movie of A3?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: movie of A3?
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #0
hey i know. it sounds weird!!!! but still. i saw this on the E123 :) boards and thought that i should put it on the general boards to find out what all of y'all think about it. :confused:
--i wanna know about who you people want as the characters of the movie.
--i wanna know if y'all really think that this is a good idea.
--maybe it should be a TV series...
--maybe it should be a trilogy???
--maybe i'm goin nuts :eek: but this is one cool idea.
its just that i really like the game and the thought that if the movie was made Jeff would get royalties and make many more :) !!!!!!!!!!yipieeeee :D

--------------------
life is too short to be taken seriously.hmm.but its also the longest thing a person can ever do!
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #1
No no no. This was already done on AT and ET and quite frankly wouldn't work. The style of the games really don't lend themselves to cinematography, not to mention being too long for film.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #2
One of those questions.. ah..

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #3
i'm sorry for all of those icons...but i got carried away. :) :D :o ;) :P :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

like right now.

--------------------------------------------------
ahh help me i'm going cuckoo

--------------------
life is too short to be taken seriously.hmm.but its also the longest thing a person can ever do!
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #4
you guys are talking rubbish.
Dungeons and Dragoms????
And there are more.dont remember thats all. ;)

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #5
E2 could work. It's got the right movement. E1 is too diffuse and the plot is too simple. E3 is too repetitive.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
A) Please use at least some sort of grammer.
B) Don't double post like that.

C) A movie is a stupid idea and deserves to be shot multiple times with an RPG-7.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #7
Ya I will make sure about my grammer in the future. And about the new RP post I wanted people to come and check it out and then make one.
Could you?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
We can and we have done several times. However, they take preparation. I can count the successful RPs in the time since I've been here on one hand.
The latest one to come to conclusion was around January. You can find a copy here.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #9
i want someone to make a new one! notsee an old one.

---can no one help me? :(

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #10
Teh tree is that a-way.

quote:
Aw gee, now I got interested.

Hmm, it's true that the games are far too long to be adapted into a movie(s) on their own, but with some changes it might be possible. For one, you could skip first and second completely, only explaining the background of these in the third. Then there's many, many things from the game you can exclude, like most of the towns, places, subquests and so on. Some things could be combined. Most of the running around would have to be cut, some things would have to be altered into something simpler..

Erm, 'many years ago a great empire formed. It gained control of all the land, but it did not rule wisely. It hunted those who were different, and fought to deprave the land of uniqueness. People who resisted it's reign, were sent to a horrible prison. Miles and miles under the surface, an under-world... Avernum (or Exile).
One day, a group of bold heroes encountered a powerful mage, who was embittered of her exile from the surface. The mage encouraged the heroes to find a way to slay the emperor, and with her help they did. The empire was enraged by the death of their emperor, and as the late emperor's only descendant was only a child, the adviser, a powerful wizard, took control of the empire. He begun a war against Avernum. Teleports were built so that the empire's armies could descend below the surface, though none were big enough to allow the vast quantity of the empire's entire army to go down at once. The empire had started to built a bigger teleport, one that could transport much more people down, but Avernum had great heroes. They destroyed the portal after many adventures, with the help of strange beings from even farther below the ground.
And now... Avernum has its own portal, and they have found a way back to the surface, at last. Avernum wishes no war, it only wants sun again, and nature. All that has been only a distant and vague dream for so long.'

I'm not very good at improvising, it seems. I guess I should just stick with odd stories. At least I know what I'm writing about with them.

[ Tuesday, August 17, 2004 12:40: Message edited by: Animal in Swedish ]

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #11
The simplist reason I can give for an Avernum movie not working, is that, if anything, it would be a Jerry Bruckheimer film.

[ Tuesday, August 17, 2004 07:08: Message edited by: The Ripper ]

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Animal in Swedish:

Helvetti painukaa kaikki kuuseen. I'm going back to lurking >:|.
AHHH DON'T GO

Also, "Animal in Swedish" AHHHHHHHHHHHH

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #14
Ah, Riibu has succefully crimed against the CoC without people even noticing. ^_____________^

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #15
Fine, just once then.

