Newbie...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Newbie...
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #0
I have been lurking among these boards as a wonderer for some time now. I am not only amazed by the games, but the whole little society on these boards, and I really would like to be a part of it all. I have actually been hooked on the Exile Trilogy and BoE since I got the demos on a Mac Addict CD all those years ago... And I see there are quite a few posts like this... when newbies say hello, and everyone who are inclined to say hello say so. And I hate to be repetitive and meaningless in my first post... so I would like to make this post a little different from the rest of newbie posts by saying...
*In a high pitch voice*TRA-LALA WHAMBAM...SHIZAM! OOGLE WOOGLE MOOGLE
*In a low, despondent evil menace tone*
MWA HA HA HA HAAAA....

And if I have made you all think I am a fool and just publicly embarassed myself... I apologize and beg for all of you for your respect and forgivenes...

Oh, and hello everybody! :)

PS. Is there an unofficial list of rules that I need to abide by of a list of requirements or something like that?

[ Monday, September 06, 2004 14:28: Message edited by: Wham Bam Shizam ]

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #1
Abide by the CoC and don't tread on too many toes and you'll do okay.

Considering the regular stupidity of some, don't worry, you haven't embarassed yourself. Respect is earned, however; usually grudgingly.

And hello.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
And don't be like ben. I think that should be added to the CoC.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #3
Amen. I mean I can be annoying when I try (and on here I often do), but Ben is a bloomin' "merchant banker" in terms of annoyance.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #4
Hi! The only unofficial rule I can think of right now is don't revive old, pointless topics unless you want to getg flamed(I made this mistake).

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #5
Hello! Another rule to follow is not to be like me. It's a bad thing, in a bad way.

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #6
Nope, I'm sure that's mentioned as a minor adjunct of the CoC. If not, it'll be in a part of it in Announcements.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #7
Everyone was new at one point, and everyone is new if they join a different forum. It's pointless to pick on other folks, honestly.

One person's arrogance in calling another a n00b might be just how the other person is, such as in their culture, religion, etc.

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #8
Hmmm... I must say, I really appreciate all of your responses... it helps to know that people actually are still willing to reply to these "newbie posts". However, I must ask several questions about your replies... how does Ben act? How specifically are these people's behaviour bad? Rowen? What makes your acting bad? Is there a link to a thread you could post? I am not trying to generate bad talk about other people, or to get to goody-goody for that manner; and if you think telling me how people act is bad, don't reply. I don't want you or I to get in trouble.

[ Monday, September 06, 2004 15:27: Message edited by: Wham Bam Shizam ]

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #9
Hey there, Wham. Welcome aboard the Satellite of Spidweb. I'm Whyte Shadow, and I see you've already met our crew of robots, mutants and zombies.

Anyway, people here aren't too hostile most of the time, so just post about pretty much anything you like. Hope you enjoy it. =^.^=

--------------------
Digital Neko - more nekojin per capita than you can beat senseless! Now featuring all-new subdomain!
Vote Richter! Belmont in 2004!
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #10
Just read some of the current active topics here on general. You'll get the picture.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #11
For ben just read through the recent general posts as something 4808 or something like that, he seems to have been fairly active recently and for Rowen? I'd like an answer to that question too. Seems like a fairly respectable guy :rolleyes: -

[ Monday, September 06, 2004 15:38: Message edited by: macrsp ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #12
Shoot! Why does this keep happening to me!!!? FBM, I did not do this. This is the 7th time my posts have repeated without me doing anything. :mad:

[ Tuesday, September 07, 2004 16:59: Message edited by: Nicothodes ]

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
Hi, I'm the one people call Ben. Welcome to the boards.

quote:
Originally written by Wham Bam Shizam:
how does Ben act? How specifically are these people's behaviour bad? Rowen? What makes your acting bad?
What makes us people bad? Well, I was going to link to that topic a while back that RC locked, but it's too late now. Bummer. Uh, we post too much, say too much annoying and/or offensive things, and post too much spam, I guess. I'm sure other people have things they'd like to add. However, I hope you won't find me too bad, as I take a chance and claim I'm not as bad as I was a month ago. ;)

Oh, and for Rowen:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!11!1! I got reply #13 of this topic!

~I'm the best person that ever lived!

That's Rowen behavior.

[ Monday, September 06, 2004 15:53: Message edited by: The Great 4808 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #14
Nico... don't make me slap you for wantonly increasing your post count by posting the same thing twice in the same topic, within thirty minutes.

EDIT: Cut and pasted, no less.

And Ben, do us all a favour, and actually take into account when you are causing suffering in people by your stupidity, which is soo large that it is nuclear in proportion.

[ Monday, September 06, 2004 15:45: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #15
Just one more comment, and then I will leave you all alone for the moment. So how do you earn respect and status?

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #16
To earn status? Hmm... if you mean something like a custom title, you have to perform a major service to the community. For example, I believe we have a member or three with the custom of "cartographer" (though the only one that springs to mind is Riibu) for annotated maps that were created.

As for respect, do something memorable. REALLY memorable.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #17
You act respectable as a newbie, get people to enjoy reading your posts, learn the unspoken rules of the boards quick, and gradually build up your post count to a respectable number while making important contributions to the community.

EDIT: Yeah, and what FBM said.

[ Monday, September 06, 2004 15:51: Message edited by: The Great 4808 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by The Great 4808:

Oh, and for Rowen:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!11!1! I got reply #13 of this topic!

~I'm the best person that ever lived!

That's Rowen behavior.

Yah, something like that.

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #19
Welcome to Spiderweb boards.

People here can get grouchy if dead topics are revived, or if you make more than one post in a row in a topic (that's what the edit button is for), and there are some who get really grouchy over bad spelling.

If you want to lose respect fast make lots of pointless posts that don't add anything to the issue under discussion, type in AOLspeak, and never EVER say anything that is remotely intelligent.

One final word of warning: Don't forget to leave your sanity at the door.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #20
((
:)
))((^ Welcome Wham Bam!
Enjoy Spiderweb boards. And buy BoA, definitely.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
One surefire way to earn respect is to make good Blades scenarios. Nobody messes with, say, Stareye (who you may find as *i on these boards) because he has made rockin' good BoE (and now BoA) scenarios.

Another way to earn respect is to post insightful comments into whatever discussion may be going on, and to do it consistently for a while. This is probably the most likely way to do it.

And if you have knowledge of the games, any of them, then you can post answers to newbie questions ("I killed the spiders so now I can't finish VoDT what do I do?" and such). If you do this often enough, they may even make you a mod someday. This is apparently how I got a modship over at the Avernum Trilogy and Exile Trilogy boards (in a FIT OF INSANITY by the people at the highest levels as far as I can tell).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
Basically, don't act like an idiot and be helpful.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #23
YOU'RE HOT

Ahem. Be cool. Dawg. Yo.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #24
Well Kel, I can honestly say that I blinked and missed that one.

EDIT: And in a strange, odd and really silly twist I have just noticed that myself and Rowen are now *dum dum deerrrr* Canned!

Well, okay, I did see those two coming.

EDIT2: And talking of cannings, hasn't Zephyr taken enough punishment yet? It's literally been months since I saw anything remotely silly out of him.

[ Tuesday, September 07, 2004 03:49: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]

--------------------

Pages