Team America: World Police

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Team America: World Police
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #25
What I want to see is an animation of Michael Moore and Rush Limbaugh put in a boxing ring and forced to beat the hell out of each other. Have Howard Stern as the judge. It would be amusing.

Then we could have a wrestling match between Noam Chomsky and William F. Buckley judged by William F. Lehrer.

Why do Americans have to have political messages turned into idiotic one liners designed to be repeated by talk show hosts? It is getting both ridiculous and moronic.

Are the candidates trying to reach unemployed people drinking beer in their boxer shorts? Is this the vision of the undecided voter.

Somehow politics and the nightly news has become nothing more than sound bite infotainment.

This movie couldn't have been made a success without the current political environment. Anything that is entertaining to the voter goes.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #26
quote:
Liberals don't stay on the line very long there.
That is only because Hannity's ego is too big to let them talk. He inturrupts, as do all conservative pundits, don't even GET ME STARTED on o'liely....

quote:
What I want to see is an animation of Michael Moore and Rush Limbaugh put in a boxing ring and forced to beat the hell out of each other. Have Howard Stern as the judge. It would be amusing.
Err... they are both too... not in shape to effectively fight.

[ Wednesday, October 20, 2004 15:14: Message edited by: Doctor Mezzulah ]

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #27
Not only do they interupt but they flout their intelligence in the callers face doing their best to intimidate them- They drown out any good points in opposition and are generally very enjoyable to listen to if you let your emotions go free- Sometimes- maybe once in every 10(for the more moderate) or 100(for the less moderate) they have a good point themselves, but generally they can just take control of any conversation. "Looking After You America" Hrumph- I havn't listened to any of them since last December though and I can imagine that it is even worse with the election just around the corner-
Are there no liberal counterparts?(Not counting main-stream media) If there are they seem to keep a much lower profile.

[ Wednesday, October 20, 2004 15:44: Message edited by: m's chosen ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #28
There's no counterpart to Hannity (if that's the conservative one) and Limbaugh in the left wing. We just don't have the belligerent, hypocritical moron element, evidently, and even if we did, the media are too right-wing to get aboard something like that.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #29
Yeah apparently you can be a moron and be a liberal you can be belligerent, hypocritical, or just plain evil and be a liberal, but if your going to combine them- well you've got to be a conservative. Some people might say that about good traits too though. It just might not be as obvious..... Eh no examples come to mind- maybe in a couple years.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #30
Actually, m, I've heard liberal speakers who are easily as obnoxious as Hannity and O'Reilly, it's just that they're not famous and they don't have talk shows.

One of them, a speaker on one of the "debate" shows on FOX, was so belligerent and moronic that I was glad when the host shut him the hell up, honestly.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #31
Belligerence from liberals usually only comes out on issues like smoking bans and the environment. Otherwise, seeing as liberals usually have actually lifting people up in mind, it's hard for them to sound belligerent.

What I like about Michael Moore is that his attacks usually consist of throwing existing footage out there, not just making unfounded blanket statements. Although he is a bit self-righteous, and he does edit his scenes together a bit for the greatest effect, largely the facts speak for themselves, which I guess people can't take.

EDIT: I would encourage all of you to find and watch the clip of Jon Stewart on CNN's Crossfire - a good and very sincere interview! You can easily find it by googling it.

[ Thursday, October 21, 2004 04:28: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #32
We also have been talking about it here, and we have the link (as well as a link to his Daily Show right afterwards).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #33
Put Al Franken in a debate with Rush Limbaugh and Limbaugh would last about five minutes. Limbaugh sounds good only when he doesn't have someone to check his idiocies.

Back to sound biting. I hear that if you live in Florida there are so many political commercials for Bush and Kerry that there are no regular product advertisements anymore on television.

It has gotten so bad that you can turn on the television and watch the news getting political commentary on the Kerry and Bush campaigns, then watch several commercials about Bush and Kerry interspersed between commercial breaks.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #34
Where I live, the DC/Virginia region, there are hardly any ads at all, since DC is Democrat territory to a profound degree and Virginia is pretty soundly in POTUS' pocket. I think though that I would prefer the political ads while I watch the World Series to those blasted Mazda ads - "There's this car that has all this stuff! Then I see another car, and it has all this stuff!" Jesus! What the heck demographic are they trying to break into with that ad?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
People who have tons of cash and no brains. There are quite a lot of those out there, so it might be a good marketing strategy...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #36
You know, I read an interesting sentiment recently - "You'd have to be a megalomaniac to think that you're fit to represent all of the people in your province/state/country."

And then someone else's response...that only people who don't want to become leaders should be allowed to be leaders.

Really, think about it. =^.^=

--------------------
Digital Neko - more nekojin per capita than you can beat senseless! Now featuring all-new subdomain!
Vote Richter! Belmont in 2004!
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #37
quote:
Written by Imban
Actually, m, I've heard liberal speakers who are easily as obnoxious as Hannity and O'Reilly, it's just that they're not famous and they don't have talk shows.

