's where I land for playing the hero)
And Xavier sounds like either a mutant or a Jesuit. Or a French Jesuit Mutant.
No sir, don't like it.

[ Thursday, December 23, 2004 21:00: Message edited by: Berkelium steroid causistry ]

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #70
Somebody lives in New Orleans or Cincinatti...

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #71
I'd turn it all the way around. This being a Milgram experiment, the 'victim' is obviously an actor who is not actually feeling any pain. You get money for cranking up a fake electric chair - no moral problems involved at all!

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #72
You are frazzled. After a while you turn to leave. Dr. Xavier comes out and tells you the experiment is over. He tells you that you actually did not kill anyone, it was just a test to see how far an ordinary person would go in torturing a person for money. He asks you to sign a consent form and a confidentiality agreement. You are given $500 and told to tell no one about the experiment.

You are walking home from the lab. As you are passing a small cafe a man cuts in front of you. He puts his hand on your shoulder it feels like a vise grip and tells you to sit down. He tells you to sit down and hands you a business card. His name is Mr. Lee, he is a lawyer for Gambino and Tong. He tells you that he is aware of the experiment you were in and that it was illegal.

He is wondering if you felt any mental anguish, stress, or coersion in doing the experiment. He will give you $2000 up front if you will testify against Starsky and Hutch labs. He thinks he can force a settlement of $20,000. He opens his briefcase and takes out a piece of paper and asks you to sign it. What do you do?

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #73
I'd send Dr. Xavier a letter explaining that he is about to be sued like he's never been sued before. Then I can see what he's willing to cough up to keep me quiet.

—Alorael, who would like to see the results of an anti-Milgram experiment where test subjects are told that their "victims" are actors in such a way that it seems like they're not supposed to know. Then, when they crank it up all the way without worrying, have the scientist inform them that they were tricked and they actually did kill someone. What psychological effects would that cause?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #74
PISS WITH ME FOREVER

--------------------

Pages