Arafat dead?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Arafat dead?
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #0
While half-listening to Bush's press conference today, one journalist mentioned to him in a question that the AP has reported that Arafat just died (this is unconfirmed). What do you all think about this? What impact might this have on the peace effort and Israeli-Palestinian relations? A set back, or a chance for a new start?

[ Thursday, November 04, 2004 08:01: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #1
This news came from Israel's TV. But from what I can find out he's not yet dead, at least that's what the French say.

Edit: I don't know the correct term. A literal translation would be: brain dead. He is not clinically dead, he's brain dead. Heart and lungs continue functioning, due to the equipment he is linked to. This can go on for weeks, if the machines are not stopped, so there should be time enough for his successors to organize themselves. I expect a harsh struggle for power.

[ Thursday, November 04, 2004 09:39: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Brain-dead is a pretty decent translation, ef. He's in an irreversible coma?

From a quick search on Google, it appears that the Palestinians have released conflicting reports (probably exacerbated by the difficult of translating between French, Arabic, English, and probably a handful of other languages) on Arafat's declining and apparently critical health.

At any rate, maybe this means that the U.S. will take its head out of its rear end and make a more substantial attempt to help resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. If we wanted to reduce anti-U.S. sentiment in the Middle East, taking steps forward in that process would certainly help — and that would probably give extremist groups less of a platform.

And I think Bush has claimed that Arafat is a significant roadblock in the negotiations, at least in their minds. Clinton didn't seem to have the same trouble with him, but Bush has. So... maybe this means we'll negotiate again. And maybe that will actually help the situation in the Middle East.

Or maybe the Bush administration will come up with some other reason not to negotiate because they know that if they do, they will incompetently bungle the whole thing. I don't know. I have no faith in our current administration.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #3
I had heard that the U.S. was reopening negotiations with Palestine, but I dont't know how Arafat's coma will affect that. If the U.S. is serious about negotiations, I guess that they will go to whoever is next in the chain of command after Arafat.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
With Arafat dead, we can only pray that the Hamas don't take control.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #5
OT: TM, which part of WI do you live in, anyway? I did my time for four years in Appleton at Lawrence.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
Milwaukee. In other words, we ain't even close.
Oh yeah- Stareye's at UW right now as well. (Which is where I won't be, since my grades are piddlingly low.)

[ Thursday, November 04, 2004 11:50: Message edited by: Roger Fickmann ]

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #7
Heh - Appleton's just a small two hour drive north!

As for UW, there's always UW-zero. :D
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
Arafat was a main stumbling block on the road to peace. At Camp David, there was a peace settlement all worked out, and Arafat's aides were encouraging him to sign it, but he just walked out.

Until he's out of Palestinian politics forever, there will be no peace.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #9
:( It always hits the wrong ones. Why can't Sharon become brain-dead?

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
spy, are you suggesting Arafat was a "right one?" Sharon just went against the will of the Likud party and started settlement withdrawals. That to me signifies that he's taking the right steps.

[ Thursday, November 04, 2004 12:44: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #11

Actually, if you had actually thought about it for five seconds, these minor withdrawals are just tactics to get everyone off his (Sharon) back. He still has the majority of the West Bank and if he gives that up, I will eat my socks.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #12
Sure, but considering Sharon's association with the original establishment of the settlements, it's a big change. He's not as much of a loony as he might be.

Whereas Arafat never really transformed from the terrorist/freedom fighter of the 70s into a proper statesman. He masqueraded as such, but his administration is horribly corrupt and the PA has a weak power structure, with no obvious successor.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #13
Well, say whatever you want about him being a terrorist and a bad man and all that, but I feel sad... He looks so nice (yeah yeah, call me naive), just like Castro! I would like to have one of them as my grandpa... If the personalities were switched a little.

Personally, I don't see an end to the whole mess, except for the Bushieboy hand of "justice" of course...

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
I think, with Arafat almost dead, everybody will argue over who will become the next Palentinian President, then there will be a civil uprising, and Palestine will go into chaos. It's a possibility.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Apprentice
Member # 4989
Profile #15
Did you know that Arafat won a Nobel Piece Prize? It just goes to show how screwed up Scandinavian politics are.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #16
quote:
I think, with Arafat almost dead, everybody will argue over who will become the next Palentinian President, then there will be a civil uprising, and Palestine will go into chaos. It's a possibility.
Wow, that sounds so familiar...

[ Thursday, November 04, 2004 18:43: Message edited by: Partisan Slith ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Smuggler:

Did you know that Arafat won a Nobel Piece Prize? It just goes to show how screwed up Scandinavian politics are.
To be fair, this was back when Rabin was the Israeli PM and everyone thought peace in the Middle East was imminent (until a Jewish Israeli who opposed the peace process shot him). Rabin and Peres shared the prize.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #18
They said he "was transferred to an institution for treatment more appropriate to his condition".

Whereupon, of course, the word "morgue" has been travelling the web like a wildfire.

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #19
Leila Schahid, the palestinian ambassador, has been dementing the news and speaks of a reversible coma Arafat went into after the application of anaesthetics. I don't know, if that is true or not. The Palestinians seem to follow the official and legal course for the time being, that - in any such situation - authorises Secretary of State Ahmed Kureia to lead in Arafat's stead for 60 days.

--------------------
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #20
quote:
At any rate, maybe this means that the U.S. will take its head out of its rear end and make a more substantial attempt to help resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. If we wanted to reduce anti-U.S. sentiment in the Middle East, taking steps forward in that process would certainly help — and that would probably give extremist groups less of a platform.

If the U.S. does intervene it would probably do it with it's familiar strong arm tactics and screw up once more. Making it even more unpopular-

My searches on Arafat have said that he is in a reversible coma, possibly due to a worsening of his condition, or perhaps the "sleeping pills" they gave him

[ Friday, November 05, 2004 06:04: Message edited by: m's chosen ]
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #21
Well, after what I heard just moments ago, Big A ain't dead/brain dead. He is stable condition, relatively stable condition...

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
A dead man is in a *very* stable condition.

That said, I don't think he died, but I also doubt he will be seeing the end of the year.

Whether this is a death of natural causes is also a question that will likely remain unanswered for some time yet.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #23
IMAGE(http://alec.desperance.net/showcase/iraqi.jpg)

[ Friday, November 05, 2004 14:20: Message edited by: Fear Uncertainty and Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

.... Rabin and Peres shared the prize.
Didn't Rabin, Peres and Arafat share the Nobel peace prize for the agreement over a partial autonomy of Gaza and Jericho?

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.

Pages