One of them, a speaker on one of the "debate" shows on FOX, was so belligerent and moronic that I was glad when the host shut him the hell up, honestly
Thanks- It really can get maddening when someone takes something that you actually think is right and then goes to such extremes with it that it is stupid. But they still can be amusing- its just when they are taken as examples of their political group that it is frustrating.

quote:
Back to sound biting. I hear that if you live in Florida there are so many political commercials for Bush and Kerry that there are no regular product advertisements anymore on television.

It has gotten so bad that you can turn on the television and watch the news getting political commentary on the Kerry and Bush campaigns, then watch several commercials about Bush and Kerry interspersed between commercial breaks.
Heh it is pretty bad- It sure seems like every other ad is political- And also there are a couple of other politicians running for senator and assyblyman, and represenative that have attached their run to that of either Bush or Kerry- So the ads are rather jumbled- I just mute them now.

[ Thursday, October 21, 2004 12:50: Message edited by: m's chosen ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Whyte Shadow:

You know, I read an interesting sentiment recently - "You'd have to be a megalomaniac to think that you're fit to represent all of the people in your province/state/country."

And then someone else's response...that only people who don't want to become leaders should be allowed to be leaders.

Really, think about it. =^.^=

Douglas Adams, I seem to remember.

The problem, he went on to state, being of course how to find out if someone actually and truly does not want to become a leader, and then how to persuade him/her to become such.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #39
I question the use of the word 'bias', period. It's lost all meaning -- it's been twisted into meaning "lack of balance."

The obsession with balance in American media is pretty sickening. It's more or less destroyed analytical journalism. Look at that Crossfire episode with Jon Stewart -- Paul Begala pretty vehemently claims that Crossfire is a good debate show because it features "both sides."

But what are the sides? Paul Begala is a moderate Democrat; he worked for Clinton. Tucker Carlson is a relatively conservative Republican. Both tow the party line. Even from the flawed "left-right" analysis, that isn't balanced.

Numerous viewpoints are totally lacking. There are no Greens, no fascists, no Communists, no libertarians. The show is essentially representatives of the two parties yelling at each other. That's 'balance' -- two opposing forces.

In reality, you can't have a debate show with representatives of two factions. Any debater will tell you that the point of a debate is to debate a single point. Thus, Crossfire is not a debate show -- one side claims they're right. The other side claims they're right. Insults are slung. Snide remarks are made. Begala says something about Bush being voted out. The audience cheers.

It's sickening.

Regarding Michael Savage. He's probably the single worst representative of conservatism there could be; his entire schtick is based on harassment and insults. And, of course, he's an explicit homophobe in a way that must make Fred Phelps proud.
He doesn't just think homosexuality is wrong. He doesn't just oppose gay rights. No, he literally hates gay people. Witness the unprovoked attack on a gay caller to his television show: "What I think is you should get AIDS and die." Perhaps the single most odious words ever spoken on the medium. Got his TV show canceled, but he still has his radio show and his books. He's scum.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #40
Now Dan Savage, on the other hand...

I love that guy's column.

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

Where I live, the DC/Virginia region, there are hardly any ads at all, since DC is Democrat territory to a profound degree and Virginia is pretty soundly in POTUS' pocket. I think though that I would prefer the political ads while I watch the World Series to those blasted Mazda ads - "There's this car that has all this stuff! Then I see another car, and it has all this stuff!" Jesus! What the heck demographic are they trying to break into with that ad?
Are you kidding? Virginia is, according to most electoral projections whose methodology doesn't involve making a pretty, pretty map in which Bush wins, a swing state.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #42
Forget Bush, Kerry, Nader, and all those other guys. Vote Richter.

--------------------
Digital Neko - more nekojin per capita than you can beat senseless! Now featuring all-new subdomain!
Vote Richter! Belmont in 2004!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #43
Well, if it is, and I doubt it, they aren't spending their money in the Northern Virginia market, 'cause we aren't getting any ads. :)
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #44
Balance in this context should not mean two viewpoints of equal extremity. It should mean examining both sides of the arguments, admitting the flaws in your points and the strengths of the other sides and still justifying how exactly you are right.

Trouble is that whilst that's good practice in academia, TV producers want to see their guests act like performing monkeys.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Apprentice
Member # 5508
Profile #45
Well i was trying out the thing at http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14982295 because all my freinds got free iPods from there and it turned out that i had to refer people so i was wondering if anyone else wanted a free iPod to help me out and yourselves.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #46
What I think is you should get AIDS and die.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Spartan:

Well i was trying out the thing at http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14982295 because all my freinds got free iPods from there and it turned out that i had to refer people so i was wondering if anyone else wanted a free iPod to help me out and yourselves.
please sit on the giant chainsaw while i go and rev it up.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #48
To elaborate on the above two replies, I doubt that that site's given out a single free iPod.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #49
It's a shame how a perfectly good topic - may it rest in peace - had to be disturbed in its grave this way.

--------------------

Pages