[ Tuesday, August 17, 2004 08:07: Message edited by: Animal in Swedish ]

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
BANNED
Member # 4860
Profile Homepage #16
Swearing in Finnish does not count.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #17
A movie about E3. Well, not a real great idea. First, movie developers would not like making a movie about a non-super-popular RPG that was released without shiny graphics and not distributed to Walmarts across the US. Not saying that Exile was a bad game, but you get the point. Second, Jeff Vogel might object to the notion because obviously he is not looking for huge fame and the huge expectations that come with it, not to mention the job applications.>_< Third, I believe people would want to watch a movie of more reality than fairy-tale style "poor people go out and kill badguys and become heros" story. Not to mention the rather unrealistic elements such as spells, living slimes, potions, etc.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #18
Yeah, ben*, American moviegoers are so concerned with how realistic the movie is. Any movie containing some element that isn't found in real life would be shunned, to be sure.

--------------------
I hate signatures.
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #19
If a film had to be made, the LotR team should make it, they are:
1. Not Holywood.
2. ...

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by The Demonslayer:

A) Please use at least some sort of grammer.
Watch out! Falling irony.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
LotR? You're kidding?

If there is a movie, it should be a movie that *improves* the plot of the original concept. Not one that cuts out one half and turns the other into--- eh, no need to go into that here.

While we're at it, a book based on the game would be a much better idea.

[ Tuesday, August 17, 2004 16:28: Message edited by: Elfy ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #22
<tangentmode>HEY ARANCAYATATAR! YOU SUCK

Now that that's out of the way, I really did like the Lord of the Rings movies. Now, I haven't read the books. I can't stand Tolkein's writing style, really - he may have done a lot of great things for fantasy literature and gaming, but I still hate his writing.

In any case, despite it being almost nine hours worth of movie, there was still no possible way that the movie could have covered everything in the book. There was, in my opinion, absolutely nothing wrong with only using important scenes from the book to make the movie - almost all movies based on books are like this.

And, uh, the edits. Okay, so yeah, Peter Jackson took some creative liberties with what happened in a few places. Given the events of the movie, it made a lot more sense for Arwen to ride out to save Frodo than for some random elf who wouldn't be seen for the rest of the movie to do it.

Oh, and Helm's Deep? Well, uh, it was cool. Yeah. :P </tangentmode>

[ Tuesday, August 17, 2004 17:56: Message edited by: Imban ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
RPGs are, by nature, focused on almost exactly the kind of thing that makes a bad book or movie. Combat is good, but not constantly. Puzzles are a bore. Wandering around? Yeah, right.

If an Exile game were made into a movie, it would probably have to be an adaptation of E2. Take the first three chapters and heavily abridge the fourth and you've got a movie.

It probably wouldn't be very good, but it could be. It would definitely still be a weird movie. Anyone who could make something good out of Exile without editing it so heavily that it really isn't Exile (I, Robot, anyone?) would use their talents better elsewhere.

—Alorael, who happened to like the LotR movies as well. They were very different from the books in everything but plot framework, but they were still good. An Exile movie would have to do the same, only it would need to make for an even greater separation between game and movie than book and movie.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #24
Yup, and other problems still remain. The leading characters have no background (other than being cast into Exile, hurrah) and there is an massive amount of sidekicks (shallow ones, of the speak-to-them-and-begone type). In a movie, all of these would have to be focused on.

Exile 2 has an actual plot that even develops in unpredictable ways and keeps the interest high. The dramatic beginning (skip the nephilim fort, along with most other sub-quests), the dark waters, the new lands and the return. At this point everything would have been built up for a grande finale - of the type Helm's Deep - so Alorael is right, the story would have to be shortened. One crystal to be saved - splendid. Two crystals - possible but not very good. More - boring.

Come to think of it, the movie could start somewhere at the front. In that way, people would get a good idea of what the Empire is, and how impossible the fight is. Dilemma - the seeking and finding of a solution - the solution put into action - harmony restored and dilemma solved. Bingo! Chekhov smiles in his grave!

So, who will tip Hollywood? :P

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #25
Hmm pretty goodidea. The one about the book, that is. I'm a really big fan of reading and think that the thought of a book about Avernum is pretty cool. But it would also be a very unfeaseable idea. Thats what I think atleast.

---Is my Grammer better Deamon Slayer?

--------------------

Pages